I hate when I realize I'm actually an idiot.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Edited By demontium

Its kinda evident that i favor the big N over the others, mostly because of their past work and their handful of Wii/DS games that I loved. Its time to start facing the facts, Nintendo is on the decline. It has a promising lineup ahead, Kirby's Epic Yarn being one game that has particularly caught my eye.  

I bought metroid on the first day it came out, excited by the very fact that Nintendo (actually team ninja) was giving one of their 'big three' franchises voice acting. Now hold up, how fucking ignorant does that sound. I think this stemmed from my past love for Nintendo and metroid in particular, but god damn, being excited over something thats been implemented since the N64 era. Anyways, I open metroid other m and pop it in. 

I begin to watch the opening cutscene, as slight vibes of tingling touch my skin. I realize that, for once in a Wii games life, this game has some sort of production value (of course I am proud of that fact rather than cynical (as I should be)). See how annoying it is when address you in first person and ignorantly express how I feel as a follow-up, thats how Samus fucking talks the whole damn game, not to mention most of the writing is senseless, useless, and/or characterizes samus in a terribly wrong way.  

No I don't think its sexist, I think its fucking boring, and even the fucking game overthinker tried to dfend samus' change of character in this game. No, being a whiny fucking bitch with major dependency issues doesn't connect with Samus' past at all, nor is it interesting or fitting for the current game. I might've forgiven her character and voice actor if the writing was in any way relevant, but forgiveness is far from what I feel.  

I could go into a whole review about only having 8-way NES style running, auto-aim and auto-dodging, and a bunch of other gameplay/control issues being a major problem, but its terribly obvious that those are less of a revolution and more of a mistake. This opened my eyes to the truth about the 'new' Nintendo, the one that still doesn't like to move towards new IPs, the one that still isn't HD, the one that has a terrible online experience, and the one whose console is based on a badly implemented gimmick. 

I can't fault them fo everything however, as much as I bash. I mean, Nintendo has... "influenced" the gaming industry (mostly by sales) to move towards motion controls, which is a whole other disaster. Also, Nintendo has done too much good shit in the past to make me change my name, and some of their new games look promising. I'm pretty torn up on how to feel about the company I've defended for so long, even though I shouldn't have defended them.  

I guess I should conclude with this: my name will stay red, but I'm depressed at the fact that it's becoming more and more meaningless.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By demontium

Its kinda evident that i favor the big N over the others, mostly because of their past work and their handful of Wii/DS games that I loved. Its time to start facing the facts, Nintendo is on the decline. It has a promising lineup ahead, Kirby's Epic Yarn being one game that has particularly caught my eye.  

I bought metroid on the first day it came out, excited by the very fact that Nintendo (actually team ninja) was giving one of their 'big three' franchises voice acting. Now hold up, how fucking ignorant does that sound. I think this stemmed from my past love for Nintendo and metroid in particular, but god damn, being excited over something thats been implemented since the N64 era. Anyways, I open metroid other m and pop it in. 

I begin to watch the opening cutscene, as slight vibes of tingling touch my skin. I realize that, for once in a Wii games life, this game has some sort of production value (of course I am proud of that fact rather than cynical (as I should be)). See how annoying it is when address you in first person and ignorantly express how I feel as a follow-up, thats how Samus fucking talks the whole damn game, not to mention most of the writing is senseless, useless, and/or characterizes samus in a terribly wrong way.  

No I don't think its sexist, I think its fucking boring, and even the fucking game overthinker tried to dfend samus' change of character in this game. No, being a whiny fucking bitch with major dependency issues doesn't connect with Samus' past at all, nor is it interesting or fitting for the current game. I might've forgiven her character and voice actor if the writing was in any way relevant, but forgiveness is far from what I feel.  

I could go into a whole review about only having 8-way NES style running, auto-aim and auto-dodging, and a bunch of other gameplay/control issues being a major problem, but its terribly obvious that those are less of a revolution and more of a mistake. This opened my eyes to the truth about the 'new' Nintendo, the one that still doesn't like to move towards new IPs, the one that still isn't HD, the one that has a terrible online experience, and the one whose console is based on a badly implemented gimmick. 

I can't fault them fo everything however, as much as I bash. I mean, Nintendo has... "influenced" the gaming industry (mostly by sales) to move towards motion controls, which is a whole other disaster. Also, Nintendo has done too much good shit in the past to make me change my name, and some of their new games look promising. I'm pretty torn up on how to feel about the company I've defended for so long, even though I shouldn't have defended them.  

