Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

So good you'll walk on water! 
The guys at Chair Entertainment got tired of waiting for someone to make a modern Metroid-style 2D action game with high-def 3D graphics and next-gen trappings--so they went and made it themselves with the Unreal Engine on the Xbox 360. The game is Shadow Complex--and considering Team Ninja appears to be at work turning the next Metroid game into some sort of SamusGaiden, I think Chair may have actually out-Metroided Metroid with this game.

You know the formula: explore a giant subterranean enemy base that looks like it's been plotted out on graph paper, run into obstacles it seems like there's no way you can get around, then discover new weapons and equipment that will give you the right abilities to surmount (or blast straight through) those roadblocks.

Even if Shadow Complex is following a prescribed formula that's been around since the NES days, we haven't seen this sort of game yet on modern, powerful hardware. The closest we've gotten is Castlevania's finest moment, Symphony of the Night on the PlayStation, and it's not a surprise to me that's one of the most beloved games, well, ever. DS games notwithstanding, why isn't anyone else doing this? And formula or not, Chair is putting a lot of unique touches into Shadow Complex; here's a few I've noticed since we've gotten the chance to start messing around with the game. 

You're An Everyman

You're no intergalactic bounty hunter or expert super-spy in Shadow Complex. You're Jason, an athletic but unassuming dude hiking with his girlfriend in the forest. After discovering the underground lair of a nefarious terrorist organization and seeing your girlfriend kidnapped by the bad guys, you start to explore, find weapons and gear, and become a badass. By the end of the game you might end up looking like some kind of cyborg ninja as you gain weapons, armor, and equipment, but at the beginning you're just a guy with a trendy half-tucked shirt.

The Complex Is Huge

Chair head honcho Donald Mustard professes his love for Super Metroid at every opportunity, but that hasn't stopped him from trying his best to one-up his favorite game. Remember the big grid-like map Metroid uses to reveal the intricately plotted network of rooms and tunnels that make up its game world? Mustard says that Super Metroid's map was made up of roughly 250 to 300 squares. Shadow Complex's map, by contrast, is 780 squares. You can do the math on that one.

A partially completed map screen from the E3 demo.

Endless Achievements

Games have been keeping track of your progress on individual achievements since games like The Orange Box made it cool to tell you precisely how many more antlion larvae you needed to squish before you got the all-important points. Shadow Complex will do that, too, popping up a little counter every time you get a headshot to indicate how many more headshots you need before the achievement pops.

But it takes this concept to the proverbial next level by continuing to track those achievement stats after you've already gotten the points, and comparing you to other players on your friends list. Say you need 100 headshots for the achievement. Once you hit that mark, you'll see your friend has, say, 138 headshots, giving you a new goal to beat. All the game's achievements will have a unique leaderboard that shows these stats for everyone playing the game.

Keep Playing On The Proving Grounds

I suppose a mission-based challenge mode is de rigueur in downloadable 2D action games thanks to Bionic Commando Rearmed and its ilk. Shadow Complex is right there with its own such mode called the Proving Grounds, which Mustard described as a series of ultra-tough puzzles and objectives the team came up with that were too hard to include in the core campaign but too cool not to include somewhere. You're working against a timer in each of the Proving Grounds levels, and the most interesting aspect to me is that you don't always start each one with all the necessary equipment to finish it. So in some cases you'll have to hunt out the required gear before you can actually approach the objectives. 

And of course, the Proving Grounds have a surreal, virtual reality-style look to them, like any challenge mode should.

Multipurpose Gear

As a Metroid-style game, there's a ton of upgrade equipment to collect over the course of the game. Jump jets for double and even triple jumps, a hardened foam gun, a hookshot, the works. And a lot of this gear can be used in more than one way. You can use the foam gun to create stairs up to a higher platform, but you can also detonate the hardened foam to use it as a weapon against enemies. The hookshot is primarily used as a grappling hook that lets you swing across chasms, but you can also do things like fire it into an enemy's riot shield and jerk that shield out of his hands, giving you a clean shot at him.

