Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By spacetrucking

For me, the essentials in any Game of the Decade list are

• World of Warcraft 
  • Half-Life 2/The Orange Box (TF2 is a big part of it)
  • A Halo game
  • A Battlefield game
  • Resident Evil 4 
  • Grand Theft Auto 3
  • & a Bethasda/BioWare RPG 

So in a way, I agree and disagree with both of them. Both HL2 and WOW are deserving of the #1 spot though - they both changed their respective genres in significant ways. Hell, it can be argued that WOW had a significant impact even outside MMOs.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Red

Both are pretty terrible, but Gametrailer's countdowns are always filled with hyperbole, and a bland business side of things. 
In other words: IGN is slightly less garbage.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@Meowshi: Yeah, see, you guys talking around what is, basically, the fundamental problem with any "best of" game list.

That problem: the word "best". 

Best is such a stupidly broad, logically porous term. What does it mean? Can you describe it to me? Is it technical craftsmanship? Basic and lasting influence over the gaming medium? The way in which a game polishes and perfects the mechanics of its predecessor? Or, even more grave and catastrophic, is it simply a matter of personal preference and populist opinion?

In these lists, "best" is never clearly defined. And it really can't be. Because, to define it with any one of these parameters is to disintegrate the very notion that "best" exists as a concept at all. If I say, "by 'best' I mean 'the influence and importance of a game in the quickly evolving sphere of video gaming,'" then I'm really just saying that the list is a list organizing the ten most influential and important games of the past decade. 

And once the philosophy of "best" is more clearly chiseled away and filed down into something corporeal, then a new conundrum appears. How can one logically weigh the merits of one game's influence or technical craftsmanship against the merits of another game in the same categories, especially when the games being compared are often so radically different? Take Halo and Grand Theft Auto 3, two titans of revolution both released in 2001. What the two games did in their respective genres is staggering. You literally only see revolution of that magnitude once a decade, and it happened twice in the same year

Now, someone assembling a "best of" list has to reckon with the fact that, essentially, they are choosing arbitrarily between a game that redefined what it meant to be a first-person shooter on a console and a game that redefined the very ways gamespaces can be structured and presented. How the fuck can you apply any sound logic to that choice?
agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By agentboolen

Both are respectable list...  But I'm really glad Gametrailers didn't forget how incredible Resident Evil 4 was.  I really do feel like that game didn't get notice as much as some other games that year (God of War, Shadow of the   Colossus which are both great games) which was probably because it was exclusive to the Gamecube for a whole year!!!  But yea RE4 is still the one game I look at as my favorite for the last gen systems.

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By Spiral_Stars

Come on, KOTOR was good, but number 3 in the entire decade? Thats a bit much.

riffingt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By riffingt0n

This is a second post for me, but i just noticed neither list had a plastic guitar game. 

Really?

The genre's probably been beaten into the ground by now but it's probably caused more people to buy an extra game peripheral (or several) than any franchise in history.  Heck even "Fret Nice" (which may have made some misguided control decisions) exists as an answer to "what to do with all these plastic instruments".

Having said that, I'm not sure what games I'd drop, but I think it's next to WoW, HL2, GTA3, and Halo in terms of longevity and influence.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By turbomonkey138
@fowlowl26: ignore him  hes the troll of GB
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By TheHT

both of em are pretty bad.

though ign has more games i actually like, gametrailers' seems to have more ones that actually had a pretty substantial impact of the gaming industry both withing itself and it's position in the mainstream.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By neoepoch

Just putting it out there...Neither have Wind Waker. Therefore, they both fail. Gametrailers failed harder for putting Twilight Princess instead of Wind Waker. I don't care that it is based on popularity, it's WRONG. And besides no one asked me.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60  Edited By Seppli
@PeasantAbuse said:
" I like IGN's list better, but only because Battlefield 1942 is on there. "

Same here. Battlefield all the way!
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By artofwar420
@ricetopher:  Thank you sir.

If you combine them both, then we're getting somewhere.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Seppli
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" I can think of 3 games such a list must contain.   WoW GTA III Halo (probably in that order too) "

Absolutely.
fowlowl26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By fowlowl26
@nyuckelhead said:
"GT only because RE4 is on there :) "

ya!
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By penguindust
A little from column "A" and little from column "B"...Neither is entirely correct in my opinion and I can't even approve of all their choices, so as they stand, both get thumbs down.  But, as I said, if I could mix from both lists, I could come up with a better top-10 I believe.

If I had to choose it would be Gametrailers because Warcraft is too big a force in gaming to simply be ignored.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By crunchUK

I don't get either list. I mean, twilight princess? it's like OoT with crappy controls and minus the originality and greatness. World of warcraft?  number one?! just.... wat.  

Then on IGN there's um... fallout 3? There's a dozens of better/more influential/groundbreaking RPGs than that from this decade. Same with BF 1942. And uncharted 2? It's supposedly excellent but for reasons that have existed in hundreds of games before it. Who cares? 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DystopiaX
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @DystopiaX: Resident Evil 4 basically set the precedent for all modern-day third-person shooters. Between Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War, you have every Third-Person Shooter made since. "
I'm not saying I don't understand the impact of the game, I'm just saying I didn't like it personally. I understand why people like it, I understand why it's influential, RE4, and third person shooters in general, just don't excite me. I'll play Gears of War and third person shooters like Mass Effect, I just prefer FPSs.
K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By K0rN

What no Bioshock from either?
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see a "favorite games of the decade" list from each guy in the Giant Bomb crew, while we're on the subject.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By BoFooQ

the IGN list is better, but both seem alittle crazy.  I have a wii and played S.M.G. and son't see how another mario game is one of the best of the decade. 
what was giantbomb's list ?  I already forgot did they do one when they did game of the year ?
fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By fishmicmuffin

The thing about the IGN list is that they only ranked their top game from each year with all of the other top games from each year. That restricted their list somewhat. If Resident Evil 4 was on IGN's list I'd say it was one of the best.

ArrenDusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ArrenDusk

IGN's list wins. No Portal though?

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By Steve_C

GT automatically loses with Twilight Princess on the list.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#73  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I'd say I like the IGN list better simply because HL2 is their number-one game, which is where it belongs. GT has it on there but Halo is above it. Really....come on.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#74  Edited By Jeust
@FartyMcNarly said:
" They both suck because I can't click on them. "
Lazy! 

IGN
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#75  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Fragstoff said:

" Okami? really? ew "

That's what I was thinkin too.
It was good enough and it looked pretty awesome, but top 10 of the decade? No way.

They both have some that work for me and both have some that I can not believe are on there.  I'd probably have to pick GT's because once again Gamespot's list appears to be the standard "aren't we avant garde" content I expect from them.
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#76  Edited By Atlas

GameTrailers is a more considered list, but IGN wins for me because of Half-Life 2 at the top. HL2 is the only game on the GT list that I've beaten. Actually, the only other game on the IGN list I beat is Fallout 3. Still, I like Okami a whole lot.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By swamplord666

IGN minus SMG