• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4961 posts) 8 months, 14 days ago

Poll: GotG Quarterfinals: Mass Effect 2 vs. Fallout 3 (1066 votes)

Mass Effect 2 71%
Fallout 3 29%

Main thread

Full bracket

Can Mass Effect 2 score another big win or is Fallout 3 too big to overcome?

Mass Effect 2 (2010)

Fallout 3 (2008)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST.

#51 Edited by HatKing (5848 posts) -

Man, actually can't vote here. I really don't care either way. I think my feelings are the same for both games. Kind of love them, but I understand they're both flawed in really significant ways (oddly enough, both wrap up really poorly).

#52 Edited by Coafi (1481 posts) -

Mass Effect 2.

This is my favorite song on the Citadel.

#53 Posted by Demoskinos (14596 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 is going to win this whole damn thing and that is depressing as fuck because its a worse version of the first game.

#54 Edited by Trilogy (2645 posts) -

@jakob187 said:
...(I remember @jeff being particularly fucking livid about one of the ending scenarios and needed to talk about it to someone, so he e-mailed me of all people and started expounding how fucked shit was). ...

#55 Posted by Slag (4093 posts) -

ME2 is going to roll the whole tourney isn't it?

#56 Posted by ThunderSlash (1576 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I'm not going to sit here and go over my overall beef with Mass Effect 2. I'm just going to say that I think the game is bullshit top to bottom.

Fallout 3, for me, was a massive surprise. I spit vile venom at that game from the minute it was announced. At every turn, as a diehard Fallout fan, I felt like I was being betrayed for an Elder Scrolls ripoff. However, I'm glad that some odd thought popped into my head on launch night to go buy that fucker. It was a great game. Mind you, there were some elements that were divisive for people (I remember @jeff being particularly fucking livid about one of the ending scenarios and needed to talk about it to someone, so he e-mailed me of all people and started expounding how fucked shit was). In the long run, the futuristic aesthetic is something that I find visually pleasing, the storylines were pretty damn cool, and Oasis was easily one of the best quests EVER in a video game. Poor ol' Harold.

You need to find that email and post it here.

#57 Posted by axlvandamme (92 posts) -

Fallout 3 only because I have a hard on for anything post-apocalyptic.

#58 Posted by Demoskinos (14596 posts) -

@slag said:

ME2 is going to roll the whole tourney isn't it?

ME2 = The Reapers we're fucked.

#59 Posted by Doctorchimp (4071 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 is so good, it makes Mass Effect 3 one of the most disappointing games I've ever played.

#60 Posted by tourgen (4432 posts) -

well I didn't expect it to wreck Fallout 3 this bad. Both are in my top 5 console games of the generation so that works for me.

#61 Edited by Vuud (1943 posts) -

Hard to say. They're both a poor RPG and mediocre shooter mashed together in a big hot mess... I guess Fallout 3 for the mods.

#62 Posted by Reisz (1462 posts) -

Thank God. Fallout 3 is good, but it's not Mass Effect 2 good.

#63 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

Mass Effect 2. I loved me some Fallout 3, but it can't top the time I spent being hyped and and finally playing ME2..

#64 Posted by BattleMcStruggle (10 posts) -

Both are in my personal top 5 so its a choice i can´t make. But it seems like Mass Effect will make it. Seems legit, the next vote goes to Fallout 4 then.

#65 Posted by LackingSaint (1776 posts) -

Fallout 3 is going to be a huge nostalgia thing for me in the coming years. When it first came out, I must have played it for hundreds upon hundreds of hours, and this is somebody who had NEVER played an FPSRPG before.

But with all that said, Mass Effect 2 takes this. It's just wonderful.

#66 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

This is just about the only instance where I vote for Fallout 3.

Man, Mass Effect really is going to win this entire thing...

#67 Posted by Gatehouse (583 posts) -

There’s no stopping the Normandy right now! Rightly so in my opinion, Mass Effect 2 is superb from beginning to end. I’m even the weirdo who found the resource hunting with probes to be quite therapeutic.

#68 Posted by FesteringNeon (2160 posts) -

I didn't get why ME2 was so revered. While it was a good game, it bored me and don't remember if I even finished it. ME1 for me was the better game, and I had a blast playing it.

Fallout 3 was fucking amazing at the time, and kept me coming back time and time again.

Because the poll isn't between ME1 and Fallout3, this makes my decision much easier. Fallout 3 by a V.A.T. exploding headshot.

#69 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I fucking love both of these games. I have to choose Mass Effect, though.

#70 Posted by danm_999 (74 posts) -

Fallout 3 wasn't even my favourite Fallout game this generation, so this match up is pretty easy to decide for me.

#71 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Rot in hell Fallout 3.

#72 Edited by madman356647 (208 posts) -

I didn't get why ME2 was so revered. While it was a good game, it bored me and don't remember if I even finished it. ME1 for me was the better game, and I had a blast playing it.

