I'm worried about Fallout 3 :(

OlDrtyBstrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By OlDrtyBstrd

I'm very concerned about Fallout 3's combat system...particularly the part where you use "combat points" to lock on to your target and pray for a hit. It just seems to suck a lot of the fun and challenge out of what should be a real time action rpg. I do realize that you can still do the regular first person action combat; but still, whose going to use that combat system when they can witness there enemy being brutally torn apart by a sniper bullet in slow mo....wait a second...when I think about it that aspect of the combat system sounds rad. Damn, I'm torn.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope that they keep the system in the game, but make it so you can't use it so often that it makes the game too easy.

Well that my opinion, but what do you guys think about the game?

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Okay, I used to feel that way, been then I saw the G4 demo and watched as a teddy bear wasted a dude in slow-mo

Fallout 3 = Must own

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#3  Edited By Soap

I wouldn't worry about it, even if you don't like it at the end of the day it's just a video game man. Simply look the other way and pretend it doesn't exist... like fans of the Highlander did with films 2 to 4 and star wars fans have learnt to do with episodes 1, 2 and 3. :D

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By twenty0ne

I probably won't use VATS anyways.

JethroVegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By JethroVegas

The E3 demo looked really bland to me.

Mute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mute

i've never played a fallout game before but im curious why people aren't liking it cuz i think it looks ok. can someone explain?

Deculture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Deculture

The trailers would have been very off-putting for me, but I pretty much expected something like this anyway. Got a very cartoonish feel from the trailer...

I'll probably pick it up since I'm a huge fan of the series but I doubt I'll be calling it GOTY 2008 or anything.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By epic_pets

Yea, not looking that great so far

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By tomance

From all of the e3 demos I've seen it's looking pretty solid. I wouldn't be worried.

Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vecta

No, its just a way to please the followers of the Fallout series. And there is a limit to how often you can use it, you have AP points and each attack in VATS uses a certain amount of those points up (example being 3 shots from the sniper in the E3 demos exhausts all of his AP points), when you run out of points you have to switch to real time until they recharge.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tanuki

I dunno.  At first I was excited for Fallout 3.  But since they're trying to appease both worlds, (Real time FPS combat and turn based VATS) I feel like neither will be good.  VATS is already feeling 'gimmicky' to me.  I'm still going to get it... But I'm really starting to get worried.  

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By PenguinNerd

I was really looking forward to Fallout 3 but the moment I saw that gameplay at E3 I was just like uh oh.  But I still have to see more to make a final decision.  Hopefully it turns out good though.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DarkLegend

Don't worry about a thing, the game will be epic.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By irishjohn

I think Bethesda are going to rock Fallout 3 out, there's nothing to worry about.

Dovey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dovey

At least you don't have to worry about you classification board banning it for sale in the country, and then knowing you gonna pay through the roof to get it imported from another country, cause at the end of the day you will do whatever it takes to play the thing

thejoker34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thejoker34

it looks great, besides i think they'll allow u to be shot in the sequences cause he said lets see what happens any way who cares???????? its still fun!

Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vecta
Dovey said:
"At least you don't have to worry about you classification board banning it for sale in the country, and then knowing you gonna pay through the roof to get it imported from another country, cause at the end of the day you will do whatever it takes to play the thing"
Its kinda like cheaper to import the game from overseas to Australia then it is to actually buy it in Australia if it came out here.
NeoTheta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NeoTheta

I think that VATs will certainly have limitations. They know that it'll get too easy if you can use it all the time, so I'm sure they have something to keep it in check. Likewise, with the MS Conf. demo, and the G4 demo, I'm sure they had unlimited skill points on, so they could show off VATs as much as needed.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

ReTarDedFisHy was really hyped for this game until the E3 showing. He was unimpressed :(
He really really hopes they can pull it together.
Otherwise he'd have to take it off his wishlist! Sad face :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh I wouldn't worry too much, either way its going to be a great game, no denying!

runk3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By runk3n

not to impressed yet..  doesn't look as good as the hype is at the moment.. hopefully that will change though.

XthecroX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By XthecroX

for all of you talking about VATS being "gimicky" i assume you're talking about the dismemberment? This is not necessarily a a part of the VATS system, but a chosen Perk there will be many others, and i guess if you don't like blood, you could just get the one that increases teddy bear drop frequency or something...

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SolemnOaf

During the demonstration(s) of Fallout 3 I noticed that the character they built for the demo was really combat oriented.  Just a ton of points in weapons proficiency and combat skills, and from the sounds of it there will be more freedom to choose how to tackle the game than simply choosing the combat route.  I totally trust Bethesda, and like an earlier post said I think Fallout 3 will absolutely rock.

MSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By MSG

I don't think it's game that can possibly demo very well.  Like Oblivion a lot of its awesomeness is gonna come from those little moments, like killing a bunch of wolves and letting them roll down a hill. And of course the character building and customization is also really important, but if the demo had been Todd Howard fiddling in a menu for 5 minutes then blowing a dude up with the mini-nuke you guys would still be disappointed. 

It's the old greater than the sum of its parts adage. If you have a game that's meant to be played for at least 100 hours, how the hell can you possibly create a 5 minute demo that will demonstrate to people just how great the experience can be.

Avatar image for bread_or_decide
bread_or_decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bread_or_decide

If all it takes is to show a teddy bear killing someone to get gamers excited its  a sad day indeed.

