Is it too late to get into Rock Band?

ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ShadowMountain

So far this generation, I've let the whole 'band' genre of rythm games pass over me completely, mainly due to the insane UK prices at the time and the fact we never got the superiour Rock Band 2 instruments. However on a number of good sites now  The Beatles: Rock Band    is available for a very good price (around £90) and it is my intention to buy it along with Rock Band and Rock Band 2, but it got me thinking: is it too late? 

To understand where I am coming from hear this: I played and loved the original Guitar Hero. I was never that good at it, but I managed to complete it on medium and do about half of hard mode. Then I bought Guitar Hero 2 and you know what? I got bored with it half-way through. The appeal and novelty wore off and I was back to playing immersive rpgs, frantic fps' and good solid adventure games.  I know for a fact that a guitar only rythm game of that style no longer appeals to me so I will be buying the Rock Band games primarily for the drums - but would it be the same again? What is so different about the Rock Band experiance from the Guitar Hero experiance? Because if it is a similar experience with nothing noteworthy enough to make it feel different then I think I would rather save myself a bunch of money.  

I mean at the time back in old Gamespot days I remember Jeff, Ryan and Alex Navarro being pretty excited about Rock Band and that E3 (05 or 06 I think it was) where they had the whole crew playing at the end of the coverage was awesome. I know for a fact those guys played a hell of a lot of Guitar Hero before so for Rock Band to excite them there had to be something special about it but was it just hype?  

So I ask again: Is Rock Band still relevent? If you are a fan please convince me and if not then please try otherwise! 
I'm appealing to the community as (most) of GiantBomb is populated with level-headed dudes and well-informed opinion. Apologies in advance for this terrible, rambling mess of a first post!

ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ack

If you have a group of friends that will play rock band with you, it is never too late for rockband

that is the appeal

friends pretending you are the beatles and singing yellow submarine together

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CptBedlam

Do you have friends that can play with you from time to time? Then, hell yes, get it.

If you're playing alone you would have to either love rhythm games or the music that's offered, preferably both.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Yes! 

and this shoulda been a poll..  MOAR POLLZ PEOPLE !!!!

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By clubsandwich

no, it's not late at all, I started late as well and I still enjoy it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iam3green

no, it's never to late to get the game. i find the game to be good when my friend had it.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By PufferFiz

Yep it is to late. Sorry pal I guess you will have to wait till rockband 3 

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

No. Me and my brother just got into it, and it's so awesome, I dare you to get into it too.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" Yes!  and this shoulda been a poll..  MOAR POLLZ PEOPLE !!!! "
Do you need to say that in almost every thread you post in?

And yes, Rock Band is a lot of fun.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hot_Karl
@ShadowMountain: 

Do it, man!

Rock Band is a ton of fun, mostly when you're with others, but since this'll all be new to you, you'll enjoy it by your lonesome as well.

You'll be surprised as to how the rhythm game genre has changed in the 3 years or so since you've played GH2. Most of the songs available are master recordings (a.k.a. no crappy covers), the timing and control is better, and there are just so many songs to choose from now, on the cheap even (I reckon you can get all three of these games with a RB2 kit for less than what RB2 did when it first came out).
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By MetalGearSunny

It's never too late. In fact, I still play it.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By carlthenimrod

The drums in Rock Band are a completely different experience then the guitar. They are also more fun as far as I am concerned.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By GunstarRed

Probably one of the few games I play regularly...I dont even treat it the same as other videogames because its something I like to play with others. The only problem with it (and that is from a UK perspective maybe) is that a lot of the DLC seems more relevant to the US which is understandable obviously, not all but a lot of it like the country packs etc  but there is definately a LOT of awesome songs between RB 1, 2 , dlc and the lego game. 

I cannot think of a better party game 

The Beatles game is really awesome 

Online can be a pain though, as I discovered last year. A lot of people will kick you from their games if youre not willing to  play the game on hard or expert especially in the beatles game. You really should be playign it with friends and family anyways!
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Now may be a better time than ever since the instruments are cheaper. Heck, dude. I got Rock Band 2's special edition set (1 guitar, a mic, and the drums) for $90 new from Gamestop like 6-8 months ago. That was $100 off, man! If you can find a cheap deal like that, I say go for it. These instruments will be used for the remainder of this gen, and are compatible with any GH or Rock Band game, so I think you'll certainly get enough mileage out of them. Oh, and if you like The Beatles, you really need The Beatles: Rock Band. It absolutely rules.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Now may be a better time than ever since the instruments are cheaper. Heck, dude. I got Rock Band 2's special edition set (1 guitar, a mic, and the drums) for $90 new from Gamestop like 6-8 months ago. That was $100 off, man! If you can find a cheap deal like that, I say go for it. These instruments will be used for the remainder of this gen, and are compatible with any GH or Rock Band game, so I think you'll certainly get enough mileage out of them. Oh, and if you like The Beatles, you really need The Beatles: Rock Band. It absolutely rules.

Strongbadman47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Strongbadman47

It's never too late. It's really fun to play all the different instruments with yourself and even better with other people. You shouldn't get Rock Band 1 though, you can just rent or borrow it and pay the 400 points to get all the songs. (Except *Paranoid, *Run To The Hills, and Enter Sandman) There's also a lot of DLC for the game and more is still coming.  

Why would somebody not want this. It gives you the ultimate.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Whisperkill

It's not too late, no it's never to laaateee

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers