How important are GB's Game of the Year Awards to you?

• 199 results
Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#101  Edited By Lazyaza

This seems like a poll made by someone who doesn't understand the entertainment value and amount of time and work that goes in to gbs goty stuff. How is some doods opinion on the internet "important"? I love the gb guys and their stuff is all fantastic but their opinions ultimately as important to me as anyone elses.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By inkerman

I like hearing them talk about the games and why they chose them, but their opinions rarely matter to me.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#103  Edited By AndrewB

Ummm, I've already mostly bought the games I figure I'll play. If they name their game of the year as a game on a system I actually own when it's a game I don't, I'd probably think about buying it even if I don't care for the genre. Basically I just like listening to the reasoning behind the games they pick and the ones they don't because I don't have people to talk to in real life about video games and their opinions often reflect my own.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#104  Edited By Hunter5024

Some of my favorite content all year, but that really has nothing to do with their opinions. I just think the debate process is very interesting.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By JCGamer

They aren't important but are fun to watch. The site has always been about the personal views of the staff and seeing their personal top 10 is fun and listening to the deliberations of the sites game of the year is fascinating.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By thatdutchguy

Waiting for it to end so I can have my content back.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By ajamafalous

After last year? Not at all (lol).

I usually don't listen anyway, because I never buy games at full price on release and I hate spoilers.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#108  Edited By Tennmuerti

It's a good shorthand info dump on the crew's tastes, allowing me to easier see where their likes, dislikes, strengths and idiocies lie.

So that later when watching QLs or listening to the bombcast or reading reviews i can make a judgement call what to actually pay attention and listen and when to ignore their opinions.

That is when talking about the podcast form of GoTY.

Video GoTY stuff is purely for entertainment.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By triple07

I would fall under another category: Looking forward to seeing the content they produce and the opinions they share. So I picked the first option.

akeripper4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By akeripper4

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I pick E. Extremely entertaining and enjoyable to listen to but not really 'important' to me.

+52

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#111  Edited By Gerhabio

@Cold_Wolven: I didn't even enjoy Skyrim that much... Saints Row was the winner in my heart.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#112  Edited By deathbyyeti

I disagree with everyones taste except Vinny (maybe half of Drew and Dave if they do a list again) because he will try a game instead of playing for 10 minutes and shitting on it because the game didnt tell him how to do certain things even though there was a prompt that showed them how to do said action

Its also fun to just watch

Avatar image for jonathanashleymoore
JonathanAshleyMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this time of year, listening to these guys duke it out.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I listen for the drama. I want friendships to end.

Also I love moments like brad trying to say how much he loves a character in LA Noire, yet can't really explain why yet alone remember his name.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would be lost without them, living on the streets. So A.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By neoepoch

Option D is implying that they make content.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By vaiz

@BlatantNinja23 said:

I listen for the drama. I want friendships to end.

Also I love moments like brad trying to say how much he loves a character in LA Noire, yet can't really explain why yet alone remember his name.

This. 2010 GOTY casts were the best so far. The multiple epic struggles between Brad and Jeff, I was pretty sure someone was gonna get stabbed.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By SeanFoster

I don't care what anyone but me thinks are the best games of the year, I do however enjoy hearing the deliberation process between the Bomb squad.

TMBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By TMBaker

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I pick E. Extremely entertaining and enjoyable to listen to but not really 'important' to me.

MaxxS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By MaxxS

Man, I've seen some shitty polls lurking these forums, but this. I know your options are tongue-in-cheek; they're still really bad.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#121  Edited By grilledcheez

It's ok, the community stuff was always more interesting but they don't do that anymore SOOOOOOOOOOOO

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By audiosnow

I don't care at all what they pick, but the four-hour-each podcasts detailing why they pick what they do are the best content produced all year.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#123  Edited By benjo_t

@TheSouthernDandy said:

The only ones I care about, because I know the personalities behind the lists.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#124  Edited By Nux

@TheSouthernDandy said:

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By valiantgoat

I just see it as more content. I don't care what any site picks for GotY, but the podcasts are always entertaining so I'm in.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#126  Edited By Rhaknar

C... I guess, no other option really applies since I dont give 2 fucks about what any site says the best game is. Its fun tho

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Chummy8

The games I buy these days are usually a year or two old. So, the annual game of the year won't matter to me until 6 months from now.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#128  Edited By NMC2008

GOTY in general isn't important to me, it's just a fun thing at the end of the year, like Christmas but better.

kadayi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By kadayi

I kind of take them as a year in review, plus they're pretty entertaining as the death march to GoTY progresses.

