Does more than one disc for a game bother you?

• 100 results
Avatar image for feelthefunkness
FeelTheFunkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FeelTheFunkness

Personally, if a game has more content in it, and the transition between discs aren't too frequent and distracting, it wouldn't bother me at all. For example, if Rage had three discs and didn't cut parts from the game, is that really an issue? Is there a reason that I'm not aware of that game developers would want a game on two discs?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

No, I don't care. I don't see why anybody would either.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yes. Especially when I'm playing a game like Mass Effect 2, and I think, hey if this was on PS3, it would be one disc, and that one disc would be scratch resistant.

HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By HODGEY3000

nope
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

Only in certain cases. Tales of Symphonia was a game with one unobtrusive switch, and that was fine. Mass Effect 2 was a wily one that popped up at random even when you had the game installed (I know, it's for security purposes...). It was so random that for awhile I was convinced that installing the game made it so that you didn't have to switch discs. A lot of older PC games which used as many as 6 CDs at least had workarounds so that you didn't have to switch discs (and I'm not talking about only NoCD cracks). On the console, it's a bit different.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

Not really.

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MancombSeepgood
@AndrewB said:
" Only in certain cases. Tales of Symphonia was a game with one unobtrusive switch, and that was fine. Mass Effect 2 was a wily one that popped up at random even when you had the game installed.
Agreed. Certain games are fine, they switch once and that's it until the next disk or the end of the game, and that doesn't bother me at all, but Mass Effect 2 was a terrible implementation of disk-switching.
WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WalkerTR77

I actually prefer it, the transition comes with a fuzzy feeling of accomplishment and normally there is a pretty good act break to mull over during the change. It always reminds me of good times with playstation one final fantasy games.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Hourai

I don't see why it would. All you have to do is get up for a minute and put a different disc in. 

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By one_2nd

no.

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MancombSeepgood
@WalkerTR77 said:
" I actually prefer it, the transition comes with a fuzzy feeling of accomplishment and normally there is a pretty good act break to mull over during the change. It always reminds me of good times with playstation one final fantasy games. "
Ha, same. I loved being able to clear a disk in Final Fantasy games, it definitely came with a "next chapter" sort of feel. I was kinda dissapointed when I saw FF X was only on one disk, even though I knew it would be as big XD
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SteamPunkJin
@MancombSeepgood said:
" @AndrewB said:
" Only in certain cases. Tales of Symphonia was a game with one unobtrusive switch, and that was fine. Mass Effect 2 was a wily one that popped up at random even when you had the game installed.
Agreed. Certain games are fine, they switch once and that's it until the next disk or the end of the game, and that doesn't bother me at all, but Mass Effect 2 was a terrible implementation of disk-switching. "
It really was and they hyped it that they had it all figured out with 'funnel points' but didn't seem to account for doing things in any order than the one they had planned out.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snake, you need to change to DISK TWO. 

Oh wait, this is a blu-ray.  Glad I have a PS3.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thehexeditor

More than one disc is no problem at all. Indeed, some of my fondest PS1 era memories come from accomplishing something of significance in a game and then swapping to the next disc- felt good.

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TonyBlue87

The only time disc swapping was ever a major problem for me was playing Riven on PS1.  5 discs that you have to change every time you change major locations, and there was a lot of back and forth in that game.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Skytylz

Green Names- No
Blue Names-Yes

/thread

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By DanielJW

I quite like multi disk games. Feels old school. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18  Edited By natetodamax

No. It's not a big deal. People that say it is are too lazy to get up and change a disc.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

A little I suppose. Specially when they switch between them more than once.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
@CL60 said:
" No, I don't care. I don't see why anybody would either. "
Play The Legend of Dragoon and then you'll see why people hate them so much.
Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Burns098356GX

Not a bit. I'd rather have to get up, swap a disc that takes all of 15 seconds and have more content in the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Icemael said:
" Not really. "
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SpiralStairs

I remember playing Baldur's Gate 2, it forced you to switch discs when you wanted to go to certain areas (unless you did a full install). It's really annoying having to switch the disc to go to one town, then having to switch it again if you reload in a previous one or if you have to go back again for some reason.

Avatar image for feelthefunkness
FeelTheFunkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FeelTheFunkness

So how do you feel about Id cutting content from Rage in order to reduce the number of discs? I feel like they shouldn't have to pander  to the lazy and disc-switching impaired.

Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Computerplayer1
@Video_Game_King said:
" @CL60 said:
Play The Legend of Dragoon and then you'll see why people hate them so much. "
Sort of true.

I would have changed cd's a million times for that game, however.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By meteora
@Computerplayer1 said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @CL60 said:
Play The Legend of Dragoon and then you'll see why people hate them so much. "
Sort of true.  I would have changed cd's a million times for that game, however. "
The only difference is that you don't frequently head back to the previous chapters, not too often anyways. 

