Does the data breach change the way you will use your PS3 now?

• 60 results
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

this is actualy something im very curious about from users that either own both a PS3 and a 360 or only a PS3. Given the data breach and all that, has your confidence in SONY been shaken enough where you will think twice about getting multiplatform games on PS3 if you own both consoles or will it change your purchasing habits if you only own a PS3? Im very curious how the user base here is feeling and if this really will cause people to think twice about their purchasing decisions from now on due to SONYs handling of the situation.

Also, how does their "Welcone Back" pakage sit with you? Is it a nice enough gesture to eliviate some of the headache if you had any?

For me personaly, before this happened I was considering getting most multiplatform on 360 from now on anyway because I was tired of slightly worse ports, so this breach didnt effect

my any decisions in that regard, because I kinda came to it before this happened. However, since I still will game on PS3 for exclusives and games that are better on it, I do have a vested interest in how all this turns out. As to wether this has shooken my confidence in SONY as a platform holder. Honestly, im a little 50/50 on it. It makes me wary that they maybe arent quite up to snuff when ti comes to having a online network, we also have to consider that this is the first real gen that SONY has had a compelling onlien network. Growing pains are too be expected. However, I still am a fan of the console and the company so ill continue to buy their products, but like I said itll be mostly for Exclusives and multiplatform thats better on it for reasons that have nothing to do with the data breach.    

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

No.

Shit happens.  People panic like idiots.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ravensword
@KaosAngel:

True. personaly, I went through kinda a 5 stages of grief thing with this. Except I mainly went from WTF? to anger to acceptance that it wasnt a huge deal, but apparently some people (even journalists) think its the end of SONY
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By captain_clayman

i will just stockpile up PSN gift cards instead of using credit card.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Punk1984
@KaosAngel said:
" No.Shit happens.  People panic like idiots. "
This is a man who has been in a fender-bender while late to work on a Monday. I applaud you.
MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#6  Edited By MightyDuck

I never use a CC when it comes to XBL or PSN, so not too much has changed for me.  I'll continue to use PSN Cards to make purchases online.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Nah. I use my PS3 as a Bluray player, so I'll kinda still be using it regardless. The security breach actually makes me feel more secure with PSN in the future, because you know people are gonna be breathing down their necks for a long time to come. 

Conversely, I'm kinds pissed that I can't seem to remove my card information from XBOX Live's database, though. 
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravensword
@PrivateIronTFU:

Not telling you what to do, but there are alot of rather good Exclusives on PS3. Even if you game multiplatform on 360, you should give the exclusvies a go.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By chrissedoff

SONY

Natedogg2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Natedogg2

Won't change anything for me. I never used my credit card with my PS3 (I always bought PSN cards), and I haven't been playing anything online anyways (I've been playing through some RPGs recently). The care package is nice (now my PS+ subscription won't run out until next June). It sucks that this happened, but hopefully everything will turn out ok in the end.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@Raven_Sword said:
" @PrivateIronTFU: Not telling you what to do, but there are alot of rather good Exclusives on PS3. Even if you game multiplatform on 360, you should give the exclusvies a go. "
No, no, no. I totally game on my PS3. I actually have a lot of games on it. In fact, PS3 exclusives, to me, kick the ever loving shit out of 360 exclusives. Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games ever. And I love LittleBigPlanet and Killzone. It's just that I'm a hardcore cinephile first, and a gamer second. So I primarily use it for Bluray movies.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ravensword

@PrivateIronTFU:

lol, cool. I was gonna say..

Anyway, yeah, I agree that their Exclusives are usualy alot better, but I just wished they handled the multiplatform better. Its too the point where most probaly wont notice, but I kinda do.
Come to think of it, thats very similar to how I did my gaming last gen. PS2 was the Exclsuvie beat and XBOX was the Multiplatform workhorse.

phonicpod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By phonicpod

My PS3 had a YLOD just before the outtage, so now apparently according to this psn thing cause my ps3 broke, i just lost my PSN account and everything i bought on it. :|

“As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated”

Because my ps3 is dead, i can't ever change my password, therefore never be able to login on PSN account again, even if i buy a new one or send it off for repair (as they  just send back refurbs)

I guess i won't be using a PS3 at all.. which really sucks.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ravensword

@phonicpod:

damn dude, that sucks.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Punk1984
@phonicpod: Call Sony support. They are also offering an email authenticated sign up for people like us who are no longer on their first PS3.
cheeseknight5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cheeseknight5
@PrivateIronTFU said:
"Conversely, I'm kinds pissed that I can't seem to remove my card information from XBOX Live's database, though. "
I understand that you can remove your card info, but you have to call customer service and have a real person do it. 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince
@KaosAngel said:
Pretty much this. It could happen to any company you trust you card information with. If it does end up getting stolen you just call and cancel your card.
phonicpod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By phonicpod
@Punk1984: Thanks for the heads up, i'll give this a go (when i pick up a new ps3.... )
Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sarkhan
@phonicpod said:
"

My PS3 had a YLOD just before the outtage, so now apparently according to this psn thing cause my ps3 broke, i just lost my PSN account and everything i bought on it. :|
 “As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated”

Because my ps3 is dead, i can't ever change my password, therefore never be able to login on PSN account again, even if i buy a new one or send it off for repair (as they  just send back refurbs)

I guess i won't be using a PS3 at all.. which really sucks.

"

As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

So you'r good :)
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Andorski

Not going to put my CC information on my account and will use PSN cards/Amazon to purchase stuff.  If anything, I hope a drop in the number of CC# they have in their database will show that while users are still willing to use PSN, that "consumer trust" is on thin ice.

Other than that, nothing will change.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By ESREVER

Nope! I'll be buying Might and Magic Clash of Heroes and Outland as soon as the PSN Store comes back online.

