• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4954 posts) 8 months, 19 days ago

Poll: Game of the Generation Preliminaries: Fallout 3 vs. New Vegas (466 votes)

Fallout 3 60%
Fallout: New Vegas 40%

Main thread here.

Let's keep these preliminaries rolling. This time we've got Fallout 3, Bethesda's revitalisation of the Fallout franchise, against New Vegas, Obsidian's Nevada-based follow-up. Having not really played either game I'm interested to see how this goes. I can see it coming down to how few technical hitches you experienced in your playthrough of either game or maybe how hilarious those glitches were. I'll keep this poll open until midnight GMT/4pm PST so get your votes in before then.

#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

Fallout 3, because I've played that one.

#2 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5235 posts) -

Fallout 3, because I've played that one.

Exactly what I was going to say.

#3 Edited by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -
#4 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

Fallout 3 because it wasn't as broken as New Vegas.

#5 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Fallout 3, I enjoyed the storyline better and it ran much smoother than New Vegas

#6 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (336 posts) -

You people can all take a suck. New Vegas 4 Lyfe.

#7 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

I quite enjoyed New Vegas. If we're talking vanilla versions NV just had more systems that I quite enjoyed, e.g. the survival system.

#8 Posted by hermes (1376 posts) -

Fallout 3.

Granted, I am just starting with NV, but I hate how on rails it feels.

#9 Posted by BaconHound (65 posts) -

New Vegas is the easy choice here.

#10 Posted by Itwongo (1126 posts) -

New Vegas.

#11 Posted by McLargepants (361 posts) -

As it's been for each of these, I like New Vegas more like pretty much everybody, but it wasn't a generation defining moment when it came out. Fallout 3 was HUGE. I can't not go with it.

#12 Edited by CaLe (3911 posts) -

3 because the ending of New Vegas sucked the big one, and I never finished 3, so I will just imagine it had a better ending. But now I'm remembering the disappointment over that ending on the Bombcast... dammit, already voted.

#13 Edited by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

New Vegas is basically what I wanted the original Fallout 3 to be. It's a better written game than 3 was plus I love the setting of New Vegas since it reminds me of the older Fallout games. I believe that the overall story is better in New Vegas and it actually let's you keep playing after the game ended instead of forcing you to buy DLC like in Fallout 3. I'll vote for New Vegas.

#14 Posted by toschi2222 (41 posts) -

New Vegas. Played both with every DLC, loved both, but liked the storylines of NV way more.

Plus: Robot companians. Sure way to make games great.

#15 Posted by TheBluthCompany (367 posts) -

I love love love New Vegas, it has way better dlc, Old World Blues is one of the best addons in any game ever, but Fallout 3 got me to love Bethesda games. I gotta go with the original.

#16 Posted by Ghostiet (5225 posts) -

New Vegas. It's what Fallout 3 was supposed to be - not a poorly written piece of shit.

#17 Posted by Belegorm (353 posts) -

Wow, I'm surprised people actually liked new vegas, it always seemed to me that the perception of that game is that it pales to fallout 3.

I said fallout 3 because I had way more fun with it

#18 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Vegas, because the shit is better.

#19 Posted by armaan8014 (5330 posts) -

HELL yeah FO3

#20 Edited by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

In comparison to New Vegas, Fallout 3 feels like it was written by a kid with a crayon.

#21 Posted by Killerfridge (301 posts) -

Fallout 3, it was new and exciting and I'd never played a game quite like it before.

#22 Posted by RazielCuts (2931 posts) -

When we're judging these do we take into account DLC as well or just the stand alone game?

#23 Posted by SeanFoster (856 posts) -

New Vegas

#24 Edited by EternalVigil (239 posts) -

Tough, Fallout 3 for me was much more fun to explore and play, while New Vegas had a better story and the awesome reputation mechanic. Both had very solid DLC (Though Anchorage and Dead Money were pretty bad honestly).

