• 56 results
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Shakezula84

This is something that's always bothered me and I just want it out somewhere in writing, and what better place then the Giant Bomb forums.

Stop bringing up the horse armor when you talk about bad decisions in DLC. It was a preorder bonus you got for free. It costs money so it seemed worth to preorder the game.

One thing that upsets me about preorder bonus is one thing (and I know I'm in the minority) and that's when it becomes free to everyone. I prefer the bonus to cost money go those who didn't preorder.

So stop regreting not preordering Oblivion to get the horse armor for free and drop it.

Random rant over.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By finstern

I had forgotten about the horse armor until you chose to use it to highlight other people using it to talk about bad decisions in DLC. 

THANKS

dyram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By dyram

Except it was (EDIT: originally - I specifically remember seeing it for free back when the game hit) released for free on the PC. 

This is why the comparison is always made. It was the first example of needless pricing on the consoles. Not only did you have to pay more money for the console version, but then you couldn't even get a minor, unimportant piece of content without paying more money, whilst on the PC players were playing for less, with more. 

No one is butthurt over missing a pointless bit of armor from preorder.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Lukeweizer
@Shakezula84: They ended up selling it for 240 Points. It wasn't just preorder. By the way...

No Caption Provided
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mfpantst

ok either you are purposely deviant or dumb.  I can't verify that it was or was not a pre-order bonus.  But I can verify that it falls under the category of DLC to ANYONE WHO DID NOT PREORDER the game.   People would be angry because its a $2 DLC for horse armor.

So just so you know that I read the entire statement you made, a pre-order bonus is in NO WAY equivalent to being "free to everyone."  Anyone who came to be interested in a game (ME) after it came out can in no way participate in that pre-order bonus.  Therefore, to someone like me the Horse Armor is specifically DLC and a very stupid example of DLC, and how DLC can get out of hand

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/0cc00000-0000-4000-8000-0000425307d1?cid=SLink

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shakezula84
@Dyram The "butthurt" part was a joke, but horse armor on PC is $1.89.
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ch3burashka

Sorry to break this to you, but horse armor has been long forgotten. Good job bringing it back, though.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shakezula84
@Finstern I wish I could forget.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mfpantst
@Shakezula84: So i just figured it was being mentioned everywhere, but apparently not.  So glad you are the only one who can't forget, and who gets upset about it.
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shakezula84
@CH3BURASHKA It was mentioned within the past month or two on the Bombcast and I only just got time to finally vent about it.
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By CowMuffins

Horse Armor, to my memory, was one of the first "DLC"s ever made. So...not knowing what the market wanted, ended up with Horse Armor.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shakezula84
@Lukeweizer My post mentions that (but not a price). They charge for it to increase the value of the preorder.
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shakezula84
@mfpantst It's free to those that preordered. I only know this because I worked at GameStop at the time. And as I said I support charging people for preorder bonuses to create value for the preorder. I know I'm in the minority.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mfpantst
@Shakezula84:  What I'm saying is that really you are wrong- it's a DLC.  It's also a pre-order bonus.  Being available free to a subset of the gamer population does not make a DLC not a DLC.

Stuffing a feather up your butt does not make you a chicken.

And before you reiterate that because it was a preorder available for free to anyone- what about someone who is <18 and cannot legally buy the game,  but now is 18 and wants to play oblivion?  Hmmm?  That would make it DLC- and at $2, is that really what HORSE ARMOR is worth in a game in terms of real dollars?
JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JokerFrown

I was a troll once.  Then I was approached by a fairy princess who told me that in order to become human again I needed to go on a long and dangerous quest to save the world and shut tight the jaws of Oblivion without horse armor.  I did it and am human now, and I'm engaged to be married.  The fairy princess also told me that anyone who brings up horse armor as a topic on any forum site is a troll just like I was and they should be burned at the stake as they have no chance for redemption anymore. 

I believe in fairies.  Do you?

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By haggis

DLC was new at the time, and no one knew what the market would be like. The complaints about it were overblown at the time, and look silly now. DLC has come a very long way since then. The Horse Armor thing was a good learning experience for everyone, especially considering the later DLC created for Oblivion. And yeah, it does still get brought up, and it's usually irrelevant when people do. Best just to ignore it, though.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Shakezula84 said:
" This is something that's always bothered me and I just want it out somewhere in writing, and what better place then the Giant Bomb forums. Stop bringing up the horse armor when you talk about bad decisions in DLC. It was a preorder bonus you got for free. It costs money so it seemed worth to preorder the game. One thing that upsets me about preorder bonus is one thing (and I know I'm in the minority) and that's when it becomes free to everyone. I prefer the bonus to cost money go those who didn't preorder. So stop regreting not preordering Oblivion to get the horse armor for free and drop it. Random rant over. "
It was a perfect example of a company being greedy and screwing its customers over. It will be used for a long time. So YOU drop it! 
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shakezula84
@mfpantst It was rated T when it came out and was rerated later due to complaints.