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By OroJackson

The Fallout Franchise is one of the most beloved in game history, and any change from the norm will not sit well with fallout fans, yet I still trust Bethesda and what they will do with the game. I have high expectations for this game and I hope it reaches them.

Kaneda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kaneda
H4xlike said:
"The VATs is a useless gimmick, tis a pathetic way off Bethesda trying to please Fallout fans.  Unfortunately Bethesda has little talent and failed horrible.  Hurray for shallow Action "rpgs".  Dont know why people are looking forward to a shooter that will have abysmal combat. 
"
And this opinion is based on what?
Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Aaron_G

I was at first, but seeing the game being played it looks like it will be hell of a blast to play.

Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Locke
OlDrtyBstrd said:
"I suck a lot of the fun and challenge out of what should be a real time action rpg. "
I'm sure by real time action you mean turn based. 
sizu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sizu

I think Fallout 3 will be fine.  I didn't see, read or hear anything come out of E3 which makes me think the game will disappoint.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31  Edited By giyanks22

I saw the stage demo, and honestly wasn't really thrilled. The shooting looked over dramatic. When I play an RPG I want a good mix of Story and Action. It looked like they were really just focusing on making it fun to shoot someone in the head. I love the dialog portion of RPG's and it didn't look to be like that.

MSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By MSG

The shooting is just the one portion of the game they chose to highlight in the demo.  Fallout 3 is in no way a shooter first, the shooting elements just happen to be the easiest to show off and most visually stimulating part of the game, which is why I'm sure they were chosen for the demo.  If you're really concerned about shooting being the main emphasis, go read a preview of the game.  I'm sure they'll talk about the hour or so you spend in the beginning of the game creating your character's look, stats, and skills through the process of growing up.  No guns there, just story and character development.

Avatar image for theogvandalvideo
TheOGVandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheOGVandalvideo

Its Bethesda. Bethesda makes great games, they just don't always make (faithful) games. After watching a live demonstration that was done for...joystick?.. I was thuroughly impressed with the ammount of detail, the gore of the VAT system, and the overall gameplay. I was, however, GREATLY dissapointed in the lack of faithful Fallout feeling. The developer time and time again kept talking down the importance of story, which is central to a good Fallout game. I'm sure Bethesda will make an AAA title with this one, but it simply won't be Fallout.

Developer from the live walkthrough : "Whenever we change something from the originals we feel like we will get shot". Then don't call it Fallout 3. Call it Fallout: Oblivion with guns.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Colonel_Cool
MSG said:
"The shooting is just the one portion of the game they chose to highlight in the demo.  Fallout 3 is in no way a shooter first, the shooting elements just happen to be the easiest to show off and most visually stimulating part of the game, which is why I'm sure they were chosen for the demo.  If you're really concerned about shooting being the main emphasis, go read a preview of the game.  I'm sure they'll talk about the hour or so you spend in the beginning of the game creating your character's look, stats, and skills through the process of growing up.  No guns there, just story and character development.
"
It is looking a lot like they are making shooting the main emphasis though. They haven't really shown us any situations where you can complete quests and stuff otherwise. Character interaction won't be as deep as the first Fallout games anyway, and a lot of the choice is gone in dialogue trees. I would probably expect this game to be more on the shooter side than an RPG.
Deculture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Deculture
Dovey said:
"At least you don't have to worry about you classification board banning it for sale in the country, and then knowing you gonna pay through the roof to get it imported from another country, cause at the end of the day you will do whatever it takes to play the thing"
Hahaha. Australia I take it? What's the reason behind the draconian laws anyway?
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BlackWaterCO
Aaron_G said:
"I was at first, but seeing the game being played it looks like it will be hell of a blast to play.
"

Thats how I felt at first
Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Why_So_Serious

Fallout 3 looks great. The vids from E3 gave me total confidence that the developers know what they are doing. The teddy bear thing was amazing along with all the other aspects of the game as well.

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vaultboy

The game looks atrocious whether or not it's a Fallout game.  The game only suffers more for trying to pass itself as Fallout.

The E3 gameplay video made the game look like absolute shit.  The graphics are sub par, the art design misses the mark, and the combat looks worse than terrible.  Not to mention that the death animations are absolute rubbish.  I also thought the "I could hack the turret" comment is likely a good example of our role-playing options (in other words, not much).  Other interviews where they clearly miss the mark about what constitutes "Fallout humor" are also sad.  Really, decapitating someone and talking to their head is teh funny?

It sounds like the developers have no clue what their focus is.  Sure, it might be a labor of love for the Fallout setting, but the game is so confused about what it is that it's going to be an epic fail.  They can't decide whether it should be turn-based or real-time, so they add both.  It's not Oblivion and it's not Fallout, instead it's an Oblivion-Fallout mix that seems to have no clue which aspects to take from where and often combines both with the end result being terrible.

Rually

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rually

I was concerned when I heard the game play was changing to a FPS style.

But hopefully it will turn out good. I loved the originals.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rually said:
"

I was concerned when I heard the game play was changing to a FPS style.

But hopefully it will turn out good. I loved the originals.

"

Just wondering but is there a TPS view? Seeing Oblvion had the option.... or would that be conflicting with the gameplay too much? I have yet to watch all the vids (slow net) so I am a bit lost. :(
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wizdom

It amaze's me how people that haven't even played the game yet, can say its sucks, seriously people need to stop with this silly stuff, every preview outside of Eurogamer has been positive about the game, What makes Eurogamer gods know? They have no cred  at all, personally I think the game is going to be amazing from what I have seen of the game.