sirpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

Edited By sirpenguin

No Caption Provided
While looking over today's gaming news stories I came across a particularly hilarious quote from David Jaffe: "Soon, bitch!". He had screamed that in response to when the next Twisted Metal game was coming out. I couldn't help but laugh at the quote, both for its absurdity and because of who said it; Jaffe is known for his rather loose tongue and candid demeanor.

The whole thing got me thinking about how people view popular people in their respective industries. Personally, I've never been interested in any celebrities before. I like movies and TV shows just as much as the next guy, but I'm always the one asking his friends "uh, who is that actor again?" whenever I see someone I think I know. I'm just not that good at keeping track of them all, nor is it really important to me. I also don't think I'll ever understand the people who live off of celebrity gossip rags. I just can't imagine how clinging to the slightest bit of information (which is always taken out of context!) and blowing it out of proportion is entertaining.

This sort of apathy extends to all aspects of entertainment for me...there are very few musicians, movie actors, sports stars, etc. that I'd actually care to meet, and even fewer I'd try to reach out to if I wanted an autograph. I have friends who squeal with delight and barely contained mania when they see a band they like enter the stage. They aren't just excited about the music or the idea of a concert, but rather, they are excited to see the actual people. They jump up and down hoping to make even the slightest bit of eye contact with the lead singer...I even had a friend who once pledged to never take a shower again after she claimed she had been sprayed by the sweat of Steve Tyler.

Crazy, crazy people, letting themselves get all worked up like that. He's just a person, a human just like you or me!

What did you say? Who was the visionary behind Mario and Zelda? Uh, Shiggy Miyamoto of course, are you nuts?! Why do you ask? Wait, is he here? Did you see him? Did you meet him?! DID YOU SHAKE HIS HAND? OH MY GOD TELL ME YOU SHOOK HIS HAND DID YOU DID YOU DID YOU??? DID YOU GET HIS AUTOGRAPH? DO YOU THINK YOU COULD GET HIM TO SIGN MY FACE? IF YOU CAN I WILL JUST DIE AND...AND

...uh, where was I again?

Come to find out, I do actually care about "celebrity personalities" and the like...just not the typical ones that you might expect. I care about the celebrity game industry people. Thankfully, I don't think I'm alone. Just think of all the people who would kill to meet and talk to people such as Tim Schafer and Will Wright and Warren Spector. These are the great minds of our industry, and their visions and projects have been instrumental in shaping the very landscape we see today. And to think I would turn my nose up at celebrity gossip! Our gaming journalists are no better when it comes to these people; the moment one of them says something goofy or does something unexpected, the media is all over them, even if the news itself is stupid or minor. 

So thank you, David Jaffe, for showing me that I'm just as much of a rabid fangirl as anyone out there. Now I'm left wondering if I would take a shower after being sprayed with Miyamoto sweat...hmm...perhaps its best not to think about that.   

No Caption Provided
sirpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sirpenguin

No Caption Provided
While looking over today's gaming news stories I came across a particularly hilarious quote from David Jaffe: "Soon, bitch!". He had screamed that in response to when the next Twisted Metal game was coming out. I couldn't help but laugh at the quote, both for its absurdity and because of who said it; Jaffe is known for his rather loose tongue and candid demeanor.

The whole thing got me thinking about how people view popular people in their respective industries. Personally, I've never been interested in any celebrities before. I like movies and TV shows just as much as the next guy, but I'm always the one asking his friends "uh, who is that actor again?" whenever I see someone I think I know. I'm just not that good at keeping track of them all, nor is it really important to me. I also don't think I'll ever understand the people who live off of celebrity gossip rags. I just can't imagine how clinging to the slightest bit of information (which is always taken out of context!) and blowing it out of proportion is entertaining.

This sort of apathy extends to all aspects of entertainment for me...there are very few musicians, movie actors, sports stars, etc. that I'd actually care to meet, and even fewer I'd try to reach out to if I wanted an autograph. I have friends who squeal with delight and barely contained mania when they see a band they like enter the stage. They aren't just excited about the music or the idea of a concert, but rather, they are excited to see the actual people. They jump up and down hoping to make even the slightest bit of eye contact with the lead singer...I even had a friend who once pledged to never take a shower again after she claimed she had been sprayed by the sweat of Steve Tyler.

