Thinking of trying it, any thoughts?

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I just tried the free trial and it's fine.  Only thing that would worry me is if they send you a copy that is scratched the hell up.  I'm sure they clean and repair the discs but you never know.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Milkman

I have some occasional problems with it taking FOREVER to ship me some games and they are constantly "low" on all new releases but in the long run, it saves me A LOT of money.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I have it, and I think it's pretty awesome. I know the post office near my house takes part in the system where once they scan it in, GameFly immediately knows and sends out my next game, which is great.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By RobotHamster

I'm thinking of trying it too, I'm just waiting for there to be enough people who say they like it so I can try it.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6  Edited By turboman

Saves you lots of money if you are constantly interested in new games.

russdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By russdog

I'm pretty happy with it.  I've been a member for over 2 years.  It is definitely no netflix...you will have games that you wait for and shipping times can be pretty slow.  I save a large chunk of money, though, with the # of games I like to play.  Their used game selection and deals are great, too.  Once every six months, I have $10 worth of coupons and end up buying games like Left 4 Dead 2 for $8, Far Cry 2 for $3.50, Boom Blox for $11, etc.  I recommend it.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ztiworoh

I posted a similar topic about a month ago and decided to go for the trial. My one complaint is that getting new releases is very difficult, but for having access to the types of games that are fun for a rental, it's a decent deal.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By landon

If your getting your games in at least a week, then its a blast.

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Brockly46

Ive had it a few months and its pretty good to atleast try out those games you know you wouldnt want to actually buy.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Vinchenzo

Tried it for 2 months. Lamest thing I've ever done. Most of the time my mindset was, "Why rent this game, might as well buy it because I'll be playing the multiplayer for an extended amount of time." In a world with only single-player games, it would be excellent.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By adoggz

screw gamefly the shipping takes forever and they never shiped any game that i want. you could easily go a full month without getting a single game from them. why pay for that?

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Kyreo
@adoggz: Off topic but I love Yer Avatar Doggz!!!
cancerdancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cancerdancer
ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ozzdog12
@Milkman said:
" I have some occasional problems with it taking FOREVER to ship me some games and they are constantly "low" on all new releases but in the long run, it saves me A LOT of money. "
I deal with that occasionally, but one time they sent me a demo disc of a game instead of the game
Light_Geiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Light_Geiger

had it since 2005 so I'm pretty happy with it. hell, if you like a game and rent it on launch day it ships to you brand new and you can keep it for 43-45 dollars. a new game for 20-25 bucks off is pretty cool

TheJasonSigler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By TheJasonSigler
@russdog said:
" I'm pretty happy with it.  I've been a member for over 2 years.  It is definitely no netflix...you will have games that you wait for and shipping times can be pretty slow.  I save a large chunk of money, though, with the # of games I like to play.  Their used game selection and deals are great, too.  Once every six months, I have $10 worth of coupons and end up buying games like Left 4 Dead 2 for $8, Far Cry 2 for $3.50, Boom Blox for $11, etc.  I recommend it. "
Agree with all of that, but also remember that it's not great if you have to play the brand-new games on day one. Availability on those will be extremely low until at least a month later. Great for exploring back catalogs and not being the freshest gamer on the block.
Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheCreamFilling

The first game I rented from them, Mirror's Edge, took three weeks to arrive. I was worried that it got lost, so I filed a complaint or whatever, and two days later both copies showed up. Apparently the first one was sent from Texas and the second from Pennsylvania. I'm in New England, I thought they would have gotten it right the first time, so I didn't send the first one back and got a free game!  

I then used Gamefly for the next two months, it was good, and received all games within three to five days. I'd recommend it. 

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19  Edited By recroulette

They have added more shipping centers, so it SHOULD be faster since last year or so.

I like to rent games when they come out, then buy them. So I basically get a unplayed game for about 45 bucks (25 percent off)

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArchScabby

Never, I mean  never have a lot of mediocre games on your list.  Because even if you have 30 games on your list and the first one says high availability, and then a shitty game at 28 says available now, they will send you the one that is available now clear from 28.  The way they handle the game priorities is completely messed up.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheCreamFilling:  congrats on stealing. 
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By sopranosfan

When they first expanded to 2 shipping centers I loved it.  You would actually get a new release pretty soon after the release.  Not immediately but soon enough.  However, I canceled because I would never get any new game for at least a couple of months after release and then I rejoined after Christmas and was a member for 2 months and couldn't get a single game in January or February from the Christmas season and canceled it again.  It is great for buying with the rewards and is OK as a rental if you don't want new releases but I have better luck and value renting games from my local Family Video store.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By damnboyadvance

I've heard the shipping is unreliable, as it can get lost in the mail easily. Other than that, I don't think I really have any other complaints.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheCreamFilling
@odintal: Hey, it was either keep it and they would be none the wiser, or return it and become a liar after reporting it lost in the mail.  
nobull6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By nobull6