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#130  Edited By ShadowVirus

I decided what University to attend based on their 2010 GOTY picks.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#131  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

None of these poll options are reasonable answers. I'm looking forward to them, but not because I need someone to dictate my life decisions or agree with my opinions, I just think it's always interesting and entertaining to hear the Giant Bomb staff discuss video games.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By shaunk

I care about how they feel about games, the games that they are really passionate about are really good. I wouldn't have checked out Saints Row: The Third if it wasn't for last years awards. Also the lengthy podcasts are fun as hell.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#133  Edited By eccentrix

I don't care about the lists, I just like having so much content filled with in-depth discussion/debate about video games. If you're waiting for it to end so you can have content, you're doing it backwards.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#134  Edited By Seppli

Still haven't played Saint Row The Third yet. Definitely want to. Whatever poll answer that translates to best.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Catarrhal

Last year's Skyrim debate was so boring that Ryan Davis left the room for at least thirty minutes and no one gave a shit. He finally came back and said something like, "Yeah, Skyrim is on a whole 'nother level;" it was obvious he just wanted to go the fuck home at that point. And who could blame him? Brad never backs down from an argument unless he's clearly outnumbered.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Gruff182

@TheSouthernDandy said:

E

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#137  Edited By Nev

To be honest, not much. The Giant Bomb GOTY and E3 are the only real points in the year I kinda zone out for a week or two, and hope to see at least a few QLs or a Random PC Game to get me by. The videos are all right for GOTY, but funny enough I enjoyed the subscriber behind the scenes stuff from last years GOTY moreso than the actual GOTY videos. No interest in the podcasts, either. Those and E3 I always tend to skip yearly. *shrug*

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheSouthernDandy said:

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#139  Edited By kraznor

I enjoy them as its the one time of year the Giant Bomb crew just disregards all this "Spoiler Warning" crap and digs deep into some heady conversations about what does and doesn't work about some noteworthy games from the past year. We got a tease of that this week when they went deep on Mass Effect and I bought the trilogy on PS3 right after just so I could revisit it and ponder it some more. I love the GOTY talks, listen to them a bunch in January while playing through some XBLA stuff or other background-activity style business.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#140  Edited By ShadowMoses900

Not much really, it's just their opinions. But it's nice to see what they think, but by no means do I put their opinion above my own.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#141  Edited By subject2change

It's entertaining to listen to, and that's really it to me. It kills a whole bunch of hours at work usually.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#142  Edited By Atlas

For me it's just for funsies, although sometimes it's interesting to listen to a very in-depth discussion of two games side by side, especially the stories, even if you've never played either of them - didn't play MGS4 (no PS3) or GTAIV (hated the first few hours) in 2008, but still found their GOTY debate fascinating to listen to.

The only time I really cared was last year; for some petty reason I got pretty bummed when I thought Saints Row: The Third, a game I had very little interest in, was going to beat Skyrim, one of my best gaming experiences of all-time, but Patrick and Ryan really saved the day on that one. This year I have come to terms with the fact that my GOTY - Crusader Kings II - is too niche and crazy to earn even a small amount of consideration on a site like Giant Bomb. I thought I was going to root for XCOM against The Walking Dead, but having just played Episode Four of TWD last night...it's still not my GOTY, but I'm fine that it's ambition and novelty has received as much praise, even if some of the characters, beats of the story, and gameplay turns me off the experience a bit. It's still a great game with some moments of real genius, and If it ends up winning GB's GOTY, I won't be disappointed in the slightest.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#143  Edited By TheHBK

The game of the year awards don't matter to me, don't care about who wins really, but the discussion and how they get there is most important. These podcasts at the end of the year are all I live for now.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#144  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@david3cm said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By cookiemonster

E.

ominousbedroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By ominousbedroom
@TheSouthernDandy  said: 

Yes! I like seeing what GB and other people in general think of games that I also play, enjoy, etc. but I'm mainly here to enjoy the content.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By bybeach

Almost 'D' but I enjoy the show..and I know they half to put some thought and effort into it. I just liking heating what they think, individually and collectively, and whether I agree with it.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#148  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Lots of podcasts!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#149  Edited By jakob187

Personally, I just love the videos and the podcasts. The most interesting times for me on the Bombcast are when the guys break games down into very analytic talk.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By boboblaw

I don't give a shit about the awards or the top 10s but the videos they produce are great as are the podcasts.