Fallout 3 was fucking amazing at the time, and kept me coming back time and time again.

Because the poll isn't between ME1 and Fallout3, this makes my decision much easier. Fallout 3 by a V.A.T. exploding headshot.

Oddly enough, I liked ME2 more, and tried to do everything I could in it. ME1 just felt clunky mechanics wise, and the inventory system was not fun to deal with.

#73 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

@festeringneon said:

Oddly enough, I liked ME2 more, and tried to do everything I could in it. ME1 just felt clunky mechanics wise, and the inventory system was not fun to deal with.

I'm on the fence between ME1 and ME2. ME1 had a more interesting story, more interesting locations and setting the backdrop but it had some really shit combat and gameplay mechanics. ME2 pretty much fixes all of that, but with a slight hit to the story and discovery. I think objectively speaking however, ME2 is a much, much better game than 1 even if I personally enjoyed ME1 a little bit more.

#74 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (248 posts) -

I love both games, but got a lot more out of playing Fallout 3. Oh well, it had a pretty good run.

#75 Posted by Killerfridge (301 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 is the best game in the series because you essentially become James Bond. And if we're including DLC,Lair of the Shadow Broker was so good.

#76 Edited by yoshisaur (2668 posts) -

As much as I enjoyed Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2 nailed what a great game was to me.

#77 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2481 posts) -

I really love Fallout 3 but I have to give it to ME2 because I think it is a more solid game from start to finish. I don't remember many experiences in ME2 where I felt bored and aimless or like the game's poor mechanics were a detriment, but I did spend a lot of time in the wasteland vats'ing my way through loads of bandits, getting stuck in the geometry, and getting murdered when Death Claws randomly smoke up behind you.

I love you Fallout, but you're broken.

#78 Posted by Jothel (914 posts) -

Oh maaaaaaaan this is hard, I played ME2 for a much shorter amount of time but it was a great time but so was Fallout 3. Gah.

#79 Posted by thefeta (40 posts) -

Fallout 3 how did you even get this far? Ugly ass game with horrible gameplay. Mass Effect 2 is one of my favourite games ever. Easy vote.

#80 Edited by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

If Mass Effect 2 wins this whole thing I will cry and a little part of me inside may die.

#81 Posted by UlquioKani (1032 posts) -

Hell yeah Mass Effect! I still think it's going to end up losing to Dark Souls though but it has had a really good run. ME2 is my personal favourite of the generation.

#82 Posted by Erik (386 posts) -

There’s no stopping the Normandy right now! Rightly so in my opinion, Mass Effect 2 is superb from beginning to end. I’m even the weirdo who found the resource hunting with probes to be quite therapeutic.

Me too, depleted every planet in the galaxy... :P

#83 Posted by Sjosz (485 posts) -

@guesty_01: You must lead a pretty balanced life.

#84 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4585 posts) -

Look at the illusive man there and tell me you will not be voting Mass Effect 2.

#85 Edited by mrfluke (5103 posts) -

has to be mass effect 2, that singular raw experience of gathering your guys building a relationship with your crew, and going to fight the greater evil and then flying out of that collector base with everyone alive is one of the best moments in entertainment history.

its all the more reason and testament to this game why mass effect 3 was a letdown and the enormous backlash 3 had.

#86 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Love both games but Fallout 3 for me. Shame it's losing so badly. Thought it would be closer.

#87 Edited by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

If it were Mass Effect 3, I might lean that direction. My vote's with Fallout 3, and I'm okay with Mass Effect in general going forward.

#88 Edited by HistoryInRust (6279 posts) -

@little_socrates: I'm really curious about your position. You might be the first person I've ever heard express that. I'd love to hear more.

#89 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 for me. If it was Fallout-New Vegas then it might have been a tougher choice. Still don't know if I prefer mass effect or mass effect 2 more though...

#90 Edited by VaddixBell (233 posts) -

I love both but Mass Effect 2 takes this.

#91 Edited by Abendlaender (2768 posts) -

I will never understand why people love Mass Effect 2 that much. Never. And that's okay.

I thought ME2 was a good game, with great sidequests, a lackluster main quest, an okay shooting system and some pretty okay characters, but nothing more. But hey, who cares, the people have spoken :P

#92 Posted by Belegorm (365 posts) -

Pretty disappointed that Fallout 3 isn't winning, that game had some of my best experiences by far this gen, and I just can't seem to stand Mass Effect.

#93 Posted by ThePickle (4155 posts) -

You motherfuckers really gonna bounce Fallout 3 like that. You are all evil. Or at least 71% of you are evil.

I know the feeling Tom.

#94 Posted by Phished0ne (2487 posts) -

This is pretty much how i feel about where this.

#95 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

It's neat that the ME3 clusterfuck doesn't seem to have tarnished the reputation of ME2.

#96 Posted by DarthOrange (3852 posts) -

Fallout :(

#97 Posted by mracoon (4961 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 steamrolls another opponent with 71% of the vote and 1053 votes cast.