GotG Round 1: Red Dead Redemption vs. Team Fortress 2

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: Red Dead Redemption vs. Team Fortress 2 (771 votes)

Red Dead Redemption 69%
Team Fortress 2 32%

Main thread

Full bracket

Now another one of my personal favourites is probably going to be knocked out in the first round. Thanks, duders.

Red Dead Redemption (2010)

What the community has to say:

Rockstar has done stellar work at creating both a believable world and an excellent story. Their skill with the open-world genre shines through again, as well as the awesome soundtrack. Some odd bugs and freezes/crashes have occurred, and hopefully will be fixed at a later date. Aside from occasional performance issues, Red Dead Redemption is absolutely one of the best games I’ve played in recent years.

From user review by @wallacethegreat

Team Fortress 2 (2007)

What the community has to say:

I'm going to finish up by reiterating that Team Fortress 2 is an incredible experience. The game strikes the perfect balance in not being too intimidating to newcomers, but rewarding handsomely those who choose to sink hours and hours into the game.

From user review by @floorswine

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Sunday

• 
Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I still play tf2, never played rdr despite buying it years ago (need to fix that), tf2 all the way.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Karkarov

Non question, one is a fun and goofy but still basically a remake of Counter Strike. The other is the best open world game ever made with one of the very few stories good enough to actually make an argument for video games as a serious medium / art. I also happen to think it is the one that should win the enter poll.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red dead no question here because I do not like games like Team fortress^^

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Juzie

@karkarov said:

Non question, one is a fun and goofy but still basically a remake of Counter Strike. The other is the best open world game ever made with one of the very few stories good enough to actually make an argument for video games as a serious medium / art. I also happen to think it is the one that should win the enter poll.

TF2 is nothing at all like CS. RDR felt much more like a remake of GTA if anything. I respect your opinion that you like RDR more but that is not a fair assessment.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Red Dead was one of my top games of this generation long before this poll was created so it gets my vote.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@karkarov said:

One of the worst open world games I've ever played. After putting 8 hours into it I was wondering when the game was going to start getting good. Nothing fun to do in the world, all busy work. Very slow paced, dreadfully dull dialogue. I kind of don't care if the last couple of hours are good. The first 8 were terrible. Obviously not my type of game though. But that's the fun thing about opinions. What's one of the best games for you, is one of the most boring one's for me. So it's not a non question.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Aside from getting more enjoyment out of TF2, I actually feel like it's a more important game than RDR as well. I get why people think RDR is great, but TF2 was basically Valve's guinea pig.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail

Team Fortress 2 is an incredible, uniquely durable experience, not having wavered in community excitement for what, six years now?

That's to mention nothing on the impact it had on the whole industry. Team Fortress 2 popularized the F2P model by implementing a highly successful iteration of it, which still stands high and above any other that I can think of right now.

Team Fortress 2 is an important game.

• It was part of the Orange Box, so it helped launch Steam to the popularity it has today.
  • It debuted a F2P model that paved the way for a new phenomenon in PC gaming, which would inevitably spread to consoles.
  • It evolved and changed (for better or worse), and has been able to last more than any other online shooter in recent years.
  • Hats.

Red Dead is another good game.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Clonedzero

Why are you comparing the two? Seems like an odd pair off.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead Redemption for me. I never really got into TF2.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

said:
  • It was part of the Orange Box, so it helped launch Steam to the popularity it has today.
  • It debuted a F2P model that paved the way for a new phenomenon in PC gaming, which would inevitably spread to consoles.
  • It evolved and changed (for better or worse), and has been able to last more than any other online shooter in recent years.
  • Hats.

F2P model? You are kidding right? That was being done just as well in a massive number of games before this one came along. It did not "start the F2P" trend, nor did it's existence have any effect on it whatsoever. Mobage probably thinks it perfected it a lot better too considering their psychotic profit levels, not to mention Candy Crush. As for orange box, the community decided to count Orange Box as separate games so it has nothing to do with anything (not that it isn't massively over rated), the hats are stupid and I am tired of seeing them being offered as an "incentive" by steam, and every game that lasts 6 years evolves and changes. The reason it lasts is also because it isn't replaced every couple years, unlike CoD or BF.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Fuck anyone who votes RDR over TF2 game is goddamn amazing. RDR is good but man, I'll never get peoples overly sentimental attachment to it when it had a number of mechanical and narrative flaws.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a very strange comparison for sure.

But if i had to choose i would go with TF2 just because good mechanics is priority number one in my book. Red Dead is still using the same old, and let's be honest, out dated controls and mechanics that GTAIV did.

From the scouts double jumps to the spies cloak watch Team Fortress' mechanics are all very varied and well executed.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jimmyfenix

RDR

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@snail
said:
  • Hats.

