How To Sell A Game

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

when done right, marketing can be a formidable weapon.

Seldom when playing a game do I get truly overwhelmed with the adrenaline rush that so many promise and so few deliver. Making a player empathise with the events that lay before them on screen is a complicated and tactile affair. Too often I find myself a mere tourist in games that, although brilliant, fail to fully communicate the gravity of the events unfolding and the emotional consequence on you as the player or even the damn character you are in control of. However I can say with utmost sincerity that, having seen the new Conviction trailer, I am fucking stoked for that game.

If the completed product can retain any level of this intensity then, hot damn, we have a winner.

My university animation project has been completed

and will be posted on this very blog in a few days

Which means I am free once more to stay up late (later) playing videogames and writing blogs. One of those games is World Of Warcraft. I remain a deep cynic, my commitment to the game fluctuates between bursts of enthusiasm and disparaging despair. The game has its faults and it has its accomplishments. Which of them remains in focus continues to be a matter of perspective. Sometimes one must travel a long way to acquire any.

I reached the level cap for the Bad Company 2 beta, level 11, and having unlocked all the available weapons my mission has been firmly completed until the games official release. Bad Company 2 is a frantic mess to play, an environment in which I apparently flourish, but there are only so many times one can play the same level.

I would like to forward a song that, unbelievably, has been released for free. This pricing is appropriate because this song needs to be heard. It's pretty fantastic. Download it here.

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

when done right, marketing can be a formidable weapon.

Seldom when playing a game do I get truly overwhelmed with the adrenaline rush that so many promise and so few deliver. Making a player empathise with the events that lay before them on screen is a complicated and tactile affair. Too often I find myself a mere tourist in games that, although brilliant, fail to fully communicate the gravity of the events unfolding and the emotional consequence on you as the player or even the damn character you are in control of. However I can say with utmost sincerity that, having seen the new Conviction trailer, I am fucking stoked for that game.

If the completed product can retain any level of this intensity then, hot damn, we have a winner.

My university animation project has been completed

and will be posted on this very blog in a few days

Which means I am free once more to stay up late (later) playing videogames and writing blogs. One of those games is World Of Warcraft. I remain a deep cynic, my commitment to the game fluctuates between bursts of enthusiasm and disparaging despair. The game has its faults and it has its accomplishments. Which of them remains in focus continues to be a matter of perspective. Sometimes one must travel a long way to acquire any.

I reached the level cap for the Bad Company 2 beta, level 11, and having unlocked all the available weapons my mission has been firmly completed until the games official release. Bad Company 2 is a frantic mess to play, an environment in which I apparently flourish, but there are only so many times one can play the same level.

I would like to forward a song that, unbelievably, has been released for free. This pricing is appropriate because this song needs to be heard. It's pretty fantastic. Download it here.

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By insouciant

The Conviction trailer wouldn't load.  Maybe it's just me.  The same thing happened with other Giant Bomb videos—not YouTube ones—posted in the forums.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@insouciant: i have every confidence that people will find it :)
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By RandomHero666

It loads for me, and it truly is amazing footage.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan

I am really looking forward to Conviction. I was disappointed to hear that it got pushed back, but if the game is better as a result, I have no problem waiting.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I mean, I want Conviction, but seriously the trailer is not as good as people make it out to be. Everyone seems to be creaming their pants while I sit here and don't even get goosebumps.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187
@Sweep said:
"Bad Company 2 is a frantic mess to play, an environment in which I apparently flourish, but there are only so many times one can play the same level."
Tell that to Strike at Karkand, Sweep!!!
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CaptainTightPants

Been looking forward to conviction since i completed Double Agent, then got stoked when they released the early footage where Sam looked like a Hobo with a sweet beard, and this well....if i was any more stoked my head would explode.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By buzz_clik

Thanks for the tune, mate. High Contrast is responsible for one of my favouritest DnB tunes ever.

Oh, and the Splinter Cell trailer is great, except the little girl's voice is a bit dodgy. Good squeal, though.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Emilio

The gameplay is going to be nothing like that. 

And I hate every fucking game on the Xbox360 and PS3 whipping out their dick, pretending that they're some fucking shitty Hollywood movie. 

