Gaming Rage

Flux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Flux

So anyone who has played a game knows about the feeling of rage you get when you can't get past some stupid platform, finish off a boss, or trying to figure out just how they got that headshot on you.

What follows suite? Depends on the person, I enjoy the generic yelling and hollering, along with a mix of words that might offend a mother in a different language.

But the real question is, What makes you rage and how do you express it?

Please refer to this cat for any questions.

No Caption Provided

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Just dying over and over again makes me rage.

These days, though, I generally quit long before I start raging and I try again in an hour or two. You'd be surprised what even half an hour's break can do for your concentration and focus on a difficult part of a game.

Actually, what I hate worse than that is when level design makes searching for the trigger, key, or whatever that lets you progress really difficult. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Doom, but that game can take a deep dive down the shitter when I've spent forever on a key hunt and I can't, for the life of me, find it. That is the point where I go consult a guide. Luckily, most of the time Doom's keys are placed in areas where you'll eventually find them while hunting for monsters to kill and health and ammo to kill more monsters with.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I only get super pissed off in online shooters when the connection is causing me issues. Basically I get pissed off when things are out of my control. I have no problem dying over and over again, but when it is due to something like lag spikes, I get extremely pissed. This is why I say Logitech builds some of the strongest mice; they hold up damn well when being slammed down on the desk.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
I've already got that covered.
I've already got that covered.

Flux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Flux

See now when I start dying over and over. I cant stop myself from playing until I beat it, or get past the part i'm stuck on.Call me sadistic, but I love the brain rage.

I'll piss a moan until I beat it, but once I do. Oh man,

Loading Video...

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last weekend, I finally sat down to finish off Fallout: New Vegas once and for all.

Three hundred or so Xbox system freezes in twenty-four hours of game time later, I'm cleaning the spittle from my monitor and apologizing to my neighbors.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Most games aren't challenging enough to make me mad, just maybe annoy me a bit.

Starcraft is the only game that gets me anything close to raging, but even then it is more going on tilt than getting angry. Playing it at a higher level is an exercise in frustration, though it can be really rewarding. For example, I was tilting today so I went on a bit of a losing streak. The other day I was having a blast and won like 9 games in a row though so it all equals out.

Flux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What fuels me is just general stupid things that will happen, weather its a bug, lag or a flying hippopotamus drops onto my face.

Some days I'm more edgy than others.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Sanious

I would say the thing that probably gets me the most irritated is when it takes "too long" to retry or continue. Shitty check points, I remember getting one in Modern Warfare 2 on Veteran where I would respawn into the middle of a street in front of like 10 guys in that area. How I express it, I usually yell about it and try to blame the game regardless if it was actually the game or bad play on my part.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By HH

i'm really enjoying the daily dota at the moment, but i would like to think it's possible to turn off the sound of those catchphrases that your character makes CONSTANTLY, cos in a stressful situation stupid unnecessary dialogue drives me fucking bananas.

and this carries over into so many games, repeatedly telling me to hurry up or everyone will die, while i yell STFU like an idiot.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Aside from a very few instances, I can never bring myself to get mad or frustrated playing a game. I only find amusement at my continued misfortune.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d557b323a6f7
deactivated-5d557b323a6f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

" oh yeah. No, no, I was in 7th place I deserved to get hit with that red shell. No that's fine. Totally fine"

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@sanious said:

I would say the thing that probably gets me the most irritated is when it takes "too long" to retry or continue. Shitty check points, I remember getting one in Modern Warfare 2 on Veteran where I would respawn into the middle of a street in front of like 10 guys in that area. How I express it, I usually yell about it and try to blame the game regardless if it was actually the game or bad play on my part.

Shitty checkpoints are the worst. Killzone has some pretty bad ones too where you would have to start the level over even if you died 15 minutes in.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By GunstarRed

It has gotten less and less over the last few years, but things like the instant fail stealth sections in Future Soldier (any game really) or the foot chases in Assassins Creed 3 with its inconsistent bullshit are the kind of things that get me really, really annoyed.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm usually always pretty calm and collect when playing games. I'll loose 3 games of Dota in a row with my team of friends loosing their shit - doesn't bother me. But for some reason NBA2K12 made me hurl my controller across the living room the other day - scaring the shit out of my dog. Don't think I'm gonna play that game again..

