LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

No Caption Provided
Seriously, is anyone else tired of fucking guns? I'm tired of fucking guns. 

That's why I made this topic, to make you, the writhing masses, aware of each and everyone of my current distastes.  

This is the important part, write this shit down. 

I mean look at the "best" games of the past few years. Almost all of them are fucking shooters. Just looking at this pile of 360 games next to me I can only pick out a few that aren't fucking shooters. 

BUT NO, YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.

It isn't about the guns. Those are getting quite boring, yes, but it's THE SAME FUCKING STORY OVER AND OVER AND OVER. 

All these fucking game developers are thinking like movie directors, they are just giving you a controllable camera so they can take control away. They aren't experimenting, they aren't telling stories in new more exciting ways. Remember when you got to the last level in Braid and shit reversed and you were like oh damn shit just got real? 

REMEMBER HOW REAL SHIT GOT?

I don't get that kind of excitement out of games anymore, it's just rehashing the same basic concepts. What's the point of having a whole new medium to explore if you aren't going to break new ground every once and awhile? Just look at this year's calendar so far, it's riddled with sequels doing the same shit over and over. 

I'M NOT EVEN EXCITED ABOUT PORTAL 2 ANYMORE. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BIG A DEAL THIS.

I'm just so done with all this bull shit. The only game I can even remember carrying about right now is BattleBlock Theater, and only because of the gameplay. 

The problem is gaming is a two way street. Unlike every other creative medium games don't have to express something to be valid. That isn't to say the movies and books and shit don't serve completely utilitarian purposes sometimes, but we don't call those creative endeavors they are simply products. But games are different, they don't have to communicate anything to the player to still be grouped into that category. The venn diagram is three dimensional at that point, it has a bunch of prongs and fractals and shit. 

But I digress, fuck video games when is the next SMT coming out? 

No Caption Provided
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Clinkz

I never was excited for portal 2.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By benpack

I don't play a lot of shooters so no, not yet tired of guns.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By melcene
@GlenTennis said:
" I don't play a lot of shooters so no, not yet tired of guns. "
Yeah... this for me too. 

If you're finding your collection is that inundated with guns, maybe it's more of your choices in games.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By luce
Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Cwaff

Would you be happier if portal 2 had a portal making sword?

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Vorbis

Shogun 2 Total War is out next month, try Bows instead. 

The polite answer would be, perhaps you need to try some different genres.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Try avoiding the Modern Borefares and Boredomlands (GOTY LOLOL, GREAT TASTE JEFF!)

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zeforgotten
@Cwaff said:
" Would you be happier if portal 2 had a portal making sword? "
Some dude should just make a quick mod (as in, it takes about a minute or two) for Portal 2 where you have a wand instead of the "Gun"
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeeGee
@SaltyPancakes:  Mind bullets, man.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Slaker117

Maybe you should stop fucking guns? I don't think that they are make for that.

But yeah, kind of. I don't think we should have less games with guns though, just more without them.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By amir90

What is your point?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By toowalrus

...Does Bulletstorm have guns in it? If so, then I'm not quite tired of guns just yet.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kjellm87

I agree that first person games and those stories can get stale from time to time, 
shooting stuff is always fun  though

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

I'm still diggin' ze firearms.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Azteck

I'll show you a fucking-gun.
*zip*

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Elazul

What if we just replaced them all with radios? Giant, bullet launching radios.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't a lot of shooters but that's because they're all the same and that's all the market is producing it seems.

I was so fucking happy with games like Monster Hunter, Metroid Other M or Dragon Age.
The last shooter I really, like really fucking really really, enjoyed was Borderlands.

I used to play lots of games no matter the genre, but all the shooters feel the same to me, or too bland/cloned to even bother with other titles then the top dogs.

Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ComradeKritstov

There are plenty of games that aren't Call of Duty. Also, how exactly are the "best" games of the past years shooters? According to who?

