AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@sbarre said:

@hellbound said:

"If you don't like seeing news about people being laid off from websites, consider turning off your ad blocker. "

Ugh, tweets and ideologies like this just really burns me. Yes, it is my fault they got layed off. Not the Ad agencies that cover 90% of my screen, cause my eardrums to burst with louder than normal sounds (which is supposed to be illegal now), and exposing me to potential backdoor threats. Nah, it is all my fault.

That's blatant hyperbole and you know it. Your argument is way more ridiculous than the one you are countering..

Right because Jeff himself does not complain about the insanity of intrusive ad's now a days.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no...not Mary Kish! NOOOOOOOOO! Just say you're okay. :(

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@nictel said:

@video_game_king said:

Anybody got any ideas on how to make writing about video games financially viable?

Record YouTube videos in which you write about video games?

Are you seriously saying that on some level, people would pay to see me:

• type out rough outlines of my points
  • consult my notes for said rough points
  • fuck about getting the rough outline to work
  • getting distracted for twelve minutes as I search for a link or point to make in my writing
    • only to remember that I was writing something
      • only to remember what distracted me in the first place

Or whatever the writing process is?

Have you seen some of the stuff on YouTube? Also people watch this: http://www.twitch.tv/cyborgmatt/b/552039832 which is basically a person looking at text and going through files for 10,5 hours. Watching other people work while you do nothing is the new hype in procrastination.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, they really kicked out some old classic names too. Best of luck to all of them, hope they land on their feet and find success somewhere else.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

@video_game_king said:

Anybody got any ideas on how to make writing about video games financially viable?

Record YouTube videos in which you write about video games?

Are you seriously saying that on some level, people would pay to see me:

• type out rough outlines of my points
  • consult my notes for said rough points
  • fuck about getting the rough outline to work
  • getting distracted for twelve minutes as I search for a link or point to make in my writing
    • only to remember that I was writing something
      • only to remember what distracted me in the first place

Or whatever the writing process is?

I'd disable AdBlock for that.

JonKrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winegarner left ages ago, he put a video or two up on tested actually. To be honest, GameSpot has been adding more click enticing stuff recently, I mean that Aim Down sights show with the ex Xbox live video guy is pretty shameful.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

This is insane. I hate the general direction that games media is heading towards these days. Internet seems to be focused on knee-jerk reactions (kind of like this thread post ho ho ho!), first impressions, let's plays and so on. No one wants a proper fucking critique anymore; it's terrible. I know I am posting on this on Giant Bomb, a site that focuses on video content, perhaps that makes me a hypocrite but man, it really stinks seeing really talent writers getting shat on. Ryan Mac Donald as well man, he's a hero. Crazy news.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The site is moving more towards click-bait CONSOLE WARZ~! content and away from genuine editorial content and has been for a while.

antime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever happened to Chris Waters?

They thought he was just the work experience kid.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonkrag said:

Winegarner left ages ago, he put a video or two up on tested actually. To be honest, GameSpot has been adding more click enticing stuff recently, I mean that Aim Down sights show with the ex Xbox live video guy is pretty shameful.

Yep, they have been doing this sort of stuff for the past few years but I guess it was easy enough for me to ignore. It's really fucking bad though. Yikes.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I've been trying to tell some of those people for so long to get their faces in front of cameras more often, too often you forget they even work there because you never see them. On that note, Gamespot does a horrible job of letting viewers know that they're livestreaming, too often I'll go to their site and can't find anywhere on the front page that there's a stream going on, and on twitch they'll be lucky to have even 100 viewers watching. It's really hard to believe that it's still a problem that they haven't fixed yet, they bury their own content all the time.

Also you'd think that Jeff's ideas about where the industry is going would have rubbed off on them more than it has, this past E3 Kevin VanOrd had a list of previews he wrote up for the games, and I asked him if anybody was actually reading them. So much of the way they do things is still stuck 10-15 years in the past, and it's really sad because the amount of talent they just lost today makes me ridiculously sad.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By BatmanBatman

Man that was brutal. I don't go to Gamespot as much as GB, but I still enjoy some of their content and these people that got laid off are really talented ones. But yeah, seeing that list, there is definitely a pattern there.