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My rage comes in the form of shouting sarcastic remarks and occasional controller abuse. I have yet to break a controller thankfully. I've been making an effort to avoid slamming on my controllers.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Winternet

I think only sports games and fighting games has led me to be enraged. But, it's been a good long while since that happened.

I would get a bit physical with my reactions. Slam my desk, slap the crap out of my monitor and if I got really mad I would get up and pick a pillow and slam it to the bed/couch/wall. That's pretty much it.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

These days, though, I generally quit long before I start raging and I try again in an hour or two. You'd be surprised what even half an hour's break can do for your concentration and focus on a difficult part of a game.

I completely agree! Yet I insist on sitting and getting annoyed rather than just turning the damn thing off!

I don't usually get any kind of game rage though tbh, I usually just end up saying "Whaaaaaat?!" Especially when I think I'm being awesomely super stealthy and then get picked off in a second! (I'm never awesomely super stealthy.)

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I mostly get angry if I find mechanics to be simply unfair, or I face an obvious imbalance in multiplayer. Little made me rage as much as CoD back when I played that, and people ran around with the fucking akimbo shotguns. Rogues in World of Warcraft was a steady source of fury for me as well, through essentially all expansions up to MoP, before which I stopped playing. I'm very mildly tempered, and as such may exclaim "Bullshit!" if exposed to too much... well, bullshit.

What really gets to me though is trash-talking in multiplayer, it fills me with a rage seldom seen and I could as such never compete in any kind of professional leagues. I'm all too easy to psyche, and would probably end up finding and mauling whoever takes the piss on me during tournaments. I mostly deal with my rage through brisk walks, going outdoors for a bit and taking some air.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeJerk

For the past few years of gaming rage I've treated my DS3 as a neGcon.
With the help of duct tape repairs it still lives..

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

I rarely get angry when playing games, but whenever I would get mad, it's usually just saying things somewhat loudly like "What the fuck is this man!?" "God dammit, what the fuck!" ''Dude... Ughhh. This game sucks. This game fucking sucks. I can't believe this." As I've said though, I rarely do get mad. Usually, I'd get mad when something's being cheap, but then, even if the game is technically cheap, I'd either blame myself, or I'd face the fact that the game was cheap and never want to play the game again on the difficulty setting I'm at even if I could make it through it again.

I've never gone so far as to want to throw a controller, but my adrenaline does go up and stay up for the remainder of the time I'm in that section until I'm done. I usually quit and come back to it later. I figured out a long time ago that getting angry over something in a game will only make your ability to play worse. I think the biggest fit I've ever thrown when playing a game was when I was 12, and I couldn't beat Thardus in Metroid Prime; I was so frustrated I started yelling and crying, ha ha. My goodness I have matured.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I don't know of anyone else in person that's as calm a player as I am. I'm consistently surprised at how fast people can lose their shit just after a while. That's one of my least favorite things when it comes to seeing others play games, from my friend or brother playing a game and getting frustrated enough to say a game's shit just because he can't beat a section, or my other brother that gets angry if he loses because he's competitive. If you keep calm, you'll find that you'll almost always triumph, or at least that's how it seems.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I scratched my copy of the second Spyro game or some shit and I couldn't get past this one cutscene. So I pull the disc out and break it in half. That's me.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Losing/dying in some bullshit way usually. I don't really suffer bad games long enough to get proper angry at them anymore.

I played through Far Cry 3 for the first time recently and found a lot of the mechanics in that game to be pretty frustrating. The fucking radio towers in FC3 were even worse than the checkpoint respawning in FC2.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

The only time I get mad is when the game has broken stuff that makes you fail. Alone in the Dark and its Black goo. Or a random difficultly spike that makes no sense.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I get more rage over a character who is otherwise smart, acting like a complete dumbass for the sake of dragging out a story or revelation, then actually playing the game.

For example in the latest Tomb Raider, Lara is shown from the start to be a fantastic researcher, smart, diligent etc yet it takes her 95% of the game to put together something that the rest of us have figured out bloody ages ago.

This inevitably leads to me looking like a paranoid maniac as I sit shouting increasingly exasperated and sarcastic comments at at a TV as character X misses the point yet again.

If you want to know how it feels, then it is that feeling of 'gah' that I know you've all suffered when watching one of the Giantbomb crew play a quicklook of a puzzler.