I Planned on Punching A Horse in the Face...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

After four months of diligent work, I've finally hit the 40,000 gamerscore milestone!  SWEET! 

My original plans as displayed in my blog for 30,000 back in July was to break 40K with the Testikill achievement from the DLC on Stranglehold.  However, I wised up and decided to not waste $15 on shitty DLC.  I still wanted to milestone my 40K with something special, as I did with the Shadowrun Fever achievement back at 30K. 

So I purchased Darkest of Days, which is an absolutely horrific game that had a Quick Look up here on Giant Bomb.  Jeff mentioned that there was an achievement for punching a horse in the face and killing it.  I wanted to milestone 40K with that.  I seriously just couldn't keep playing that game for too long (glad I only paid $20 for it, but even THAT seems like a bit too much).  Instead, I milestoned by 40K with a worthwhile achievement like The Price of War

I would do like last time and display some of the games that made me through my past 10,000 points, but I don't bog you down with it since you can just look at my achievement progress for yourself if you feel so inclined. 

INSTEAD...let's talk about games!!! 

Not a single fucking Twinkie ANYWHERE in Left 4 Dead 2!!!
We got a couple copies of Left 4 Dead 2 here at work yesterday.  I wasn't really super psyched about this game like I was last year with the release of the first game, but it was mainly because there were other games to be hyped about.  After playing the demo, I wasn't anticipating it, as there seemed to be a ton of hardcore lag as well for no reason.  The same can be said of the retail game - absolutely fantastic game that has inexcusable lag issues.  The general flow of L4D2 feels much better than the first game throughout all the modes, as the level design has been pushed forever in a dramatic way.  The graphics are at least two-fold better than its predecessor, the dismemberment of the zombies is far more fulfilling for those looking to chop some fools up, but the biggest improvement is that there are plenty of modes to offer a ton of gameplay time.  While there are still plenty of assholes to be found online, the many different modes can prove to be incredibly challenging when you have two really good and focused teams pit against one another. 

The main new mode is Scavenge, which plays like Versus except you must collect gas cans and dump the fuel into a power generator.  Why you would have a power generator going in the middle of somewhere to attract zombies is beyond me, but whatever.  I bit the hook, it pulled me in, and it's an incredibly competitive mode that will prove whether or not you have the mettle to play the game.  Meanwhile, the Realism mode adds an extra layer of depth to the already amazing Campaign mode.  In Realism, there are no indicators to tell you when someone is being attacked by Special Infected, you cannot see their aura glowing through walls, and you aren't given any helpful hands as to where new weapons and health kits are located.  It makes the game marginally more difficult, but on the little bit of time I played today on the first level of an Expert campaign, it proved to be a massive challenge when you realize just how must you depend on those indicators to pop up for you. 

The big issue, however, is that Valve's dedicated server setup is laggy as fuck!!!  I'm to understand that switching over to local will fix this issue...but really, should we have to?  If anything, this and Modern Warfare 2 make me almost feel like there is some sort of agenda being played out to get rid of dedicated servers completely!  However, I won't turn this into one of those debates and will simply say that the lag can render the game nigh unplayable most of the time. 

Other than that...everything else is solid, man.  Great game and great fun all around.  Best Buy will have the game on sale for $35 on Black Friday, and there's NO reason to not pick it up at that time!  $35 is a goddamn STEAL! 

Fuckin eh, Cotton.  Fuckin eh.
Before we picked up those copies, I played through Modern Warfare 2 on Veteran and did a few more Spec Ops maps.  MW2 on Veteran is pretty tame, as there is no more grenade spamming.  Instead, enemies will just camp around the corners...as if you haven't had enough of that already in the multiplayer!  It seriously felt like I was walking right into one of Jigsaw's Shotgun Traps every time I walked through a doorway.  My biggest helpful suggestion to those of you planning to go through it is this:  flashbangs.  Meanwhile, I've come to realize that Spec Ops might be some of the coolest shit ever!  It's a fun little mode that offers a serious challenge on some levels.  Unfortunately, I can't ever seem to get a game going unless it's with someone else in the store, as I have yet been able to hook up through the online with anyone that isn't sitting right fucking next to me.  So annoying, and it makes me realize just how inferior Infinity Ward's online setup....grrr....I'm seriously trying to refrain from bitching about Infinity Ward.  It's just getting more and more difficult. 

