GB, what should I get? (AVP vs. Dante's Inferno)

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ImperiousRix
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

AvP has multiplayer so it may provide you some more replay value and incentive to play it more than Dante's Inferno.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ImperiousRix

With my extended vacation coming to a close, and being on the eve of returning to school, I need one last video game hurrah to raise my spirits before returning to the realm of education.  Hell, I'd like to have something to play to keep my mind off of school once the year begins.  So what is the GB communities opinion?  I both greatly enjoy first person action games, and have a certain spastic knack for hack 'n slash games.   
Although things point towards neither of these games being a particularly appetizing choice, I must assert my love for things Alien and Predator, as well as my equal affection for well-done combos, dismemberment, and quick-time-events. 
VOTE!

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Bigandtasty

If I were picking for myself, I'd go with Dante's Inferno because of my lack of enthusiasm for competitive multiplayer.

If I were picking for someone else, I'd go for Aliens vs. Predator to enjoy the multiplayer while it has as many players as possible.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ArcBorealis

AVP, because unlike Dante's Inferno, it's not taking the source material and making it into something that it isn't.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Yukoei

Bioshock 2.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ImperiousRix

Indeed, part of my attraction to AVP is the potential for its fun multiplayer.  I played the demo and actually became pretty proficient with it.  It has it's problems, but they never got in the way of the fun I had with the demo. 
Just downloaded the Dante's Inferno demo today, and played through it twice in quick succession.  Its a pretty damn good action game, but something about it makes be feel really uncomfortable for some reason, and the lackluster reviews aren't helping my perception of it.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Ravenousrattler

i'd say neither unless you have played all the good games that have come out in the last few months, and are still coming out

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By handlas

neither.  But it's your money.

I dunno wut you have so I dunno what to suggest otherwise.  Personally I'm enjoying the hell out of MAG and really didn't expect to.  Reviewers were way to harsh on it, only fault I see thus far is that if your team sux...well, it's not very fun.  Pretty sure I've sunk as many hours into it already as I did from owning MW2 since launch.  Also, cannot wait for Heavy Rain as well now since the demo exceeded my expectations.

edit:  Welp, I dunno then.  Looks like you got everything and more that I got on 360.  Between Dante's Inferno and AvP...if I had to choose.  Personally I'd go with AvP just because I'm a sucker for Predators and found the demo to be slightly amusing.  From what I hear of Dante's Inferno, it starts out well but then becomes a chore to play because of poor level design and repetition of enemies.  Which is something I know I can't stand.  I was pretty tired of Darksiders about half the way through but maybe that is because I played it nearly nonstop till the end. (and then I sold it for Mass Effect 2)

I'm looking forward to seeing how Metro 2033 does review-wise.  But I think that is a month away till it comes out.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ImperiousRix
@handlas:
Sadly, my PS3 ownership has not yet come to fruition, so no MAG or Heavy Rain or any of that for me. 
Another thing of note is my brother is picking up Bioshock 2 in a few weeks, so there's no reason for me to pick that up.
fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fourby

What are you looking for?
Big-ass guns and space? AVP.
Big-ass demons and bewbs? Dante.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I have never seen a poll that hated dante's inferno as much as this. I hate that game also.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ImperiousRix
@VisariLoyalist:  
That's actually kinda surprising to see.  Almost makes me feel bad for poor Dante.  Almost. 

@Centimani said:
"What are you looking for? Big-ass guns and space? AVP.Big-ass demons and bewbs? Dante. "
This is the question I should have been asking myself all along. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Doctorchimp
@ImperiousRix: Dude....iono, from the demo that I played on Dante's Inferno and from what I've seen of it... Good fuck that game. 

Are there any games you haven't gotten? I mean AvP might be okay...but I don't know, I wouldn't feel good telling you to go for it just from the demo I played.
Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Liminality

AvP, and I don't think that there is a high probability of being a bad game, it looks really good.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By handlas
@Liminality said:
" AvP, and I don't think that there is a high probability of being a bad game, it looks really good. "
my gameinformer magazine disagrees with you.  

Not that I listen to gameinformer.  I get magazines from them because I got an EDGE CARD from Gamestop.  Cuz I live on the edge.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ImperiousRix

Hmm, I'm beginning to regret putting the "pick something else" option on this poll. 
Still, it seems pretty definitive that nobody likes Dante's Inferno.  That almost makes me wanna get it out of spite.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ImperiousRix

Yes, I'm going to bump my own topic.  What of it?!

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crystalskull2

There's so many great games coming out. So,get something else.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By torus

Bioshock 2.

SunmanJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SunmanJ

Looks like its a choice between story or multiplayer isn't it?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ImperiousRix

You nefarious rapscallions... 
Why did I bump this topic, again?!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel

Surely you can do better than either of these two.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Hailinel said:
"Surely you can do better than either of these two. "
What can I say, apparently I'm a masochist.  I don't know, though, I certainly feel like championing one of these games even in the shadow of so many great early year releases. 
The last game I played to completion was Mass Effect 2.  I think I've got enough good will built up that I can tolerate some potential shitty-ness. 
Then again, maybe not.
Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rebirth1337

If I were to "HAVE" to buy one of those it would be Dante's Inferno it's probably the less crap of the two. But if I didn't I would not get either.  
@handlas: Gameinformer said it was bad for a reason. The MP is just shit. And I'm pretty sure the SP wont be good because the controls suck.

Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Workyticket

Are some people really still taking that Game Informer review seriously? I'm prepared for AVP to be mediocre, but let's wait till some actual journalists review it, eh?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Rhaknar

if this topic was made like...2 or 3 months from now, when both games are way cheaper, i'd understand... but now when they are both probably full price? yeah...neither >_>

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RandomHero666

AvP demo is pretty damn fun.
Dantes Inferno Demo is like.. cool, but just a generic Hack 'n Slash

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust

With Battlefield: Bad Company 2 right around the corner, I can't see AVP's online multiplayer really having any lasting value.  And, with God of War III out in a month, too, why not wait for that?  Okay, if you don't have a PS3, I think that would be a consideration for Dante's Inferno, but otherwise, there is little reason to waste your money on a mediocre knock-off.   And, if the 360 is your only choice, then check out Just Cause 2, the XBLA games Perfect Dark and Toy Soldiers, or either FFXIII or Resonance of Fate.  And, I think someone already mentioned Bioshock 2, so that is also a better choice than either of AVP or Dante.  I think both are good rentals, but to pay full price for them seems foolish to me since they probably won't have much long term value and their short term enjoyment doesn't seem to be worth $60. 

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FunExplosions

Yep, Dante's Inferno still looks awesome to me. Get that.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ImperiousRix
@PenguinDust said:
"With Battlefield: Bad Company 2 right around the corner, I can't see AVP's online multiplayer really having any lasting value.  And, with God of War III out in a month, too, why not wait for that?  Okay, if you don't have a PS3, I think that would be a consideration for Dante's Inferno, but otherwise, there is little reason to waste your money on a mediocre knock-off.   And, if the 360 is your only choice, then check out Just Cause 2, the XBLA games Perfect Dark and Toy Soldiers, or either FFXIII or Resonance of Fate.  And, I think someone already mentioned Bioshock 2, so that is also a better choice than either of AVP or Dante.  I think both are good rentals, but to pay full price for them seems foolish to me since they probably won't have much long term value and their short term enjoyment doesn't seem to be worth $60.  "
I appreciate the fact you actually gave an informed and detailed response.  You make an excellent point about AVP's multiplayer, and seeing as I am likely not getting BF:BC2, I may have been going in the completely wrong direction by going for AVP almost exclusively for its multiplayer.  Indeed, I don't personally own a PS3 (the one in our house is my little brother's, and although I COULD technically get God of War, I'd rarely get time to play it with that despot running the system), so after Wolverine, I've been starved for some God of War-esque action. 
I'm not opposed to XBLA games, but the problem exists with a severe lack of HD space left on my system.  Sadly, I don't get into JRPG games as much as a lot of people, though not for want of trying, and my older brother is picking up Bioshock 2 soon, so unless I wanna be extremely kind and buy a game he's already pledged his money to, I'm not picking it up (not to mention, I wasn't the biggest supporter of the original Bioshock), 
Woo, that was long-winded.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pibo47

AVP all the way. The demo is kinda crap because its death match. But its still fun, ahhhh i love predator!

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidSwords

Get Both!  Go for broke! So what if you'll eat BB & J until your next paycheck, it'll be worth it!
Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aetos

There are other better games out and coming out soon. Why not just wait to pick these two up later when they drop in price.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jkz

They're two totally different games, so if you like either genre over the other, get it. 

On the other hand, Dante's looks solid-(ish), but extremely derivative, whereas AVP looks, in my eyes, to be complete shite (which really is too bad, was looking forward to it.) 

I'd still advocate not buying either, but if you need to buy one, I'd probably go with Dante's.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Skytylz

neither, bioshock 2 both those suck.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jmrwacko

The AvP singleplayer campaign looks really interesting, especially as a predator.

Also, you should preorder Bad Company 2. Go play the demo/beta if you haven't played it already.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jmrwacko
@ImperiousRix said:
" @Hailinel said:
"Surely you can do better than either of these two. "
What can I say, apparently I'm a masochist.  I don't know, though, I certainly feel like championing one of these games even in the shadow of so many great early year releases. The last game I played to completion was Mass Effect 2.  I think I've got enough good will built up that I can tolerate some potential shitty-ness. Then again, maybe not. "
That seems to have the opposite effect on me. Because ME2 was so good, the bar has been set much, much higher. That's why I'm not getting Bioshock 2, because I'm sure I'll be disappointed.
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sabata

Get Bayonetta.  Problem solved.