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By metalmoog

I can see the OP's point. Most of the big blockbusters have been shooters since CoD4 exploded onto the world. Maybe that's because that game was so insanely popular it got a shitload of peeps to start loving shooters, I know it started my shooter addiction, something that even N64 Goldeneye failed to do.

I'm getting shooter fatigue now too, and have started going back and doing a lot more single players as of late. Which makes me wonder if the FPS Genre is so popular currently because of their online multiplayer components, and how they excel in that area compared to other genres of games. Few are hardly as easy to pick up and play with friends for hours of brainless fun as a shooter.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fwylo

Crossbows ftw.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#23  Edited By BeachThunder

What guns are there in portal? The portal gun - the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device? That's a bit of a stretch of the definition of a gun =/

Anyway, I believe a similar thread was made a while back about non-violent games. There have been plenty of good games released recently that don't involve guns...now ease up on the caps lock and play Amnesia.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
@SaltyPancakes said:
"But how will I shoot things without guns?! "

Use mind bullets like a real man does.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By X19

Portal Gun, Gravity Gun and Crossbows that shoot crazy shit are still cool with me. I would like devs to experiment with guns that don't fire bullets or lazers.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BigLemon
@ComradeKritstov said:
" There are plenty of games that aren't Call of Duty. Also, how exactly are the "best" games of the past years shooters? According to who? "
TO WHOOOOOMMM
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Marcsman

This is my weapon 
this is my gun 
One is for shooting 
One is for fun

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By TobbRobb

Tired of guns? The sleekest way to kill someone? You're insane I say! INSANE!

Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ComradeKritstov
@BigLemon said:
" @ComradeKritstov said:
" There are plenty of games that aren't Call of Duty. Also, how exactly are the "best" games of the past years shooters? According to who? "
TO WHOOOOOMMM "

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I disagree, I think more games need guns. 

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By Little_Socrates

So is your real problem the guns, or the way stories are told around them? Because you should really check out Deadly Premonition, Red Dead Redemption, and Mass Effect if you want to see gun stories told in a totally new way. 

If you're legitimately sick of the guns (something about the aiming, maybe?), go with Super Meat Boy, Amnesia, Pac-Man CEDX, God of War III, or LIMBO. There, a big stack of games that came out LAST YEAR with no guns. There's other experiences out there, you need to just stop buying generic stuff.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#32  Edited By KillyDarko

If you like the first-person perspective, but don't like guns anymore, maybe try Amnesia? If you like Survival Horror games, that is :)

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bwmcmaste
@KillyDarko said:
" If you like the first-person perspective, but don't like guns anymore, maybe try Amnesia? If you like Survival Horror games, that is :) "
Or this: 
No Caption Provided
jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#34  Edited By jacksukeru

Braid isn't even that old so it's not like exciting non-gun games are a thing of the past.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BigLemon
@ComradeKritstov said:

" @BigLemon said:

" @ComradeKritstov said:

TO WHOOOOOMMM "

"
hahaha yessss that is exactly how I said it.
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aronman789

Guns can be fun in moderation, I stick to my RPGs most of the time, but when I feel like just shooting things, I load up a shooter and shoot things, when I feel like commanding an army against another one, I load up an RTS, ect.
Just get more variety in your game diet and you should be fine.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I wouldn't say I'm sick of guns but I definitely am of third person shooters (and first person, to a lesser degree) but I simply don't play them.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#38  Edited By Grumbel
@BeachThunder said:

" What guns are there in portal? The portal gun - the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device? That's a bit of a stretch of the definition of a gun =/

Not really. Yeah, you don't shoot directly at enemies with it, but when it comes to knocking out a turret it really doesn't feel all that much different then a regular FPS. In other FPS I might throw a grenade instead, throw around an exploding barrel with a gravity gun or use a rocket launcher and while all of that is different from an up front attack with an machine gun, it is very similar to the portal gun, as it is all just a bit of indirection mixed into the regular shooting, nothing spectacularly new.