I'll leave it there however.  With such a big holiday season, what have you guys been jamming on? 

Until next time...piece.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

After four months of diligent work, I've finally hit the 40,000 gamerscore milestone!  SWEET! 

My original plans as displayed in my blog for 30,000 back in July was to break 40K with the Testikill achievement from the DLC on Stranglehold.  However, I wised up and decided to not waste $15 on shitty DLC.  I still wanted to milestone my 40K with something special, as I did with the Shadowrun Fever achievement back at 30K. 

So I purchased Darkest of Days, which is an absolutely horrific game that had a Quick Look up here on Giant Bomb.  Jeff mentioned that there was an achievement for punching a horse in the face and killing it.  I wanted to milestone 40K with that.  I seriously just couldn't keep playing that game for too long (glad I only paid $20 for it, but even THAT seems like a bit too much).  Instead, I milestoned by 40K with a worthwhile achievement like The Price of War

I would do like last time and display some of the games that made me through my past 10,000 points, but I don't bog you down with it since you can just look at my achievement progress for yourself if you feel so inclined. 

INSTEAD...let's talk about games!!! 

We got a couple copies of Left 4 Dead 2 here at work yesterday.  I wasn't really super psyched about this game like I was last year with the release of the first game, but it was mainly because there were other games to be hyped about.  After playing the demo, I wasn't anticipating it, as there seemed to be a ton of hardcore lag as well for no reason.  The same can be said of the retail game - absolutely fantastic game that has inexcusable lag issues.  The general flow of L4D2 feels much better than the first game throughout all the modes, as the level design has been pushed forever in a dramatic way.  The graphics are at least two-fold better than its predecessor, the dismemberment of the zombies is far more fulfilling for those looking to chop some fools up, but the biggest improvement is that there are plenty of modes to offer a ton of gameplay time.  While there are still plenty of assholes to be found online, the many different modes can prove to be incredibly challenging when you have two really good and focused teams pit against one another. 

The main new mode is Scavenge, which plays like Versus except you must collect gas cans and dump the fuel into a power generator.  Why you would have a power generator going in the middle of somewhere to attract zombies is beyond me, but whatever.  I bit the hook, it pulled me in, and it's an incredibly competitive mode that will prove whether or not you have the mettle to play the game.  Meanwhile, the Realism mode adds an extra layer of depth to the already amazing Campaign mode.  In Realism, there are no indicators to tell you when someone is being attacked by Special Infected, you cannot see their aura glowing through walls, and you aren't given any helpful hands as to where new weapons and health kits are located.  It makes the game marginally more difficult, but on the little bit of time I played today on the first level of an Expert campaign, it proved to be a massive challenge when you realize just how must you depend on those indicators to pop up for you. 

The big issue, however, is that Valve's dedicated server setup is laggy as fuck!!!  I'm to understand that switching over to local will fix this issue...but really, should we have to?  If anything, this and Modern Warfare 2 make me almost feel like there is some sort of agenda being played out to get rid of dedicated servers completely!  However, I won't turn this into one of those debates and will simply say that the lag can render the game nigh unplayable most of the time. 

Other than that...everything else is solid, man.  Great game and great fun all around.  Best Buy will have the game on sale for $35 on Black Friday, and there's NO reason to not pick it up at that time!  $35 is a goddamn STEAL! 

Before we picked up those copies, I played through Modern Warfare 2 on Veteran and did a few more Spec Ops maps.  MW2 on Veteran is pretty tame, as there is no more grenade spamming.  Instead, enemies will just camp around the corners...as if you haven't had enough of that already in the multiplayer!  It seriously felt like I was walking right into one of Jigsaw's Shotgun Traps every time I walked through a doorway.  My biggest helpful suggestion to those of you planning to go through it is this:  flashbangs.  Meanwhile, I've come to realize that Spec Ops might be some of the coolest shit ever!  It's a fun little mode that offers a serious challenge on some levels.  Unfortunately, I can't ever seem to get a game going unless it's with someone else in the store, as I have yet been able to hook up through the online with anyone that isn't sitting right fucking next to me.  So annoying, and it makes me realize just how inferior Infinity Ward's online setup....grrr....I'm seriously trying to refrain from bitching about Infinity Ward.  It's just getting more and more difficult. 