I find Goozex to be a good compromise, but could be more expensive depending on your style. I like it because I can keep a game for a while and not feel like I'm wasting money. Also, if you run short on cash you can just stop consuming, which is less hassle than canceling your Gamefly account. Also, if you run out of money but have a bunch of points in your account, you can keep getting games without it actually costing you anything - that's what I'm doing now while I'm short on cash.

evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By evildeadron

i used gamefly years ago and it was utter shit, about 2 years ago i switched to a company called gamemine.com and they have been exceptional. 20 bucks a month for 2 games out, after a certain amount of time you can get the speed upgrade, where you tell them your shipping a game back and they start shipping the new one immediately to reduce transit times. check them out if you dont have much luck with gamefly 
Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sanryd

It's been pretty good for me, huge money-saver. I played through, and saw everything I wanted to see, in Splinter Cell: Conviction before I had to send it back. That saved more than 45 bucks if you figure that I rented more than just that game that month. Don't plan on getting a new release unless you had an open slot and it has been your queue for a while before it came out, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love gamefly but there are 2 words of caution i express to new users.

1. don't expect to get new games at release.
2. sign up for the 2 game plan. you get 2, play one send it back and play the other till the new one comes.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By adoggz
@Kyreo: thx, yours is pretty ballin too.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#30  Edited By citizenkane

I have had it since the beginning of the year.  I wish I had started it sooner.

Go with odintal's plan of getting the 2-game membership.  It's the way to go.  Too bad I had to go back to the 1-game plan to save money.  :(

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By UncleBenny

gamefly now has 4 shipping centers, and since I live in austin (one of the shipping center location), the shipping takes about a day for the game to arrive at my door step. It's a great way to experience games since I'm utterly uninterested in buying games all the time. I say try it for a few months and watch your achievement score sky rocket.

If it weren't for gamefly, I wouldn't have realized that Assassin's Creed is awesome, and would have probably still thought that Little Big Planet is the greatest game concept ever, thank you, GameFly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@UncleBenny:  LBP is a great concept. It's the execution that leaves something to be desired.
theads8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By theads8t
@theredcoat24: 

Some of those guys that used to work for Gamecrazy did this... 
www.bigfacegames.com
and i'm sorry I bought something (GOW 3, price was too good to pass up) the day they opened up, I just got it today...awesome!    
TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TotalEklypse

been on it for like 2 years.  issues at times gettin games u want but u gota know how to exploit their system to get what u want. now i am first to get all new releases i want lol. its good though u save lottsa moola

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kishan6

y not try it 

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36  Edited By recroulette

Funny, I get new releases all the time.

You have to keep your queue empty, but it's pretty foolproof.

You can buy new games for about 45 bucks this way.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By UncleBenny
@odintal: I don't know, I thought LBP was a great concept initially. However, after I played it, I couldn't pin point what they did wrong on the execution of their plan. I just couldn't help but think that maybe it's not about the execution, maybe the whole concept is flawed.

Then again, I only played it by myself and with some random strangers online, maybe it'll be more entertaining if I play it together with friends.
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cloneslayer

Gamefly is good if you can play through games fairly quickly and remember to send them back. Its best to have the two disk deal so you can play one while the other is in the mail. Also, don't expect to get popular games right away. Its good if you play a large volume of games but dont have too much money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@UncleBenny:  the biggest problem I had was that the platforming controls didn't feel right. the way the sack boys had this strange weight to them as if they were 75% full of water. 
i'm not the creative type so I didn't fuss much with the level editor but there were some pretty good ones. i had a hard time sifting through the "get these trophy" levels or the "check out my stickers" levels in order to get to the good ones.
H4xlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By H4xlike
@adoggz said:
" screw gamefly the shipping takes forever and they never shiped any game that i want. you could easily go a full month without getting a single game from them. why pay for that? "
That simply isn't true though.  You may have to wait a few weeks for BRAND new games you just put in your queue to become available, but if it's older then 6 months generally you can get it.  Good way to go is get the 2 discs one, usually 1 is a game where I plan on playing for a 2-4 weeks and the other is a short single player game.  With 2 games it's also easier to get the new games, just add it to your queue months before it comes out and send 1 of the 2 back so you have the opening as soon as it become available.   You even had to wait for new movies with Netflix, not sure if you still do. 
BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BonOrbitz

I've never used Gamefly, but I've heard horror stories about their shipping. I noticed that Blockbuster.com has games now, so you can rent 'em along with movies.

essd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By essd0g

I've heard if you live near one of the distribution centers you can expect better delivery speed. So can anyone living in the Los Angeles area attest to the speed at which games are delivered to them?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I really enjoy Gamefly. Only issue I've had was a PS3 copy of Black Ops that was scratched to the point of being unplayable.