Going back to Pokemon...

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 33

Edited By KillerFly

I was a kid in the late 90s, and like any self-respecting kid-geek in the late 90s, I was way into Pokemon.
 I bought the games, I watched the anime, I collected the cards (and pretended I knew how to play the card game), the whole nine yards.  For a while, it was all my friends and I could ever talk or think about.  When I think about a moment in my childhood when I was really happy, I think about (along with other, more important things) how excited I was when my mom's boyfriend got me that Charizard card, and how jealous my friends were.  Pokemon used to be a big part of my life.

Hey, I remember you!
Hey, I remember you!

But then, around 6th grade, I stopped caring about the series. Why? Probably for a lot of reasons. My friends weren't into it so much anymore, the anime seemed more and more lame the older I got, and I just got tired of the whole "Japan has 5000 new Pokemon that you're not gonna see for years!" thing.  So that was it. No more Pokemon.  I used to be able to name all of the original 151, no I care barely remember a few, let alone the hundreds of new ones they've added over the years.

Fast foward to 2009. After almost a full year of slowly going through it, I finally beat Lost Odyssey.  It had it problems, and it wasn't ground-breaking by any means, but it's probably the first traditional turn-based JRPG I've beaten since, well.... Pokemon.  And it reminded me how much I like the genre.  At this point, it's a relic that hasn't evolved in ages, but that's just something about it that hooks you (maybe I'm still suffering from "anything's better if it's made in Japan" syndrome, who knows).

After that, I needed more RPGs.  I bought Chrono Trigger on DS, and have been enjoying it a lot.  I tried playing Persona 4, but I couldn't really get into it.  Then there is stuff like Star Ocean 4 and Last Remnant I might like, but that's a whole other story.
No Caption Provided

That's when I saw the commercial: Pokemon Platinum.  Holy crap.  I haven't played these games in forever, and just when I'm feeling in the mood, a new one is just about a month away.  I really wonder, can this series hook me again? Can 19-year-old me see what 8-year-old me likes so much about this series?  Will I be able to wrap my head around all these new fangled Pokemon?  Will playing it make me feel like some pathetic manchild? I can't wait to find out!
KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By KillerFly

I was a kid in the late 90s, and like any self-respecting kid-geek in the late 90s, I was way into Pokemon.
 I bought the games, I watched the anime, I collected the cards (and pretended I knew how to play the card game), the whole nine yards.  For a while, it was all my friends and I could ever talk or think about.  When I think about a moment in my childhood when I was really happy, I think about (along with other, more important things) how excited I was when my mom's boyfriend got me that Charizard card, and how jealous my friends were.  Pokemon used to be a big part of my life.

Hey, I remember you!
Hey, I remember you!

But then, around 6th grade, I stopped caring about the series. Why? Probably for a lot of reasons. My friends weren't into it so much anymore, the anime seemed more and more lame the older I got, and I just got tired of the whole "Japan has 5000 new Pokemon that you're not gonna see for years!" thing.  So that was it. No more Pokemon.  I used to be able to name all of the original 151, no I care barely remember a few, let alone the hundreds of new ones they've added over the years.

Fast foward to 2009. After almost a full year of slowly going through it, I finally beat Lost Odyssey.  It had it problems, and it wasn't ground-breaking by any means, but it's probably the first traditional turn-based JRPG I've beaten since, well.... Pokemon.  And it reminded me how much I like the genre.  At this point, it's a relic that hasn't evolved in ages, but that's just something about it that hooks you (maybe I'm still suffering from "anything's better if it's made in Japan" syndrome, who knows).

After that, I needed more RPGs.  I bought Chrono Trigger on DS, and have been enjoying it a lot.  I tried playing Persona 4, but I couldn't really get into it.  Then there is stuff like Star Ocean 4 and Last Remnant I might like, but that's a whole other story.
No Caption Provided

That's when I saw the commercial: Pokemon Platinum.  Holy crap.  I haven't played these games in forever, and just when I'm feeling in the mood, a new one is just about a month away.  I really wonder, can this series hook me again? Can 19-year-old me see what 8-year-old me likes so much about this series?  Will I be able to wrap my head around all these new fangled Pokemon?  Will playing it make me feel like some pathetic manchild? I can't wait to find out!
bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bekern

I was feeling the same as you when Diamond/Pearl came out. I used to love Pokemon so much when I was little, but going back to it was pretty disappointing TBH. It bummed me out that I couldn't get as into it as I could when I first play Red.

I think the best way to make it fun for you (since you're older now) is to check out serebii.net and really focus on learning how to make the best team possible and getting the most depth out of it as you can. Search around on geting the best moves for each Pokemon and getting a good variety in your team. Act like you are going to play in a professional game tournament or something because just playing through the main game seems kind of shallow/easy otherwise (at least to me). But who knows, maybe the nostalgia will be enough for you unlike me :P.

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KillerFly

You know, I was never really into JRPGs for the challenge, so maybe an easy game is just what I need.