I'll leave it there however.  With such a big holiday season, what have you guys been jamming on? 

Until next time...piece.
RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By RipTheVeins

Nice Zombieland reference.  That is all the productive conversation I can muster.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA

I've played like 3 missions in Veteran for MW2 (haven't really had time for more), and I have to agree, it is really easy.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

I still need to finish Heavenly Sword after I get that last achievement in Viva Pinata for the 360.  I'll be playing Assassin's Creed again before I get to the second one.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Xandurson

NO TWINKIES?!!!!!!!! Well there better be some kind of reference! Maybe you haven't been looking hard enough.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

Modern Warfare 2 was surprisingly easy on Veteran (and when I say easy, I don't mean run-through-the-level-without-dying easy). I plan on getting Borderlands Friday. We'll have to play Jakob

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
@GamerGeek360 said:
" NO TWINKIES?!!!!!!!! Well there better be some kind of reference! Maybe you haven't been looking hard enough. "
Oh, I looked, sir.  I did find Gnome Chompski, however, and I am glad to announce that he made it safely through the Dark Carnival.  = D
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing significant lag in L4D2.  It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it does make it a hell of a lot harder.  C'mon, Valve, get on that shit.  The first game seemed to work a lot better on day one!

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jmrwacko
@RipTheVeins said:
" Nice Zombieland reference.  That is all the productive conversation I can muster. "
Yeah, my eye jumped right to the twinkie and I started thinking of Zombieland before I had even read the caption.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
@jmrwacko said:
" @RipTheVeins said:
" Nice Zombieland reference.  That is all the productive conversation I can muster. "
Yeah, my eye jumped right to the twinkie and I started thinking of Zombieland before I had even read the caption. "
Just for the record, I finally saw Zombieland on Monday.  My eye kept jumping right to Emma Stone every time she was in a scene.  I think I missed most of that movie...but the Twinkie bit is classic!
RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By RipTheVeins
@jakob187: I was honestly expecting a Zombieland reference because of Dark Carnival, but you took it to the next level... but now my off-topic post has become too off-topic, even for me.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
@RipTheVeins said:
" @jakob187: I was honestly expecting a Zombieland reference because of Dark Carnival, but you took it to the next level... but now my off-topic post has become too off-topic, even for me. "
Dark Carnival was too obvious, sir!  LAWL 

I do, however, want to expand a bit on Left 4 Dead 2.  I re-read what I wrote, and I really want people to understand that the game is seriously great...that the only problem here is the instability of the servers leading to lag for no good reason.  I know that I didn't have to spend my own money for the copy, but I would totally have spent it if I needed to.  That game improves on a LOT of stuff that I had a problem with in Left 4 Dead.  I like that the Versus mode matches last quite a while (although with as many people that leave and join, it seems others don't feel the same way).  The thing about L4D2 - for me at least - is that the Versus mode seriously feels like a test of your endurance.  Can you take it?  Can you make it?  Can you survive?  They did a GREAT job, and the three new Special Infected really take that to a whole separate level.  Only the Charger feels like a primary type of unit, while the Spitter and Jockey are completely support roles...but man, they are GREAT support roles.  As a Jockey, you jump on someone's head, steer them towards the Spitter's acid, and while they are there...a hunter pounces them.  The massive amount of damage is amazing, and you really feel like you've accomplished something. 

This game, more than the previous, is DEFINITELY about teamwork.  You will NOT make it far without working together, as it's too easy to pick someone off and just pummel them.  I proved this in Scavenge on Parish, as I was able to slam someone with the Charger as he strayed too far away.  Slammed him into a wall, which did some initial damage, and while he thought he was smart for going out of the way while the others were getting gas cans somewhere else, he got killed very quickly. 

Scavenge is definitely a highlight, and it is something that easily keep people occupied for hours on end. 

I really wish, however, that they wouldn't shut down a server just because people are dicks and can't endure, so they quit out and fuck you out of your win.