Game of the Generation Preliminaries: Fallout 3 vs. New Vegas

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll Game of the Generation Preliminaries: Fallout 3 vs. New Vegas (469 votes)

Fallout 3 60%
Fallout: New Vegas 40%

Main thread here.

Let's keep these preliminaries rolling. This time we've got Fallout 3, Bethesda's revitalisation of the Fallout franchise, against New Vegas, Obsidian's Nevada-based follow-up. Having not really played either game I'm interested to see how this goes. I can see it coming down to how few technical hitches you experienced in your playthrough of either game or maybe how hilarious those glitches were. I'll keep this poll open until midnight GMT/4pm PST so get your votes in before then.

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Fallout 3, because I've played that one.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3, because I've played that one.

Exactly what I was going to say.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By MildMolasses
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fallout 3 because it wasn't as broken as New Vegas.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Fallout 3, I enjoyed the storyline better and it ran much smoother than New Vegas

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You people can all take a suck. New Vegas 4 Lyfe.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I quite enjoyed New Vegas. If we're talking vanilla versions NV just had more systems that I quite enjoyed, e.g. the survival system.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Fallout 3.

Granted, I am just starting with NV, but I hate how on rails it feels.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

New Vegas is the easy choice here.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Vegas.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

As it's been for each of these, I like New Vegas more like pretty much everybody, but it wasn't a generation defining moment when it came out. Fallout 3 was HUGE. I can't not go with it.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By CaLe

3 because the ending of New Vegas sucked the big one, and I never finished 3, so I will just imagine it had a better ending. But now I'm remembering the disappointment over that ending on the Bombcast... dammit, already voted.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Phatmac

New Vegas is basically what I wanted the original Fallout 3 to be. It's a better written game than 3 was plus I love the setting of New Vegas since it reminds me of the older Fallout games. I believe that the overall story is better in New Vegas and it actually let's you keep playing after the game ended instead of forcing you to buy DLC like in Fallout 3. I'll vote for New Vegas.

toschi2222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Vegas. Played both with every DLC, loved both, but liked the storylines of NV way more.

Plus: Robot companians. Sure way to make games great.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love love love New Vegas, it has way better dlc, Old World Blues is one of the best addons in any game ever, but Fallout 3 got me to love Bethesda games. I gotta go with the original.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

New Vegas. It's what Fallout 3 was supposed to be - not a poorly written piece of shit.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I'm surprised people actually liked new vegas, it always seemed to me that the perception of that game is that it pales to fallout 3.

I said fallout 3 because I had way more fun with it

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Vegas, because the shit is better.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

HELL yeah FO3

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo

In comparison to New Vegas, Fallout 3 feels like it was written by a kid with a crayon.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3, it was new and exciting and I'd never played a game quite like it before.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When we're judging these do we take into account DLC as well or just the stand alone game?

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Vegas

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EternalVigil

Tough, Fallout 3 for me was much more fun to explore and play, while New Vegas had a better story and the awesome reputation mechanic. Both had very solid DLC (Though Anchorage and Dead Money were pretty bad honestly).

Have to go with Fallout 3.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I enjoyed the setting and running around in it much more in Fallout 3. Both are great though.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

New Vegas by far!

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By D0tti

Fallout 3, because I put in 300+ hours into that game and loved every minute off it. Only game I've played more are the FM games and that's like 900+ hours(per game..).

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Man, I respect the hell out of New Vegas, and mostly I really enjoyed my time with it, but there are some really fucked aspects about how the narrative develops in that game and sets you down paths that I kinda don't want to go into because spoilers and all. Also it's kinda impressive that they took a Bethesda game and made it even more janky.

I picked Fallout 3. It's one of my favourite games of the generation. I have no loyalty to the old Fallout games, because I've never played them, but Bethesda games just stand out so much to me because of how much fun they are to explore and how they go around presenting the world (I was going to say creating a world, but that obviously doesn't apply to Fallout). The main story was kinda bullshit, but goddamn the side quests and all the explorable areas are so good. The writing wasn't as good as it was in New Vegas, but there's some great writing in the game, just mostly in sidequests and less obvious places. I also find that the Bethesda games are extremely good at encouraging and empowering roleplaying; one of my favourite ever RPG characters was my lawful evil FO3 badass.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Levius

I tried NV but I could not get into it, I think it felt just too similar to 3 and I couldn't spend another 60 doing the same things.

I really hope Fallout 4 isn't brown again, I don't think I could face playing it otherwise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3. I love both games but I'm gonna give the edge to Fallout 3 due to how much more revolutionary it was compared to NV. NV was a very good iteration and in some ways improvement on F3, but Fallout 3 was a bit more interesting and was a bigger experience than New Vegas.

Both amazing games that I really loved, but I'm gonna give the edge to F3.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 because it didn't crash a dozen times and kill two 50+ hour characters.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 is a non-linear, post-apocalyptic RPG.

Fallout: New Vegas is a Fallout-game.