Crazy, crazy people, letting themselves get all worked up like that. He's just a person, a human just like you or me!

What did you say? Who was the visionary behind Mario and Zelda? Uh, Shiggy Miyamoto of course, are you nuts?! Why do you ask? Wait, is he here? Did you see him? Did you meet him?! DID YOU SHAKE HIS HAND? OH MY GOD TELL ME YOU SHOOK HIS HAND DID YOU DID YOU DID YOU??? DID YOU GET HIS AUTOGRAPH? DO YOU THINK YOU COULD GET HIM TO SIGN MY FACE? IF YOU CAN I WILL JUST DIE AND...AND

...uh, where was I again?

Come to find out, I do actually care about "celebrity personalities" and the like...just not the typical ones that you might expect. I care about the celebrity game industry people. Thankfully, I don't think I'm alone. Just think of all the people who would kill to meet and talk to people such as Tim Schafer and Will Wright and Warren Spector. These are the great minds of our industry, and their visions and projects have been instrumental in shaping the very landscape we see today. And to think I would turn my nose up at celebrity gossip! Our gaming journalists are no better when it comes to these people; the moment one of them says something goofy or does something unexpected, the media is all over them, even if the news itself is stupid or minor. 

So thank you, David Jaffe, for showing me that I'm just as much of a rabid fangirl as anyone out there. Now I'm left wondering if I would take a shower after being sprayed with Miyamoto sweat...hmm...perhaps its best not to think about that.   

No Caption Provided
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MetalGearSunny

That was an enjoyable read. Awesome title also.

sirpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sirpenguin
@Metal_Gear_Sunny: Thanks, man!
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

Whenever I see someone that is well known to me, I'm like, "Hey, that's that guy or girl, cool". It would be great if I could say, "I know your work or enjoy it", and I would then just move on with my life. 

I'm a big golf fan though, for real and in video games, so I'm ashamed to say I've been following the Tiger Woods saga word to word. Kind of sad, but hey, that's entertainment, not really, I'm just rubbernecking.

Nice read.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

Miyamoto would be awesome to meet. He's the type of guy I could tell people that don't like video games about and they'd actually care (He invented that mare-e-oh game. Awesome, i know right?)

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I don't regret following you at all.  That was rather eloquent, dude.

Also, I would totally shit my pants if I knew I was within thirty miles of Erik Wolpaw.  Goddamn, one funny dude.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I am tired and about to go to bed, and have already deleted several sentences that I have tried to write as a result. Instead, I will just say: Excellent blog post!

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By c1337us
@Claude said:
" Whenever I see someone that is well known to me, I'm like, "Hey, that's that guy or girl, cool". It would be great if I could say, "I know your work or enjoy it", and I would then just move on with my life.   I'm a big golf fan though, for real and in video games, so I'm ashamed to say I've been following the Tiger Woods saga word to word. Kind of sad, but hey, that's entertainment, not really, I'm just rubbernecking.  Nice read. "
What did you think of the press conference?
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nice blog dude. Also +1 for your mending avatar.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Whisperkill

David Jaffe kind of pisses me off...

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By spacetrucking

I've met David Jaffe! Well, actually I just shook his hand after one of his talks at USC. Fun fact: I didn't know he was the creator of God of War at the time. I was under the impression that he was just another dude from Sony Santa Monica.

My other 2 memorable celebrity encounters are outside gaming. I was very excited when I got to talk to Lucas during my first semester at USC. It was a really significant event for me at the time because I'm a huge Star Wars nerd and it was like a dream come true. The other memorable meeting I had was with John Williams a couple of years ago before a concert. Can you believe it was a free RSVP event ? Gotta love college sometimes.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By evanbrau

Peter Molyneux is coming to Dublin as part of a film festival next week and I'll probably be there. I don't think I'll flip out or anything since I haven't really enjoyed anything he had a hand in since Dungeon Keeper. I don't really get star struck at all.

sirpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sirpenguin
@S0ndor:  I'm so psyched someone knows what it is! And to be fair, it'd probably be +3 healing...;)
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@SirPenguin: Haha, maybe your next blog should be about Guild Wars and how nobody knows what it is :)
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

nice, celebrities are just people. pretty good blog, bro. 

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Cube

David Jaffe is awesome. Him and I agree on many things. We like the same things. Tells it like it is, haters gonna hate.