Shadow Complex is out in August, and though we have a full build of the game in the office now, I'm reluctant to play too far into it in favor of waiting for the totally completed, final, polished version. Because, now that I think about it, I've been waiting for a game like this for a long, long time.  

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

The guys at Chair Entertainment got tired of waiting for someone to make a modern Metroid-style 2D action game with high-def 3D graphics and next-gen trappings--so they went and made it themselves with the Unreal Engine on the Xbox 360. The game is Shadow Complex--and considering Team Ninja appears to be at work turning the next Metroid game into some sort of SamusGaiden, I think Chair may have actually out-Metroided Metroid with this game.

You know the formula: explore a giant subterranean enemy base that looks like it's been plotted out on graph paper, run into obstacles it seems like there's no way you can get around, then discover new weapons and equipment that will give you the right abilities to surmount (or blast straight through) those roadblocks.

Even if Shadow Complex is following a prescribed formula that's been around since the NES days, we haven't seen this sort of game yet on modern, powerful hardware. The closest we've gotten is Castlevania's finest moment, Symphony of the Night on the PlayStation, and it's not a surprise to me that's one of the most beloved games, well, ever. DS games notwithstanding, why isn't anyone else doing this? And formula or not, Chair is putting a lot of unique touches into Shadow Complex; here's a few I've noticed since we've gotten the chance to start messing around with the game. 

You're An Everyman

You're no intergalactic bounty hunter or expert super-spy in Shadow Complex. You're Jason, an athletic but unassuming dude hiking with his girlfriend in the forest. After discovering the underground lair of a nefarious terrorist organization and seeing your girlfriend kidnapped by the bad guys, you start to explore, find weapons and gear, and become a badass. By the end of the game you might end up looking like some kind of cyborg ninja as you gain weapons, armor, and equipment, but at the beginning you're just a guy with a trendy half-tucked shirt.

The Complex Is Huge

Chair head honcho Donald Mustard professes his love for Super Metroid at every opportunity, but that hasn't stopped him from trying his best to one-up his favorite game. Remember the big grid-like map Metroid uses to reveal the intricately plotted network of rooms and tunnels that make up its game world? Mustard says that Super Metroid's map was made up of roughly 250 to 300 squares. Shadow Complex's map, by contrast, is 780 squares. You can do the math on that one.

Endless Achievements

Games have been keeping track of your progress on individual achievements since games like The Orange Box made it cool to tell you precisely how many more antlion larvae you needed to squish before you got the all-important points. Shadow Complex will do that, too, popping up a little counter every time you get a headshot to indicate how many more headshots you need before the achievement pops.

But it takes this concept to the proverbial next level by continuing to track those achievement stats after you've already gotten the points, and comparing you to other players on your friends list. Say you need 100 headshots for the achievement. Once you hit that mark, you'll see your friend has, say, 138 headshots, giving you a new goal to beat. All the game's achievements will have a unique leaderboard that shows these stats for everyone playing the game.

Keep Playing On The Proving Grounds

I suppose a mission-based challenge mode is de rigueur in downloadable 2D action games thanks to Bionic Commando Rearmed and its ilk. Shadow Complex is right there with its own such mode called the Proving Grounds, which Mustard described as a series of ultra-tough puzzles and objectives the team came up with that were too hard to include in the core campaign but too cool not to include somewhere. You're working against a timer in each of the Proving Grounds levels, and the most interesting aspect to me is that you don't always start each one with all the necessary equipment to finish it. So in some cases you'll have to hunt out the required gear before you can actually approach the objectives. 

And of course, the Proving Grounds have a surreal, virtual reality-style look to them, like any challenge mode should.

Multipurpose Gear

As a Metroid-style game, there's a ton of upgrade equipment to collect over the course of the game. Jump jets for double and even triple jumps, a hardened foam gun, a hookshot, the works. And a lot of this gear can be used in more than one way. You can use the foam gun to create stairs up to a higher platform, but you can also detonate the hardened foam to use it as a weapon against enemies. The hookshot is primarily used as a grappling hook that lets you swing across chasms, but you can also do things like fire it into an enemy's riot shield and jerk that shield out of his hands, giving you a clean shot at him.

