How do you feel about Random Loot Purchases?

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By vivek

Poll How do you feel about Random Loot Purchases? (130 votes)

Think they are great! 7%
Im not fussed, neither here nor there. 35%
Hate them! I want to know what I am getting! 52%
I have no opinion and just like to answer polls. 7%

When I say random Loot Purchases, I am talking about crates or packs that you purchase in game with real or game currency, that you buy without specifically knowing the contents.

Here are two specific examples:

• Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Crates - 3 tiers of packs you can buy to vary level of goods, such as the elite pack having the best chance of getting the best items, but not always guaranteed.
  • Fifa Ultimate Team - Bronze, Silver and Gold packs containing random players and ability cards.

In the podcast the crew always complains about situations like these.

In my opinion, I loved the random loot crates in ME3 multiplayer. It stopped everyone having the same load out and meant that when saved up and got a powerful weapon, you cherished it and worked your play style around it.

I preferred this approach too a COD style work towards the weapons that are the best and then have everyone follow the most powerful setups.

I will admit in Ultimate team though that the progression can be slow, and that finding decent players was extremely rare and sometimes it felt as though you had to invest real money to get the better players.

I would love to see how other people feel about this.

• 
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It's gambling.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not a big fan. I don't mind them being there as long as there is an in game currency to access the same loot.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By expensiveham

Feels ok in games like TF2 and Dota 2 where the game is free but you can pay money to unlock random cosmetic items that you can also get during gameplay. The implementation in games like Mass Effect 3 and Gears of War: Judgment make me feel sick and hate the industry.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If you're using in game currency I don't mind it and in fact kind of like it. As soon as it involves real money I need to know exactly what I am getting.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jay_ray said:

If you're using in game currency I don't mind it and in fact kind of like it. As soon as it involves real money I need to know exactly what I am getting.

This.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_ray said:

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@expensiveham said:

Feels ok in games like TF2 and Dota 2 where the game is free but you can pay money to unlock random cosmetic items that you can also get during gameplay. The implementation in games like Mass Effect 3 and Gears of War: Judgment make me feel sick and hate the industry.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post as far as examples go.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_ray said:

Nailed it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I actually kind of enjoy the random loot aspect provided it's in-game currency and not my own money. I actually thought the ME loot boxes were pretty awesome, though they've got way better by offering you boxes that have one thing or the other (if you want characters, or guns, or gear). I could do that again in some game.

Paying 2.49 for it though? No, I'll pay 2.49 to get the exact thing I want.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's no different than buying a pack of baseball cards, or even subscribing to a service like Loot Crate. Sometimes you get what you want, other times you'll be a little disappointed.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Branthog

I hate them in things like Mass Effect, but in an entirely free to play game like DOTA 2 where they aren't even anything that ever impacts gameplay and are absolutely just cosmeteic, I'm totally fine with it. In fact, I have bought a number of things, including keys to crates, in DOTA 2 just because I felt it was worth kicking a few bucks in after all the free fun Valve gave me.

I also often buy the little totems that give you and everyone playing on the map with or against you "bonus battle points". For one thing, it's another way for me to pay for my enjoyment, but it also is a nice little way to get people on your side. I did this almost from the very first game I played of DOTA 2. It is my first MOBA and while I read as much as I could as to how to play, I knew it would take forever for me to become adequate. When the game starts, a big glowy thing pops up over the head of every person on the server and a message that "Branthog grants everyone a 15% battle point bonus this game!", it quickly sways the room to be kinder to you when they see you fumbling or being dumb. :)

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog: Why do you hate it in ME3, when you are happy to use real money in other games? I never spent any real money on ME3 multiplayer and have some of the best weapons.

Also ME3 had a similar multiplayer environment where, people doing gold runs would only play with people who had the best weapons and voice chat, as all players had to play their part at a high ability level.

If you are making the point that ME3 multiplayer is part of a $60 package, then I think you are forgetting that there is a huge single player component and vast multiplayer attached to that price and that you do not need to spend real money on top of that to experience either.

@expensiveham: I never put a penny into the ME3 multiplayer, and saw the random loot crates as a mechanic. Maybe it is because I had played games like Diablo 2 and Torchlight and enjoyed the aspect of grinding to get gear. Saving my points from runs to buy the most expensive crates. Just saying it makes you fell sick is a little unfair as ME3 has a huge single player experience, GoW:Judgement I cannot comment on though.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By expensiveham

@vivek: Mass Effect 3 is not as bad as other games as you get crates quite often and you do not get the impression that they made them super rare in order to lure you into buying them. I still do not think microtransactions belong in a 60$ game and i don't think they should ever improve your character.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As long as you earn them through in game currency, I actually like the feeling of taking a risk and seeing what you get. I find trying to fit a strategy around what happen to get more fun than just going straight to the few things that you know want, and rarely straying from those things.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

I don't play trash like that.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By myke_tuna

@expensiveham said:

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post as far as examples go.

Another vote for this response's correctness.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think surprises are fun

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@vivek: I dunno, I liked the gear crates in ME3 up until I maxed out my manifest with all the rares. After that it got really tedious trying to get ultra rares. Spending a couple of hours in a multiplayer session and spending 1-2 million credits on crates and getting nothing is fucking depressing. Fucking RNG.

