God of War Clone.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By regularassmilk

I've noticed this term is being thrown around lately, at Darksiders, and Dante's Inferno and stuff like that, and was wondering that maybe this term will be outdated too soon.
Sorta like how All Sandbox games used to be referred to as GTA Clones, or FPS games were called Doom Clones. 
Do you guys think this term will disappear soon, or do you think there isn't enough distinction between Hack and Slashes to make the term no longer valid?

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CptChiken

There really isnt much you can do with a hack and slash except change the setting... changing the gameplay would make them no longer hack and slashes. calling a hack and slash game a "GOW clone" is therefore silly

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By regularassmilk
@CptChiken said:
" There really isnt much you can do with a hack and slash except change the setting... changing the gameplay would make them no longer hack and slashes. calling a hack and slash game a "GOW clone" is therefore silly "
But people do it excessively.
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CptChiken
@regularassmilk: I know... and they clearly dont understand the restrictions of the genre 
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By toowalrus

I don't think the term is going away any time soon, unfortunately. But I don't care if a game is a clone, if it is still a fun game to play. After all, some of my favorite games were clones. Banjo-Kazooie was a clone of Super Mario 64, and I love that game.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By xyzygy

I hate when they do that too. I've played many "GoW clones" which I liked way better than GoW. Also, I've played many "Halo Clones" which I've liked more than Halo. Another one that really annoys me, it's not around as often anymore, is a "Halo Killer". Glad that one was finally laid to rest.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By JoelTGM

I call Dante's Inferno a GoW clone because it is.  It's not just another innocent hack & slash game, the developers are totally copying it without even trying to hide it.  I don't mean they're copying the hacking and slashing, I mean they're copying stuff unique to GoW like the chests with health the attacks and controls of those attacks and even the combo numbers are exactly the same.  There is a part where you jump onto this walking beast and wreck havoc just like in GoW.  It's like they're too lazy to be creative and they're totally ripping from GoW which isn't a very nice thing to do.

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cazamalos

yeah i hate those kind of comparison, because sometimes means the disinformation of people to that game... and the term is probably gonna disappear when the internet fanboys disappear(NEVER)

what give me heartsickness is when Uncharted2 is called "halo killer" and "GoW clone" omg.....

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CptChiken
@DOUBLESHOCK: all the things you mentioned arn't unique to GOW
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Hamz

I doubt people will stop using the term anytime soon.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JoelTGM
@CptChiken:  yeah I'm doing a bad job, but I meant it's really obvious that the developers wanted to make something VERY similar to GoW.  All hack and slash games don't have to look and play exactly the same as GoW, there IS room for creativity.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

The word "clone" will be used for years and years.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptChiken
@DOUBLESHOCK  
You can hardly say that by taking inspiration from a book written 700 years ago it looks exactly like god of war, one is ancient greece one is hell.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JoelTGM
@CptChiken said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK  You can hardly say that by taking inspiration from a book written 700 years ago it looks exactly like god of war, one is ancient greece one is hell. "
Not talking about that, not getting specific either, just saying it would be one hell of a coincidence if they developed Dante's Inferno without ever looking to GoW for "inspiration".
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By sjschmidt93
@regularassmilk said:
Sorta like how All Sandbox games used to be referred to as GTA Clones,
Used?
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

And why this cut-off at God of War?
God of War was as much a "clone" of many games before it.

Frankly I'm just glad the genre is having a surge cause I like it, and good one's have been lacking so far this generation.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CptChiken
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @CptChiken said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK  You can hardly say that by taking inspiration from a book written 700 years ago it looks exactly like god of war, one is ancient greece one is hell. "
Not talking about that, not getting specific either, just saying it would be one hell of a coincidence if they developed Dante's Inferno without ever looking to GoW for "inspiration". "
Thats not what my gripe is with, ofcorse they took inspiration fom God of War, if you were making a game in this genre you would be silly not to. its the people that say " OMGZ the just copied everythingz that GOW did LOLZ NOOBZ" because they clearly didnt
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Snail

