• 86 results
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#51  Edited By sammo21

I actually think Godzilla's new design is great and the joint work between Legendary and Toho has me excited. The quote from Oppenheimer is fantastic. Godzilla looks like he could take on anything which is how the King of the Monsters needs to look.

Maybe we'll get an awesome Godzilla game this next generation with some badass levels of destruction. One can only hope. I grew up on Godzilla movies so seeing this is a must for me.

I don't really understand your conundrum. You want them to make a cheesey ass Godzilla movie where a talking head comes in, no one really dies, and Godzilla does stupid inane shit for no real reason? Need we remember Godzilla started out as a serious movie about the consequences of atomic testing, technology, and the two atomic bombs that hit Japan? There will still be monsters that Godzilla wrecks...even the teaser proves that...so I really don't see the disconnect in having a slightly grounded Godzilla movie with other kaiju, tons of destructions, and a Godzilla that is mother nature in her rawest form.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hopefully they find some way of getting Jamiroquai back on the soundtrack :D

Loading Video...
emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If Pacific Rim on a big 3D screen freaked me out, then going by the tone of this trailer, this film in 3D could really scare me. The sense of scale seems to come across really well on a big cinema screen, at least.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

That was great, but this is what sold me:

the film is directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters) and stars Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kick-Ass)

OK, yeah, consider me interested. Given the themes surrounding Monsters, Gareth sounds like the perfect fit to direct a gritty Godzilla movie.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#55 riostarwind  Moderator

If they manage to keep that kind of tone all the way through the movie it seems like it might be quite effective for making a gritty Godzilla movie.

Genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AWESOME

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I remember reading that Toho, the company behind Gojira, is much more involved in this film than in the last one, so I'm confident they won't mess it up. These are the same people who bought the rights to the '98 Godzilla (whom they renamed Zilla) just so they could kill it, allegedly. I don't know if they'd sign off on a film they didn't think was true to the original.

Loading Video...

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

I love the dark tone of the trailer. That might be the most effective teaser I've seen. I hope it's representative of the final product.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59  Edited By Seppli

Guess I'll be watching that next Summer.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By wrecks

ALL IN

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm down for that all the way!

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I gotta admit, that looks fucking awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@ocdfox said:

The amount of cynicism in this thread is actually kind of discouraging. Fantastic trailer, though.

It's not meant to discourage others. It's just that, when it comes to western Godzilla productions, producers have a history of not knowing or respecting the source in a meaningful way. Roland Emmerich's Godzilla film is the epitome of that notion. Another being the amazingly terrible Godzilla cartoon produced by Hanna-Barbera in the 1970s. That's not to say that the Japanese didn't let the monster descend into silliness given the number of kaiju battle films starring Godzilla, but in the west, producers haven't had their hearts in the right place, historically.

I do hope that the new film does better than the track record. Early signs point to that possibility. I just don't want to get my hopes up, you know?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

If Pacific Rim on a big 3D screen freaked me out, then going by the tone of this trailer, this film in 3D could really scare me. The sense of scale seems to come across really well on a big cinema screen, at least.

I'm really hoping this flick is released on IMAX 2D...legit IMAX, not upconverted. Does anyone know if they are using IMAX cameras during production?

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You've come a long way, Godzilla.

Though, like in the original movie, I hope they just have straight hopeless destruction for some twenty minutes of the film. Perhaps with music and narration like this clip from the first one. Spoilers for the original english Godzilla film, but if they can strike a similar tone but with newer technology and better acting, I think it could be something special. It's just a kind of lingering destruction and suffering you don't often see outside of some war and post-apocalyptic movies. Some of the screams heard in this scene still stick with me.

Loading Video...

God, I forgot how great the music in the original was.

As for the new one I'm really excited. I was a fan of both the original "this is super serious guys" Godzilla and the more kid friendly defender of the Earth Godzilla. I just don't see that wacky, fighting a bunch of crazy monsters type Godzilla to fly anymore. I think the new one has serious potential to remind people Godzilla actually had a lot of meaning behind it originally. Though, it does look like there is another monster in that trailer. Whatever it was lying on the ground that had a bunch of arms. So it looks like we will still get to see Godzilla fight something.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good... i like it that they show dead people next to the train, they never show that in monster movies.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'm in the minority who thinks it looks very lame.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hope that Matthew Broderick is in this or heads will roll!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Hope that Matthew Broderick is in this or heads will roll!

Really? That movie sucked so bad...I'm sure Broderick is trying to forget that version of Godzilla ever happened, just like the rest of the world is!

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool but there already has been a godzilla movie recently sorta (Pacific Rim)

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayeh said:

Looks cool but there already has been a godzilla movie recently sorta (Pacific Rim)

Yeah, but i LOVED Pacific Rim (aside from those ridiculously annoying scientist characters)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By jakob187

I have a confession to make:

I not only own the Godzilla soundtrack (as well as a 45 vinyl of Rage Against The Machine's "No Shelter" that was given out at Best Buy), but I still enjoy it...

...except for that fucking Puff Daddy bullshit.