The conditions people maxing out their ultra rares is all over the place to, some people have spent shit tons of time playing matches and might have only half of their UR's maxed while others will get lucky and max em out in half as much time as the other guy.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Mass Effect 3 is scummy for being a retail game but you would have to be dumb enough to buy them in the first place. Non cosmetic microtransactions are almost universally terrible; doesn't really matter if it's random or not but the stupidity on the part of the player is likely higher if they're buying something random as opposed to something not random.

Edit: If you're talking about solely ingame currency then there's nothing wrong with it; Gambling is fantastic in Diablo 2 and Torchlight for example.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By LackingSaint

Flashbacks to TF2 hat-trading days.

No... no.. never again..

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By casper_

i dislike them but i dont know dude im not very fond of slot machines or the lotto either and get kind of weirded out seeing human beings acting like rats pushing buttons to drop random pellets.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By UlquioKani

If the game implements them in a good way, I don't care.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like it could be OK in games like Mass Effect 3 and Gears of War: Judgement if they let you trade your items with others. At least then if you shell out a bunch of money for some rare item that you don't want, you might still be able to get something that you do want out of the deal. That's how Magic: The Gathering cards have always worked and I actually enjoy the randomness-for-real-money there.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#24  Edited By Kidavenger

I used to love stuff like this when I was a kid, hockey cards, magic cards, but now that it's in videogames it pisses me off for some reason.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#25  Edited By StarvingGamer

It was fine in ME3.

I don't think I've played any other games with a similar system.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_ray said:

Basically how I feel about it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#27 gamer_152  Moderator

I'm generally fine if they're purchased with in-game currency, but when games let you buy them with real-world money, I'm completely against it. If you get bad drops, you've essentially paid for nothing, if you get good drops and it's a multiplayer game then you get an advantage over other players just because you were willing to pour more cash into the game. I'm not a fan of either of these things.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Pudge
@lackingsaint said:

No... no.. never again..

STOUT SHAKO 2 REFINED!

As for my opinion, as long as there is a trading system implemented (Basically just TF2 and DOTA for now), then I'm fine with it. Because even a crappy loot drop can be turned into something you want, they're even starting to let you sell stuff for Gabe Fun Bucks.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By LackingSaint

@pudge said:
@lackingsaint said:

No... no.. never again..

STOUT SHAKO 2 REFINED!

I'd never part with my beloved Stout Shako for such a meagre sum. I painted it yellow and also wear the Summer Shades so it look likes the hat has sunglasses fitted onto it oh man it's so sweet.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@jay_ray said:

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't play games that use this system, so I have no opinion on it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By musubi

I'm fine with it. It brings back that same feeling of opening a pack of trading cards and hoping for the best. When you get something good it felt great. Although, I really don't have any games outside of TF2 that I play that do this. Although I did pay $10 for a hat in TF2 once...

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vivek

@maskedarcstrike: I agree, I had to put a lot of hours in getting the best weapons and then upgrading them to level X's. But I also found that due to the content added to the multiplayer, with new weapons becoming available and new characters added, that there was always something new to be saving up for.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I don't like it. If it's a microtransaction thing, then I just see it as a way to get more money out of people, and if it's an in game money thing, then I just see it as a money sink.

Either way, if I'm getting something, regardless of if I'm using real currency or not, I want to know what I'm getting. Having it as an option, but still allowing people to purchase what they want (at a higher price, let's say) would be a good middle ground that I would be okay with.

As it is though, things like that just push me away from games that have them. Or at least the part of the game that has them. I played Mass Effect 3 online just long enough to get the Achievements you can only get in multi-player (which I accomplished in a day), and I never touched it since.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the way Mass Effect 3 did purchases was bonkers. I can't figure out why people would pay for a chance to get something they already picked up or are not interested in?

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thomasnash

The thing that really irritated me was that not only was it random whether you got a certain weapon, but upgrading it was just as random. If you'd gotten a certain weapon to level 4 or whatever, it's very rare that a new weapon is going to be more desirable than just upgrading the one you have. Very annoying.

But yeah. Mass Effect 3 is the only real experience I have of this. Honestly I think you make a reasonable case for it in the opening post (ignoring the real money aspect), but I'm still not sure I can get behind it. I know this is really an argument that is particular to me (or at least, not to everyone) but one of the main sources of enjoyment I get from games is working towards specific targets - enough gold for that badass sword, or enough xp to be able to use it or whatever. As soon as it is randomised...well I suppose that hook is still there to an extent, in that you are trying to get enough for the pack that drops rare items, but it's been stretched filament thin and doesn't really catch me anymore.

Operon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Operon

If I'm spending real money on something I would like to know what I'm purchasing. Game companies should be more transparent on the probabilities of receiving a particular tier of item or they should not be random at all.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on the situation, sure. In the case of TCGs, where it's possible to pick up card packs without paying, it's totally fine... you know what, I suppose anything that doesn't effect the balance of the game, "pay-to-win," I suppose I don't have a problem with it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikkaQ

If I'm at the point where I'm throwing real life money in a game for a weapon or something, I better be getting exactly the weapon I want.