I guess I should conclude with this: my name will stay red, but I'm depressed at the fact that it's becoming more and more meaningless.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By habster3

I realize I'm an idiot everyday.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

Well, your name's in red so I can tell before I have to even read anything you've typed.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

It's pretty poor when one game makes you reconsider your position on a whole company.  When I say poor, that's not reflecting on you but rather the game itself.  Other M is awful in every regard.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

It's not a change of character.  It is her character.

It's fine if you don't like the game, but you sound like a petulant child.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude
@HandsomeDead said:
" Well, your name's in red so I can tell before I have to even read anything you've typed. "
I'm an idiot too. You?
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@HandsomeDead: Racist.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@demontium: I can see what you're saying, and being able to see both sides of the argument is a sign of intellectual maturity. However, that doesn't mean you should feel obligated to reject Nintendo based on one game. In this gaming climate, I still think it's important to remain anti-anti-Nintendo - the homogeneity of a Sony-Microsoft universe would be infinitely worse. They still contribute excellent games and their innovations aren't bad for them or the industry as a whole, even if much of it is irrelevant to a core gaming audience.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By demontium
@HandsomeDead said:
" Well, your name's in red so I can tell before I have to even read anything you've typed. "
Oh once you read it.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Emilio

Wahh waaah waahh, video game characters can't have feelings wahhh! 

But if you actually get down to the gameplay, it is fucking tight as a you know what  

I mean, the dodging and shooting is responsive. It is not some poor shooter where it feels like you're running on a super waxed floor. 
The movement is also very solid. I can actually feel the weight of Samus as I command her every which way. 

People seriously need to look twice. This is more of a Metroid game than Metroid Prime was, and that's fo' real. 
And c'mon, we're still at it with no new IPs? Just take a look at all those obscure games that never even came out of Japan. 

Still waiting for dat Captain Rainbow...
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By JoeyRavn

I have the slight sensation of having read this something like a month ago. Am I the only one?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This thread is skirting worryingly close to just turning into being about Samus Aran and Other M. I think we're all pretty aware of how Nintendo like to run things, their console is way behind technologically, their console is largely focused around motion controls and they don't like new IPs. You know what though? Nintendo still put out great games and when it comes down to it I feel like that's what matters most. We don't get everything from some Wii games we'd get from some 360 games but games like Super Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Smash Bros. Brawl have been just as fun for me to play as anything I've played within those same genres on any other console. If Nintendo want to keep the core games market satiated (and let's face it with the money they make from casual gamers that seems like a secondary concern) they're going to have to pick up the slack tech-wise but as far as pure games design goes I think they're still on the right track.

Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Praab_NZ
@habster3 said:
"I realize I'm an idiot everyday. "

Story of my life!

Also other M looks decent, though an obvious cashgrab.
CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By CharleyTony

I bought a Wii this year, I spent maybe around 500$, got all the games I cared about  that had good ratings. And now that system is already gathering a lot of dust... 
I dont regret it, it didnt give me a great return on my money but I am glad I chose to buy it after the Xbo360 and PS3... 
I got Metroid Other M at launch just like you, but I was able to get it for free by ttrading in COD World at War and BLUR. Two games I did not like. 
Metroid Other M is a mixed bag, some things feel really innovative and some things feel ridiculous. I guess you have to give them props about taking chances. 
I haven't finished it yet, but one thing I started thinking while playing it yesterday is the whole Concentration mode, where you get to refill your missiles, and also your health if you are colse to dying. That feature makes me think that they had a lot of trouble balancing the game, I would have prefered health and missile pick ups. It makes me think that they made the game too hard and had to add this to "save it" from being broken. 

Also, not having the Metroid music play when you get an item ... Is completely stupid

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
@CharleyTony said:
" I bought a Wii this year, I spent maybe around 500$, got all the games I cared about  that had good ratings. And now that system is already gathering a lot of dust... 
I dont regret it, it didnt give me a great return on my money but I am glad I chose to buy it after the Xbo360 and PS3... 
I got Metroid Other M at launch just like you, but I was able to get it for free by ttrading in COD World at War and BLUR. Two games I did not like. 
Metroid Other M is a mixed bag, some things feel really innovative and some things feel ridiculous. I guess you have to give them props about taking chances. 
I haven't finished it yet, but one thing I started thinking while playing it yesterday is the whole Concentration mode, where you get to refill your missiles, and also your health if you are colse to dying. That feature makes me think that they had a lot of trouble balancing the game, I would have prefered health and missile pick ups. It makes me think that they made the game too hard and had to add this to "save it" from being broken. 