I also have a few cupholders that you could get from...Burger King, I think?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#73  Edited By penguindust

I've been a huge Godzilla fan since I was 5. I think I've seen every movie, the two cartoon series that I know of, and collected the Marvel and Dark Horse comics back in the day. Godzilla getting back to basics doesn't bother me at all. I have always considered him a force of nature, like a hurricane or earthquake. Such disasters leave casualties in their wake. It's sad, certainly, but in most circumstances, expected. Second, through the majority of the Godzilla movies, even during that hippie-crap period in the late 60's, Godzilla's be one pissed off kaiju. He's either a bully or a dick to all other monsters. If you want "friend to all children" you're better off digging up Gamera. Speaking of which...

Loading Video...

I am eager to see this new Godzilla movie. The last movie came out in 2004, so we're due. The next trailer should add this song...I mean, they gotta make Godzilla relevant to today's youth, right?

johnbakosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a huge Godzilla fan when I was younger I've got to at least see this.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By KittyVonDoom

@jakob187 said:

I have a confession to make:

I not only own the Godzilla soundtrack (as well as a 45 vinyl of Rage Against The Machine's "No Shelter" that was given out at Best Buy), but I still enjoy it...

I still own the copy I was given for my birthday from 1998, I think it was also my first album. Such a weird solid album for a junky family movie. Always loved A320!

Loading Video...

(I now want to find this vinyl)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By crithon

i don't know, it's the same production company as Pacific Rim. But Pacific Rim did everything right, right amount of melodrama in the acting and then some awesome monster fighting. Most of the time when I watch Godzilla films it's painful to sit through the human parts unless there's some weird chasing after Baby Godzilla or talking with aliens from Monster Zero.

No Caption Provided

I don't know it can't be that bad? They have Bryan Cranston on the cast.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#77  Edited By EpicSteve

Has it been confirmed where this is taking place?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Has it been confirmed where this is taking place?

It has been confirmed that at least a decent portion of it occurs in Japan. Leaked pictures from the set have shown multiple different Japanese locations, and Bryan Cranston's character is suggested to be in Japan. So, while I don't believe we can rule out scenes outside of Japan, all current indications are that Japan is where it occurs.

I could give you more reason to believe this, but they veer into possible spoiler territory.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#80  Edited By jakob187

@kittyvondoom: I didn't even know they did a vinyl for the whole album! That sounds so damn good, and I agree: "A320" is still an amazing song. Their "Colour and the Shape" sessions were amazing.

Personally, I always liked the Silverchair song (as I thoroughly loved them until Young Modern), and that Ben Folds song is super good. "No Shelter" is still the shining gem on there. For some reason, RATM wrote their best shit on soundtracks (also see "Darkness" from The Crow soundtrack).

I can confirm that "No Shelter" sounds amazing on vinyl.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By bluefish

I'm a big fan of 'Monsters' and recently was one of many people who enjoyed the shit out of Pacific Rim so I am beyond down with this.

I love the serious tone and if, IF they can make it feel like it's (even just a little) actually about something...

OH MAN

edit @tyrrael

You clearly haven't seen 'Monsters' It's maybe not the best movie ever, but he handles the concept with an ease, interest and maturity that is really involving and refreshing. I'm happy to have faith until Godzilla is out and I can see it for myself.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#82  Edited By McShank

James Bond movies have Held up over time. So Shall the Godzilla movies, even though the one in New york was pretty terrible, I will look the other way as long as this one is.. as good as the Godzilla roar in the trailer. Man I love godzilla, Ima watch one now.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got really excited b/c I thought it was Gareth Evans (The Raid: Redemption director) but then I was equally excited when I saw this guy did Monsters. Also, this might be a weird metric, but I was really interested in the fact that there are bodies around the wreckage. Most monster movies tend to stay away from showing anything but destroyed buildings/vehicles, loss of life is implied, but rarely shown.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not a bad trailer I must admit. I'm at least a little intrigued about a new Godzilla movie now.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By agentboolen

@jakob187: This looks awsome!!! IMO there are 2 types of Godzilla movies,

A - For kids, Godzilla fights another monster in a WWE/F wrestling match and we all laugh and have fun while card board cities are destroyed.

B - For Adults, like the original movie that was intended to scare audiences.

This looks more alongs the lines as B. For me I haven't seen something like this since that so so movies Cloverfield. I'm hoping this delivers better then that did.

And lets not even discuss that suck fest 1998 atrocity.... Who the hell thinks of Godzilla as a giant Lizard!! He's obviously more of a dinosaur / T-Rex creature Mr Roland Emmerich!!!

@dethfish: There was kind of a sequel to 2000's movie it was called Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, then followed by Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, and finally Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. All directed by the same guy but not the same as Godzilla 2000, but still line up with the Millennium series. Enjoyable films if you haven't seen them.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By GaspoweR

@theht said:

Hah! 2001 music.

I dunno, that looked alright. But will there be a great song with it?

Loading Video...

"Uh huh...Yee."

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow... the only thing missing from that trailer is

Loading Video...