Shadow Complex is out in August, and though we have a full build of the game in the office now, I'm reluctant to play too far into it in favor of waiting for the totally completed, final, polished version. Because, now that I think about it, I've been waiting for a game like this for a long, long time.  

church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By church069

I'm really looking forward to this game.  Hopefully it does not disappoint.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

hmm I always found it weird to have realistic-looking people in a sidescroller, obviously this game looks good enough to overlook that

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Aarny91

Sounds really fun :D

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TheGremp

Looks awesome.  Loved Super Metroid, and Epic has never failed me.  Should be fun.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Pie

You guy's already have a full build  of the game? Wow

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By TheMasterDS

Sounds great.

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By babylonian

I picked this as the #1 SoA game for my Bytejacker article, and the more I see, the more that feels like an understatement. There is not a single thing happening in this game that looks underwhelming or "old", and that has me super excited. How bizarre that this downloadable game seems vastly more modern than almost every game that's come to retail this year!

VampireWhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VampireWhale

This is one of my most anticipated games this year.

morningdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By morningdrive

not in a bad way or anything but shadow complex reminds me alot of shadow moses. is it just me?

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By insanejedi
@TheGremp said:
" Looks awesome.  Loved Super Metroid, and Epic has never failed me.  Should be fun. "
*cough cough* UT2k3, UT3, Unreal 2 *cough cough*
TheClap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheClap

"make 'em scream" awesome

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By ThomasP

Yeah, Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night are my favorite games of all time so I guess you could say  I'm stoked for this. No PS3 release? If not that is horseshit.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking
@morningdrive said:
" not in a bad way or anything but shadow complex reminds me alot of shadow moses. is it just me? "
Yeah, I was looking at that last screenshot and thinking "Metal Gear".
Galv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Galv

The only xbla game coming out that I am excited for. Can't wait!

Avatar image for burnin_squirrrl
burnin_squirrrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By burnin_squirrrl

I want to be really excited for this game but playing through Portrait of Ruin on my DS right now is might be giving me the fatigue...aw hell, i'll probably end up downloading this, who am i kidding?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain

Oh shit, I had no idea this was like Castlevania/Metroid. Fuck, now I gotta buy this too, but im so broke at the moment lol. Damn.

Also, I like the whole, regular dude thing god knows games have enough guys with arms the size of trucks at the moment.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Brad
@ThomasP said:
" Yeah, Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night are my favorite games of all time so I guess you could say  I'm stoked for this. No PS3 release? If not that is horseshit. "

Microsoft is publishing the game, so yeah, not going to happen on PS3.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGremp
@insanejedi said:
" @TheGremp said:
" Looks awesome.  Loved Super Metroid, and Epic has never failed me.  Should be fun. "
*cough cough* UT2k3, UT3, Unreal 2 *cough cough* "
Never played 2k3 or 2, but I actually liked UT3.
SilverArrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SilverArrows

This looks great ..... Is there any MP in this, cause that would be cool.

NPBADGER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NPBADGER

This game looks sweet.....great stock of games available for download on Live now what with this coming soon, Battlefield, Monkey Island etc.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Luke

Really looking forward to this game!  Already got my Points ready and waiting :) 

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gargantuan
@insanejedi said:
" @TheGremp said:
*cough cough* UT2k3, UT3, Unreal 2 *cough cough* "
I actually enjoyed UT3 and Unreal 2 very much. ;)
I'll probably buy Shadow Complex if it costs 1200 space bucks or less. Does anyone know how much they'll charge for it?
Hammerjelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hammerjelly

Summer of Arcade!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scooper

YES!

