I need a good survival horror game...

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael

I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good survival horror game? I'm not talking action games with occasional jump-scares like Dead Space, I'm talking games that scare me to the point where I want to turn off the console, but am too terrified to even leave the couch. Games that petrify me and cause sleepless nights. I'm talking games like Project Zero II(that'd be Fatal Frame II in the States).

Thing is, I'm not a big fan of clunky controls. I'm not really a fan of bad camera either. This, of course, poses a problem -- most survival horror games have at least one of the two. I'm cool with the controls and camera in th Project Zero games, but anything clunkier than that is unplayable to me. Pre-last-gen games are also a no-no, as they're too ugly to provide any proper scares.

So I ask you, source of infinite wisdom and knowledge known as the GiantBomb community: Do you have any games to recommend? I own all current and last-gen consoles except the PS3(well, I don't own a GameCube, but the Wii has backwards compatibility).

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jonnyboy

The first Suffering game was awesome. I'd really, really recommend it.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Icemael
@jonnyboy: I checked it out, and it seems pretty interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

If you can track down a copy of Resident Evil 2 for Gamecube, that's a good game.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icemael
@JJOR64: I've played RE2 for a short amount of time(the PSone version, that is), and IIRC the controls were awful. Were they improved for the GameCube version?
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJOR64
@Icemael said:
" @JJOR64: I've played RE2 for a short amount of time(the PSone version, that is), and IIRC the controls were awful. Were they improved for the GameCube version? "
Nope.  :P
alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By alsnuts2

Jump in a time machine and head back to 1997.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I'd recommend Doom 3 or Condemned 2: Bloodshot.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icemael
@JJOR64: Damn:(

@alsnuts2: Yeah, I'll do that. I've just gotta find a t-t-t-t-time machine(nobody will get this reference)

@ParanoidFreak: I really don't like Condemned's gameplay, but I'll check out Doom 3.
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ThomasP

Check out some of the older Silent Hill games. I've also heard great things about Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the GCN.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fallen_elite

Siren series maybe?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icemael
@ThomasP: The only reason I haven't checked out the older SH games is that I haven't been able to find copies:( I've played Eternal Darkness though. Pretty good game with some really sweet concepts, but unfortunately, it isn't particularly scary.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By luce

silent hill 3

umm..siren for the ps3

thats about it

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Icemael

I'll check out Siren for the PS2. I guess the low number of suggestions that aren't action-oriented games or ones with clunky mechanics proves how poorly the genre is doing. I suppose it isn't what the audience wants these days... take Dante's Inferno. That could have been adapted into a fantastic survival horror game, but instead, they're making an action game.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Pazy

Though I havent played more than the demo myself Penubra is supposed to be very good. Though its more of a mix between Survival Horror and Adventure games (though its 3d and first person). Its only on PC though but since your posting here maybe you have a good enough one to run it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penumbra:_Overture

If your going to try it nows a good time, the first game is £4 (50% sale) on their offical download store (I think its got local currency's so whatever that is in USD etc. if needed)

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Ferginator4k

Im gonna reccommend an old game by the Name Of System Shock 2, scared the crap out of me the whole damn time.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Games don't scare me that much anymore. Although I have to state that Doom 3 startled the shit out of me constantly having something in the dark jumping out at you. It would get my adrenaline pumping, but the thing is that after awhile I'd be too jittery & headaches to keep playing & would have to find something else to do.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PureRok
@jonnyboy said:
" The first Suffering game was awesome. I'd really, really recommend it. "
I've played the first suffering and I didn't find it hardly scare at all, which is saying something since I'm a huge pussy.
wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wealllikepie

i guess dead space but a) u prbbly already beat it and b) i guess its not survival horror on any difficulty other than the hardest since u pwn n00bs on all the other difficulty settings

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Icemael
@Pazy: Sadly, I don't have a gaming PC:(

@Ferginator4k: I've heard a lot of good things about that game.

@wealllikepie: Yeah, I've already played Dead Space. Fantastic game, but I wouldn't call it survival horror. It's more of an action game. A horror-themed one with some creepy atmosphere, sure, but still an action game.
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jonnyboy
@PureRok said:
"@jonnyboy said:
" The first Suffering game was awesome. I'd really, really recommend it. "
I've played the first suffering and I didn't find it hardly scare at all, which is saying something since I'm a huge pussy."
It's not that it's a BOO! or 'Cat in the alley' kind of scare game (although it does have those moments). I just found it rather un-nerving playing as a convicted child killer and then walking into a room to hear a muffled cry scream "Daddy please stop! I promise I won't do it anymore! Daddy Please!" As a parent that kind of thing got under my skin a little. Plus unlike most games the environment is constantly changing as you traverse the island (prison, nazis, slave ships, witch trials). The bit I liked the most was having to make a moral choice and having my dead wife pleading and screaming at me out out the left speaker, and a monsterous voice saying "Fuck him he deserves to die!" out of the right. Basically the game just did a lot of little thing that I hadn't seen done before.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By subject2change

Silent Hill 2 is easy to find, original Silent Hill is getting a re-release I believe soon enough.

Fatal Frame series, but you already played em.

Resident Evil 1-3 and Veronica, controls were clunky but still a good experience.