I only brought this up because it's something that frustrates me when I hear someone complain about it. It's not the last time something like this happened. It just bothered me and like I said I just wanted to document it. I dont usually have time to post on forums that much but with Giant Bomb Mobile here I now have the time.

Sorry I was late to the party. I don't understand the anger with my opinion about it.
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shakezula84
@CowMuffins I'll admit if this was done now it would be harder to swallow. At least charge 80 MS Points.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mfpantst
@Shakezula84: Angry because your logic hurt my head.  DLC is something that to get you would have to pay for.  After the game is out, you can't pre-order a game no mo'  So while part of your argument is correct, the selling it for a value later still makes it DLC.  So your logic was painful.

That being said I thought it was (or always was) M rated.  So you have a good point there.  Anyone could have pre-ordered it.

Alot of people also don't like pre-orders.  So they ignore that.  I for one, don't like pre-orders.  The only reason I don't like them is they do not add value to  the developer/publisher/distributor, but to the retail store, and I think the evolution of pre-orders has shown this (There are now store specific pre-order bonuses) and I don't think this should happen.    
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shakezula84
@The_Laughing_Man Companies like money. Just like people. I really don't understand the anger this has produced.
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shakezula84
@haggis I try to ignore it but ice never put my opinion out there. Sorry for getting everyone upset about this. I didn't relize it was a sticky topic.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BraveToaster
@Shakezula84 said:
" @CH3BURASHKA It was mentioned within the past month or two on the Bombcast 
They were joking, so why rant about it?
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Shakezula84 said:

" @The_Laughing_Man Companies like money. Just like people. I really don't understand the anger this has produced. "

It was a slap in the face to people. 

Also you can multiquote people in one reply. Much easier to do.  

Not to mention Beths DLC for PC only works if you buy it in bulk. Their online DLC store has been down for about a year now. 
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mfpantst
@The_Laughing_Man: Its far more fun to reply to people individually though.  Nice for post counts
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shakezula84
@mfpantst I agree with some of what you said and that it is unfair to people who pick it up later. I got Oblivion late and so I have been deprived of horse armor (and before people start yelling at me, that was a joke) but preorder bonus work for companies since they really don't measure sales beyond a certain point. Companies can fold within a month or two of a games release. I'm sure it sucks when it turns out the game consistently sells for years making the money back for the publisher while the devs have been fired.

Not wanting to preorder is a choice that everyone can make, but if a company chooses to give DLC for free to a group of "loyal" customers and charge everyone else I don't think is a bad move. Even if we use Oblivion as an example, it's not like the game is $60 anymore. The cost of the DLC has been offset by waiting.

I know the horse armor was a day one thing, but I'm just saying that to make a point on the cost of things.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bybeach
@Lukeweizer said:
" @Shakezula84: They ended up selling it for 240 Points. It wasn't just preorder. By the way...

"

That armor is beautiful...can't live without it!
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shakezula84
@The_Laughing_Man It's a slap to the face of no one. And I didn't know the store was down, but it was still charged on PC. @mfpantst I actually didn't know I can multi reply like this. I've only been on this forum for a couple of hours now. (long time reader of the site, first time poster and what not). Plus I'm using my phone. Still, it's good to see someone not getting so angry right now about this thread. Very refreshing. @drag As I've said I was just finally getting my opinion out there. I didn't force anyone to reply to my post, but I welcome the discussion. @Axxol Because they used the joke in the context of bad DLC decisions when I think a better argument is bad preorder DLC decision. It bothers me. We all have things that bother us that makes no sense to people. Humor me.

Sorry for the bad formatting in this reply. I'm getting use to using the mobile site. I'll get better.
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shakezula84
@bybeach
@Lukeweizer said:
" @Shakezula84: They ended up selling it for 240 Points. It wasn't just preorder. By the way...