• F2P model? You are kidding right? That was being done just as well in a massive number of games before this one came along. It did not "start the F2P" trend, nor did it's existence have any effect on it whatsoever.
  • As for orange box, the community decided to count Orange Box as separate games so it has nothing to do with anything (not that it isn't massively over rated),
  • the hats are stupid and I am tired of seeing them being offered as an "incentive" by steam,
  • and every game that lasts 6 years evolves and changes. The reason it lasts is also because it isn't replaced every couple years, unlike CoD or BF.
  • It popularized, defined a standard, and opened a whole category for F2P games on Steam. That increased the popularity of F2P models exponentially. I believe my point was that it popularized the trend, in a meaningful, possibly even crucial role. Unlike those other games you mentioned, it was a mainstream title, representing possibly the most popular genre out there, with a proven, standard economic model, and yet it chose to migrate to F2P, and did so successfully.
  • I don't care what the community considered for the bracket? I'm not saying that the Orange Box should be put up for votes here. I am saying that it played a crucial role in popularizing the de facto digital distribution platform today: Steam. It did. Maybe you were too young back then, or not paying attention, but it absolutely, totally did.
  • The hats part was a joke.
  • Don't be silly, even if no other CoD game had been released after 4, it would not have the same popularity today as it did on the year it was released. TF2 kept growing, with new maps, items updates, crafting, Mann vs. Machine, the whole meta-fiction, the annual events, etc., which have been crucial to keeping it thriving. It is an unparalleled, incredibly successful attempt at maintaining a community-driven online FPS game alive for years on end. Go play Unreal Tournament 3 right now if you don't believe me. That was the last UT game that was released.

Red Dead is just a good game.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

Don't make me choose!

For what it's worth, RDR left an absolute lasting impact on me and was one of my favorite games this generation. I go back to TF2 every so often to play because it's so damn fun though - since it was in beta.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Jams

Why compare a third person open world single player story based game to an online only first person arena shooter?

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best moment of the generation for me was entering Mexico. Easy choice.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Guesty_01

Red Dead, excellent meshing of gameplay, story and setting.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im sorry TF2, but you can't hold a candle to RDR.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like TF2 just fine, but come one: it's Red Dead with a bullet!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Don't know if these are the best games tom pit against each other, but when compared between the two RDR easily takes it for me.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think RDR is overrated and boring.

Whereas I have played TF2 for longer than I care to admit.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

TF2 is a fun multiplayer shooter, RDR melded gameplay and narrative in an open-world that no game has done since. It's a masterpiece of a game. Easily one of the top contenders of Game of the Generation. Would you really put TF2 on top of your list of Games of the Generation?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kindgineer

Red Dead Redemption for sure. Never quite understood why everyone loved TF2. Red Dead Redemption was just great.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played TF2 since the vanilla days (I think up to the first class update), but man was it fun.

But definitely Red Dead. That game was something else. So good.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TF2 was never as much fun as TFC. Red Dead Redemption's Mexico section dragged my enjoyment down a lot. By the third act I'd lost a lot of steam and put the game down for a few months. Thankfully I came back to it and got to see that fucking rad ending.

Speaking if which, that games got like 3 endings. Each time you think it's done it keeps going, it's great.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

@dudeglove: I liked the cow herding. Had to save them all! Oh yeah, RDR all the way.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

RDR has that entire Mexico section, which is extremely dull and kinda frustrating, plot-wise. I couldn't make myself finish it.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Welcome to the nonsense that is a bracket system. It may have worked years and years ago, but nowadays every game is a little of everything and a lot of nothing, and it makes almost any comparison a weird one. Arkham Asylum vs Hitman for example. Yeah, both feature stealth. Yeah, both have a combat system. Also, they are insanely different games.

Brackets kinda work if you want to know the one best game. Because no matter what, whatever most people regard as the best game will still be picked over whatever weird face off they are put in. But it still is a strange process and it doesn't work for anything more than the one best game. A top 10 that has been formed out of a bracket is incredibly inaccurate. If the game that most people think is the single best is pitched against the game that most people think is second best early on, then the second best game ever will not even crack the top 10.

I am a major buzzkill, but I don't like brackets. They make no sense.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RED DEAD FOR LIFE.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The best game of this generation better not lose to a game about hats, HATS, for crying out loud.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nekroskop

Best open world game in this gen versus what is basically a hat factory. Not a hard choice.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a good 3/4 years out of TF2 before they broke it, not for what it is now but for how it was back in the day, Team fortress 2 gets my vote. Met some good friends, became a server admin, played some comp. (didn't really like but was a good experience to have) all through this game, the heart of a community. You cant beat that with a single player game no matter how pretty or well written it is.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Sooty
@nekroskop said:

Best open world game in this gen versus what is basically a hat factory. Not a hard choice.