F.E.A.R and F.E.A.R 2

http://www.dreamdawn.com/sh/ is a good site for survival horror games and reviews.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Griddler

I'd say anything but Alone In The Dark, probably the most broken game I've ever played

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Moeez

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

If you can get past how creepy the townsfolk look, you're still not ready for what this game is going to do to your MIND.

No Caption Provided

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meowayne

I suppose you have played Silent Hill 2, the best survival horror game in existence, and one of the few examples of noteworthy storytelling in game? Ah, who am I kidding, of course you have. It would be ridiculous if you haven't.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Meowayne said:
"I suppose you have played Silent Hill 2, the best survival horror game in existence, and one of the few examples of noteworthy storytelling in game? Ah, who am I kidding, of course you have. It would be ridiculous if you haven't. "

Whenever Silent Hill, horror, Survival Horror, or anything remotely similar comes up, someone always says this.

I just don't understand it. Is it a long running joke or something? I found absolutely no noteworthy storytelling in Silent Hill 2 at all, i'm confused as to why this is said by almost everybody I come across, everywhere, heck everybody I know who is into games personally, also says this. I just don't get it... What's the dealio?
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Meowayne

It's a conspiracy that involves everyone but you.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Meowayne said:
"It's a conspiracy that involves everyone but you."

So it is a joke, oh well I guess that's ok then. For a moment there I thought I had missed something and that Silent Hill 2 was anything more than a simple Survival Horror game. Guess not.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tmthomsen
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Icemael
@Meowayne: No, I haven't played Silent Hill 2, the best survival horror game in existence and one of the few examples of noteworthy storytelling in games. I simply havent' been able to find a copy of it(or the other last-gen Silent Hill games).

@TMThomsen: Haven't got a gaming PC, so I can't play them.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Meowayne said:
" It's a conspiracy that involves everyone but you. "
Ok, that makes sense then. No wonder everyone on my PS2 game recommendation thread said I should get SH 2 (and ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, which are also obviously part of this conspiracy)

Does Eternal Darkness have shitty control or camera? If not, you should pick that up because it is supposedly very good despite looking like a N64 game.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Icemael

Eternal Darkness certainly doesn't look like an N64 game. The controls and the camera are pretty good, but the game isn't really scary.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By nicolenomicon

Silent Hill, all of them. Plus Project Zero (Fatal Frame in America). These are regarded as a couple of the scariest game series of all time.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Icemael said:
"Eternal Darkness certainly doesn't look like an N64 game. The controls and the camera are pretty good, but the game isn't really scary. "

This. It controls nice enough if I remember correctly, havn't played it literally since it launched. Which is odd as I bought a copy a few months back and havn't even checked the disc works yet. :S But yeah. I also remember it looking really nice.

I also remember getting stuck right before the final boss though, some door just would not open no matter what I did, and apparently the way to open it was in a previous chapter I had to do something, anyways, yeah, I was like wtf.... Couldn't continue at all and wasn't willing to start again.
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By demonbear
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_A_Drain
@demonbear said:
"@TMThomsen said:
" The Penumbra games are quite impressive. "
This.

I downloaded them on steam and i pussied out after 2 levels. Sounds like the game for you. Plus its kind of cheap. And its on sale this week on steam! "

That's a good price, but it's not as good as the weekend deal a few weeks back when it was only £3.50 for all 3 episodes lol!
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By animateria

If you think about it....

Not a lot of superb superb survivor horror games out there eh?

Sorta like horror movies. Most of them, aren't so hot.

Japanese style ones are always clunky. Fatal Frame (As called in the US) is probably the only series that has it mostly right. Though, it loses its scare after awhile. Doesn't stay fresh.

Heard good stuff about Clock Tower 3,  but I dunno how it actually plays.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eternal Darkness, go play this game now man, it was fucking amazing and played with your mind, at points I was like ".........W....T....F"

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_A_Drain
@animateria said:
"If you think about it.... Not a lot of superb superb survivor horror games out there eh?Sorta like horror movies. Most of them, aren't so hot.Japanese style ones are always clunky. Fatal Frame (As called in the US) is probably the only series that has it mostly right. Though, it loses its scare after awhile. Doesn't stay fresh.Heard good stuff about Clock Tower 3,  but I dunno how it actually plays."

Plays ok, controls can be a bit loose at times and it totally loses it's vigor when you actually switch from being a helpless character to having to fight the murderers yourself.

But it's worth a look, I didn't find it all that scary but it's pretty good.

The other problem with survival horror nowadays is that the only people really into it because they are looking for scares, are long time horror fans, and imo that's doing it wrong. Survival horror (at least proper ones) ahve emphasis on puzzle solving and survival, the horror is a bonus if done properly it's not the main attraction. Not only are there very few games that get the horror right, but the people looking for it in the first place are mostly desensitized to it so it's twice as hard to scare those people.

For example, you say Project Zero loses it's scare after a while. I damned near shit my pants playing those games and had to stop playign the 3rd one because it was giving my nightmares. Whereas traditional zombies and monsters don't affect me at all, Dead Space for example maybe made me jump a couple times but that was it, most of the tenseness I felt was because the combat was frantic and the ammo usually in low supply.

Same goes for games like Silent Hill and Resi, it's about survival, not knowing whether or not you can kill whats around the corner and facing the reality of having to avoid it rather than shoot everything in sight, just so you can survive another encounter to give you more time to think about the puzzle you're currently solving. If it just so happens those monsters are scary, then bonus imo.