"

That armor is beautiful...can't live without it!
Honestly I swiped a DLC code from work so I could get it and the website for the PC version didn't work right (about a month after release). I almost bought it on 360 just to say I bought the horse armor. I don't even own oblivion on 360 :)
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BraveToaster
@Shakezula84 said:
"  @Axxol Because they used the joke in the context of bad DLC decisions when I think a better argument is bad preorder DLC decision. It bothers me. We all have things that bother us that makes no sense to people. Humor me."  
That's life, bro. People make fun of things, no matter how attached you are to it. 
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shakezula84
@Axxol I know, but as I said I wanted to post my opinion about it.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Shakezula84 said:
" @Axxol I know, but as I said I wanted to post my opinion about it. "
When the DLC was posted it made it sound like the Armour would in fact buff your horse. They did not say " ITS ONLY FOR LOOKS" And people bought it thinking " Hey Ill get a stronger horse" That is a slap in the face. 
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shakezula84
@The_Laughing_Man Wouldn't have been a problem if they preordered the game.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Shakezula84 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man Wouldn't have been a problem if they preordered the game. "
I think you might have not understand why people hate horse Armour. Not that its a pre order. But that its a DLC that did NOTHING
samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By samfo

I think 'horse armor' is a great way of describing bad DLC decisions, I have a feeling we will be hearing about horse armor for a long time! 

sorry if this has been brought up, but does anyone remember when Oblivion had a sale on all its dlc for half price? all except horse armor, they doubled the price of that i think!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Spoonman671

Your thread is stupid, but your name/avatar is awesome.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
  1. Horse Armour deserves to be mocked.
  2. Why is it 2006 in this thread?
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Brendan

This has been over for a year pior to Giantbomb's very existence.  It was one of the first DLC's and had no price model to compare itself to.  It clearly didn't last, and for good reason, so give it a rest.
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jasta

It was released 4 years ago, please stop moaning about it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By jakob187

I think it's worth noting that no one really knew what to make of this "DLC" thing when Xbox Live first started offering it on 360.  In turn, what we expect out of DLC has drastically changed since then. 

However, Horse Armor WAS a bad decision.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DriveupLife

I bought horse armor and I don't regret it.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I have it. 

No regrets.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Three0neFive

To be fair, anyone who bought Oblivion on the consoles were raped from the start.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shakezula84
@The_Laughing_Man I get that but you aren't listening to me either. It has a price to it to create value for the preorder. If no way had existed to get it for free I would totally agree with you.
@Spoonman671 I never claimed that it was an intelligent topic/discussion, but thanks for the compliment. It took me a while to find a way to get that picture.
@Gamer_152 1. I won't deny it's stupid 2. I'm afraid of change ;)
@Brendan As I said I missed out on the discussion at the time and wanted to get my opinion out. Sorry again for bringing up something controversial.
@Jasta Sorry again. Just wanted to get my opinion out there on the subject. I missed the boat years ago.
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Shakezula84
@jakob187 Overall yes, but not for the reasons people complain about. It sounds like it was advertised incorrectly when it came out.
@DriveupLife, @Vito_Raliffe I've been tempted to get it just to say I have it.
@Three0neFive Anyone who bought the 360 from the start was raped, but that's true of most console launches.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Shakezula84 said:
" @jakob187 Overall yes, but not for the reasons people complain about. It sounds like it was advertised incorrectly when it came out.
@DriveupLife, @Vito_Raliffe I've been tempted to get it just to say I have it.
@Three0neFive Anyone who bought the 360 from the start was raped, but that's true of most console launches. "
I do not think anyone cared it was a pre order. The thing was it was one of the first DLC. It was something new and people thought it would make the horses stronger. Which it did not. 
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By WinterSnowblind

If it was ever a pre-order bonus, it certainly wasn't available in most countries.
kitsunezeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kitsunezeta
@Shakezula84 said:

" @mfpantst It was rated T when it came out and was rerated later due to complaints.

Ironically, the complaints were mostly about the nude textures, specifically the nippled females, that were only visible as a result of placing "invisible armor" on the NPCs (in other words, you had to be playing the PC version and you had to be using mods on it, as it would not happen on the X360 or PS3 versions). While the ESRB decided not to slap Oblivion with an AO rating afterwards, they did rerate it M because apparently Bethesda understated the amount of blood that was in the unmodified game.

Of course, the ESRB has rated some games much higher than both Europe's PEGA and Japan's CERO, case in point being Kagero 2: Dark Illusion (ESRB: M, PEGA: 12+, CERO: C - this means the only country where the sale of that game is regulated is the US)
Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Shakezula84
@The_Laughing_Man People being ignorant of it's preorder status isn't a factor in my opinion. Just like in politics.
@WinterSnowblind I hadn't considered it not being a preorder bonus in other countries. This does make me think a bit on my stance.
@kitsunezeta ESRB is a joke. It does good but it's swayed by politics of the time. The ESRB is why I imported my copy of MK Vs DC. I wanted to see the Joker shoot people in the face.