If the UFC buys G4

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sumbog

So the UFC may not be renewing it's TV contract with Spike in 2012 (who's channel broadcasts UFC shows such as The Ultimate Fighter) and has been in talks with Comcast over purchasing G4 in order to broadcast their programs. I was on the Sherdog forums (an MMA site) and most people were pretty excited about the thought of a potentially MMA focused channel, but I would like to know what the people of Giantbomb thought about this. What show would you want the UFC to keep on? would you still watch G4 if the UFC purchased it? And what do you think the future of the tech shows are?

(if you havn't heard this, read second paragraph here: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Pending-UFCs-Move-Bellator-Likely-Replacement-on-Spike-33045 )

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sopranosfan

I have DirecTV I can't watch G4.

Se7enthSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Se7enthSamurai

I'd watch it, but for the occasional live UFC show, then avoid all other content just like I did with Spike.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By jkuc316

I don't have G4 here, but I do have X-Play here. And I don't want X-Play to disappear

John_Lawlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By John_Lawlz

Hopefully x-play stays, thats all that really matters to me. Sure they aren't what they used to be, but they're still pretty good.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By BonOrbitz

As long as they keep X-Play, whatever... I don't care for UFC in the slightest but at least there will be something else to watch besides hours and hours and hours of Cops and Campus PD.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mosespippy

The last time I watched G4 Call For Help was still a show. This isn't going get me to watch again. I want my Tech TV back.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JasonR86

I don't watch G4 now.  Nothing would change.  G4...G4 never changes.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

i hope that doesn't happen, i don't get G4 on my tv here. i don't watch G4 all that much anymore. it would be pretty crazy to see that happen. i hope that spike still picks it up. if G4 does get it, spike would get another MMA show. o well.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Chummy8

I don't watch G4 anymore.  After the TechTV merger, quality went downhill fast.  But I joined the forums and have been posting on the OT boards over there for years.  Definitely the best thing about G4 and that's not saying much. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By crusader8463

I don't care about UFC and the only G4 content I watch is Feedback on their website. So as long as that doesn't affect the website they can do what they like.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By sixghost

Hopefully they blow G4 the fuck up.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Branthog

It's like they've managed to find the perfect confluence of things I don't give a fuck about -- UFC and G4TV.

Tanikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Tanikaze

i hope they buy it and get rid of every single piece of content currently on G4. They should not have any video game content on the channel. I want there to be an obviously empty space for someone to fill in terms of video game media so we can start over and maybe not get something as bad as G4.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They will keep both AotS and X-Play because the demographic that watches those shows is the same one UFC goes after. Plus, what the fuck else would they have to air?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@Manhattan_Project said:

They will keep both AotS and X-Play because the demographic that watches those shows is the same one UFC goes after. Plus, what the fuck else would they have to air?

Cops.
MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By MayorFeedback

Har har at both G4 and UFC.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By gla55jAw

Attack of the Show!

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By MrMazz

It would be a quasi smart move since they can keep them in place and have place to shell out all the content they are trying to put out. They're talking about flyweights i love me some 125'ers but cards are stuffed to the gills as it is and they already max'd out on PPV. So that would mean more live shows which would be easier if they owned a outlet and chopped the licensing fee down. Still DW might explode trying to micromanage everything

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hot_Karl

Oh god, I don't want to live in a world where Impact Wrestling is the only quasi-sport program airing on Spike TV. 

EDIT: Not that I don't consider UFC a sport...the opposite, in fact. Still. Impact Wrestling. Yikes.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By plop1920

Would finally complete G4's transition from geek channel to dudebro channel