Having some PC trouble.

NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By NeoGecko

Ok, so my computer is pretty good, it has 4 gigs of ram an nvidea 9800 geforce card and a decent processor but when I try and run games after about 15 minutes it crashes, ant tips?

NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NeoGecko

the games this is happining to specificly are Batman:AA, Dragon Age, and R6 Vegas 1

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Have you updated your drivers? Post your OS and bit-version as well. 

NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NeoGecko

yeah, the newest ones.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

might want to run a memory test to see if any of your modules are failing.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Castro

I'm not a HUGE PC guy, but what do you mean by crashes? It could be a lot of things. Does your computer work fine until you try running the games? I've found that usually my power supply is the cause. I don't know. I'm not a PC guy, but you should post all of your "specs" and I'm sure someone that knows something will be able to figure it out.

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By timay

When it crashes do you get a Blue Screen or does it just turn off?

NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NeoGecko

@PeasForFeas the fans are definetly running and i dont have liquid cooling or anything crazy like that. @Maraz how do I do that?

NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NeoGecko

OK to clarify: by crash I mean it knocks off all of my video but the computer is still running (i think). It loops sound for about a minute and says that my moneters are not connected

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz

There is a program called prime95, run the stress test for a few hours and if it fails it might be a bad memory stick or something is overheating.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Geno
@NeoGecko: That sounds like the drivers are failing. I get that on rare occasions (prevalent Nvidia glitch). Try uninstalling then re-installing drivers. Also make sure that you have the right bit version (download the new ones first, so you can install them right away after startup). 
NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NeoGecko

Thanks Ill try that!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Geno
@NeoGecko: Tell me how it goes. 
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By DCFGS3

mmm, definitely sound like a driver issue.

NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NeoGecko

@Geno: I will, but it could be a while

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cspiffo

bad memory or overheating or a bad gfx card/mobo. 

Try opening the case and blowing a large fan into it while you play.  If you can play your games then you know the problem is overheating.  If it's memory you would probably be getting a blue screen first before crashing.  I'd still run a memtest though.  A bad gfx card can definately cause this also.  I'm not really sure how you would home test it though unless you have a spare gfx card lying around.  The mobo could also have bad ports.  It doesn't sound like that's the problem though.
oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oDawg

The best thing you can do is monitor your temperatures, and check the drivers as other people said.

1.  Install "Speedfan"  a program that monitors those temps. Keep it running while you game, after 5-10 mins alt-tab out and take a look at those temperatures...  

2.  Also install "Realtemp" to monitor your CPU temps (possibly) more accurately.

Be warned that speedfan does not automatically know what the ideal temperature is. If your video card shows "80 degrees" and firey icon next to it, don't worry... just take note of the temps and then do a search for your particular video card and avg temps.

The crash after 15 minutes is a pretty good sign its overheating though...

3. So if that is the case, open it up and clean the dust out, then organize the cables better so air is moving nicely, then if that isn't working do some searches for "improving computer case air flow".

Cleaning it up should be enough, dont go wasting money on aftermarket fans unless you are sure you need them.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By subject2change

I'd say Rivatuner over speedfan, force your fans to run at like 80% all the time, if not 100.

Most likely it is an overheating issue, or a corrupt driver issue.

If it continues to happen after forcing fans at 80/100; i'd say uninstall video drivers, reboot, install previous drivers and reboot and try it again. You can also use a Driver Cleaner to remove all previous traces as well, then go back to an earlier generation of drivers.

You should also uninstall old drivers, reboot, install new drivers, reboot whenever you are updating drivers in the 1st place.