Well best of luck to all of them and kudos to Carolyn Petit, for even after so much crap she had to put up with everyday, I felt her writing/reviews were only improving by the day. This sucks...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#263  Edited By csl316

Oh no...not Mary Kish! NOOOOOOOOO! Just say you're okay. :(

She wasn't on the list of layoffs that I've seen, but I certainly hope she stays on. Those Lion King and Aladdin streams were amazing!

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess maybe what we are seeing with Gamespot and even with Polygon is that while traffic and being big is important, having a really dedicated and passionate community might be even moreso.

I wasn't aware that Gamespot's videos suffered from such small audiences. It is sort of baffling that Giant Bomb's twice weekly morning show routinely has more viewers than such a huge website like Gamespot can get for their featured livestreams. It also makes me think back to what I saw a few weeks ago when I visited Polygon. There was barely any activity on the forums. The most recent posts were hours old and threads last participated in days ago were still on the front page.

It kind of makes you wonder.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#265  Edited By monkeyking1969

To lose so many people is soul crushing for Gamespot, CBSi, and the whole industry. I really hope these people get hired somewhere else very quickly.

I guess it only pays to be these folks...keep 'Developing those Products' you two Vice Presidents of Product Development.

No Caption Provided
development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By development

@excast: Yeah. I hate calling it "loyalty," because that seems to imply people following regardless of merit, but Giant Bomb certainly has... passion from its fans... much moreso than sites that seem to target more of a general audience.

@monkeyking1969 Wow. Fucking ridiculous.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wow this is really sad. Those layoffs are like 99% of the Gamespot editorial staff! Does anyone know if this is happening for all of Gamespot or just the Gamespot US office? Those cuts seem pretty deep. I have to say though, I'm not surprised. It seems like everything having to do with journalism these days, video games related or not, seems to be going over to video content so staff writers are usually the first to go. It really sucks but times are a changin'. I hope everyone involved finds a new job quick!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

@giganteus said:

@hatking said:

Apparently GameSpot wants to neuter its editorial voice. Fucking stupid move, but I can't wait to see what these folks can do when not working for a website that seems like it actively wants to kill itself.

Did you ask yourself why before posting that? If they want to continue existng, they have to make decisons such as this one. They're not doing it for giggles.

Its a real shame though. Hopefully they can all land on their feet nicely.

Have you been to GameSpot recently? They're shifting away from editorial content because they get more clicks with catchy bullshit about PS4 vs Xbox One and Twitter rumors. It's no coincidence they let their best writers go. Like I said, if that's GameSpot's thing now, then I'm happy some of the good writers will be moving on to, hopefully, more creatively hospitable environments. I suppose kill itself should be amended with kill itself creatively. I'm sure it'll thrive when it's basically IGN Jr., but I'll never go back.

Its the same with Polygon recently. I dont believe the click-bait will save them for too long.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superfriend: I don't think anyone at GameSpot has a passing interest in video games.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there even real discussion about this on Gamespot's site anywhere? Or a mention? I looked around and the most I could find was a forum thread with a grand total of 8 posts.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why anyone would want to be a games journalist these days. It's nearly impossible to get a full time staff gig, and even if you do win the lottery and get one, you hold your breath every year and hope you aren't made redundant.

Hell, I think I'd extend that to any form of journalism.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Ryan Mac :( guy was OG. Him, Jeff and Rich made most of what GameSpot was back in the days, and ultimately is nowadays.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

What a real bummer. I still have fondness for those big, juicy editorials, and it looks like these layoffs are symbolic of those going away. There has to be a way for someone to be a video personality and a writer, right? We have Patrick, so it isn't like other sites couldn't try it.