Also, not having the Metroid music play when you get an item ... Is completely stupid

"
Concentration Mode isn't a balance fixer.  It's there to replace the fact that missile drops and health pick-ups aren't present.  And the use of Concentration Mode isn't really any different than grabbing the pick-ups that spawn when you defeat enemies (or in the case of bosses, destroy their projectiles) in earlier games.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SeriouslyNow

In other words Samus now can shit health and missiles if she's left alone for long enough.  This is canon.  Other M is a cool guy.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

It's a good game. I can understand if somebody doesn't like it, though. The story isn't great, the characterization of Samus is a little heavy-handed, the controls are kinda weird (at first). But I didn't mind a single one of those things, personally. 

The game's just fuckin' fun.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By CharleyTony
@Hailinel said:
" @CharleyTony said:
" I bought a Wii this year, I spent maybe around 500$, got all the games I cared about  that had good ratings. And now that system is already gathering a lot of dust... 

"
Concentration Mode isn't a balance fixer.  It's there to replace the fact that missile drops and health pick-ups aren't present.  And the use of Concentration Mode isn't really any different than grabbing the pick-ups that spawn when you defeat enemies (or in the case of bosses, destroy their projectiles) in earlier games. "

Concentration Mode does replace the missile drops, I will give you that. But  it does not do a good job of replacing the health pickups (IMO)

Only being able to get some health back (up to 99 + no E tanks) when you are at really low health (30 or less ?) and having to wait for it to charge up completely in order to work makes it hard to use. When you still have enemies or a boss attacking you, you rarely have time to charge that thing without geting hit. If getting hit during the charge gave you some health back, that would help. A lot of times I ended up with health in the single digit ad almost being able to charge the concentration mode completely, but get hit at the last second... 
I would have chosen a system more like what you see in God of War with the experience: Getting a little amount of health that Samus absorbs automatically every time you kill an enemy, a projectile or after destroying part of a boss.
me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By me3639

Admitting it is the first step to recovery. Welcome fellow idiot.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Chirag4

I hear ya, I'm just glad I realized this a while back.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By demontium
@me3639 said:
" Admitting it is the first step to recovery. Welcome fellow idiot. "
You guys got jackets?
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Ignor
@demontium: 
So how do you feel about the Metroid Prime trilogy?

Edit: (Also that is a bitchin' user icon)
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By demontium
@Ignor said:
" @demontium:  So how do you feel about the Metroid Prime trilogy?  Edit: (Also that is a bitchin' user icon) "
I never got it, I already had all three, and thanks. 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

awww i was expecting this to be about you actually being an idiot. 

i do agree, Nintendo is declining in great things. what happened with n64? it was a great system then next generation it wasn't great. now it just sold a lot of systems but not great games. it's a dust collector that just sits for another great game to come out.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By demontium
@iam3green said:
" awww i was expecting this to be about you actually being an idiot.   i do agree, Nintendo is declining in great things. what happened with n64? it was a great system then next generation it wasn't great. now it just sold a lot of systems but not great games. it's a dust collector that just sits for another great game to come out. "
I'm too stupid to do anything biographical. Seriously, I'd implode.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hailinel
@CharleyTony said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CharleyTony said:

"
Concentration Mode isn't a balance fixer.  It's there to replace the fact that missile drops and health pick-ups aren't present.  And the use of Concentration Mode isn't really any different than grabbing the pick-ups that spawn when you defeat enemies (or in the case of bosses, destroy their projectiles) in earlier games. "
Concentration Mode does replace the missile drops, I will give you that. But  it does not do a good job of replacing the health pickups (IMO)  Only being able to get some health back (up to 99 + no E tanks) when you are at really low health (30 or less ?) and having to wait for it to charge up completely in order to work makes it hard to use. When you still have enemies or a boss attacking you, you rarely have time to charge that thing without geting hit. If getting hit during the charge gave you some health back, that would help. A lot of times I ended up with health in the single digit ad almost being able to charge the concentration mode completely, but get hit at the last second... I would have chosen a system more like what you see in God of War with the experience: Getting a little amount of health that Samus absorbs automatically every time you kill an enemy, a projectile or after destroying part of a boss. "

Well, obviously they don't want to make Concentration Mode into an easy-use Win Button.  And the amount of health recovered by Concentration Mode can be extended through a type of pick-up scattered around the map.  You still have to wait the full length of the concentration to receive your health, but you get more bang for your buck.  Either way, there wouldn't be any point to it if it were easy to use in every situation.

