Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#51  Edited By musubi

@Milkman said:

@Demoskinos

Okay just got to the part where they are arguing about season passes. The one guy gets asked if he would buy a season pass for a Souls game after denouncing season passes in general and he says yes because he likes the developer. WELL DUH DUDE! I'm sure people feel that way about Forza too! So your argument against season passes is super stupid.

Yeah, I feel like that was the one opportunity that Ryan missed to really rip into him because it was just so dumb.

Yeah, its like either buy it or don't or buy the one argument you feel is worth it. The problem here isn't the content its this dumb notion that gamers get in their head that they have to have EVERYTHING or else they don't have a complete product.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#52  Edited By huntad

I will only watch this again if Ryan is on the show. He made my day.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Jrinswand

I don't really have time to watch this. I might check it out later. There's something that I have been wanting to know, though. Why do so many people like Tom McShea? I've seen this pop up elsewhere and I've personally never heard of the guy. I tried googling it a little bit and couldn't really come up with any definitive answers, other than that perhaps it's because Skyward Sword a 7.5. That can't possibly have been it, though, because it was universally acknowledged that that game didn't have the same sort of magic as previous entries in the Zelda franchise.

bibz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By bibz

This was awesome. Ryan delivered the same point of view and industry vision thats collated on the bombcast and dropped it onto a show that seems kinda lacking and pandering. It smells like arguments for arguments sake ala fox news stuff, and then they throw in user comments for extra hooks. It's a shining example of why I've never, even with the same people, liked gamespot but love giantbomb. I've often wondered why that was the case, but this was a great insite! I hope the new brass can see the difference between the two and keep them apart. Mcshea seemed a good sport and obviously enjoyed it, the other guy didnt like being called out on his bullshit and got all quiet after it. Clearly this shows the world needs more Ryan Davis. Also, Fuck Ryan Davis.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Skyrider

I watched part of it, but was more interested in the comments section. There was a good split between "That Ryan guy was awesome" and "all that swearing made me uncomfortable."

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Ares42

@Jrinswand said:

Why do so many people like Tom McShea?

There's a lot of people that like him ? From what I've heard (albeit not that much) it's quite opposite.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ghost_cat

Man, this was rough stuff. I would be surprised if Ryan was invited back for another verbal beatdown.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By RazielCuts

(my reaction 30 seconds in) 'Oh no...OH..NO'

The cringe meter, it is rising already. Tom McShea as a frontman, who ever thought that was a good idea? He's too giggling awkward/shy. Also Ryan in there straight away taking command, he is too strong for your weak personalities.

Avatar image for thebeastwithtwobacks
thebeastwithtwobacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Skyrider said:

I watched part of it, but was more interested in the comments section. There was a good split between "That Ryan guy was awesome" and "all that swearing made me uncomfortable."

I did the same thing. funny to see people getting excited because there was something that wasn't mind numbingly boring on gamespot

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By daiphyer

@Ares42 said:

@Jrinswand said:

There's a lot of people that like him ? From what I've heard (albeit not that much) it's quite opposite.

No one likes Tom McShea.

If they said they like Tom McShea, they lied.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@RazielCuts said:

The cringe meter, it is rising already. Tom McShea as a frontman, who ever thought that was a good idea? He's too giggling awkward/shy. Also Ryan in there straight away taking command, he is too strong for your weak personalities.

Yep, that's probably why Ryan was the go-to host for Whiskey and is for GB. Dude is mad charismatic, and just takes control of situations really well without turning into the weird awkward journalist type. Like this McShea guy, who just kind of sucks.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By mpgeist

Fuck Ryan Davis...is awesome in this video.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#63  Edited By Julmust

That thing just made me want Ryan to be more involved in the podcast discussion. Dude's pretty on top of shit.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By daiphyer

I just wanted to add, the only way this video would've been better is if Brown and McShea were wearing Fuck Ryan Davis shirts.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By CaLe

Some responses in this thread confirms the 'random internet people are assholes' theory. You can't do anything without people just shitting all over you for even just being who you are. Keep on keepin' on, assholes.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Maajin

@Daiphyer said:

@Ares42 said:

@Jrinswand said:

No one likes Tom McShea.