Pretty strange that Jeff's old dream of creating a website that would "take on Gamespot" is coming true, but in a completely different way.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ryan Macdonald too? Fuck. This is bizarre.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@excast said:

I guess maybe what we are seeing with Gamespot and even with Polygon is that while traffic and being big is important, having a really dedicated and passionate community might be even moreso.

I wasn't aware that Gamespot's videos suffered from such small audiences. It is sort of baffling that Giant Bomb's twice weekly morning show routinely has more viewers than such a huge website like Gamespot can get for their featured livestreams. It also makes me think back to what I saw a few weeks ago when I visited Polygon. There was barely any activity on the forums. The most recent posts were hours old and threads last participated in days ago were still on the front page.

This stood out to me when I visited a page for The Besties on Polygon (their podcast). There were 5 comments after a couple days, but you go to the Bombcast and get 50 comments in like 10 minutes.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

@excast said:

Is there even real discussion about this on Gamespot's site anywhere? Or a mention? I looked around and the most I could find was a forum thread with a grand total of 8 posts.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/seven-editors-laid-off-from-gamespot-so-far-31468614/#213

The fact that there are more posts about this on Giantbomb then on Gamespot seems super weird to me. A site we are told is super popular traffic wise just got absolutely gutted, yet only 200 posts?

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@excast said:

This stood out to me when I visited a page for The Besties on Polygon (their podcast). There were 5 comments after a couple days, but you go to the Bombcast and get 50 comments in like 10 minutes.

I feel like everyone talks about Polygon a lot so I guess I expected some kind of thriving community when I visited their site. What I saw was an absolute wasteland.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@excast said:

@slag said:

@excast said:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/seven-editors-laid-off-from-gamespot-so-far-31468614/#213

The fact that there are more posts about this on Giantbomb then on Gamespot seems super weird to me. A site we are told is super popular traffic wise just got absolutely gutted, yet only 200 posts?

I'm sure lots of the post got deleted for one reason or another.

Avatar image for usernameandemail
Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from the impact this has had on those who have been laid off, this is a validation of the business model that GB is built on and presumably purchased by CBSi with the intent to emulate it.

The death of long form writing in nearly all media has long been forecast in print media, especially newspapers, and the way people consume information now is to put it politely, economical.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#282  Edited By stonyman65

@excast said:

@slag said:

@excast said:

Yeah that is weird.... I guess they really don't have that much traffic as it seems. I remember back when Gamespot was the biggest site about games in the world, and then IGN came along a took some of that away. Of course a lot of your more hardcore Gamespot users left and came here after Gerstmanngate in 2008, but even then Gamespot was huge. It seems like it hasn't been until the last couple years that things started to drop off.

I'd be real interested to see what Giant Bomb's traffic has been over the last year compared to other gaming sites. It seems like they've been killing it recently!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Some of y'all are being ridiculous. Giantbomb is still a separate website to Gamespot, and has a different avenue of monetizing. As long as subscriptions continue to be good then Giantbomb will not have to worry about these kinds of layoffs. Basically, if people stop paying for subscriptions in droves then Giantbomb will go down. So to break it down even further- if Giantbomb no longer has fans the site will dissipate naturally which means no one would even care by that point.

Gamespot got rid of their subscriptions. They are currently running solely on ads. To top it off they have been consolidating a world wide network of multiple offices around the world (China, Australia, UK, and US that I know of). They have what you would call "bloat" for the amount of money the site takes in- even if they get 5 million unique visits per month. GS got overly ambitious with it's infrastructure at some point and now it's time that CBSi consolidates because it, frankly, isn't working out (except China, which is still kicking I think and I believe gets high traffic).

I mean seriously- did no one think it was weird when UK, Australia and US offices were recombined into one site? Gamespot.co.uk no longer exists as a separate website. There have been several things that have happened to Gamespot within the last 2 years indicating this was coming. This is not out of nowhere.

I'm sorry to the people who lost their jobs- it really sucks. However, this is not some conspiracy, it's not out of nowhere, and it won't affect Giantbomb. The signs were there, but no one cared until it happened.