UGH.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai
@Sweep: Great blog as always, do you play BF BC2 on xbox or PC ? Because I am also enjoying my self with it.
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm.. You're right... that conviction trailer is pretty good. I've been sort of iffy on it, but maybe I'll like it. Great, another game I need more money for. ;__;

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Emilio said:
" I hate every fucking game on the Xbox360 and PS3 whipping out their dick, pretending that they're some fucking shitty Hollywood movie.  UGH. "
the first half of that sentence doesn't make any kind of sense. The second half isn't much better. You have beef with action games because you believe they aspire to be action films? Are they not to be considered on their own merits, or are you so stubborn as to believe videogames incapable of delivering anything sincere?
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14  Edited By Oni

I do not like Tiesto at all and I think drum n bass/dubstep is awful

Conviction looks good

also "its" and "it's" are two different things. You're English, you people invented the damn language

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By danielkempster

While I'm not going to echo his... sentiments, I do understand where Emilio is coming from with Conviction. The trailer paints it to be an action game, which is a little odd because the snippets of gameplay it does show suggest a stealth game in the vein of the first three Splinter Cell titles. That being said, it does look a lot better from a story perspective. If it can deliver the same style of gameplay as Pandora Tomorrow (with some next-gen bells and whistles, of course) and tell a better story that gets pushed to the foreground rather than being reduced to poorly-animated FMV cut-scenes, I'm all for it. Just as long as Ubisoft don't try and turn Sam Fisher into Jason Bourne. 

Nice blog, Sweep. Stay awesome.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Oni said:
""its" and "it's" are two different things. You're English, you people invented the damn language "
*sigh*
stinky51012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By stinky51012

Same with the Heavy Rain trailer and anything Beyond Good and Evil 2 related. brb.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Snail

The game won't deliver what you expect it to. They never do. Only games that come to mind that exceed my expectations are those that I was skeptical about. And since I am so fucking stoked for this game I know that I am in for disappointment. 

Also:  TIESTO FEAT JONISSIJAISJAKFJªKALEJ FLKEWJTLKEWJTPWÈJTPÈWJPTJWEKTWEPT 

YOU DON'T HAVE TO FUCKING REMIND ME WHAT A FUCKING SELLOUT THAT JÓNSI IS.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Fallen189
@Oni said:
" I do not like Tiesto at all and I think drum n bass/dubstep is awful  Conviction looks good  also "its" and "it's" are two different things. You're English, you people invented the damn language "
"It's" is a conjuncive, making "it" and "is" into "it's".

Its isn't a thing at all. Regardless, why would you fill up this good mans blog with such nonsense, forcing me to reply to it.

Regardless, I am with you on WoW Sweep, my enjoyment curve for WoW is like a comb, with incredibly fluctuating highs and unbearable lows. I came back the other day after a month off, hoping to do some new content, and I was thrown off because my "GS" isn't over <Abitrary number>. I asked why gamerscore meant anything in WoW and he blocked me. WoW players are the worst.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Snail said:
"YOU DON'T HAVE TO FUCKING REMIND ME WHAT A FUCKING SELLOUT THAT JÓNSI IS. "
How is he selling out? The song is free to download, you tit.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Fallen189: I'm not level 80 yet so I don't really understand but apparently it's Gear Score, not gamerscore. It's like a total to show people how awesome your gear is. 

I didn't really get it either.

The best thing to do in wow is find a nice leveling guild, they are usually full of fun active players who are pretty understanding about offering advice and helping with quests. I'm having a fairly decent time playing with my guild at the moment :)
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fallen189
@Sweep said:
" @Fallen189: I'm not level 80 yet so I don't really understand but apparently it's Gear Score, not gamerscore. It's like a total to show people how awesome your gear is.   I didn't really get it either.  The best thing to do in wow is find a nice leveling guild, they are usually full of fun active players who are pretty understanding about offering advice and helping with quests. I'm having a fairly decent time playing with my guild at the moment :) "
It's a bloody nightmare mate. I took a year or so off because, hey, I'd finished everything ingame. The last time I played, you needed the achievement "Epic" to get into any form of PUG, so you'd just...fake it with PVP items. I come back and now I need a much higher set of requirements to even get INTO a raid I've done 50+ times before. I wanted to do a raid called Vault of Archavon, which I'd done many months back, but because I am old now, I got promptly told to get fucked. It was stunning. It's a bit of a pain that my old "Crew" and I all just kind of...quit. We got partners/jobs/better games and such, and for all Blizzards "Casualisation/Streamlining" of the system*, it's become even harder to do things.

