If You Could Do It Over Again Knowing What You Know Now...

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By PhilESkyline

I'm not talking about life but rather your choice in gaming console. 

If the 360 (120 HD) and PS3 Slim (120 HD) were released on the same day at launch for the same price that they are now ($299.99) and the Wii was ($199.99)  

Knowing what you know now about each console, game selection, membership fees, hardware, online features, and software features.

Would your purchase be different, the same, or nothing at all? Which one would you get and why? 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PhilESkyline

I'm not talking about life but rather your choice in gaming console. 

If the 360 (120 HD) and PS3 Slim (120 HD) were released on the same day at launch for the same price that they are now ($299.99) and the Wii was ($199.99)  

Knowing what you know now about each console, game selection, membership fees, hardware, online features, and software features.

Would your purchase be different, the same, or nothing at all? Which one would you get and why? 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Probably exactly the same, since quite a few of my favorite games ever are on both the ones I currently own.

Nekthand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nekthand

Why only get one?

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By jkz

The same...I've got all 3, and even currently, I would prefer to get the 360 first, then the PS3, and finally the Wii

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DystopiaX

i wouldnt have bought my wii, which has been collecting dust for a while now.

warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By warp

I wouldve purchased a PS3 instead of the 360.  The media features, blu ray and games like Uncharted make me angry I went with the xbox, especially since it red ringed on me a year ago. It doesnt help that I have a high def tv now which I didnt have when I bought the xbox in the first place. Oh well...

I never wouldve bought a Wii for all the play it gets. Luckily that was a gift. 

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By DanielJW

I got a Wii right off because I was always a Nintendo kid. It was fun but my love for it died down quickly. As I came to Giant Bomb I got far more in to video games again and started playing more games on the Wii. I was having fun, but once again my love for it dwindled. I often went in to my brothers room while he was out to play the games that I'd read so much about on Giant Bomb, but when he left to University I made the executive decision that  I needed a new console. So I got my PS3 and have thoroughly enjoyed it since.  

Given what I know now, I'd have gotten a PS3 from the get go. The Wii is a lot of fun, but it doesn't have the sticking power for me. The PS3 has much more to offer me the way I like to play games. I in no way regret getting a Wii, I just wish I'd gone with a PS3 first.  

And that is my story.

Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tirrandir

If they had been at those prices at launch, I probably would have waited for some games that I wanted to play and then picked up all three for a song.  I did wait a while on 360 price drops, and the slim convinced me to get a PS3, and while I got my wii on launch day (and really don't regret it, current nintendo status notwithstanding) I would probably still have one.  Some great 2D stuff and No More Heroes was fantastic.  

But yeah, sticking to just one?  Failure.  I'm an adult, I have a job.  I pick D) all of the above.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PhilESkyline
@Video_Game_King:  Which console was that?
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By choffy21

PlayStation 3 would have been my first choice. I like my 360 as well, but I've found myself enjoying PlayStation 3 exclusives more (as of late) than 360 games. inFamous, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted and Uncharted 2 have really tickled my fancy this year. The only big 360 exclusive I've really enjoyed this year was Halo 3 ODST. I can't wait for Splinter Cell Conviction, but owning a console for only one more game coming out isn't really worth it, now is it?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
@PhilESkyline: 

The ones that aren't the PS3. I'd get that, but I don't have the money.
Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hughes

I was ready to say yeah, then I found out the question wasn't about life.

So no.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Branthog

I would still have bought all three. I just wouldn't have had the expectation of actually enjoying my Wii. I'm glad I own the Wii, because there are a few games I might enjoy getting around to, someday. And it's nice to have around when people visit. My sister visited earlier in the year and had a blast playing some stuff on it. I haven't actually turned it on and used it in over 18 months, though. I keep buying games for it though (well, rarely)... I just don't make playing it a priority. I just kind of own it, because it's "yet another console'... but it has given me the least value return of just about any device - gaming or otherwise - that I've ever owned.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By breadfan

I wouldn't change anything, I'm content with just a 360.  

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'd stick with my PS3 mainly.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mrfizzy

I would do exactly what i did. Buy a 360 shortly after launch, and then a PS3 when they dropped the price and went slim. This is because the 360 (in my opinion) has had better games on average than the PS3. The only thing that might make me think twice about the 360 is the RROD issue. 

MrKart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By MrKart

If I could only choose one? 360, despite it's many technical faults and the fact that you have to pay for online, I enjoy its exclusives more at LANs and such. I would have still bought a Wii at some point though, as much as it collects dust now and is a giant paperweight the Wii was worth it for Brawl and Galaxy alone. And knowing when I know NOW, would have gotten a PS3 second, after the 360, but at launch I DEFINITELY don't regret not having one.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bubahula
@Br3adfan said:
"I wouldn't change anything, I'm content with just a 360.   "

this.
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fbomb

I would stick with my choice to get a PS3. I probably wouldn't have gotten a PSP, but I don't dislike my Wii either. PS3's BluRay is a nice bonus, and I really don't care much about online multi-player or most of the XBOX exclusives. The strengths and exclusives of the PS3 outweigh those for the 360 for me, so knowing what I know now, I don't regret my decision.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrSnow

I would proberly get a ps3 cause of xbox live costing money!!

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Red12b

PS3, I still don't have an Xbox, used to but sold it, I want another one for Forza and Ace combat, ARGH, Damn exclusives....