That's just how business works- if consumers don't care about your product you restructure.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Jesus fuck...they're pretty much gutting Gamespot out! Justin? Carolyn? Ryan Mac? Holy crap...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#285  Edited By monkeyking1969

@excast: Yeah. I hate calling it "loyalty," because that seems to imply people following regardless of merit, but Giant Bomb certainly has... passion from its fans... much moreso than sites that seem to target more of a general audience.

@monkeyking1969 Wow. Fucking ridiculous.

I don't know the peopel who MAKE the money should be well paid. My point is these top folks hold the lives of THESE people in their hands

No Caption Provided

...so f-ing earn it. All these sites have people in five or six cities across the US, and they need those top people to make it happen. So earn it like that Berkeley degree matters for something. The person who makes the money for us at my work place earns twice as much as I do...but she earns it like a champ...so that is okay with me.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tom was a person who dared to question why we kill so many arabs in FPS's and whether FPS's nowadays paint a too rosy picture of war and armed conflict. He wrote several, pretty thought-out articles about what videogames were trying to convey and propagate. Whether or not we should berate the millionth war simulator in which the americans are always the heroes and the arabs or russians are inherently evil. The comments he got were pretty toxic and juvenile. Another thing McShea was famous for, was rating critically acclaimed games with a 7.5/10. He got constant shit for his reviews, both in his reviewspage and the forums and beyond that.

Carolyn wrote articles about misogyny in videogames and whether this is a development we should actively dismiss. Again, an author who goes further than "You shot that guys face off with a rocket launcher! Awesomesauce!". But it was met with a lot of transgender insults. The same goes for her GTA5 review, a few lines about misogyny in GTA5 incited in entire flame wars that went on for weeks. The editorial team and the admins had to step in to stop the abuse.

The lay-off of these two people are quite shitty. This reaffirms that the videogame industry does not want dissent voices as reviewers. Everything has to be the same regurgitated crap of oozing praise without posing any question of its contents. Mind you, this very site is property of CBSi and these layoffs have proved once again critical thinking is not wanted at all.

Thanks for typing this. This is exactly what I'm thinking right now. Of the Gamespot crew, these two definitely represented the more intellectual and diverse voices of the editorial crew. It says something about the management how they are first to be fired, especially Tom McShea was actually quite an old timer.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: You have to remember that a lot of people are doom and gloom about this kind of stuff. Remember how many people were sure that GB would merge with GS within a year of CBSi buying GB? I do. Fact is that it makes zero sense for CBSi to merge the two sites under one banner even if they should begin doing much of the same stuff (GS will continue to cover "everything" like they do now, but with more freelance - they get a huge amount of their traffic through random Google searches, and wouldn't want to give that up by stopping reviewing man games). CBSi will never give up the GS name because it's incredibly valuable: It has a lot of history, and since it's a old website that has been popular for years, the Google search engine loves it. So merging GS into GB would not make sense.

On the other hand, GB would lose the subscription model if CBSi merged into GS. So that's a no-go too. And GB is running so lean that it wouldn't be much gained in terms of salaries by merging the two sites either: GB is editorial with two producers in SF, one in NYC (and vinny is half editor anyways).

I expect more crossover between the sites if they become similar, but I have absolutely no problem with that. Merging though? Makes no sense.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themangalist: Except it wasn't only those two, and they weren't "the first" to be laid off. It was a bunch of people at once, those two were just the first to tweet it.

buffaloseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very sad news today.

I'd love to see some of these people start up a site/mobile app similar to The Magazine or The Loop Magazine that offers quality long-form editorial content at an attractive price. Both those ventures seem to be going well for their creators, and I think that gaming editorial would fit well into the "micro-subscription" model. It has its audience, but isn't necessarily marketable on mass-appeal gaming sites. I think some of that writing would go over fairly well here, but there are definitely a lot of people who are just looking for more and more video content that isn't challenging or diving very deep into their topics.

I'd gladly pay a couple bucks an issue if I could know I was going to be getting high-quality writing. It's part of why I pay for my subscription here. While it's great fun watching the guys, a lot of the people here know a ton about games; far more than I ever will. It's that depth of knowledge that encourages me to pay for the site and makes it valuable to me (in addition to simply really enjoying the personalities here).