I ever has a friend who, to this day, buys every Pokemon game that comes out.  We could battle each other like a couple of 10-year-old dorks!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

I still like to play Pokemon and I'm 18.  The Pokemon Version games are very fun, deep, and addicting games.  If I were you, I would just wait for Platinum to come out rather then getting Diamond/Pearl right now.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By RichardLOlson
Oh boy...pokemon, well you all know what I got to say about that.......

WOW!!!!  POKEMON, CREATURES I CAN SHOVE IN MY ASS AND LET THEM SHOOT MAGICAL POWERS OUT MY DICKHOLE!!!
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By azteris
RichardLOlson said:
"Oh boy...pokemon, well you all know what I got to say about that.......

WOW!!!!  POKEMON, CREATURES I CAN SHOVE IN MY ASS AND LET THEM SHOOT MAGICAL POWERS OUT MY DICKHOLE!!!
"
...are you seven?
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Pokemon is still decent for what it is, but they really haven't done anything really groundbreaking since the Gold/Silver/Crystal Era except add contests (which I hate) and online stuff (Trade a LVL 100 Lugia for a level 5 Chimchar, because that kind of crap seems to be 90% of the trades posted there). But still good, even though it's pretty much the same game from generation to generation.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MKHavoc

If you haven't played since the sixth grade then I think they've added enough with each new game for it to feel somewhat new.  I haven't been able to finish Pearl yet and just hearing about this new game makes me wanna go back and pick it up, and yes I think I'll end up buying platinum.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

IT makes me feel really nostalgic too.

And it still is fun.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jayge_
Azteris said:
"RichardLOlson said:
"Oh boy...pokemon, well you all know what I got to say about that.......

"
...are you seven?
"
No, he's like in his 20s. And he's already impregnated someone, so we can't kill him and better the gene pool :-(

Pokemon games are still fun, still awesome, still portable. I hope you enjoy Platinum.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Vinchenzo

The reason Pokemon died for me is because of the new ones. Not the games specifically, but the creatures themselves. I liked the original 151 (right number?), and then they added more and more and more. Then the formula really destroyed the fun for me unfortunately. No new Pokemon game experience can be compared to me going up and down that one island to glitch 99 rare candies. NONE.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I haven't played Pokemon since, I don't know, I think FireRed. I sold my DS about 3 years ago, but now I kind of wish I had one again... 

Pokemon video games are fun, addictive, and... there's something about them which brings out the kid in you. I remember being 11 years old, and playing the Blue version... me and my friends would bring our Gameboys to school and battle. We usually made bets with our best pokemon... tears were shed and fights broke out... but it was all fun. It was like an emotional rollercoaster. And even though my grades dropped by one letter grade, I made more friends and was overall happier. Pokemon brings people together... seriously.

Since that new DSi is coming out, along with a new Pokemon game, I've been thinking of buying them both. But, I don't know if I'll ever have as much fun as I did back then, since I don't have a circle of friends who would play Pokemon. Because let's be honest, it's not the coolest thing to brag about anymore.

The new Pokemon games have an online feature, which is cool, but it's nowhere near as awesome as pwning your real-life friends.

So I think I'll pass.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

I'm 18 and wanted to get back into pokemon too. I bought both Diamond and Pearl, to fuel my obsession to ''catch em' all." I never got past two badges. I don't know why, but it just seems really boring now. Maybe it's just me. Or maybe it's just becasue I haven't watched the anime in 10 years and dont want to cuddle with the pokemon anymore.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I got back into Pokemon with Diamond and was quickly disturbed how complicated it got since Red/Blue.  In Red you would catch a Pokemon and that use said Pokemon to get and kick some ass.  In Diamond you go out and catch a Pokemon but instead of just going out and kicking ass right away you need to make sure its the right gender, the mood is currect and if it is shiny or not.  Also breeding shows up somewhere along the lines which just complicates shit even more.

For some the complication is loved but for me when I think Pokemon I think of a simple little game that is more or less just glorified cock fighting, not something I need to create charts for to make sure my Pokemon is maximized.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
ImpendingFoil said:
"I got back into Pokemon with Diamond and was quickly disturbed how complicated it got since Red/Blue.  In Red you would catch a Pokemon and that use said Pokemon to get and kick some ass.  In Diamond you go out and catch a Pokemon but instead of just going out and kicking ass right away you need to make sure its the right gender, the mood is currect and if it is shiny or not.  Also breeding shows up somewhere along the lines which just complicates shit even more.

For some the complication is loved but for me when I think Pokemon I think of a simple little game that is more or less just glorified cock fighting, not something I need to create charts for to make sure my Pokemon is maximized.
"
You can still just get a pokemon and kick some ass.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm pretty sure you will still enjoy it, just not as much as you used to. Pokemon failed the moment they started making a bunch of random Pokemon. In my opinion 151 was enough. Now there up to like 60 million or something... I dunno...

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MKHavoc
ImpendingFoil said:
"I got back into Pokemon with Diamond and was quickly disturbed how complicated it got since Red/Blue.  In Red you would catch a Pokemon and that use said Pokemon to get and kick some ass.  In Diamond you go out and catch a Pokemon but instead of just going out and kicking ass right away you need to make sure its the right gender, the mood is currect and if it is shiny or not.  Also breeding shows up somewhere along the lines which just complicates shit even more.