It doesn't bother me at all.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Meteora: 

I found it pretty damn annoying, and I didn't even go for the Stardusts; imagine if somebody wanted to 100% the game, but forgot about the Stardusts until disc 4.
mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By mau64

nah I dont care. If i had to switch them out every time I play the game that would get a little annoying.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By meteora
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Meteora:   I found it pretty damn annoying, and I didn't even go for the Stardusts; imagine if somebody wanted to 100% the game, but forgot about the Stardusts until disc 4. "
Stardusts are a bitch to get, I do remember that. You'd need to follow a FAQ and make sure you get them all (I always get stuck on 49, I think the FAQ I used was inaccurate). 

But yes you do have a point.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LiquidPrince

Anyone who says they prefer it is lying. It is an inconvenience. I was playing Mass Effect 2, and I beat the game. At one point I could either continue or start new game. If you want to continue a different save then you need to pop in a different disc. That is annoying.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By penguindust

No but it can limit the player under certain circumstances.  In Mass Effect 2, this meant that once you made the transition to the 2nd disc, you couldn't go back to any of the places you visited during the first part of the game.  For better or for worse, all those zones no longer existed in the universe because of the 2 disc requirement.  Obviously, the same thing was true on the PC version, but the game was designed with being on a console primarily.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By haggis

No. DVDs are large enough to contain quite a bit of content. Even with Mass Effect 2, there were really only two disc switches, about ten hours or so apart. Lost Odyssey was, what, three discs? Or four? I can't remember. But that game was huge as well. There was more disc switching for that game, and it still didn't bother me.

But, then, I come from the age of Sierra adventure games coming on a dozen 5.25" floppies. So even the moderate disc switching we have today is nothing compared to what we had to endure back then :)

Ah, you youngsters have no idea how good you've got it :)

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DukesT3

Ten years ago no. Nowadays I kind of do since the PS3 is always one disc and you can't do that with the 360. 

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rockanomics

Having used Steam for so long I'm upset if I even have to think about finding discs.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By clarke0

No, unless it's like one of those older PC games where you were expected to change discs constantly from about 6 separate discs. In the PS1 era you felt like you were getting ripped if your RPG didn't come on about 4 discs.

Ashby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ashby

The only time it bothered me back on the PS1 was when the final disc of an RPG had most of its areas unreachable due to some stupid thing because they didn't want to/didn't have the space to program all of the towns and areas on the final disc, so you had to finish most of the sidequests and exploring BEFORE doing that certain storyline that advanced to the final disc. (I'm looking at you and your stupid vines, Final Fantasy IX.) 

I haven't played any next-gens with more than one disc yet, so I dunno if it bothers me.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By MetalBaofu
@PenguinDust said:

" No but it can limit the player under certain circumstances.  In Mass Effect 2, this meant that once you made the transition to the 2nd disc, you couldn't go back to any of the places you visited during the first part of the game.  For better or for worse, all those zones no longer existed in the universe because of the 2 disc requirement.  Obviously, the same thing was true on the PC version, but the game was designed with being on a console primarily. "

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.  There is no problem with going back to places in ME2 while on disc 2....unless I am seriously forgetting something.    I remember 2 disc swaps during my plays of ME2 both of which happen at story points.
memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By memo

I don't care one bit.  Multiple discs for FF13 (360) and I no problems for me.  Honestly I don't why people have a huge problem with this

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DeathByWaffle

Usually not. I'd prefer if it was one disc, but if the game does the disc switches well, it isn't a big issue

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sagesebas

It reminds me of when I was a kid seeing the 3 discs for Final Fantasy VII, and being completely amazed and mystified by this. When ever I see more then one it makes me a little giddy

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@CL60 said:
I would care if it interrupts the game, because I don't want to switch DVDs every hour just to play the game. However, if you could download the data on your console's HDD then it would be okay and Forza 3 was this way fyi.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CL60
@ISuperGamerI said:
" @CL60 said:
I would care if it interrupts the game, because I don't want to switch DVDs every hour just to play the game. However, if you could download the data on your console's HDD then it would be okay and Forza 3 was this way fyi. "
Every hour is a little bit of an exaggeration.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@CL60 said:
" @ISuperGamerI said:
" @CL60 said:
I would care if it interrupts the game, because I don't want to switch DVDs every hour just to play the game. However, if you could download the data on your console's HDD then it would be okay and Forza 3 was this way fyi. "
Every hour is a little bit of an exaggeration. "
It depends on the size and type of game I guess.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It bothers me now because I'd like to think we're at a point where disc swapping should be a memory.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It didn't used to, but recently it's started to sort of bother me.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By gamb1t

installing battlefield 2 is mad annoying. 5 fucken discs. but in final fantasy it was super cool cause you know your that much closer -_-

Cambody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By Cambody

Yeah it bugs me but I love the two multiple disk games I have for the xbox 360, I'm actually installing disk 3 on my hard drive for FF XIII right now.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Metroid545

GAME DISCS BOTHER ME ! Bring back cartridges!

I don't see why 2 discs would be a problem

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#50  Edited By Sin4profit

i get an anxiety attack when games have more then one disk...i remember a long time ago i rented a an original Playstation just so i could rent and play the original Metal Gear solid...when i had to transfer to the second CD it wouldn't load...restarted, tried playing through again, same problem...had to take the system back without even seeing the end of the game i rented the system for in the first place.