Have to go with Fallout 3.

#25 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

I enjoyed the setting and running around in it much more in Fallout 3. Both are great though.

#26 Posted by Galiant (2179 posts) -

New Vegas by far!

#27 Edited by D0tti (786 posts) -

Fallout 3, because I put in 300+ hours into that game and loved every minute off it. Only game I've played more are the FM games and that's like 900+ hours(per game..).

#28 Posted by Atlas (2430 posts) -

Man, I respect the hell out of New Vegas, and mostly I really enjoyed my time with it, but there are some really fucked aspects about how the narrative develops in that game and sets you down paths that I kinda don't want to go into because spoilers and all. Also it's kinda impressive that they took a Bethesda game and made it even more janky.

I picked Fallout 3. It's one of my favourite games of the generation. I have no loyalty to the old Fallout games, because I've never played them, but Bethesda games just stand out so much to me because of how much fun they are to explore and how they go around presenting the world (I was going to say creating a world, but that obviously doesn't apply to Fallout). The main story was kinda bullshit, but goddamn the side quests and all the explorable areas are so good. The writing wasn't as good as it was in New Vegas, but there's some great writing in the game, just mostly in sidequests and less obvious places. I also find that the Bethesda games are extremely good at encouraging and empowering roleplaying; one of my favourite ever RPG characters was my lawful evil FO3 badass.

#29 Edited by Levius (1077 posts) -

I tried NV but I could not get into it, I think it felt just too similar to 3 and I couldn't spend another 60 doing the same things.

I really hope Fallout 4 isn't brown again, I don't think I could face playing it otherwise.

#30 Edited by VaddixBell (227 posts) -

Fallout 3. I love both games but I'm gonna give the edge to Fallout 3 due to how much more revolutionary it was compared to NV. NV was a very good iteration and in some ways improvement on F3, but Fallout 3 was a bit more interesting and was a bigger experience than New Vegas.

Both amazing games that I really loved, but I'm gonna give the edge to F3.

#31 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2119 posts) -

Fallout 3 because it didn't crash a dozen times and kill two 50+ hour characters.

#32 Posted by Zlimness (541 posts) -

Fallout 3 is a non-linear, post-apocalyptic RPG.

Fallout: New Vegas is a Fallout-game.

New Vegas is the stronger candidate here.

#33 Posted by Brodehouse (9588 posts) -

New Vegas IS Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 is just The Elder Scrolls 4.5: Future

#34 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

New Vegas jesus, please just pick New Vegas.

#35 Posted by Atlas (2430 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

New Vegas IS Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 is just The Elder Scrolls 4.5: Future

I think in many ways this is the core of this debate, because I agree with you and that's exactly why I prefer Fallout 3. I definitely get the impression that people who loved the old Fallout games prefer NV because it's more faithful to the originals (which makes sense considering it was Obsidian), and what was good about those old games is what's good about NV (especially the writing), but if you hadn't played those games, and you either loved the Bethesda games or wanted a non-fantasy game made in the Bethesda style, then Fallout 3 was a goddamn revelation. That's why FO3 is more popular, and why it's currently winning, because there were more people in the latter camp than in the former.

Also, I understand where the notion is coming from, but saying "Fallout 3 is just TES4.5" is ridiculous - for one thing, why phrase it as if it's a bad thing?

@cale said:

3 because the ending of New Vegas sucked the big one, and I never finished 3, so I will just imagine it had a better ending. But now I'm remembering the disappointment over that ending on the Bombcast... dammit, already voted.

From someone who adored Fallout 3, here's a bit of advice: don't assume the ending is better than New Vegas. I didn't beat New Vegas because the game fucked me over, but Jeff and the Bombcrew were right; Fallout 3's ending was a super underwhelming way to end such a masterful game. I don't think I was angry about it as Jeff was, but still.

