FYI: Patrick is now a Senior Reporter at Kotaku

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Ugh. Hiring a straight, white male. REAL bold, Kotaku!

Jokes aside, I wish Kleptok the best of luck in his future. I really don't go to Kotaku (Gawker stuff has bugged me for the last few years), and I doubt I'll start now, but they hired themselves a damn fine writer, and I hope they put him to good use!

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By Seikenfreak

@49th: I can't imagine he is working in an office. I think the Kotaku (gawker?) offices are in NYC. I just think it was hard for him to do video stuff from home and now he can pretty much just focus on writing which can be done from where ever. Churning out piles of articles per day Im guessing.

I'd be happy if we got Tina in exchange.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The link is broken. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be revealed yet?

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He will certainly be the best writer there! I'm surprised that some people seem to think that Kotaku has gotten better. So many of their post-release articles seem to be fluff stuff like "Sex scenes of Dragon Age, Strange sex scenes in the Sims...etc.

This is because preview stuff is done by everybody and is little more than a glorified press release. They are said to be getting better because they are also moving past pre-release rumor mongering and hype rollercoasters.

fixerofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really like Patrick and the content that he was putting out on this site. That said, this is gross. I despise Kotaku. Won't be following Scoops on Kotaku. Sad day.

Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Huh, well I did not see that coming. Hopefully he can change their prevalence of referring to a company as a plural noun. There's no need for that UK predilection sneaking into my US-based articles. Drives me batshit nuts.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By KaneRobot

Glad he's doing what he wants, although I can't say I'll ever go to that site.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I said this in another thread, but I'm glad to hear Patrick is going to a site that will make him happy. I just wish it wasn't Kotaku since it is the polar opposite of what I want in a videogame website. Patrick going there could change that site for the better though, as long as they let him keep doing what he's doing. I know a lot of people don't like Polygon and I can understand their criticisms of the site, but I still think he would have been a better fit at a site like that. Oh well, I wish him the best of luck, I know I'll at least follow his twitter.

Avatar image for doyouevenpraise
DoYouEvenPraise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't say I saw eye to eye with Patrick on most topics, but hopefully he can bring a meaningful presence to the site and do more than post click-bait articles like the majority of their "journalists" do.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By Silver-Streak

I respect the people that work for Kotaku, as I think they've all been trying to turn around its image and output. That said, I still don't regularly view the site/blog's content, as I feel some of it isn't quite there yet. (A review system with yes/no instead of scoring has definitely been a good step in the right direction, though.)

I always like Patrick's output, both in video written form, so I'm excited to see what he does.

Congrats to you, @patrickklepek

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Huh, totally makes sense. I'll probably just follow him on Twitter, doubt I'll become a regular over on Kotaku.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Patrick always spoke highly of Stephen Totilo back when both worked at MTV. Makes sense he'd be comfortable working for him again. I haven't visited Kotaku regularly in a few years mainly due to the bad rap that site seemed to get from people on these forums and neogaf but I seriously wouldn't mind checking it out again just to see what type of content Patrick will provide for the site. Anyways great hire for them.

majid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*sigh*

At least it's not Polygon. Best of luck duder.

My exact feelings. Man, as a Chelsea fan this feels exactly like seeing Lampard scoring crucial goals for Man City. Major bummer.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I KNEW IT!! He used to work for Totilo and it was pretty obvious. Good thing i already read the kotaku RSS feed and hopefully Fahey makes him play more JRPGs (Patrick should play Disgaea)

returnofjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The link is broken. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be revealed yet?

The link changed for some reason. I've updated it on the top post, thanks!

spacebutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

If he's more interested in doing long articles about the industry itself, it makes sense. I wish Kotaku's web design was a little less confusing though.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I guess I'll have to start visiting Kotaku again. This is very unexpected to me.

If Patrick is stuck posting mass news about funny Youtube videos, I will be most sad.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

UHM. SURE. OK? It makes some sense I suppose, but. Why?

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see some Irony here, in light of Patricks lamentations on the content and functionality of things like Buzzfeed (wherein the good and solid investigation is buried under listicles and click-bait).