I truly like Tom McShea, and I'm not lying. His opinions often don't reflect mine, but he's always entertaining to watch/listen to. In fact, the only person on Gamespot I enjoy more than him is Kevin Van Ord.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#67  Edited By TheHT

I watched it last night. It's mostly great! The SteamBox discussion was annoying.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Mister_V

Watched this over the weekend and man Ryan was on fire. I really hope he is right about the steambox stuff. But yeah. a great video.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Snail

Watching Ryan shit on silly opinions is pretty enjoyable.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TheHumanDove

@CaLe said:

Some responses in this thread confirms the 'random internet people are assholes' theory. You can't do anything without people just shitting all over you for even just being who you are. Keep on keepin' on, assholes.

People in real life are assholes. DEAL WITH IT

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By beepmachine

This is a great reminder of why I find pretty much every other game site fucking boring. I can't imagine listening to these two on their own. Dude with the glasses keeps fucking interrupting everyone CONSTANTLY. I feel like you could take any one of the GB guys and put them on any podcast and they would shine.

Best comment on the video: "Okay, the new guy needs to stay. I love him. So entertaining. ;p"

EDIT: I'm surprised at the over sensitivity towards swearing in a lot of the comments on that video. Someone claiming that swearing covers up for bad vocabulary, when Ryan is clearly more well spoken than those guys.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By handlas

Not a fan of Tom so this video was great. Thank u. I listened to the Gamestop podcast for about a month and stopped solely because of him. Just dislike his view on things so much. Last one I listened to was him shitting all over Apple and Steve Jobs after he died... call me an Apple fanboy, whatever, but his argument was just terrible. Ill stick with the couple of other gaming podcasts I like instead.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Sploder

Ryan's a machine lol. His blank faced destruction was crazy.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#74  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

@CaLe said:

We need some kind of tracker for when the Giant Bomb people appear in GameSpot stuff. I miss these easily..

That's what I was thinking!

I'm about 32 minutes into the video right now and I do enjoy my viewing experience quite a bit. Good stuff! I'm glad I got to witness this exchange of ideas. Also, Ryan is absolutely glorious in this. Maybe even a slight notch above his usual much more than respectable level.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By CaLe

@TheHumanDove said:

@CaLe said:

What's your problem?

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By plop1920

"You are wrong. Tell me that you are wrong."

Ryan Davis is amazing

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#77  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Daiphyer said:

@Ares42 said:

@Jrinswand said:

No one likes Tom McShea.

This is pretty much true. He's probably the worst part of Gamespot's editorial team and he makes their podcast almost unlistenable sometimes.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By JoeyRavn

I started to watch the video just now and, man, it's weird to see Ryan podcasting. Podcast Ryan is not the same as Video Ryan in my mind :(

Edit: Five minutes in and I'm already grinding my teeth. If Blops 2 (or any other "core" game) wasn't on the Wii U, they would be complaining about the lack of "AAA" titles on the platform. Fuck.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#79  Edited By Daneian

My favorite part of the steambox argument was in them talking about exclusives. Aren't there a metric shit ton of indie, strategy, first person shooters that are ONLY available on PC? I have to imagine that, regardless of quality, those numbers at least equal to, if not more than, the exclusives that each individual console has. People will still buy the FTL's, the Total War's on steam if they can be pushed to the TV.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TheHumanDove

@CaLe said:

@TheHumanDove said:

@CaLe said:

What's your problem?

I'M A GODDDDDDDDDDDD

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#81  Edited By csl316

Oh man, need to see.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Shaka999

As soon as I get off work, I'm checking this out. Hopefully this is as good as you're all making it out to be.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Jrinswand

My bad. I meant to ask why people dislike Tom McShea. There's a pretty big difference between the two. LOL.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By churrific

Quoted for Truth was pretty ok when it had Brendan Sinclair and John Davidson. Too bad they left.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Turambar

@TheHumanDove said:

@CaLe said:

No thank you.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Turambar said:

@TheHumanDove said:

@CaLe said:

No thank you.

Too bad, you have to. DEAL WITH IT

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Turambar

@TheHumanDove said:

@Turambar said:

@TheHumanDove said:

@CaLe said:

No thank you.