I will also still be hosting Fight Nights for both Continuum Shift and Arcana Heart 3 in the coming months.
No change here. Just looking forward to the return of PSN while taking care of other priorities I've been neglecting. 
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sameeeeam

Nope, I buy stuff from the Playstation Store so rarely that I usually just get points cards to make the purchases. 

Will be getting Arcana Heart 3 as soon as PSN is up and my PS3 fixed, though.

EDIT: Also, I really think there's reason to feel more secure with the PSN from this point forth. People aren't going to stop giving Sony hell until the PSN is at least as secure as XBL.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BraveToaster

I'll remove my CC information.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sarkhan

Nope. All the info will still be there. Just gonna change the pw as it's mandatory and get back into ssf4 :) 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

no, it happens sometimes. nothing changed about anything really.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@KaosAngel said:
Dis.
02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 02sfraser

I'm not going to treat the way I use PSN any differently. Things happen and you have to deal with them and not using the service isn't going to change that fact.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ajamafalous
@KaosAngel said:
This.

Your credit card information can just as easily be stolen when your waitress takes it to the back to charge it for your dinner.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Hizang

I'll stick with the Wii, that shit keeps things safe!
Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sayishere

We should think of this as a road to a better service, i mean because of this sony are beefing up their security, which will benefit the users in the long run. i honestly feel that after a couple of months people will have forgotten and continue doing what they had been previously

right now theres a bitter taste in the mouth, the welcome back package is a pretty generous offer to be honest. free PSN content, 30 day PSN plus and Qriocity and even paying for new CC'S

thats more than i expected, but then again, this still wont counter what they alllowed to happen in some peoples eyes.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I won't be storing any sensitive data on my PS3 any more, I'll use the prepaid cards if I need to buy anything.

(I already do this with the Xbox anyway, they're auto renewal systems are ridiculous).
ezdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ezdude

Not really but I'll consider using psn cards over credit cards. But then again, since they had this crazy breach, they'll probably have the craziest security infrastructure from now on, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Also if this helps them realize they shouldn't snob around security measures, then it means they're next system should be locked pretty well, so this doesn't happen again. Although the hacker always finds a way so there it goes. 

At least other companies probably will review their security infrastructures because of this.

Ah, whatever probably nothing will change, and that's the sad part from all this.
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FacelessVixen

Nope. I was planing to switch to using PSN cards from GameStop because I was never able to update my PSN with my newer debit card because of an error. Maybe Sony was trying to tell me that I'm too damn broke to buy more games, or the card just wasn't activated yet.

In any case, bullet dodged.

TommyUnderwear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TommyUnderwear

I honestly don't care at all about any of this.  My details get used, I cancel my card and have my money sent back to me.  Simples really.  I have actually been enjoying playing Halo: Reach the last couple of weeks so it's all gravy as far as I am concerned.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By animateria

Probably not....

Though I need to get a new PS3 now...

It just died a couple hours ago.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vexxan

It's not likely to happen again but I think a lot of people lost their trust for Sony.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MeierTheRed

No won't change a thing.

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By JJGIANT
@KaosAngel said:
Totally agree. If this all happens again whatever, IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!
dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dpedal1
@captain_clayman said:
" i will just stockpile up PSN gift cards instead of using credit card. "
This is what I will do too.
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#42  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'm not sure how I'll handle PSN once it comes back, I did buy my PS3 mostly for the PSN games that wouldn't come out on Steam, but I'm not sure I'll trust Sony with my CC# again, even though they hopefully have upgraded their security to ensure the same thing won't happen again. I'll probably try a service called "Internet Cards" my bank has, where they generate one time use Visa cards for internet purchases, which sounds ideal for non-recurring stuff. Before the outage I was just about to start a PS+ membership though, which would require a subscription, so I'm not sure I'll go through with that idea.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Vextroid

Nope. Gonna keep using it how im using it now.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By unchained

I'm going to keep using it. I'll even use my cc to make purchases still, even though I opted to get a replacement card as a result of the hack. The way I see it, they don't want to have a massive fuck up like this again, so they are going to be certain my cc and personal info is locked up tight. 

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kelbear
@Raven_Sword: Not really worried, though I haven't lost my credit card data in the attack, I just bought my PS3 yesterday. After being breached, they will have up-to-date security measures because they've now learned the value. Others who haven't been breached will still feel overconfident. 

I won't get any welcome back package though, no PSN login made yet. I can't even use netflix since you need at least a login setup, even if you can't sign on with it. 
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By grilledcheez

I'm taking my credit card info off, that's the difference.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By crusader8463

Nope. Seeing as how most of the games I  play on my PS3 seem to be older PS2 RPG's that I missed out on back in the day, it has not affected me. The 10 or so PS3 games I have are all single player games anyway, so, again, it has not affected me.

All the people refusing to use their credit cards on it just seem silly to me. Nothing is going to happen, and even if it did you would just call up Visa and after a 5-10 minute conversation the charges would be reversed and you would have a new card on the way. Seems really silly to go through all the trouble of buying PSN cards.
lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lockwoodx

The data breach changed the way I view Sony. I'm finished with their products.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Andorski
@crusader8463 said:
" Nope. Seeing as how most of the games I  play on my PS3 seem to be older PS2 RPG's that I missed out on back in the day, it has not affected me. The 10 or so PS3 games I have are all single player games anyway, so, again, it has not affected me.

All the people refusing to use their credit cards on it just seem silly to me. Nothing is going to happen, and even if it did you would just call up Visa and after a 5-10 minute conversation the charges would be reversed and you would have a new card on the way. Seems really silly to go through all the trouble of buying PSN cards.
"
You ever deal with Bank of America?  I feel like a used woman every time I do business with them.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Some people are overly dramatic.