• 80 results
#1 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

So we love our GiantBomb leaders, but what other journalists do you enjoy? IE: Their writing, video reviews, commentaries, random pieces of BS

----------

• I've always been a fan of Geoff Keighley. Sure, he's about as big corporation/mainstream as you can get, so we don't get to see him really shoot the shit, but I've always been impressed by some of the pressing questions that he'll ask developers. He seems pretty willing to speak gamer's opinions despite his position.
  • The guys from the Idle Thumbs podcast, specifically Chris Ramos. His music is amazing.
  • Kevin Van Ord... cause you know, he's fierce.
#2 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

Justin McElroy is pretty hilarious. Every time I listen to him he manages to get me laughing somehow.

#3 Edited by believer258 (11049 posts) -

Uh... does Yatzhee Croshaw (Zero Punctuation) count?

And at this point a lot of his stuff falls pretty flat so... not really.

#4 Posted by KoolAid (738 posts) -

I think Max Scoville from Destructoid is the best!

He is tall and funny!

#5 Posted by SpanxMcFranks (87 posts) -

I have always been a fan of Phillip Kollars work. I also like to read and listen Arthur Gies' stuff too.

#6 Posted by left4doof (286 posts) -

Arthur Gies is probably my favorite . 

#7 Posted by jewunit (1051 posts) -

I really like Jeremy Parish. He is exceptionally analytical and knowledgeable about games. He still writes a bit on 1UP, where he is editor-in-chief, and his personal site, Gamespite.

#8 Posted by 71Ranchero (2580 posts) -

Mark from CGR.

#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14321 posts) -

@SpanxMcFranks said:

I have always been a fan of Phillip Kollars work. I also like to read and listen Arthur Gies' stuff too.

Stop using my avatar!

As for the Op's question, I'm a fan of Jeff Green above everyone. Followed behind by Adam Sessler.

#10 Posted by Sin4profit (2870 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

Justin McElroy is pretty hilarious. Every time I listen to him he manages to get me laughing somehow.

i see your Justin and raise you a Griffen.

No McElroy, no McDeal!!!

#11 Posted by Joey_Connell (56 posts) -

Matt Cundy from gamesradar uk is mad.Everything he says is a joke and his articles always go off topic in a weird way. He reminds me of an english vinny. For an example tryhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCIFfOpj7A&feature=relmfuor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbAh5CRQFyQ&feature=relmfu

#12 Posted by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

Anything Frank Cifaldi does. Ever. Heart that man so hard.

#13 Posted by Daiphyer (1274 posts) -

Justin and Griffin McElroy.

Chris Watters, Kevin VanOrd, Giancarlo Varanini, Sean McInnis, Jane Douglas, John Davison.

Ryan Stevens, Mark MacDonald.

Craig Skitstmistsksatsksksesesks (Stuttering Craig)

I love everybody!

#14 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (496 posts) -

Since G4tv.com I've had crazy love/respect for Geoff Keighley.

#15 Posted by Fishstick (156 posts) -

The brothers McElroy are my favorite non-GB peeps.

#16 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

He doesn't really cover games any more, but he does dabble once in a while still...love me some Charlie Brooker.

#17 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6938 posts) -

The McElroy Brothers may not be experts but they are my favorite non-GB game journalists.

#18 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Is Adam Sessler considered a video game journalist?

#19 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

@BraveToaster: Yup. Sessmoney is the real deal.

#20 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

Tim Rogers, the McElroys, Sessler

#21 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

Robert Florence, he doesn't really cover games professionally any more, but he does a board games feature on Rock Paper Shotgun, and his twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/robertflorence) account can be awesome (alot of E3 coverage at the minute) he used to do an internet videogame series called http://www.consolevania.com/ and also one for BBC Scotland called Video Gaiden,

i still like a lot of the current GS crew too, Kevin VanOrd, Tom McShae and Danny O'Dwyer are all cool, even if iv probably spelled their names wrong,

and whilst i find him EXTREMELY self righteous i really like hearing Arthur Gies talk about game, as well as all the others on Rebel FM,

#22 Posted by A_Dog (742 posts) -

John Walker.

#23 Posted by Harkat (1090 posts) -

Michael Gapper from Xbox World. Print magazine.

#24 Posted by bigskeng (14 posts) -

i guess this is mostly about gaming podcasts.

the McElroys. (even when they arent doing gaming related content. their "my brother, my brother, and me" podcast with their bro Travis is consistently hilarious.)

i like the gamers with jobs podcast guys for the most part, even though they tend to overly praise new titles before catching on to the criticisms everyone else already noticed a week or so after the glow wears off. still, they seem a bit older and more aware of gaming history and tropes than a good many other podcasters.

i like destructoid, and usually find myself agreeing with jim sterling's critiques despite (or because of) the blind rage he causes fanboys of all stripes.

i enjoyed the talkradar podcast til it mysteriously went on hiatus.

#25 Posted by Ley_Lines (247 posts) -

Krutotenechki from gamebomb.ru

#26 Posted by Omega (819 posts) -

Scott Sharkey

#27 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

Garnett Lee. I listen to Weekend Confirmed every week and often drop into Shacknews to see if he's written anything. I like how he often plays Devil's Advocate during shows even if that sometimes pisses off listeners.