#36 Posted by SlashDance (1804 posts) -

I love both for different reasons. Fallout 3 is a Bethesda-ass Bethesda game, which means the writting is not great and the RPG systems are kinda meaningless, but it's way more fun to just roam around in that world than it was in New Vegas.

#37 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

New Vegas, of course, because Fallout 3 has bad writing.

#38 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I enjoyed the New Vegas setting far more than Fallout 3's setting. However, blowing up Megaton is one of this generation's greatest moments. That and Moira is probably my favorite character in any Fallout game.

#39 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

Both games are great, but I'm going with 3 because it stuck with me and made a bigger impression.

#40 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

why would you ever pick Fallout 3?

Worse writing

worse story

worse combatsystem in terms of rpg elements

worse world

worse fallout game

Fallout New Vegas is the only right answer....

#41 Posted by SlashDance (1804 posts) -

@darji said:

why would you ever pick Fallout 3?

"How can anyone have a different opinion than me?"

#42 Edited by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

Fallout 3. That robot is too damn awesome.

#43 Edited by SenorMartinez (33 posts) -

Hard. I love both games and I like New Vegas the most, but it is built on what Fallout 3 was, and that is also a fantastic game.

Fallout 3 is the right answer for me.

#44 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@slashdance: Saying Fallout 3 is the better game is like saying the sky is green.... There are opinions and then there are facts...

#45 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1442 posts) -

This is a tough one, because New Vegas is the better game, but I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot more. If I had played them in the opposite order, I'm positive I would be picking New Vegas, but having played it second it just felt like more of the same with some minor improvements and better writing. From a base game standpoint, New Vegas felt a lot like an expansion pack to Fallout 3, because the core of the game remained almost entirely the same. If it had been a leap in terms of the engine, graphics, design, and gameplay like we had from Oblivion to Skyrim it would have a been a much more interesting game, but as it is New Vegas is simply Fallout 3 on a different map with better writing and a different color UI.

#46 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

@darji said:

@slashdance: Saying Fallout 3 is the better game is like saying the sky is green.... There are opinions and then there are facts...

It's a fact that i think Fallout 3 is the better game.

#47 Posted by Brodehouse (9588 posts) -

@atlas: Saying Fallout 3 is just Elder Scrolls 4.5 is no more 'ridiculous' than saying New Vegas is just the third Fallout game. I think it's pretty clear I phrased it that way because I feel that Fallout Games are superior products to Elder Scrolls Games. If someone felt the opposite, they would phrase it the opposite way.

#48 Edited by Roomrunner (791 posts) -

I'm at level 36 in NV, feeling like I'm only a few decisions away from the final battle, and getting to the DLC now. Old World Blues was effing brutal, the game crashes on my PS3 frequently, I don't like how certain actions executed in secret effect factions big time. Companions are much better in NV, but I'm having a tough time remembering as many complaints about FO3.

Still having a lot of fun with NV, despite my gripes.

#49 Edited by leebmx (2216 posts) -

@hermes said:

Fallout 3.

Granted, I am just starting with NV, but I hate how on rails it feels.

On rails wut? Its one of least on rails games ever made. You can literally go anywhere, do anything. Its the absolute opposite. As soon as you get done making your character you are free to go. There are plenty of things wrong with NV but linearity is not one of them.

To the OP Fallout 3 made a bigger impression on me because it was the first 360 game, and first Bethesda game I ever played but I think New Vegas is a better game objectively. Better story, better characters, funnier and closer to the original games (or what I have played of them).

#50 Edited by JadeGL (749 posts) -

Fallout 3. I love both, but I never really clicked as well with New Vegas. I still haven't completed everything in New Vegas, but I wrung every tiny bit of content out of Fallout 3. I just think the destroyed Washington DC was a more interesting setting for me personally. I also enjoyed a lot of the story beats more. New Vegas is fantastic, don't get me wrong, it just didn't have as much of an impact on me as a player.