Layoffs really suck and whether they're personal or driven by the cold, heartless and mechanical business machine, are a miserable situation. I really hope those affected can bounce back soon.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@excast said:

@slag said:

@excast said:

Yeah that is weird.... I guess they really don't have that much traffic as it seems. I remember back when Gamespot was the biggest site about games in the world, and then IGN came along a took some of that away. Of course a lot of your more hardcore Gamespot users left and came here after Gerstmanngate in 2008, but even then Gamespot was huge. It seems like it hasn't been until the last couple years that things started to drop off.

I'd be real interested to see what Giant Bomb's traffic has been over the last year compared to other gaming sites. It seems like they've been killing it recently!

The redesign about a year ago fucking destroyed what was left of the GS community. Look at the forum over there, it's still a mess a year later. The GS community is gone, what's left are people drive by commenting on articles and videos. And if you're trying to focus your site more on live streams and video, and you don't have a community? You're in deep fucking shit my friend. The Lobby, their most popular live show, gets at most 1000-1500 people watching on Twitch, and 2-300 people in the chat on GS. GS has STILL not been able to migrate people over from Twitch to their own player. The Mario stream yesterday, which was for Premium members only, had about 3000 people chatting (and thus more people watching), to put that in perspective.

Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969:

Don't forget that also have a responsibility to shareholders (remember they are actual people with families) who put their own cash into the company with the intent to make a profit.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

It's unfortunate. Regardless of whether you liked the people affected by this or not these people have been put in an incredibly crappy position. Think about what would happen if you lost your job? In a world where YouTuber's are gaining popularity more and more of these jobs are disappearing. I really hope all the people let go can find something fairly quickly.

Many have also mentioned that there isn't much discussion on GameSpot's own forums. From what I've seen they seem to have a... "different" type of community over there. This one of the many reasons I stopped frequenting GameSpot once Giant Bomb came along.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By cornbredx

@amyggen: I never said, or implied, the sites will merge (just for clarification on that haha).

Again they are two separate entities within the CBSi infrastructure. That is the point I am trying to make.

Gamespot is it's own thing, and Giantbomb is it's own thing.

Gamespot covers broad gaming and culture. Giantbomb is considered more niche coverage. I hate to use the term, but I am not the first. It is said that Giantbomb covers the "core" gamer. Gamers that actually care enough to participate in the gaming community and discuss gaming fervently (and for the most part respectfully).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By mike

Slightly Off Topic but is there even an active General Discussion forum on Gamespot, or are their forums primarily just System Wars now?

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Seems like mostly System Wars and Off-topic from just a glance.

Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: We should rename "core" to "enthusiast" when talking about gamers.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#297  Edited By Hailinel

Ryan Macdonald too? Fuck. This is bizarre.

Truly. I can't really fathom the reasoning for why the layoffs shook out as they did, other than cost-cutting. I imagine that Ryan was probably among their more expensive staff members salary-wise due to his seniority, but that's pure conjecture on my part and absolutely nothing I say regarding this should be taken for anything other than the speculation it is.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@talibanchic: Ya, I never know what to call gamers in our category.

Enthusiast is fine, sure. I'll use whatever term gets the point across. haha

Chippy180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks to see people lose their job. Hopefully they land on their feet. Corporate restructuring is a painful, but necessary process.

@smcn said:

@koolaid said:

Maybe I'm a selfish person but I wish someone here at GB would confirm that no one here has been laid off instead of posting something vague and foreboding and going offline.

How about instead something vague and foreboding you might not have seen yet, posted yesterday on Patrick's tumblr?

No Caption Provided

EDIT: Though I guess it could just be a reference to the Max Temkin stuff.

I've been out of the loop on Chicago stuff for the past while. Any chance you could fill me in on what happened to Temkin? Is he doing alright?

Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: You know what, I have no idea either. Maybe obsessed?