Is the GB crew baised at times?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By xplodedd

hey guys, 
after listening to a few bombcasts i cant help but think that Giant bomb could be biased sometimes, i mean they keep talking about how awesome modern warfare 2 is without even playing it. It sounds like that game is guaranteed a 5 star score. This isn't the only time, remember burnout paradise and rockband? 

what do you guys think?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Rhaknar

what do you mean "without playing it"... they are not YOU, they are game journalists, who have access to games long before they come out

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By empfeix

Everyone has bias, isnt that why we all have different points of view?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

There just obvious fans of Modern Warfare 2,.
xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xplodedd
@Rhaknar said:
" what do you mean "without playing it"... they are not YOU, they are game journalists, who have access to games long before they come out "
Jeff said repeatedly that he hasn't played it, yet he keeps talking about how awesome it is.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

Everyone's biased to some degree. It's just a matter of how much. And yeah I think Brad did play it so he's got the gist of it.

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By goodwood

They have their opinions about games that they really like/hate and are going to be honest about it. Thats not being biased

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By artofwar420
@xplodedd: If I remember correctly in a few podcasts ago, well like 15 podcasts ago, they were talking about how they were tired of seeing CoD2 trailers and that it didn't need to advertise anymore, and how they were kinda sick of it.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Evilsbane

They are getting excited about games that have had previous games in the series be totally awesome so they expect the same awesomeness...not to much of a stretch there.

Every game you mentioned had a precursor game that was fantastic: Call Of Duty this is Number 6, Rockband was during the big guitar hero craze, and burnout paradise was after Burnout!

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgentofChaos

One of the reasons they made this site was so they could be biased, that VG journalism doesnt exist in a fucking vacuum. Especially with reviews, they do reflect the bias of the person reviewing.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I think maybe you don't understand what the word bias means. Certainly everyone has preferences for certain genres and things like that, but I don't think it's fair to label that as "bias".

Also, specifically looking at the case of Burnout Paradise, people in the gaming press have a lot of games to play, so I think the fact that Jeff played so much of it speaks volumes. He thoroughly enjoyed that game, and when you're on a weekly podcast, chances are you're going to talk about the games that you are playing and enjoying. The only bias I see there is that the dude likes good games.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Valames

Their biased opinion doesn't guarantee a 5 start rating. Jeff said himself in "I Love Mondays" that Borderlands might be his favorite game this year and he only gave it a 4.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xplodedd
@Chaser324 said:
" I think maybe you don't understand what the word bias means. Certainly everyone has preferences for certain genres and things like that, but I don't think it's fair to label that as "bias".  Also, specifically looking at the case of Burnout Paradise, people in the gaming press have a lot of games to play, so I think the fact that Jeff played so much of it speaks volumes. He thoroughly enjoyed that game, and when you're on a weekly podcast, chances are you're going to talk about the games that you are playing and enjoying. The only bias I see there is that the dude likes good games. "
but i mean like you probably heard the recent ones, doesn't it sound like jeff is sorta guaranteeing MW2  a 5/5.. like i know what your saying but still... 
@eroticfishcake
said:
" Everyone's biased to some degree. It's just a matter of how much. And yeah I think Brad did play it so he's got the gist of it. "
yeah but i mean if you listen to the bombcast its usually jeff who is talking about how awesome modern warfare 2 is gonna be.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Mushir

Dude the the GB crew are the last people I would say are biased reviewers. Jeff's just excited about MW2, thats all.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pie

They like some games. That doesnt make them bias.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Wow, flamebait! Flagged.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xplodedd
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" Wow, flamebait! Flagged. "
what?
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@xplodedd: Here's the thing...MW2 is pretty much guaranteed to be a high quality product, and as people that like good games, the GB crew is of course going to be excited about it just like most of the people in the gaming community. I'm sure that if the game ends up being a disappointment when they play it that it will be reflected in what they say about it in the review and on the podcast.

The term "bias" implies that it prevents them from being objective or impartial. That doesn't at all describe the situation to me. Just look at the case of Borderlands. All of the content leading up to the game and all of his hands-on preview time got Jeff really excited about that game, and it certainly showed every time he talked about it on the podcast or wrote about it. Take a look at the review though. He was able to set aside all of the hype that had built up in him and evaluate the game objectively based on what he liked and disliked in the final product.

With MW2, all of the preview content that has been released so far looks amazing. It's also a game that has a hell of a pedigree and is coming from a great developer. How can you be surprised that anyone that plays games is hyped up about it?
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By Suicrat
@xplodedd: Burnout Paradise IS awesome though.
harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By harrisonave

They like games too.  They also happen to enjoy video games, it's not just a job for them.  It's not biased.  They get just excited about the games they like as we do.  We've all played Modern Warfare.  After playing that, how could you not be optimistic about the second?  

People on video game related websites just loved throwing the word biased around, I swear.  And besides, all the games you listed ARE ACTUALLY GREAT GAMES.  How does liking those games make them biased?  Bias towards what?  Good games?  Because if so, you can throw me in that same boat, as well.  I don't see what you're getting at, at all...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" Wow, flamebait! Flagged. "
I think you might be onto something there.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By zeforgotten
@empfeix said:
" Everyone has bias, isnt that why we all have different points of view? "
I totally agree. 
But what I can't understand right now is, how you, on the internet, can say that people have different opinions.. And get away with it. 
Most of the times when I tell people my opinion on this site they go "OMG, you idiot, it's the best game ever! You suck" 

You sir, are lucky :P
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Oh come on, it's obvious that they (apart from Brad who has actually played it) are just talking about how awesome they think the game looks. I'm sure when it actually comes to reviews they will be fair in the reviewing process and only give the game the score it deserves, just like every game before it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By eroticfishcake

What I want to say has already been said so far. So yeah, read them.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Milkman

Yep, if someone is excited for something, that means they are biased.

StormRiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StormRiter

Umm...it's because they have played Modern Warfare 2...and isn't it their job to be biased at times...would be kind of bland reviews/commentary otherwise....
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Branthog
@xplodedd said:
" hey guys, after listening to a few bombcasts i cant help but think that Giant bomb could be biased sometimes, i mean they keep talking about how awesome modern warfare 2 is without even playing it. It sounds like that game is guaranteed a 5 star score. This isn't the only time, remember burnout paradise and rockband?  what do you guys think? "
You're right, assuming they hadn't already played it (they did), I think one can safely say that Modern Warfare 2 is going to suck ass. I mean, that is such a shitty series with an awful track record. Especially when Infinity Ward is involved. And that Burnout Paradise can was such a load of dick. Man, they were so off on all accounts.

There's nothing wrong with being excited about a game ahead of time. Who isn't?! Especially one with a high pedigree. Now, if the titles came out and sucked and they praised them as the greatest thing on earth anyway, that's a different thing. Also something that wouldn't happen with these guys.
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Damien
@Milkman said:
" Yep, if someone is excited for something, that means they are biased. "
So true.  I'm always biased by attractive girls if you catch my drift...in my pants!
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VWGTI

Were you the kid who tried putting the square shape in the circle hole?

spaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By spaded
@xplodedd: he says how awesome it looks 
krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By krazy_kyle

The whole reason Giant Bomb was formed was because these guys wanted to write their own videogame reviews without being biased, Jeff got fired because he wasnt being biased in a videogame review for gamespot (Kane and Lynch). He gave the game a low score and eidos were very angry because they spent so much money advertising on gamespots website, thus costing Jeff's job at gamespot.  

Giant Bomb for life
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By subject2change

Crew, no.
Jeff and Ryan, yes.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Famov

Everyone operates under preconceived biases. They have never made any claim to the contrary, and I probably wouldn't visit a website that had any pretense about being completely objective.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By ch13696

Ok this is when we need a moderator to come out and lock or make this forum post disappear. Hate to say it dude. If you think someone is bias or playing favorites you need to keep it to yourself. Posting it on a forum, especially on the site that you think is biased, then that will cause tons of flame wars.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Driadon
@krazy_kyle: That be rumor, he could have left for other reasons but has never stated why and never will due to legal reasons and for personal ones. 
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By gingertastic_10

Everyone is biased at times.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By General_D23

Ugh, yes, they are biased. All reviews are subjective personal opinions. A good reviewer/journalist will keep it to a minimum, but preconceived opinions are still there, as they should be. Having robots review/report things for us would be very dull. Let’s not forget that human beings run this site, as is much clearer on this site then on most others.    

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zeforgotten
@Driadon said:
" @krazy_kyle: That be rumor, he could have left for other reasons but has never stated why and never will due to legal reasons and for personal ones.  "
Nono, just let them think what they want...  
We don't wanna discuss this again.. 2008 wants it's arguments back.. So please, don't try it :P
ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ErgoProxy77
@xplodedd: Not only are they biased, but every single reviewer ever is biased.  This is because reviews are not objective, and never will be.  
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Driadon
@ZeForgotten said:
" @Driadon said:
" @krazy_kyle: That be rumor, he could have left for other reasons but has never stated why and never will due to legal reasons and for personal ones.  "
Nono, just let them think what they want...  We don't wanna discuss this again.. 2008 wants it's arguments back.. So please, don't try it :P "
Well 2008 is more recent then a "*insert journalist* is biased!" argument. 
Oh well, you are right though.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Evilsbane

Wow reading through this has really made me feel alot better about the GB community 90% of the post in this thread is an exact inverse to what I thought would be said I just assumed everyone would run in here and start yelling "YEA THEY ARE BIASED!" Good job guys Defend Our Crew!

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By General_D23
@Evilsbane:
EDIT: Ugh, sorry, misunderstood that, i think.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RsistncE
@Chaser324: The very defintion of bias defines it as a leaning towards a certain result or ideology which would interfere with the ability to be impartial or objective. If Jeff is already hailing the game as being super awesome without having playing it, it's very possible and likely that he will be going into the review (if he does review it) with expectations or preset notions that will affect the final review whether for better or for worse.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Evilsbane
@General_D23: Misunderstood what? What did I miss lol
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By turbomonkey138

Opinion is bias . The only way to be none bias is to not have a opinion

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By General_D23
EDIT: @Evilsbane: Ha, sorry, I kind of cover the point I made below.
@RsistncE:
And that is perfectly fine and should be expected. There are a ton of other sites to compare and contrast to get the best view of the game. 

I've never understood this Bias is Bad thing. I think it should be a given that preconcieved opinions are always formed and in one way or another applied to reviews. It is up to the reader to get more opinions and decide if it should influence his descison reguarding the game.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By oldschool

My opinions on the GB staff are well known, as are my attitudes to some reviews.  The OP is entitled to a view. 

Bias is not the right word in my view though.  Preference and personal taste is better.  There is nothing wrong with them hyping up their preference in games and as I don't share hardly any common interests in games as the GB staff, I don't bother listening or reading what they do.  Try not taking it seriously (it is entertainment after all) or stop listening perhaps.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By brukaoru

I think they are just excited for the game. If the game turned out to be bad by their standards, they would certainly give it the proper score, not inflating it just to do so.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By MKHavoc

Isn't everyone at least a little biased?  In the case of MW2 I feel like I know enough about that game where I don't even need a review except to tell me if there are any game breaking bugs which there probably won't be.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#50  Edited By citizenkane

Everyone, including the staff, has their own opinion about video games.  Giant Bomb was created for us to freely and joyingly discuss those opinions with other video games fans,