#28 Posted by ervonymous (1226 posts) -

Miika Huttunen

#29 Posted by CptMorganCA (200 posts) -

Arthur Geis, Anthony Gallegos, Greg Miller, and Colin Moriarty are all cool dudes. Never been a huge Gamespot guy, so I don't know of too many over there.

#30 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@RockinKemosabe said:

@BraveToaster: Yup. Sessmoney is the real deal.

Awesome, because he's the only person outside of Giant Bomb that I know of in the industry

#31 Posted by Largo6661 (326 posts) -

Daniel Dawkins from PSM3 mag (uk) that dude is great

#32 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

naomi kyle.

#33 Posted by aquamarin (553 posts) -

Anthony Gallegos, Ryan Scott of former GFW Radio fame

Garnett Lee at Shacknews/Weekend Confirmed

Jeremy Parish of 1up

#34 Posted by evanbower (1206 posts) -

Anthony Gallegos, Jeremy Parish, Tom Bissell (and his book extra lives). But most of all, Charles Onyett. Imagine this scenario: Giant Bomb is hiring one more editor for the site. Who would you pick? I think Charles would be a great fit.

I can't work up the stomach to visit IGN much anymore, but I really fondly remember their former Xbox team- Hilary Goldstein, Ryan Geddes, Erik Brudvig, and David Clayman, all of whom no longer work on the press side of the industry.

#35 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

@left4doof said:

I thought I was the only one out there that liked Gies. He pisses off the internet so he must be doing something right.

#36 Posted by AnjinM (106 posts) -

Arthur Gies is definitely a good one. Have to cast a ballot for Tom Chick, though. You never know what you're going to get from him.

#37 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

McElroy and even though I think the 8-4 guys are terribly wrong a lot of the time and not even journalist for some unknown reason I really respect their opinions.

#38 Posted by Coafi (1433 posts) -

@KoolAid said:

I think Max Scoville from Destructoid is the best!

He is tall and funny!

Really?! I always thought Max tries too hard to be funny and comes off a bit douchey, Tara Long is way better, she just a bit shy sometimes.

From Destructoid I like Jim Sterling when he stops being immature, he has some great opinion and ideas on the game industry, check him out on gamefront.com he writes the more serious pieces there.

I also like Kirk Hamilton, The Sess, and some of the peeps of Polygon.com

#39 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4874 posts) -

All the former Area 5/1UP show guys.

And Mike Thomsen.

#40 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

I occasionally enjoy Yahtzee's shtick every now and then.

I really don't know their names, but I enjoy the articles of Destructoid and Rock Paper Shotgun.

#41 Posted by CptBedlam (4440 posts) -

Yep, I admit it ... I like Geoff Keighley, too.

Also, Sessler!

#42 Posted by CptBedlam (4440 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

Garnett Lee. I listen to Weekend Confirmed every week and often drop into Shacknews to see if he's written anything. I like how he often plays Devil's Advocate during shows even if that sometimes pisses off listeners.

I'm just glad that Garnett is there to keep Cannata's hypetalk in check. That guy loves things way too much.

#43 Posted by EPGPX (285 posts) -

@jewunit said:

I really like Jeremy Parish. He is exceptionally analytical and knowledgeable about games. He still writes a bit on 1UP, where he is editor-in-chief, and his personal site, Gamespite.

1up? That site still exists? I thought they went down under and filed for chapter 11 and were deceased years ago. hahaha..

#44 Posted by WMWA (1159 posts) -
@Dad_Is_A_Zombie

@left4doof said:

I thought I was the only one out there that liked Gies. He pisses off the internet so he must be doing something right.

I love Gies' professional work, probably my favorite critical reviewer. But as a person? I can not think of a more polar opposite of someone I'd envision myself being friends with. Too smug, too pretentious, too asshole.
#45 Posted by WMWA (1159 posts) -

I've got a lot: Shane Bettenhausen, Dan Shoe Hsu, Phil Kollar, McElroys, Anthony Gallegos, Christian Nutt, Garnett Lee, Ryan Scott, Robert Ashley, Sessler and Kevin Van Ord

#46 Posted by WMoyer83 (585 posts) -

Dan Hsu

#47 Posted by C0V3RT (1188 posts) -

I was a big fan of the GameRadar/TalkRadar guys before they all kind of went and did their own thing. Specifically Brett Elston and Chris Antista were my favorites. Two totally different styles but I really respected what they brought to the table.

#48 Edited by Pr1mus (3520 posts) -

Kevin VanOrd, Adam Sessler, Ben Kuchera, Tom Chick. In no particular order. I guess Marcus Beer too when i used to go on GT for Invisible Wall.

I used to like Arthur Gies on Rebel FM but never really cared for his reviews. Then in his Diablo 3 review he said that Blizzard had earned the right to not be criticized because of their good track record and went on to argue about that subject further on twitter with the Klepek. If you call yourself a reviewer and will go to bat for a developer, saying that people shouldn't even raise any issues because of their past success you are doing it wrong. He also grows more pretentious by the minute and it is now long past the point of simply standing your ground with your opinions and is now just basically a full time asshole.

#49 Posted by kidman (458 posts) -

Jim Sterling (yes, really) for his trolling and some weird ideas (when he's not being a hippy).

#50 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -