• 64 results
JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JazzyJeff

I don't wonder why people look down at video game industry , and everything involved with it. They look at us and this business as childish, and to be honest, they're right. Gamers on message boards are snobby and arrogant, something I feel they pick up from the press. And the story, writing, and characters in the actual games themselves are cliched, and again, childish. Everyone keeps pushing for video games to grow up, but it's time to face facts: it never will.

They say the average age of a gamer is 35-years-old. It makes sense given how long the industry has been around, but these "35-year-olds" act like they're 15. I've never met so many assholes in my entire life than on a video game message board. Even the Giant Bomb forums house some of the most most immature, rude posters I've ever come across. It's easy to overlook when the person posting is only a teenager, but it's kind of ridiculous when they're in their mid-twenties (or older). You're not smart for being 25 and talking down to people 10 years younger than you. It's just pathetic. They get this behavior from somewhere, and I point to the press. 

People look up to journalists because they appear to be clever and funny, and it's from them that people get their information. I listen to a few different gaming podcasts, visit multiple sites, and can't deny that there is some great content out there. Unfortunately the good stuff is overshadowed by a constant stream of references to genitalia and profanity. Phrases like "Sucks donkey balls.", and "Batshit crazy." are phrases I've heard used multiple times on a number of podcasts. Whether they realize it or not, they are projecting an image to the world of how gamers are/should be. Journalists may not like to think it's their responsibility to act professional and mature, but don't cry when your beloved hobby is looked at as childish right after saying something sucks your dick. Things are looked at as how it's reported. Just look at Fox News and the reputation its given to conservatives.

Perhaps it is not all the press's fault. When most games are about shooting aliens or blowing up robots, it shouldn't be a mystery as to why it attracts a young and immature audience. I'm not saying mature people can't like science fiction, but we all know the audience it attracts. We all try to pass certain games off as artistic and deep, but how many games actually deserve do be looked in such a way? The Team Ico stuff is great, but those games are really far and few in between.

Now I'm not suggesting we should change things. I'm not knocking the press for being immature, or the developers for making games for 13-year-old boys. I'm just saying we should accept this business for what it is. We're a bunch of children. Everyday I read about how  people want the industry to be taken more seriously, but I don't think we really want that. If we did, then we would have started acting like grown-ups a long time ago. So lets cut the shit -- immaturity is the nature of this beast that we have created.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mikeeegeee

Why are you so obsessed with being mature? Lighten up, Debbie.

luniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By luniac

Youre batshit crazy...

OroYoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OroYoke

That is a big rant post.  

Just a quick thought, some of these people you dont even know, so how can you quickly judge someone just by seeing a few posts from him?

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By chstupid

Welcome to the internet good luck on you're epic quest to change it. I find it ironic when you don't like it when journalists curse and then end your rant with "So lets cut the shit". So what if I want to act like a child, video games remind me of my childhood.      
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Red

Practically every single medium's loudest voice on the internet are obnoxious teenagers.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aurelito

That's how it works. you can't divert it by a wall of text. of course they will grow up but you know this current generation of teenagers are infatuated with internet, cell phones and 3d games. you can't blame them or actually you can't blame us for being a little bit rude and ungrateful. also you're a pure bigot.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By oldschool

As an elder of the gaming world, I want my games to be fun and yes, childish in a way.  That is childish meaning fun, not stupid.  When I stop having fun playing a Mario game, then it istime to put me in a home.  Childish and immature are not the same thing. 

When a bunch of us are all on one couch playing Super Smash Bros, we are loud, we talk crap and most of all, we have fun.  I don't consider that immature and in fact, childish is probably wrong.  We enjoy it with a child like glee and life should always be like that. 

I don't care about the gaming press, in fact, I dislike it almost entirely.  I have made my views on Giantbomb's staff clear and I find it hard to fathom why anyone cares what they say.  They are not alone though, as it is the same for all of them.  I just want a mature explanationof facts, with the opinions clearly seperated (to largely ignore).  As for the people on the internet, if you focus on the crap, you will never be happy.  I just communicate with the members who act nicely and largely ignore the ones who talk crap or insult others.  I figured out long ago that the internet is both the best and the worst thing in the world.  It is certainly the same for all forums, not just games and that includes pure news sites. 

Have fun.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

I don't see why videogames should be singled out.  If anything videogamers are above average when it comes to maturity in all things worldwide.  Some people go out drinking, some people watch pro sports, some people run for Congress.  Maturity is more than how you say things, it's what you say, and of course more importantly, what you do.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

I don't know who keeps saying games need to grow up.  Every now and then, some blogger drags the tired "games as art" argument out of the dustbin and writes "if games are ever going to be considered art, they need to be more serious...blah, blah, blah."  I want games to be fun.  I want to lose myself in their worlds.  And, I quite enjoy gratuitous explosions, motion controlled boobs, and fart-powered racing.  Yes, I like taking a break from the solemn oppression of reality to frolic in all things juvenile.  And, if that means that gaming will forever be confined to the halls of junior high, then I am okay with that as long as it continues to be fun.

As for your gripe about people on the internet not being nice, well, the sad truth is people will often do or say things online that they would never do in person.  It's the old adage, Anonymity + The Internet = Asshole.  All I can suggest is that you conduct yourself in a responsible way and do not lower yourself to their level.  It's all about karma.  Be a good example and others will behave likewise in return.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By ManlyBeast

why the fuck are you on a game site then?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, all stories are cliched and childish? I guess I should give my younger cousins copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Quest IV, BioShock, several Valve games, Terranigma, Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu, and similar games that are apparently childish.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK

quickly guys! someone post that normal person + anonymity + audience = total c0ck pic!!!

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By angelkanarias

Fuck you, I won't waste my lifetime reading your post.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By spankingaddict
@JazzyJeff: have fun being serious and mature :)
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
@crunchUK: 

Don't give me orders, but nonetheless:

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Kiemoe

I don't see a problem with the term "batshit crazy." Hell, I wish Ebert and Roper would review a movie by saying "Transformers 2 can suck my dick."

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By turbomonkey138
@JazzyJeff: What ever you do dont go on 4 chan ..... in fact no one should go on 4 chan ever
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pirate_republic

The message boards aren't filled with the 35 year olds, because the 35 year olds are too busy with their jobs to uselessly post on message boards. 15 year olds are the ones on the message boards.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Video games need to grow up?  What?  In what way?  Games are fun, and I think that's what they're for.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fallen189
@pirate_republic said:
" The message boards aren't filled with the 35 year olds, because the 35 year olds are too busy with their jobs to uselessly post on message boards. 15 year olds are the ones on the message boards. "
Haha, oh wow.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By trophyhunter

I'm 23 I love games whoppie fucken do

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I hate using these examples, but Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and Braid would all like to have a word with you on "mature" games that aren't rated M.

Lighten up. Nobody likes a soapbox ranter, as the above comments have proven.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pirate_republic
@Fallen189 said:
" @pirate_republic said:
" The message boards aren't filled with the 35 year olds, because the 35 year olds are too busy with their jobs to uselessly post on message boards. 15 year olds are the ones on the message boards. "
Haha, oh wow. "
Glad to see someone picked up my deeply hidden humor.
Wally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wally
@ManlyBeast said:
" why the fuck are you on a game site then? "
QFT
coolfurby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By coolfurby

u r all big babbys

CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CactusWolf

Alright then.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CL60

I'm pretty sure it wasn't necessary to flame this guy and call him names.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

fu

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By torus
@CL60 said:
" I'm pretty sure it wasn't necessary to flame this guy and call him names. "
They think it's witty and ironic; it's not- a fact which proves his point, in a meta kind of way.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Are you trying to take away our fun of expressing the way we want to about a topic by saying we are immature and that we should all talk like gentlemen?

This is the internet good sir. No one gives a big friggin whoop about being mature. They only care if someone's trolling or not. It's not us being immature it's you not being able to lighten up and join the fun. Everyone can be serious when they want to, but is that more fun? No, it isn't.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#33  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@CL60 said:
This community has a storied history of violently crucifying anyone who attacks the site (MxO guys) or acts like a moron on the Podcast (Treyarch Community guy, Leigh Alexander, and possibly Jared Rea). This isn't out of the ordinary.
Genose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Genose

Isn't all this flaming pretty much validating his point? I personally think he's right about a lot of the issues that are presented here. Think about it outside of "Internet forums." When you see a gamer in real life, chances are, he's going to TRY and be sarcastic and witty, but end up acting like a complete asstard douche. In my opinion, most of it is just a facade that they do -- to act like their favorite journalist and/or gaming celebrity.  

A prime comparison on how these "internet gamers" mimic the "famous game people," is how people mimic the Angry Video Game Nerd/Yahtzee. Yeah, it's funny/innovating when they do it, but the mimics come off as ridiculous.  In my opinion, this is what JazzyJeff is trying to say. Take it with a grain of salt or whatever, but he's right, we're always going to be looked at like children because of this problem. It may bother some, while others don't give a shit, but it's the truth. I'm probably going to get flamed for this post, but atleast I know my hobby is for children! :)

MasterControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#35  Edited By MasterControl

Who the hell cares about taking the video game industry more seriously and why should I ever care what they think?  Also..dude. Looking up to journalists? C'mon. Seriously? Thanks for taking the time to think this up, I know you feel strongly about it but it would cause a lot less turmoil feeling LESS strongly about it. The world's screwed up man.

chapman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By chapman12

oh yes videogames are for kids when i was five the first thing i wanted to do was play condemmed and smash a psychopaths face into pieces.......idiot
Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kazu666

Games message boards have like what? 500 members? the games sell in the hundreds of thousands.................the retards on forums aren't the main player base of games.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Icil
@torus said:
" @CL60 said:
They think it's witty and ironic; it's not- a fact which proves his point, in a meta kind of way. "
I agree.

Also, "QFT"? Is it default to quote liars?
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By TheHBK

Leave, just leave.  THose immature assholes you speak of are us, the guys who make all the great videos on the site. Just leave.  NOW!!!!
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Absurd
@Kazu666 said:
" Games message boards have like what? 500 members? the games sell in the hundreds of thousands.................the retards on forums aren't the main player base of games. "
Much more than 500 members...
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iam3green

how do u want games to mature? there are some games that little 12 year old kids shouldn't play. there are some mature gamers out there. it's the message boards and the internet that have kids floating around. 35 year olds are busy with life to be on the internet. they have kids, family, and a job that they need to worry about. 

it's saying peopel that play videos that have no life. which can be true and untrue. some people have friends that hang out. 

one time one of my teachers told me that i need to get out more. i hang out with my friends all the dang time.

CapcomOverdose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CapcomOverdose
@iam3green said:
" how do u want games to mature? there are some games that little 12 year old kids shouldn't play. there are some mature gamers out there. it's the message boards and the internet that have kids floating around. 35 year olds are busy with life to be on the internet. they have kids, family, and a job that they need to worry about.   it's saying peopel that play videos that have no life. which can be true and untrue. some people have friends that hang out.   one time one of my teachers told me that i need to get out more. i hang out with my friends all the dang time. "
I want full blown sex scenes and Saw level senseless gore.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iam3green
@CapcomOverdose said:
" @iam3green said:
" how do u want games to mature? there are some games that little 12 year old kids shouldn't play. there are some mature gamers out there. it's the message boards and the internet that have kids floating around. 35 year olds are busy with life to be on the internet. they have kids, family, and a job that they need to worry about.   it's saying peopel that play videos that have no life. which can be true and untrue. some people have friends that hang out.   one time one of my teachers told me that i need to get out more. i hang out with my friends all the dang time. "
I want full blown sex scenes and Saw level senseless gore. "
i think if that really happened then games would go A- adults and game stores would not get it because some places don't want to sell A rated games. i know what u mean with that. i have heard that A rated games aren't that great with swearing all the time.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KnifeySpoony
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By breadfan

Dude, go to ANY internet forum and you will come across immature people trying to start something on the internet.  It has little if anything to do with video games, it is having the ability to talk smack from behind a keyboard with having any real life consequences.

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Sorry, but this tirade doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm not sure why you've contrived this idea of the press fueling gamer arrogance, because the press has nothing to do with it. Also, message boards in general are notorious for housing such arrogance. It's not just a trend among gamers. As a teenager who frequents message boards, I can't in recent memory think back to a time when I was "talked down" for my age. Flamed? Sure, everyone has been. But that wasn't because the person on the other end was a gamer -- it's because they were a douche.

