Is it weird that I enjoy last gen games more than this gen's?

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By manicraider

I can't help it. For some reason I just feel better when I play old PS2, GameCube and Xbox games. That generation kinda holds a special place inside me as far as games go. I tried getting into this generation but it never stuck with me. I remember I bought an HDTV (my first), an Xbox 360 Elite and a good amount of games. But it's all been a letdown except for 5 games and that's it. Nothing really interests me. But I have so many older favorites plus a huge library of games I never had the chance to play before. Does anyone else feel this way or think that I'm crazy for feeling this way?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Not really?

Panchos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Panchos

Everything this gen is call of duty. Where's the classics?

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SexyToad

I love both gens. I like me some Halo, Skyrim, Call of Duty, and so on, BUT, I also go back and play Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time (Amazing game), Mario Sunshine, and so on.

Rumpleforeskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rumpleforeskin

That's not weird at all. PS2 was, and still is, my favorite console of all time. It has an amazing library of games, there are a metric fuck-ton of em!

briareosph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By briareosph

Know that feel bro. I loved and enjoyed the last gen games more than this gen. It's either I'm playing the wrong games this gen or I'm getting too old for this. Or everything's becoming too streamlined and everything is becoming a sequel.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

You have a condition, unfortunately for you, its uncurable, and fatal. It is the Human Condition.

It will lead you to look fondly on things that you thought sucked at the time. And it will make you think things are awesome that, looking back, 10 years from now, you will realize sucked.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

I still play SNES games sometimes. So no; limiting yourself to one generation just cuts you off from a whole lot of great games.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By YOU_DIED

@briareosph said:

Know that feel bro. I loved and enjoyed the last gen games more than this gen. It's either I'm playing the wrong games this gen or I'm getting too old for this. Or everything's becoming too streamlined and everything is becoming a sequel.

I can say with confidence it's a mix of the first and the last of the three

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WickedFather

I'm playing through last gen game 'as new' in a complete non-nostalgia-goggles way and have played Paper Mario and Mario Tennis on the N64 and Jak and Daxter and Jak 3 (2 was scratched!) and they're definitely more satisfying and fun than current gen games. This is a generalisation, of course, but man... did anyone think "Man, modern games are turning to shit" last gen?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By zeforgotten

Not at all, no

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nostalgia glasses! But really I think it is because you remember them and all the good memories with them where with these new games you are still making good memories with them. Looking back good things seem better.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By laserbolts

Even though the industry has turned into what it has I can still enjoy a good game as much now as I did years back. It is depressing to think about where video games have ended up though.

labman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By labman

I like all the games!

@Dagbiker said:

You have a condition, unfortunately for you, its uncurable, and fatal. It is the Human Condition.

It will lead you to look fondly on things that you thought sucked at the time. And it will make you think things are awesome that, looking back, 10 years from now, you will realize sucked.

Life...the sexually transmitted, terminal disease.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#15  Edited By beard_of_zeus

I don't necessarily think "all these games from this older time period are better than current games", but I do share the sentiment that the previous gen holds a special place as the last time period of games that weren't delivered up piecemeal (i.e., DLC, online passes) or in a digital state. They are games that I will always be able to go back and play wholesale as long as I have my copy of them. The discussion on game preservation that has been happening recently worries me more and more as we go along.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By spankingaddict

Actually , I think that's kinda awesome .

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Hunter5024

Ps2 is a fantastic generation. I find that my favorite games of that generation aren't as good as my favorites of other generations, however there are so many more of them than in others that it doesn't even matter. I think it was a time where development costs were low enough that lots of people could make games that were big in scope, but the power was still good enough for games to come out looking gorgeous and playing great regardless of the cost.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Dynablade

@manicraider: No your not crazy at all in the least. There are plenty of other gamers who feel the exact same way, though I myself don't feel that way in the slightest. Over the past few months I found out first hand that the reasons I've liked certain retro games were mostly due to heavy nostalgia from when I was a child. Having recently played through a few games on the N64 I found that many of them don't hold up well years later such as Jet Force Gemini, GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, Spider-Man, etc. There were a few exceptions (Banjo Kazooie), but in a way it made me feel glad how far gaming has come since the 90's for better or worse.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#19  Edited By DarkbeatDK

There's a lot of games that, to me, feel like something from the last gen. If you want to play some games that give that feeling, I think you should check out the Yakuza series, Dragon's Dogma or Resident Evil 6.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CaLe

It might be a sign that you are a curmudgeon.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nottle

@manicraider: I can't speak for the Xbox (other than Halo) but last gen was actually pretty damn good. The Gamecube had some solid titles once in a while, stuff like Metroid Prime, RE4, and Wind Waker kind of being the big titles there. I like Mario Sunshine as well. The PS2 probably has the best library of games out of any console, very diverse games, Jrpgs, FPS's, fighting games, and other great stuff like Ico, Shadow of the colossus, and MGs3. All of there Mascot series like Sly, Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter were pretty good. At the time Capcom was making some of the best things they've ever released, AKA things made by Clover and Shinji Mikami. I'm still buying old PS2 titles that I hear about. Also if the Dreamcast counts as that gen, that console has some fun and interesting games. That's probably the best sega had been since the genesis.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By oraknabo

No I love all my quirky PS2 games!

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SomeDeliCook

There's a good number of games from this and last gen that I really enjoy. I tend to just dislike AAA games and go for the more underrated and obscure titles. They usually have the more interesting and original gameplay.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By cornbredx

No, not really.  To be fair there has been some really great indie games this gen (well, I guess this gen was the beginning of that whole thing) and a few great games here and there but it's hard not to think back to other generations and how awesome they felt at the time. I haven't gotten much of that this gen either despite their being good games. 

Although, recently there has been better games coming out imo. It comes and goes. I don't know why that is really.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By kindgineer

Why would it be weird? You have tastes, and you're not stupid enough to ignore them. I thought I was one of those guys that liked old retro-consoles, but found shortly there-after I wasn't. I love the current generation games, and when it comes to PC, I don't really know if there is a "barrier" for that sort of thought process.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By me3639

As someone who has played on everything from the start, yes, but too each their own.