New Vegas is the stronger candidate here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Vegas IS Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 is just The Elder Scrolls 4.5: Future

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

New Vegas jesus, please just pick New Vegas.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@brodehouse said:

New Vegas IS Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 is just The Elder Scrolls 4.5: Future

I think in many ways this is the core of this debate, because I agree with you and that's exactly why I prefer Fallout 3. I definitely get the impression that people who loved the old Fallout games prefer NV because it's more faithful to the originals (which makes sense considering it was Obsidian), and what was good about those old games is what's good about NV (especially the writing), but if you hadn't played those games, and you either loved the Bethesda games or wanted a non-fantasy game made in the Bethesda style, then Fallout 3 was a goddamn revelation. That's why FO3 is more popular, and why it's currently winning, because there were more people in the latter camp than in the former.

Also, I understand where the notion is coming from, but saying "Fallout 3 is just TES4.5" is ridiculous - for one thing, why phrase it as if it's a bad thing?

@cale said:

3 because the ending of New Vegas sucked the big one, and I never finished 3, so I will just imagine it had a better ending. But now I'm remembering the disappointment over that ending on the Bombcast... dammit, already voted.

From someone who adored Fallout 3, here's a bit of advice: don't assume the ending is better than New Vegas. I didn't beat New Vegas because the game fucked me over, but Jeff and the Bombcrew were right; Fallout 3's ending was a super underwhelming way to end such a masterful game. I don't think I was angry about it as Jeff was, but still.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love both for different reasons. Fallout 3 is a Bethesda-ass Bethesda game, which means the writting is not great and the RPG systems are kinda meaningless, but it's way more fun to just roam around in that world than it was in New Vegas.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

New Vegas, of course, because Fallout 3 has bad writing.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ravenlight

I enjoyed the New Vegas setting far more than Fallout 3's setting. However, blowing up Megaton is one of this generation's greatest moments. That and Moira is probably my favorite character in any Fallout game.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both games are great, but I'm going with 3 because it stuck with me and made a bigger impression.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why would you ever pick Fallout 3?

Worse writing

worse story

worse combatsystem in terms of rpg elements

worse world

worse fallout game

Fallout New Vegas is the only right answer....

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

why would you ever pick Fallout 3?

"How can anyone have a different opinion than me?"

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By thatdutchguy

Fallout 3. That robot is too damn awesome.

No Caption Provided

SenorMartinez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SenorMartinez

Hard. I love both games and I like New Vegas the most, but it is built on what Fallout 3 was, and that is also a fantastic game.

Fallout 3 is the right answer for me.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slashdance: Saying Fallout 3 is the better game is like saying the sky is green.... There are opinions and then there are facts...

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

This is a tough one, because New Vegas is the better game, but I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot more. If I had played them in the opposite order, I'm positive I would be picking New Vegas, but having played it second it just felt like more of the same with some minor improvements and better writing. From a base game standpoint, New Vegas felt a lot like an expansion pack to Fallout 3, because the core of the game remained almost entirely the same. If it had been a leap in terms of the engine, graphics, design, and gameplay like we had from Oblivion to Skyrim it would have a been a much more interesting game, but as it is New Vegas is simply Fallout 3 on a different map with better writing and a different color UI.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@slashdance: Saying Fallout 3 is the better game is like saying the sky is green.... There are opinions and then there are facts...

It's a fact that i think Fallout 3 is the better game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atlas: Saying Fallout 3 is just Elder Scrolls 4.5 is no more 'ridiculous' than saying New Vegas is just the third Fallout game. I think it's pretty clear I phrased it that way because I feel that Fallout Games are superior products to Elder Scrolls Games. If someone felt the opposite, they would phrase it the opposite way.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By Roomrunner

I'm at level 36 in NV, feeling like I'm only a few decisions away from the final battle, and getting to the DLC now. Old World Blues was effing brutal, the game crashes on my PS3 frequently, I don't like how certain actions executed in secret effect factions big time. Companions are much better in NV, but I'm having a tough time remembering as many complaints about FO3.

Still having a lot of fun with NV, despite my gripes.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By leebmx

@hermes said:

Fallout 3.

Granted, I am just starting with NV, but I hate how on rails it feels.

On rails wut? Its one of least on rails games ever made. You can literally go anywhere, do anything. Its the absolute opposite. As soon as you get done making your character you are free to go. There are plenty of things wrong with NV but linearity is not one of them.

To the OP Fallout 3 made a bigger impression on me because it was the first 360 game, and first Bethesda game I ever played but I think New Vegas is a better game objectively. Better story, better characters, funnier and closer to the original games (or what I have played of them).

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jadegl

Fallout 3. I love both, but I never really clicked as well with New Vegas. I still haven't completed everything in New Vegas, but I wrung every tiny bit of content out of Fallout 3. I just think the destroyed Washington DC was a more interesting setting for me personally. I also enjoyed a lot of the story beats more. New Vegas is fantastic, don't get me wrong, it just didn't have as much of an impact on me as a player.