HOLY ****, FF13-2 gets mad low reviews on amazon jp. 6/10 average

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By xyzygy

Adhering to an Amazon review is like adhering to a Wal Mart or Gamestop review. Complete idiocy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#52  Edited By Hailinel

@cloud360 said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@cloud360 said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

So now we care about Amazon reviews?

I'm done with video games, it was nice meeting you guys.

it seems representative. look at FF7's reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AF%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A7%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BB%E3%82%A8%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9-236025011-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%A1%E3%83%83%E3%83%88-%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%8A%E3%83%AB%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%82%B8%E3%83%BCVII-%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8A%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%8A%E3%83%AB/dp/B000FNY5EE/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1325238540&sr=1-2

@cloud360 said:

...in my opinion, if SE doesn't turn things around (maybe go back to their roots, bring back world map and turnbased atb battles) then this could be the end of FF

You're either a troll...

Or you need to switch hobbies. I ain't joking duder.

EDIT: Also if anything that helps XIII-2 because we all know VII was poop.

I am neither. I just want to discuss a genuine topic, whether FF is dying and SE is dying. Whats gone wrong e.t.c

Neither is a genuine topic because neither is true. Final Fantasy XIII sold incredibly well. XIII-2 isn't selling as well, but still moving good numbers. Square Enix is still doing good business, even if their old guard fans don't agree with their every decision.

Also, Amazon user reviews are hardly a prime indicator of quality.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By penguindust

Didn't that woman's book who appeared on FOX News to criticize Mass Effect's sex scenes also get very poor Amazon reviews from angry gamers? Yeah, Amazon reviews are very reliable. Amazon reviews are just another forum for disgruntled fans to bitch and moan whether or not they've played the game.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#54  Edited By peacebrother

Final Fantasy doesn't matter

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Benny

I hope this is a wake up call for them that they can't continue like this forever. If the Japanese market that they seemingly cater to doesn't much care for their games they must surely realize they are going to run out of steam if they keep going like this.

Of course, we don't know the whole story, what with Versus XIII being mired by setbacks and a seemingly endless dev cycle, there might be some deeper issues in the company preventing them from really going out on a limb. To me at least it feels like It's been a while since square really "innovated."

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By laserbolts

It might have been just a bunch of bitter final fantasy fans. Wait for some credible publIcation reviews before caring or whatever.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By MysteriousBob

Who cares? Final Fantasy has been dead for years.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By AuthenticM

Maybe this is just japanese gamers being racist toward a beloved japanese franchise influenced by western feedback?

All I know is everything I've seen of this game tells me it's a superior product than its predecessor. I would be surprised to see it being less than so. I'm not ruling it out though.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By EightBitShik

Only Giant bomb user reviews matter imo.... I don't know I haven't really been into FF in a while. I liked 11 and 12 ok... I stopped playing 13 pretty quick after I learned how the "exp" worked. I like to grind myself.

But honestly I would probably see 13-2 as an episode game it's going to have tough sales to begin with because you have to think no one who didn't play FF13 will buy it and the people who bought FF13 either hate it or love it so your numbers are going to be low anyway.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By ssj4raditz

I can't read any of that!

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Jayzilla

CoD games are the Mariah Carey's of the gaming biz. FF's are more akin to Poison: Popular, androgynous, but middling overall. They have bright spots, but aren't for the masses.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Questionable

@cloud360 said:

Now the question must be asked, is Square Enix paying famitsu or something?

Yes, famitsu themselves have admitted multiple times that they allow their ratings to be influenced by exclusives and adds, they are not being bribed its just how the business works, be nice to a publisher and you are more likely to to be fafoured by them when their next title comes along.

You can say what you want about them but in their business exclusives directly translate to sales and for them to admit it is commendable at least.

The only downside i have against this is that from the consumers viewpoint it is practically impossible to discern from a legitimately good scoring review and one thats been padded a bit.

CottonWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#63  Edited By CottonWolf

@Questionable: Does anyone on Japan actually take the Famitsu reviews as meaning anything, or do they just treat it as well written marketing?

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64  Edited By Tackchevy

While interesting, I'd bet that the objective quality of the game exceeds the average of these opt-in user reviews. I can't read Japanese, so maybe this is just a fanboy war between DQ and FF people.... While it's a necessary evil, I despite the polarization of reviews. There is a big difference between a crappy or broken game and one that is awesome but not in the ways you were hoping, or because the plot doesn't pan like you hoped it would.