"
You can play through the game while ignoring all that stuff.  They never force you to breed new pokemon or any of that stuff.  You can go deep into that if you want to, but you're not missing anything if you decide to avoid it all together.
Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Foil_Charizard

Try out the FireRed game for GBA, I played that two years ago after taking a hiatus from pokemon just like you. Playing the FireRed remake brought back some amazing memories.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mattbodega

It's okay to love Pokemon again. You CAN go back.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

ArbitraryWater said:
"Pokemon is still decent for what it is, but they really haven't done anything really groundbreaking since the Gold/Silver/Crystal Era except add contests (which I hate) and online stuff (Trade a LVL 100 Lugia for a level 5 Chimchar, because that kind of crap seems to be 90% of the trades posted there). But still good, even though it's pretty much the same game from generation to generation.
"
That's what I think.
My main compliant about Pokemon Pearl is that a lot of new Pokemon are barely different than the early versions. Like how every game has a common rodent like Pokemon such as Rattata and Bidoof or the pigeon like one's Pidgey and Starly. I understand that It's an attempt to keep the game feeling fresh but if you can't come up with 150 unique Pokemon every game then maybe you need to only need to add 100 new Pokemon every game or no new ones at all.
It's one of those games that I can only see myself playing every other generation.
Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Qorious

*sigh* Those were the days... I remember when I kept singing to those opening theme songs. They were so catchy.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Collecting every single Pokemon is fucking insane! First you have to have multiple versions of the game. Next the only way to get the super secret Pokemons is by going to some special Pokemon event  where they have a booth where you download the special Pokemon to your DS; the with that is most of those events is in Japan.I was like fuck that! I quit.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By bwooduhs

I like to boast about currently owning 473 types of pokemon in diamond.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Optiow

I can relate to this a lot, I went off pokemon for a while, but then one day i found my old gameboy, and I played pokemon, it was brilliant. So if I can do it you can do it, get back to pokemon!
I always liked to say that I had 235 hours and also 124 pokemon in blue (I had about 500 but I had 124 difrent types of pokemon).

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KillerFly
LiquidPrince said:
"I'm pretty sure you will still enjoy it, just not as much as you used to. Pokemon failed the moment they started making a bunch of random Pokemon. In my opinion 151 was enough. Now there up to like 60 million or something... I dunno...
"
True, I would like to just go back to the original 151 (without just going back to the old games). But the flaming chimp has my interest...
Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shadow2K6

The original 151 was the best.  I remember playing Pokemon Blue back when I was in fifth grade, good times.  Ever new pokemon game now is in general the same.  They just make a new pokemon list, change the villian (which is generally the same, just with a new name Team "insert something here").  I actually rented Leaf Green recently from GameFly though, so I can go Blastoise in Pearl =P. 

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By insanegamer

i was a big fan of the pokemon game when i was younger just loved them, they were great.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By Geno

Pokemon Platinum? When are they going to run out of gems and precious metals?

I'm actually really surprised they haven't gone all out and made a Pokemon MMO yet. Persistent Pokemon in a massive world to explore where you can Pokebattle other players? Hell yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda found it fun to "go back" to the series. Yes, there's a crazy amount of Pokemon now and sure, they may not all be cool - but in a way it makes the experience like it was back with the original - all new things you haven't discovered yet.

TaintedSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TaintedSun

Couple things. First, for a moment there, just a moment, you brought me back to "the days". You know, the days when Pokemon was cool and kids played on the school bus, and everyone was like fuck the cool kids cause everyone was a nerd, and everyone linked up at lunch and battled.

Oh man. I could shed a tear.

Second, glad to see you playing Chrono Trigger, even if it isn't the classic build on the classic system. It's the perfect game. I hope you enjoy it. As for the other games you mentioned, eh, they are all sub-par. There is no real way to get back to good turn-based RPGs today. I've sort of left it behind, as has apparently the developers. Lost Odd. looked alright. I own it, I played it, I wasn't hooked. Maybe I'm jaded now and I expect more from my games, but whatever.

Anyways, I had a similar feeling when I saw the Pokemon ad. I'm sure though, like I did years ago with some random iteration of Pokemon, you'll go out, buy it, and not feel the same connection as you did back in the 90s. Why? I don't know, it's just changed I guess. When I was a kid at least, I remember the Pokemon's being bad ass. I never watched the show, but judging from the images on the cards and the graphics in the game, Pokemons were rough and tough pwning machines! They kicked ass, period. Once I found out that they were supposed to be cute and cuddly and soft and fluffy, I was turned off. Again, maybe I'm jaded.

It was years ago when I bought that iteration of Pokemon and looking back, it was a waste of my time. Maybe it’s like trying to play new turn-based RPGs. They just don’t match up to Chrono Trigger because that was my youth. You just can’t beat the feeling of playing games as a child.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Alex_V

I still play Pokemon games and I'm 35 - let's not be ageist about it. I do think the games are all too similar, so you will never enjoy the second one you play as much as the first. But they are essentially solid games, and deserve to be seen as more than just childish schoolkid fodder.