You're arguing that gaming shouldn't mature. But if you've been following the industry at all in the past few years, it's plainly visible that it's already maturing. Yes, there are still plentiful amounts of tits and gore and there always will be, but gamers aren't just pre-pubescent nerds anymore and developers realize that. So unless you plan to pitch a tent and live on the outskirts of the gaming world forever, toiling away with this idea that gaming should remain immature is a little immature itself.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bigandtasty
@PenguinDust said:
" I don't know who keeps saying games need to grow up.  Every now and then, some blogger drags the tired "games as art" argument out of the dustbin and writes "if games are ever going to be considered art, they need to be more serious...blah, blah, blah."  I want games to be fun.  I want to lose myself in their worlds.  And, I quite enjoy gratuitous explosions, motion controlled boobs, and fart-powered racing.  Yes, I like taking a break from the solemn oppression of reality to frolic in all things juvenile.  And, if that means that gaming will forever be confined to the halls of junior high, then I am okay with that as long as it continues to be fun."
Definitely agreed. If I had to choose between mindless fun and artsy game, I'll take the mindless fun. A Braid or a World of Goo every now and then is nice, but I don't want all of my games to become artsy in the name of furthering the games-as-art movement.
JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JazzyJeff

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for reading and commenting. :) After reading through the comments and thinking about my post, I'll admit that it was a bit audacious. The truth is, is that I love this industry, and admire a ton of people involved in it - from magazine editors to concept artists. I was just really fed up, and this post is what poured out of me. 

Special thanks to: oldschool, Diamond, PenguinDust, Genose, iam3green, and JacobForrest for the thoughtful posts.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lowbrow
@JazzyJeff said:
" Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for reading and commenting. :) After reading through the comments and thinking about my post, I'll admit that it was a bit audacious. The truth is, is that I love this industry, and admire a ton of people involved in it - from magazine editors to concept artists. I was just really fed up, and this post is what poured out of me. 

Special thanks to: oldschool, Diamond, PenguinDust, Genose, iam3green, and JacobForrest for the thoughtful posts. "
JazzyJeff is an inappropriate name for you good sir. I think you should request a name change to Dr. Doom & Mr. Rodgers  :D j/k. 
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By eric_buck
@JazzyJeff said:
" I don't wonder why people look down at video game industry , and everything involved with it. They look at us and this business as childish, and to be honest, they're right. Gamers on message boards are snobby and arrogant, something I feel they pick up from the press. And the story, writing, and characters in the actual games themselves are cliched, and again, childish. Everyone keeps pushing for video games to grow up, but it's time to face facts: it never will.

They say the average age of a gamer is 35-years-old. It makes sense given how long the industry has been around, but these "35-year-olds" act like they're 15. I've never met so many assholes in my entire life than on a video game message board. Even the Giant Bomb forums house some of the most most immature, rude posters I've ever come across. It's easy to overlook when the person posting is only a teenager, but it's kind of ridiculous when they're in their mid-twenties (or older). You're not smart for being 25 and talking down to people 10 years younger than you. It's just pathetic. They get this behavior from somewhere, and I point to the press.   People look up to journalists because they appear to be clever and funny, and it's from them that people get their information. I listen to a few different gaming podcasts, visit multiple sites, and can't deny that there is some great content out there. Unfortunately the good stuff is overshadowed by a constant stream of references to genitalia and profanity. Phrases like "Sucks donkey balls.", and "Batshit crazy." are phrases I've heard used multiple times on a number of podcasts. Whether they realize it or not, they are projecting an image to the world of how gamers are/should be. Journalists may not like to think it's their responsibility to act professional and mature, but don't cry when your beloved hobby is looked at as childish right after saying something sucks your dick. Things are looked at as how it's reported. Just look at Fox News and the reputation its given to conservatives.  Perhaps it is not all the press's fault. When most games are about shooting aliens or blowing up robots, it shouldn't be a mystery as to why it attracts a young and immature audience. I'm not saying mature people can't like science fiction, but we all know the audience it attracts. We all try to pass certain games off as artistic and deep, but how many games actually deserve do be looked in such a way? The Team Ico stuff is great, but those games are really far and few in between.  Now I'm not suggesting we should change things. I'm not knocking the press for being immature, or the developers for making games for 13-year-old boys. I'm just saying we should accept this business for what it is. We're a bunch of children. Everyday I read about how  people want the industry to be taken more seriously, but I don't think we really want that. If we did, then we would have started acting like grown-ups a long time ago. So lets cut the shit -- immaturity is the nature of this beast that we have created. "

What? Who makes references to genitalia???