In addition to that I consider Portal kind of a bore, maybe it was the ton of advertisment that they did pre-release, the videos of Narbacular Drop, some flash games or whatever, but at the time I got to play the thing it felt like I already had seen every fresh idea the game had to offer a dozen times. It was like "hey, here is the portal gun and it works exactly as expected".

Back to topic: I agree that guns are an issue, but they are really secondary. I think the core issue is really the underlying game structure of: 

1. shoot everthing that moves
  2. go to next area
  3. repeat at 1)

Mix into that a bunch of those scripted "cinematic moments" where you get to witness an event (people getting killed, stuff exploding, crashing, etc.) without any way to actually interfere with it and the whole experience quickly becomes uninteresting and passive. Watching a cutscene is not interactive and while this is tolerable in story driven games, as you actually care about what is happening, non-interactivity really is a killer in a FPS, as there you generally don't give a fuck about what happens around you, as its all just paint on the wall anyway, not part of the interactive game world (and no, Half Life 2's non-interactive cutscenes where you are allowed to move the camera are not the solution, they are a big part of the problem).

Games should be about crafting interactive worlds, not about crafting experiences. How the player experiences the world should really be up to him, not some scripted event and to often in todays games I feel like the game is pushing me into a direction I don't really want to go.

Has there ever been a sneaking game with PoP/Braid-like time remind?
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Deadpool and I love guns.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King

Why should games get rid of guns? They're still a good thing, and there are plenty of games that don't have guns. You may wish to try those out. And what's that? Mainsteream developers aren't experimenting?

What about this shit? This experimented. I'd name more games, if I wanted to :P.
What about this shit? This experimented. I'd name more games, if I wanted to :P.
Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Olivaw

Man I thought this was gonna be about how melee combat should take a bigger role in first person games and I was gonna be all like "hell yeah son those Riddick games were boss! I'd love a good first person fistfighter!"

But then it turned out to be another one of those "hurr sequels r dum" posts.

I mean listen to yourself:

The problem is gaming is a two way street. Unlike every other creative medium games don't have to express something to be valid. That isn't to say the movies and books and shit don't serve completely utilitarian purposes sometimes, but we don't call those creative endeavors they are simply products. But games are different, they don't have to communicate anything to the player to still be grouped into that category. The venn diagram is three dimensional at that point, it has a bunch of prongs and fractals and shit.

What the fuck does any of this shit mean
davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By davidwitten22
@SeriouslyNow said:
" Try avoiding the Modern Borefares and Boredomlands (GOTY LOLOL, GREAT TASTE JEFF!) "
Troll fail. 

You should try Heavy Rain. There's only, like 4 or 5 guns in the entire game!
Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Olivaw

I mean it's not like movies or books are any different than video games anyway.

Think about the books you see in supermarkets and shit. Books by James Patterson and Dean Koontz. It's the exact same fucking thing every time. And they're bestsellers.

Think about what movies made the most money recently - Transformers 2, a gigantic rolling pile of awful jokes, shakycam, and CGI robots which is a cinematic shitstorm the likes of which haven't been seen in some time, and Avatar, a movie so creatively, artistically, and intellectually bankrupt I can't even muster up the energy to make fun of it anymore.

And let's not even get into music.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jadeskye

based purely on the pictures chose by the OP i'm gonna agree with anything he comes up with.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so glad I made this thread.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By CL60

Would anybody else like to have an RPG similar in gameplay to Morrowind or Oblivion, but realistic? Without magic or elves and shit, just with multiple weapon types, and multiple fighting styles.  

Because I would. Just have it set in an interesting time period and it would work. Like ancient Rome.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iam3green

a little bit. i am currently playing a crapload of forza motorsport 3. i am trying to beat all of the races.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Olivaw: What doesn't it mean? 

Are you just some kind of player hater? Hating on players just cuz they know the game?
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Meowshi

I love "fantasy" guns.  Guns in fantasy settings.  Fucking awesome. 

You see that Charr over there?  His axe HAS A GUN ON IT.  Fucking METAL

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BraveToaster

Shooters do get a little boring, that's why it's always good to play more than one genre.