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nanikore

I would get a PS3 first, and then get a 360. Just like before.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By Atlas

I'd be much more tempted by the PS3, but I'd still go Xbox 360.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Diamond

Well since I own all the consoles and never sold or rebought any of them, no.  There's a lot of games I feel were a waste to buy though.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Whisperkill

I would have never bought the wii
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bigandtasty

I would reconsider the PS3, but I guess having the majority of my friends on 360 would win out.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

I have two of the three consoles.  I picked up my 360 a couple of months after launch, and a year later, I acquired my PS3.  I'd do it the same exact way if I had to choose.  My 360 provided me with a lot of great fun during those initial years.  Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Dead or Alive 4, Call of Duty 2, and more.  Crackdown was my favorite game of 2007.   Late in February 2007, I went to a Gamestop to buy a Wii.  The hype was in full swing and Twilight Princess looked good.  Well, this was when finding a lake monster to loan you three-fifty was easier than finding a Wii.  It was also when the rumors that that Sony was planning on switching to a software-only backwards compatible sku.  So, I bought the PS3.  If there had been any Wiis to be found on store shelves at the time, I'd be a Wii owner now.  But, fate had other plans.  The first year, my PS3 was mostly silent.  I enjoyed Resistance: Fall of Man, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and fell strong for Uncharted: Drakes Fortune.  However, I think I logged more hours watching blu-ray movies from Netflix, than playing actual games.  But, slowly overtime, my usage of both consoles equalized.  And, then when I really started to sample PS2 games and taking advantage of the PS Media Server, my PS3 became my prime entertainment console.  Of course, this doesn't mean I've abandoned my 360, it's just right now there is nothing I need to play on it.  Halo ODST is on my Gamefly queue, though and early 2010 looks like I'll be racking up a lot of hours in Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction. 

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I would still buy them all like I did the first time. I regret nothing!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Meowayne

Bought a 360 (early on) and a Wii (launch day), don't regret either of the two purchases.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zeforgotten

I would do it all again except for one thing. 
Buying the Wii at launch. 

Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lamashtu

Though I'm largely a PC gamer, I would have still got either an Xbox or a PS3 purely for the sake of the Assassin's Creed series and for a bunch of fighting games (SFIV, BlazBlue, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, etc).  

I seriously don't get the bad rap the Wii gets. Over the years the Wii seems like an increasingly compelling purchase for me, with games like Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, Madworld, Muramasa, Raving Rabbids Go Home, and the soon to be released Metroid: Other M (nevermind the fact that I can do without all the Activision rhythm games that come out every two weeks).
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pibo47

If i could only get one? 360. Two? PS3 and 360.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By Cerza

No. I used to have all three and while the Wii was largely a let down and does a good job of collecting dust in the closet now, and I ended up encountering hardware issue after hardware issue with the 360 to the point that I said fuck this it's not worth it, I had a lot of great times too and I would not want anything to change that.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Milkman

I have all 3 and I'm fine with that decision.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Evilsbane

I would still get a 360 first. Mainly because if I got to replay all the great games on the 360 Again that would be awesome.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fwylo

I would have bought 5 wii's at launch and sold them on ebay.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By 71Ranchero

If they had released at the currant prices and with the larger hard drives I would get 360 AND ps3. If I had to pick just one, I would get 360 or skip them altogether and just save up for a pc.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By bwooduhs

I would get a 360.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Griddler

PS3.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By luce

I had all consoles at one time (despite me being poor) 

But if i could do it over again..i would've gotten a Ps3 first instead of an Xbox360..but i'd still eventually get a wii because as a long time nintendo (specifically zelda) fan, i thought it was important for me to play through Twilight Princess and be thoroughly disappointed.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ZmillA

I got a 360 and I would do it again. Too many awesome games, dead rising, other awesome games, dead rising.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By Hamst3r

If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would still just be a PC gamer, though I'd probably be even more adamant about getting people to switch to PC gaming.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#43  Edited By sjschmidt93

I'm glad my first next-gen console was one that doesn't just consist of party games or one that breaks every few weeks.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Bought the Wii the week after it came out and I would never do that again.  I've sold it for the 360 I have now and I'm happy about that.  If all of the consoles that are available now would have come out on the same day, it would be PS3 Slim for sure!  No paying for online, most of the games that I play on the 360 are available on the PS3, most of my school mates have PS3s, better exclusives...  Man, if only the PS3 wasn't so damn expensive when I made my final decision.

Remy3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Remy3k

I think things would have shaken out the same, I bought the 360 and ps3 more or less at launch.  The 360 has proven itself one of the finest consoles ever, and the ps3 well ...hasn't.  I like my ps3 but honestly it's a way to buy psp games and play pesona 4.  I have not purchased a bluray outside the ones I got for free, that should tell you something.  I haven't played a ps3 game since infamous came out, and before that valkyria chronicles.  I'm rather pissed at how vastly improved the 360 became after I paid a premium for nothing.  But the perils of being an early adopter I suppose.  Also lol  @ actually buying a wii ever.

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Spike94

PS3, son. 
Reason: Keep up with the consoles, and great games and stuff... 
:D
orionx65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By orionx65

I would go with the PS3 (currently own a 360/PC). I've been very happy with my 360 but i recently went over what exclusive games are available to the 360 and PS3 and which of them i'm interested in. There are very few exclusives to 360 i'm interested in, and upcoming ones (alan wake, mass effect 2 and splinter cell conviction) are not full exclusives i can also get them for my PC which can run them without a problem. 

So as a PC gamer i would have gotten a PS3 if the price was lower back then, because i feel that many of the X360 "exclusives" are also available for the PC while the PS3 seems to have many more unique games.

Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Frederik

I would probably have bought a Bass Pod XT Live and waited 'til I could find a cheaper used PS3... That said I'm extremely happy with my PS3, I live with a couple of my friends and combined we've got the whole new generation and when I see the xBox360's HUGE power adapter, listens to the noise it makes and consideres that I would probably have payed the price difference on xbox live I'm happy with my choice!

No Caption Provided