Further, in Hard Mode, you're limited to a maximum of 99 health from start to finish.  No health expansions.  Also, the enemies hit harder, and you're limited to a maximum of ten missiles.  Concentration Mode becomes much more important and changes the flow of combat completely in this instance.
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By jonnyboy

The Game Overthinker is a tit. Using entire sentences comprised of big words doesn't give more credence to what your saying, it makes you sound like a tit. Nobody talks that way. I stopped caring what he had to say when he made a video of  in which he put forward the theory that the Playstation's dominance for over a decade was "luck" and "down to the mistakes of it's rivals".  Now I'm sorry but fanboyism aside, SCEA and especially SCEE had some of the best (and award winning) print and cinematic marketing campaigns of the 90's. The UK bought Playstation's hand over fist on the strength of those ads. Do yourself a favour, make up your own mind and ignore him and his thesaurus.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#29  Edited By citizenkane

Always think of yourself as an idiot.  That way, you can only be surprised in a good way.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By demontium
@CitizenKane said:
" Always think of yourself as an idiot.  That way, you can only be surprised in a good way. "  
But then how would I ever be able to title my blogs in such a provocative matter?! 

@jonnyboy said:
" The Game Overthinker is a tit. Using entire sentences comprised of big words doesn't give more credence to what your saying, it makes you sound like a tit. Nobody talks that way. I stopped caring what he had to say when he made a video of  in which he put forward the theory that the Playstation's dominance for over a decade was "luck" and "down to the mistakes of it's rivals".  Now I'm sorry but fanboyism aside, SCEA and especially SCEE had some of the best (and award winning) print and cinematic marketing campaigns of the 90's. The UK bought Playstation's hand over fist on the strength of those ads. Do yourself a favour, make up your own mind and ignore him and his thesaurus. "
A lot of times he's right though, and he admits to being very conceded. 
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By tebbit
@Sweep said:
" @HandsomeDead: Racist. "
Oh, says the White guy!
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FunExplosions
@demontium said:
"
A lot of times he's right though, and he admits to being very conceded.  "
He made some good points. Except I think he's missing what most people are really mad about. They aren't upset about the whole "woman" aspect or whatever, or at least I'm not. The thing that gets me is just how horrible the story is. It's embarrassing, and it's just a big let-down that the series' newest and probably biggest game had to be such a let-down on that front (That's my opinion on the story. I don't expect anyone to agree with me. It's just what I think).
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By demontium
@FunExplosions said:
" @demontium said:
"
A lot of times he's right though, and he admits to being very conceded.  "
He made some good points. Except I think he's missing what most people are really mad about. They aren't upset about the whole "woman" aspect or whatever, or at least I'm not. The thing that gets me is just how horrible the story is. It's embarrassing, and it's just a big let-down that the series' newest and probably biggest game had to be such a let-down on that front (That's my opinion on the story. I don't expect anyone to agree with me. It's just what I think). "
EXACTLY, and it's pretty lame that he said the NES controller was a "rebellion" when in reality it's terrible. I mean, it works, but c'mon, just use the damn nunchuck.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel
@demontium:   I still don't see the need for the nunchuck.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By demontium
@Hailinel said:
" @demontium:   I still don't see the need for the nunchuck. "  
Only because they limited the game to the limited controls. Think if they built it around the nunchuck.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel
@demontium said:
" @Hailinel said:
Only because they limited the game to the limited controls. Think if they built it around the nunchuck. "
No, I really don't see any benefit or improvement.  The game was designed around the controls chosen for it, plays well, and is a lot of fun.  I don't really see what the obsession is with analog stick movement given that not every game needs it to play well.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By demontium
@Hailinel said:
" @demontium said:
" @Hailinel said:
Only because they limited the game to the limited controls. Think if they built it around the nunchuck. "
No, I really don't see any benefit or improvement.  The game was designed around the controls chosen for it, plays well, and is a lot of fun.  I don't really see what the obsession is with analog stick movement given that not every game needs it to play well. "
Exactly, designed around 8-way run. Need I circle this argument? More ways to run is much smoother.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel
@demontium said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @demontium said:
" @Hailinel said:
No, I really don't see any benefit or improvement.  The game was designed around the controls chosen for it, plays well, and is a lot of fun.  I don't really see what the obsession is with analog stick movement given that not every game needs it to play well. "
Exactly, designed around 8-way run. Need I circle this argument? More ways to run is much smoother. "
Smoother, maybe, but not necessary.  Certainly not in Other M.

Honestly, you're just coming off as an overly invested Nintendo fanboy who feels betrayed by the notion that Other M isn't the game that you personally wanted them to make to specifically cater to all of your wants and needs specifically.  How dare they experiment and try something new?  How dare they expand on Samus's backstory?  How dare they not just give us more of the same and shit out a 2D Metroidvania?
Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Klaimore

Wait the color of your name signifies something?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hailinel
@Klaimore said:
" Wait the color of your name signifies something? "
When you set your alignment in your profile, it changes the color of your username.

Red = Nintendo
Blue = Sony
Green = Microsoft
White = PC
Grey = Neutral