No. What is basically a superb first person shooter with incredible humour and charm.

I know what I'd rather play, nobody goes back to Red Dead Redemption. Good god that game got boring, typical Rockstar padding, but yes the ending was great.

@baillie said:

TF2 is a fun multiplayer shooter, RDR melded gameplay and narrative in an open-world that no game has done since. It's a masterpiece of a game. Easily one of the top contenders of Game of the Generation. Would you really put TF2 on top of your list of Games of the Generation?

Considering games of the generation is apparently not about influence (again, no fucking clue how morons are voting Mortal Kombat over SFIV) then I would put TF2 on the list, because it is such a blast to play. High up definitely.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This comparison makes no sense :/. I...I guess I'll go with Red Dead? But I think we need to start pairing games with others like it. Not just randomly pitting them against each other.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Another plus for Red Dead: I think Undead Nightmare was the best DLC this gen. It was a good bang for your buck, the theme was pulled off perfectly, and it was just a lot of fun to play through.

@sooty said:
@nekroskop said:

No. What is basically a superb first person shooter with incredible humour and charm.

I know what I'd rather play, nobody goes back to Red Dead Redemption. Good god that game got boring, typical Rockstar padding, but yes the ending was great.

@baillie said:

Considering games of the generation is apparently not about influence (again, no fucking clue how morons are voting Mortal Kombat over SFIV) then I would put TF2 on the list, because it is such a blast to play. High up definitely.

Yeah I haven't played through Red Dead 3 times.

But I am also a moron with no fucking clue who votes for MK because I like it better.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Phatmac

RDR. I don't like TF2.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well Red Dead might be the best game of this Gen. But if you had put Arkham Asylum against it I would have a hard time deciding. So with this I have made a decision. I take Bullock for sheriff.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Thoseposers

What is wrong with you people? TF2 is by far a much more important game and the only thing RDR has going for it was it felt good to control and play but the story sucked as did the characters.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This. Someone could say 'I don't like FPS's therefore Red Dead is the better game' or Jeff's dumb excuse, 'I don't like westerns' so Red Dead sucks. How can you take into account the quality of a game if you simply don't like the genre? Both games are trying to do entirely different things.

Maybe if it were TF2 vs Halo 3 or L4D. Not entirely the same games either but at least they'd be in the same ball park.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also even though I put in more hours in TF2, I think it's not the game that defines the entire generation. I've said this in the original thread, BUT I feel RDR is MY Game of the Generation for whatever reason. It's just the feeling I have in my gut.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Both of these games are top 20 of the generation for me. Team Fortress 2 is the first multiplayer shooter that I ever truly loved, and I put plenty of hours into it, but RDR is something special. They did a masterful job of developing an open world that was not only beautiful and authentic, but was also fun to explore and full of things to do. The story has its weak moments, but it's still excellent, with one of the best endings I've ever experienced.

Graham_Nix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Graham_Nix

TF2 is kind of a joke now, but back in it's day it was (and still is, on vanilla servers) one of the very best multiplayer shooters ever created. Incredible class/playstyle variety, unprecendented charm and style, and a fantastic competitive and casual community. It is a game like very few others.

I've refrained from voting as I haven't played RDR, but... I feel TF2 should have gotten more recognition, here.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By emfromthesea

Red Dead Redemption has remained one of my favourite games since I played it. I still have fun popping it in and just wandering around Mexico. Such a great atmosphere in that game.

TF2, while great fun with some friends, doesn't hold a candle to RDR in my book.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Juzie

@clonedzero said:

This. Someone could say 'I don't like FPS's therefore Red Dead is the better game' or Jeff's dumb excuse, 'I don't like westerns' so Red Dead sucks. How can you take into account the quality of a game if you simply don't like the genre? Both games are trying to do entirely different things.

Maybe if it were TF2 vs Halo 3 or L4D. Not entirely the same games either but at least they'd be in the same ball park.

Another huge difference is that one is multiplayer only where as the other is very very singleplayer focussed. Which have 2 entirely different audiences again.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But if the OP is wanting to do something like this, an elimination bracket type thing, where people can have some fun debating over the best games, eventually two very different games are going to come together.

So instead of taking things so seriously, just jump into the discussions with both feet and take this for exactly what it is; a little bit of fun. No more, no less.

Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never managed to make it through RDR. Something about the mechanics just always felt kind of terrible to me. I plan on making it through it one day though. I also don't like TF2 all that much either so I went with the one that seems to hold the most importance to this generation which would probably be RDR.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll have more to say about Red Dead as it gets deeper in the bracket but for now, I voted for it.