* I do not necessarily agree that this has made the game more casual, because that's a relative term to playstyle/lifestyle. It's just the best way to explain myself ^^
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Snail
@Sweep: Sellout as in "lost all dignity by doing a commercially friendly song just because he's fucking Tiesto (or was)".
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Snail said:
" @Sweep: Sellout as in "lost all dignity by doing a commercially friendly song just because he's fucking Tiesto (or was)". "
Are you one of those elitist bastards who only likes bands before they were famous?
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Snail
@Sweep: No. 

I mean, I am an elitist bastard, but what you say is not true. The popularity of a band does not affect my opinion about the band. Although, for the most part, popular bands are mediocre that does not mean that if a band I like happens becomes popular I instantly stop liking it. I still like Sigur Rós, make no mistake, even though they are becoming increasingly popular. True, their music is getting more and more accessible, but unlike most cases, they are not abdicating of quality in order to achieve accessibility. This is a rare phenomena, by the way. I just don't like listening to Jónsi (the vocalist of Sigur Rós) losing all his integrity and working with an artist like Tiesto just because they're fucking each other is all.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Claude

Ha! Sam Fisher did a hood slide in that clip. Classic.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By End_Boss
@Snail: I have very little insight to offer here, but shouldn't we assume it a matter of course that if this "Jonsi" (you people and your fancy accents!) is romantically linked to this "Tiesto" that this "Jonsi" must at least think this "Tiesto" is a good musician. 

TIESTOJONSITIESTO. 

EDIT: I redact everything I just said. The more important question here is what to call this newfound celebrity couple: "Tiestonsi"? "Josto"?
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Great Trailer, Thanks for sharing Sweep.

I see that the US release is in April 13th.. Is that the same for the European also does anyone know?

Sorry to say about the song though - It's just not my type of music :(

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sambambo

Wow

Interest levels have gone from non existant to orgasmic

Sinatra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sinatra

That Conviction video is awesome ! 

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Rowr

ugh tiesto.

Theres far better techno out there.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Capum15

Pretty good trailer. My all-time favorite though, is the Ace Combat 6 trailer (which is the "Start Button Menu" intro of the game, not the 4 minute trailer, the 1m 50-ish second trailer). That never fails to get my blood going.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Rowr said:
" ugh tiesto.  Theres far better techno out there. "
i don't usually listen to techno i'm more up for some chilled out dnb, but this particular tune sparked my interest via the hospital records podcast (which is number 1 on the iTunes chart and you should all go and listen to). Also High Contrast is a bit of a legend.
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Oni
@Fallen189 said:

" @Oni said:

" I do not like Tiesto at all and I think drum n bass/dubstep is awful  Conviction looks good  also "its" and "it's" are two different things. You're English, you people invented the damn language "
"It's" is a conjuncive, making "it" and "is" into "it's".  Its isn't a thing at all. Regardless, why would you fill up this good mans blog with such nonsense, forcing me to reply to it.  Regardless, I am with you on WoW Sweep, my enjoyment curve for WoW is like a comb, with incredibly fluctuating highs and unbearable lows. I came back the other day after a month off, hoping to do some new content, and I was thrown off because my "GS" isn't over <Abitrary number>. I asked why gamerscore meant anything in WoW and he blocked me. WoW players are the worst. "
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possessive_pronoun

Next time you correct someone correcting someone on an extremely elementary grammatical error, make sure you know what the fuck you're talking about.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fallen189
@Oni said:
" @Fallen189 said:

" @Oni said:

"It's" is a conjuncive, making "it" and "is" into "it's".  Its isn't a thing at all. Regardless, why would you fill up this good mans blog with such nonsense, forcing me to reply to it.  Regardless, I am with you on WoW Sweep, my enjoyment curve for WoW is like a comb, with incredibly fluctuating highs and unbearable lows. I came back the other day after a month off, hoping to do some new content, and I was thrown off because my "GS" isn't over <Abitrary number>. I asked why gamerscore meant anything in WoW and he blocked me. WoW players are the worst. "
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possessive_pronoun  Next time you correct someone correcting someone on an extremely elementary grammatical error, make sure you know what the fuck you're talking about. "
oh u
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I don't get it.  Generic ass generic story line, and EXPLOSIONS? FUCK YEAH!  are the only things I got away from that trailer.  Where does the awesome come in?

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Oni
@Fallen189: Did I just get trolled? I, what, I don't even