Char12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Char12

@cloud360: Ahh but FF7 is just reviewed by nostalgia driven fanboys who think its simplistic story and gameplay still stand up to modern standards

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Are you fucking serious? Have you actually read the reviews people are stating in the game? One review complains that the main characters (Sera) isn't as attractive as Lightning was and said he couldn't get into the game because of that and gave it 1 star.

Also, they are saying that there is too much possibility in the story for DLC and a possible FF 13-3.

User reviews = fucking pointless and stupid. Just look at Metacritic.

Char12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Char12

The fact is I loved FF13 I put 95 hours into it and 13-2 is a day one purchase for me, soo I guess other people's opinions are not going to affect me

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By soldierg654342

If people left poor user reviews for ham sandwiches on Amazon, would you stop eating them?

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Questionable

@CottonWolf said:

@Questionable: Does anyone on Japan actually take the Famitsu reviews as meaning anything, or do they just treat it as well written marketing?

It is still a highly entertaining magazine, they usually are the first to receive screenshots and details about upcoming games weeks before any more info is released. Hell just look at Catherine. it took nearly a month before ANY other info to be released after that initial Famitsu coverage. Personally i take anyone who receives a pay check to write a review with a big grain of salt, there is just too much incentive to please others.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Jayzilla: That was beautiful.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@cloud360 said:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B004K6L0DG/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

A "perfect" game like this (referring to famitsu's and dengeki's perfect score), should not be getting these scores?

In fact, gundam on ps3 got 4.5/5 stars on amazon jp.

Now the question must be asked, is Square Enix paying famitsu or something? Has square enix lost a signifcant chunk of its japan fanbase, because otherwise why are the reviews so low?

Whats your opinion?

Wasnt there somthing about Famitsus scores being bought or somthing?>

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#72  Edited By mesoian

@Questionable said:

@cloud360 said:

Now the question must be asked, is Square Enix paying famitsu or something?

Yes, famitsu themselves have admitted multiple times that they allow their ratings to be influenced by exclusives and adds, they are not being bribed its just how the business works, be nice to a publisher and you are more likely to to be fafoured by them when their next title comes along.

You can say what you want about them but in their business exclusives directly translate to sales and for them to admit it is commendable at least.

The only downside i have against this is that from the consumers viewpoint it is practically impossible to discern from a legitimately good scoring review and one thats been padded a bit.

...but that IS bribery, by definition. That is the exact same thing gamespot got called out for doing years ago. Hell, it was the crux of what "Gerstmann-gate" was based on.

The real issue is that the coveted 10/10 in famitsu doesn't mean what it used to in the 90's and the 00''s (aughts) when only a handful of games had it. It was reserved for games that influenced the way that the industry moved, changed the ways that games were developed. Now they are tossed around fairly liberally, usually at the behest of a publicity check written by a publisher. 3 games have been awarded 10/10 in the past 2 months, one of them being Mario Kart 7.

I think in these trying times when all paper publications are struggling to survive, Famitsu is using their legacy to attempt to stay above water and gain publisher favor at a cost of their integrity. It's a shame, but that's how it goes, it's the answer they've decided to take. But it's another reason why Famitsu simply isn't that relevant anymore.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter since review scores don't mean anything. I'd REALLY like to read their Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 review because they gave that game a 39/40 and there are large sections of that game that are categorically broken.

cloud360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By cloud360

@Bobby_The_Great said:

Are you fucking serious? Have you actually read the reviews people are stating in the game? One review complains that the main characters (Sera) isn't as attractive as Lightning was and said he couldn't get into the game because of that and gave it 1 star.

Also, they are saying that there is too much possibility in the story for DLC and a possible FF 13-3.

User reviews = fucking pointless and stupid. Just look at Metacritic.

many people agree with the reviews. one had 144 out of 188 likes/helpful ratings. Thats a 1* review

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By endaround

Amazon in Japan gets consorted efforts like Amazon in the US to attack certain products. Anything with too many reviews is always suspect.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#75  Edited By Levio

I propose a toast to the end of Square Enix. *Drinks from glass of milk*

Avatar image for antoniothedeadly
antoniothedeadly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By antoniothedeadly
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#78  Edited By jakob187

You know what reviews I trust the most when I'm looking to buy a product?

Amazon reviews.

-_-

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By WilyBoy

6/10 is not "mad low".