I actually don't. I'm amazing like that.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BraveToaster

I like Ryan's assholish persona, he doesn't sugar coat shit and he gets straight to the point.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Turambar said:

@TheHumanDove said:

@Turambar said:

@TheHumanDove said:

@CaLe said:

No thank you.

I actually don't. I'm amazing like that.

I see. Interesting.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@BraveToaster said:

I like Ryan's assholish persona, he doesn't sugar coat shit and he gets straight to the point.

This.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#91  Edited By KaneRobot

...this wasn't nearly as crazy as I expected after reading the comments here. He dropped a few pointless insults in with his arguments. No big deal.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Loafsmooch

The thing with Ryan is he's one of those people who has realized the fact that arguing in a straightforward manner gets him better answers, and a better discussion going on. People are in general way too polite and kind when having a debate or arguing about something, especially in media, and that leads to not getting the best answers out of your "opponent".

Ryans straightforward manner can come across as douchy to people who don't know he is like this, but I appreciate people like him a lot.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By colourful_hippie

Damn, Ryan tore apart those other guys. It's great seeing someone not pull any punches and just cut through bullshit.

I bet those guys get Fuck Ryan Davis shirts.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By tariqari

great video but for God's sake, why does Gamespot suck so much? their people are like wanna be gamers.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By wjb

I rarely dislike figures of the video game press, but from the handful of content I've seen Tom McShea in, he comes off smug and unlikable. I get the impression he thinks he's more knowledgeable and relevant than he actually is.

I dunno, Gamespot seems like it's been a boring place for the past 5 years. I like and respect Kevin Van Ord and John Davison, and Chris Watters seems like an okay guy, but I find it difficult to get through any of their content even if there's a GB guy being featured.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#96  Edited By wefwefasdf

Thanks for posting this! I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#97  Edited By Red12b

@Barrock said:

@Atlas said:

I was nearly falling asleep listening to the two Gamespot guys, then when Ryan jumped in it really kicked the show up several notches; I'm halfway through and I'm enjoying it a fair bit. Weird to see them using that studio for something other than the Whiskey Media/Giant Bomb Radio Show/Call in With Dave.

Also been reading the comments. Much more reasonable and level-headed than I remember GS comments being in the past, and seems like a very warm reception for Ryan's appearance, despite some people having a problem with his swearing and his exuberance. It's actually worked out pretty well having the two sites serving their own audiences so far; Gamespot is like Video Game Facebook, Giant Bomb is like Video Game Reddit. If Giant Bomb guys show up on Gamespot shows I'll definitely watch, but I think that too much cross pollination would probably be bad for Gamespot.

Another comparison; Gamespot as a television show would be aired at 7pm, while Giant Bomb TV would be late night 12am.

EDIT: This is a really good way to demonstrate just how much more personality and charisma the Giant Bomb crew has compared to most other video game journalists; Ryan generally makes better points than the other two guests, but he's also so much more interesting to listen to. Maybe they should get Patrick on one time, maybe people would stop hating on him and would realise he's actually great at his job and a very good fifth man on the crew.

I had to laugh at the guy complaining about swearing and the fact he has a gigantic pair of tits as his profile picture.

Ha! For real?

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Shaka999

Just finished, and man, props to Ryan, although I feel like he was a little too harsh on these guys. And as a first time viewer of Todd McShea, I'm not a fan of his style (he was way too passive and seemed too eager to agree with Ryan unconditionally), but no need to jump on & needlessly attack him. Dude's a little socially awkward, so what. If you don't enjoy what he does, then don't read/view it. Simple as that.

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By panvixyl

Blessings be upon you Ryan Davis.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#100  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Shaka999 said:

Just finished, and man, props to Ryan, although I feel like he was a little too harsh on these guys. And as a first time viewer of Todd McShea, I'm not a fan of his style (he was way too passive and seemed too eager to agree with Ryan unconditionally), but no need to jump on & needlessly attack him. Dude's a little socially awkward, so what. If you don't enjoy what he does, then don't read/view it. Simple as that.

He wasn't too bad in this one, but there is plenty of audio or video where him being a smug prick is a bit more evident. Just watch that video with him and the producer of Medal of Honor Warfighter or maybe listen to a few episodes of the podcast to get what people mean when they say they don't care for him.