Twazzock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Twazzock

Look incredible. And I already have 340 MS points so it's only gonna cost me £8.50 as far as I'm concerned. :D

Only ever Castlevania: DoS in terms of this genre, loved it though.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I really can't wait for this. It's going to be awesome.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fishinwithguns

I'm even more excited for this now.  I've never been excited for an XBLA game.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brad
@Gargantuan: It is in fact 1200 points ($15).
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gargantuan
@Brad said:
" @Gargantuan: It is in fact 1200 points ($15). "
Awesome! Thanks.
Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Jackel2072

Yes so far Summer of arcade has been fantastic! Between this and Battlefield im set

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ThomasP
@Brad said:
" @ThomasP said:
" Yeah, Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night are my favorite games of all time so I guess you could say  I'm stoked for this. No PS3 release? If not that is horseshit. "
 Microsoft is publishing the game, so yeah, not going to happen on PS3. "
I never thought you would break my heart. I consider it an honor, though. = )
Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Residentrevil2

Batman and this game are must buys in August.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By JJOR64

This game looks awesome.  I will probably get it when it comes out.

Leadcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Leadcat

I loves me some Metroidvania.

Bartman3010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bartman3010

I gotta admit, I really wish this was Jazz Jackrabbit coming to XBLA. I'm sure the game looks nice, it will be a great game. It certainly looks more like a Metroid game than Other M, as this article has made clear.

Still, Epic should try putting Jazz Jackrabbit 2 on XBLA. Complete with the level editor.

Avatar image for wandering_hands
Wandering_Hands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Wandering_Hands

This shows a great level of quality for Arcade games.  Looks way good!

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mrsmiley

wow, that looks pretty awesome. i agree with the Jazz Jackrabbit fans. Bring him back!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Seppli

Since I first saw it at E3 '09, I knew I will download this at day 1. Looks like this seasons Bionic Commando : Rearmed - but even better!

st0ph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By st0ph

I've also been waiting for a game like this for a very long time.  Imagine a real Metroid game with 2D HD Graphics as good as, say, Trine.  /love

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By dethfish

I hope this game will be as awesome as it looks.

Maybe Epic should be in charge of the next Metroid game. Yeah, that'll happen.

H1VOLTAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By H1VOLTAGE
@ThomasP said:
Since Epic games is strictly Microsoft, you can bet that this game will never touch the PS3... sad that developers dont understand how much more cash they would get if they just made their games more easily available. But what do I know, I'm just a gamer that buys their games. (thank god i have an xbox)
SlimDogg95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SlimDogg95

Looking forward to this game .

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By killdave

Oh wow this is really happening !!

I can't wait to get this game played

queenulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By queenulhu

1. cyborg + ninja are probably two of the best words to combine, ever.  win!

SOTN is one of my ultimate favorite games in the last 24 years... i can't even tell you how long i played it on a somewhat insane crusade to collect every item starting with weapons @_@ & i don't think i ever finished ;_;
brad i am sooooooooooooooo jealous of you!!! SC is one of the top unreleased games i want to play!!  i'm such a sucker for 3d 2d-platformers.... i think they are my favorite type of game!!  i must make them........

Deathdealer108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Deathdealer108

XBLA is getting great ATM. I just bought the sam and max episodes and Monkey Island, This game is looking great  too. Thank god I upgraded to the 120 gb hard drive because these games are getting quite big in size.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bybeach

Looks damned good!

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MaddProdigy

DAMN this game looks good! Thats ridiculous that this looks cooler/more modern/more fun/more interesting than many 3D games that have come out this year. Lots of action and stuff, although the cover thing looks kinda cheesy that a block will protect you from giant robots, but i was SOLD at the part where he's hangin from the box firing down. And for some reason, 2d games where enemies fall off the screen are awesome. Can't wait for it, thanks for lettin me know about this giantbomb

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Wow looks really great, but also daunting... a lot going on at once!

chirotera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By chirotera

This is one of those games that sounds good, but in motion I'm not so sure. I might have to play it to accurately gauge it... I do have some hopes though. I also feel obligated to put some cash to this in the hopes that other developers will realize that 2D games aren't dead, nor should they be.