Hey...JRPGs are still pretty awesome

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Edited By Red

Last year, as the two of you who read my Year in Review Blog Post know, my game of the year was The World Ends With You. I still stand by that. Anyways, over the weekend I didn't have many games to game. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (which I had ordered a month earlier) had still not arrived, I beat Flower the weekend before and I had nothing to do. After whining in the IRC for a few minutes, I got an urge to play Chrono Trigger. A boss fight later: I was back into the game. While Chrono Trigger's combat may not be the most fun, and the story may not be the most original, it's still an awesome game--mainly because of its presentation. As I've said before: Chrono Trigger does encounters better than any other game. The characters are instantly lovable, the graphics charming, the bosses wonderful, and the combat cinematic. I played some Burnout Paradise as well; I finally got my A liscense. It's just a great game to play while listening to a podcast.

Anyways, I get off my Chrono Trigger-filled bus ride and look into the mailbox. There's a package. Persona 3: FES was inside. A subway sandwich and five hours of playtime later I can truthfully say that: JRPGs are awesome. Persona 3 just takes what I loved about The World Ends With You and mixes it with what I love about Final Fantasy and sprinkles it with dating sim. The combat is fast-paced while still being strategic, the story is intriguing and the formula addictive. The main thing that games like the Persona franchise and The World Ends With You have in common is the setting. While JRPG stories are a dime a dozen: unique settings aren't. With a great setting you have a great frame for a fantastic JRPG. We've all been to the Middle Ages before, but the modern setting seems to be where JRPGs are going. Will this eventually get overused? Most definitely. Is it fresh and unique now? Yes, and it makes Persona 3 all-the-more addictive. I'm going to go play it right now. I don't know why I wrote this blog. It just made me lose time playing Persona 3.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Red

Last year, as the two of you who read my Year in Review Blog Post know, my game of the year was The World Ends With You. I still stand by that. Anyways, over the weekend I didn't have many games to game. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (which I had ordered a month earlier) had still not arrived, I beat Flower the weekend before and I had nothing to do. After whining in the IRC for a few minutes, I got an urge to play Chrono Trigger. A boss fight later: I was back into the game. While Chrono Trigger's combat may not be the most fun, and the story may not be the most original, it's still an awesome game--mainly because of its presentation. As I've said before: Chrono Trigger does encounters better than any other game. The characters are instantly lovable, the graphics charming, the bosses wonderful, and the combat cinematic. I played some Burnout Paradise as well; I finally got my A liscense. It's just a great game to play while listening to a podcast.

Anyways, I get off my Chrono Trigger-filled bus ride and look into the mailbox. There's a package. Persona 3: FES was inside. A subway sandwich and five hours of playtime later I can truthfully say that: JRPGs are awesome. Persona 3 just takes what I loved about The World Ends With You and mixes it with what I love about Final Fantasy and sprinkles it with dating sim. The combat is fast-paced while still being strategic, the story is intriguing and the formula addictive. The main thing that games like the Persona franchise and The World Ends With You have in common is the setting. While JRPG stories are a dime a dozen: unique settings aren't. With a great setting you have a great frame for a fantastic JRPG. We've all been to the Middle Ages before, but the modern setting seems to be where JRPGs are going. Will this eventually get overused? Most definitely. Is it fresh and unique now? Yes, and it makes Persona 3 all-the-more addictive. I'm going to go play it right now. I don't know why I wrote this blog. It just made me lose time playing Persona 3.
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Uggh. Don't remind me about all the JRPG's I have to finish. I love them but I always seems to drop off around the middle, or right at the end. The only games I'm able to finish have been tactic games, and CoD4. Chrono Trigger is awesome, but I hate dystopic future settings, so it kind of annoyed me when I had to keep going to the future. Plus I leant it to a friend, and he's not done with it yet. He has my Tales of Symphonia too, now that I think about it....

But yeah, JRPG's are awesome.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

My interest in JRPGs have been ignited recently due to some anime I enjoyed and Valkyria Chronicles.  Shamefully, I've never played The World Ends with You, although it's been on my Gamefly queue for months now.  It keeps getting bumped down by other games, most recently, Star Ocean IV

Anyway, if you feel the need to jump back onto the JRPGs on DS bus, I highly recommend Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride.   I haven't had this much fun on a handheld in ages.  It was made years ago, but has been nicely refreshed for the DS and since it never made it to the States originally, what's played for the 1st time is as good as new to me.  

I'm not convinced that modern settings are the way of the future for JRPGs.  I'd like to steer out of the fantasy genre as much as anyone, but with titles like White Knight Chronicles, Dragon Quest 9, Suikoden Tierkreis or My World, My Way it seems that's unlikely to change for a while.  Still, FFXIII seems to be situated more in a scifi like world, and I'm not sure where the Blue Dragon or Kingdom Hearts franchises really fall. 

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
PenguinDust said:

I'm not convinced that modern settings are the way of the future for JRPGs.  I'd like to steer out of the fantasy genre as much as anyone, but with titles like White Knight Chronicles, Dragon Quest 9, Suikoden Tierkreis or My World, My Way it seems that's unlikely to change for a while.  Still, FFXIII seems to be situated more in a scifi like world, and I'm not sure where the Blue Dragon or Kingdom Hearts franchises really fall. "

I think the modern setting should become a setting of JRPGs.  It fits well really. 
It shouldn't become the main setting, but just as common as fantasy jrpgs.  I personally wish that steampunk/cyberpunk became more popular, but at the same time those aren't easily done in a way that makes it all flow together nicely.

Final Fantasy Versus 13's setting looks rather interesting.  I prefer the cyberpunk-fantasy FF13, but it's still unique
Same with Persona
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milkman

I can stomach one JRPG a year. And to the rest, no thanks. It's just such a tired formula. It's the same exact thing every single game. But for some reason, Japan still loves them. Whatevs.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Milkman said:
"I can stomach one JRPG a year. And to the rest, no thanks. It's just such a tired formula. It's the same exact thing every single game. But for some reason, Japan still loves them. Whatevs.
"
You really could say that about any genre
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Xandurson

Man, I'm just not a fan of JRPG's. But I won't hold that against any of you, it's just not my thing.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Red
GamerGeek360 said:
"Man, I'm just not a fan of JRPG's. But I won't hold that against any of you, it's just not my thing.
"
It's not like I'm a diehard JRPG fan. I think Persona 3, Chrono Trigger and the World Ends With You can be played by anyone. JRPGs are stale. It's just the diamonds in the rough that breathe life into the genre.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By Bullet_Jr

RPGs have never been my bag as a genre. However, I find the art style in most JRPGs to be fascinating.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Disgaeamad
Milkman said:
"I can stomach one JRPG a year. And to the rest, no thanks. It's just such a tired formula. It's the same exact thing every single game. But for some reason, Japan still loves them. Whatevs.
"
I can stomach one shooter a year. And to the rest, no thanks. It's just such a tired formula. It's the same exact thing every single game. But for some reason, America still loves them. Whatevs.

EDIT: Not that I dislike shooters or anything. It's just that that statement can be applied to so many other genres.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Systech

I'm getting Chrono Trigger shipped to me by Amazon. I can't wait to play it for the first time.