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxfool: For sure, I understand that. I just think that their new style of coverage isn't any better. I can appreciate them trying to do that kind of stuff, but so far it all seems really disposable. However, if anyone can produce some interesting in-depth coverage it's Patrick. I'll certainly check out his stuff. I've really been enjoying reading USgamer. They do a great job of producing interesting features and longer form writing.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Guffaw.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#73  Edited By sammo21

Working for Gawker huh? I guess, in terms of how I view them, that's not too far from Polygon...though I view Everything from Gawker very poorly. Gotta say Kotaku fell even lower for me after Totillo's interview with TotalBiscuit.

Whatever. I won't be visiting Kotaku but grats Patrick. Maybe you'll somehow class the place up and I'll bother to check it out.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Hmm. Not sure how to feel about this. Kotaku has a bunch of really talented writers, but the site as a whole isn't really my favorite. I unsubscribed from their RSS feed since it felt like a few really good articles that were getting drowned out by gossip and stuff about Japanese candy. Are they still doing the Kotaku East crap or is it safe to re-subscribe now?

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

Good luck to him, but it does seem like kind of a step down though I don't really know much of Kotaku to have any real opinion of it.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From WWE to TNA.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Evilsbane

Seems like a big hire for Kotaku, hopefully Patrick can elevate their...dim reputation.

spiderspud007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By spiderspud007

With gamespot firing most of their "writers"this is not surprising. The articles he wrote on gb were great but the company as a whole seems to want to go to video content over written. With no one else in chicago this kinda put patrick as the odd man out. I can not wait to see who they add to gbeast. Jeff has said patricks replacement will be out east. I don't mind Kotaku but i wont go just to read his stuff.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Good luck to him. I'm still not ever going to click through to their site but I hope he enjoys his time there.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoathanasius: Yeah, I agree. And there still so much fluff that the good stuff kinda drowns within it although sometimes the fluff is somewhat diverting. Also the site still remains tainted by association.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Wait, wait, wait. I thought Kotaku was pretty much the opposite of everything Patrick stood for? Has Kotaku changed lately?

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kotaku is a decent site. Though there is a fair share of cross site promotional articles. So among Kotaku articles there are articles belonging to Gawker, IO9 and so on.

Bit surprised that Patrick decided to leave Giant Bomb for Kotaku though. Hoping at this point that Giant Bomb would hire a female gaming journalist. Just to bring a different perspective to the pretty male oriented Giant Bomb staff. For example Gamespot recently hired a female editor to its staff and she has been pretty great. Also there is Mary Kish who is also pretty great.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I always felt Patrick's views on games were pretty different from the rest of the crew. Maybe he felt stifled at gb. Don't know much about kotaku what's the consensus

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxfool: I didn't even think about the tainted by association thing! I think you are onto something there!

Avatar image for doyouevenpraise
DoYouEvenPraise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxfool said:

@neoathanasius: Yeah, I agree. And there still so much fluff that the good stuff kinda drowns within it although sometimes the fluff is somewhat diverting. Also the site still remains tainted by association.

What good stuff?

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck over at kotaku patrick, wish ya the best man

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, wait, wait. I thought Kotaku was pretty much the opposite of everything Patrick stood for? Has Kotaku changed lately?

Principles are nice and all but sometimes you need a steady paycheck. Like David Cross made a living mocking sellouts, then he ended up doing 2 Smurfs movies. Yeah he's a joke now, but he's a rick joke. People change.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope he can pull them from the gutter but cant help but feel he will leave there within 2 years with middle fingers up.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By rangers517

Makes sense. Kotaku is just the worst, though. I feel dumber every time I stumble onto one of their articles.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That is disappointing.

Adrian79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I respect Patrick, even his presence there will not sway me to that awful site.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Count me on the "at least it's not Polygon" train, but I can't say I'm super thrilled for our very own scoops to be working for Kotaku.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That's cool, seems like a better fit for all concerned.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best of luck to Patrick, but I am no fan of kotaku and gawker sites and in a way I'm a little disappointed.

HotPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a good fit. Kotaku is one of the few outlets out there doing serious investigative games journalism

seems more like buzzfeed to me.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Will Patrick's tweets remain in the twitter addon on the home page? As an honorary Giant Bomb duder, or something? I don't know if I have the time to religiously follow another website, and I'm not big on getting my own twitter account. Ah well. Best of luck to him on his new venture.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: Agreed. Personally think Patrick's skills could be better spent elsewhere. However, I should have more faith. Maybe Patrick can help change how things are done there; people HAVE said Kotaku has gotten better lately.