Not really. I mean, Darksiders is being unfairly tagged, it isn't really a God of War clone, if anything it is a Legend of Zelda clone, and even that statement is unfair. It borrows from these games, and perhaps others, and creates its own interesting and satisfying formula, whereas Dante's Inferno is a blatant copy of God of War, even control wise. The fact that you open treasure chests (or whatever those things are) was quite shocking to me, maybe because it was the last straw that made me realize they had gone beyond the frontier of "inspiration", way beyond. The gameplay mechanic is absolutely the same, even control-wise, but that goes without saying, then there is the story which instead of being set in a Greek/Roman Mythological setting takes place in a similar setting, the Biblical setting (similar in the way that it is equally mythological, this is, fantastic in the same way, a fantasy world based on religious beliefs). 

Dante's Inferno has a similar story, similar inclusion of sexual content, similar  gameplay mechanics (controls, etc.), and, dare I say, similar protagonist. The Story is far more ridiculous than the one in God of War though (you start off by killing Death?). 

But that is besides the point here, I don't think that what you are saying will come true, the only God of War Clone here is Dante's Inferno, I just hope people don't start seeing every beat-em-up or hack-and-slash as a "God of War Clone". But with the recent release of Bayonetta and considering the fanbase there is for the Devil May Cry franchise, that is not likely to happen. 

That being said, I don't think that GTA necessarily started off the Sandbox genre, sure it was an important game in the popularization of the genre, but it was no Doom. And lets not forget that these games created a genre being a "God of War Clone" is not a genre, it fits into the genre of beat-em-ups/hack-and-slash/Action-Adventure games. It's not like God of War is such an amazing game, and it's not like it invented those genres.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" I call Dante's Inferno a GoW clone because it is.  It's not just another innocent hack & slash game, the developers are totally copying it without even trying to hide it.  I don't mean they're copying the hacking and slashing, I mean they're copying stuff unique to GoW like the chests with health the attacks and controls of those attacks and even the combo numbers are exactly the same.  There is a part where you jump onto this walking beast and wreck havoc just like in GoW.  It's like they're too lazy to be creative and they're totally ripping from GoW which isn't a very nice thing to do. "
I agree. After watching the quick look, it looks exactly like a re-skinned God of War. Even climbing the walls and stuff. Ultimately I'm fine with it, because I'll play the game and I foresee enjoying it, but it's certainly disingenuous on their part.

And as @ProfessorEss: said, there were plenty of games that God of War took queues from.
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By buzz_killington

If more games like Dante's Inferno keep getting made, yeah it will disappear.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By habster3

This term annoys me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Strife777

Darksiders is more of a Zelda "clone" than a GOW "clone". I personally don't use those terms because with the amount of games made, there will obviously be similarities. The thing with Dante's Inferno, is that it's pretty much the exact same conceptually. From the way it controls, the fountains that are pretty much the chests in GOW, the "will stop at nothing to reach its goal" anti-hero protagonist, etc., the game is pretty obvious homage to God of War. But hey, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive

god of war definitely did a lot of things that were unique to god of war at the time but they were still within the confines of a genre.  
gta3 pretty much created the genre. so its different. 

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Akeldama

Just as Gears of War is THE cover shooter, God of War is THE hack and slash adventure. 

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jeffgoldblum

It's just like how all cover based shooters were "Gears of War Clones" until sometime last year. Now we just call them cover based shooters. If the gameplay style sticks around long enough eventually people will stop saying God of War Clone.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By apathylad

Yeah, the term "God of War clone" is a bit of a generalization, but it helps inform consumers what a game's like by comparing it to something they may be familiar with.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Just as with FPSs were called Doom clones, the God of War genre of hack and slash will eventually stopped.

Also, anyone hate the acronym GoW? It's confusing, it could mean God of War, Gears of Wars and who knows what else! Oh, and typing in GoW in google brings Gears 1st, then Gagnon Ornamental Works in 2nd, then God of War in 3rd.