Is the Wii Obsolete?

way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By way

I love Nintendo, but I never got into the Wii. In fact I despise the Wii.  And it's really hard to see a future for it, especially now.

Do you think Nintendo will stop manufacturing, or what?

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Megalon

Yeah, I'm sure they'll stop manufacturing the console they sold 45 million of soon. 

45 million, dude.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I don't think it is. I think the Wii has alot of potential. Unfortunately, I don't think most developers are going to take advantage of that.

The Wii still has plenty of great games on the way. I think the VC alone warrants a Wii purchace.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There are actually quite a few titles coming out for it this year that look like they could be good. Fingers crossed.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne
way said:
" And it's really hard to see a future for it, especially now."
wtf? I understand the Wii hate to a certain extent, but 2009 is really shaping up to be an awesome year, game wise. The best year yet, to be honest.

When you own a Wii: Just go and try games. Ignore scores. Ignore what you might think of the presentation. Just go and try stuff. I started doing that a few months ago and have come to really like the console again. Especially if you get into homebrew.

Wii60 = Gaming awesomeness.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

Um..no they won't stop manufacturing it, its doing better and continues to do better than the 360 and PS3 combined for sales. The simple question though do I find it obsolete, yes, its very obsolete. That has nothing to do with how good its actually doing though, nintendo wouldn't pointlessly stop selling it. Honestly a pretty dumb question, I don't see how anyone could think this...

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Miniman said:
"Would be a great console if it had some great games but looking at the list most are targeted at a casual audience."
Yeah, I heard that one before but I disagree. There are plenty of hardcore games coming out for the Wii, you just have to be a hardcore Wii player to recognize them.

Personally, I'm interested in the Conduit, No More Heroes 2, Mario Tennis, Mad World, Punch-Out, Ready to Rumble Revolution, Dead Space, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Dead Rising, REmake: Zero, Tony Hawk 10, 100 Bullets and the new Silicon Knights Survival Horror game, just to name a few.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne
Bullet_Jr said:
Yeah, I heard that one before but I disagree. There are plenty of hardcore games coming out for the Wii, you just have to be a hardcore Wii player to recognize them.
Ignoring potentially great games just because they have casual appeal doesn't make you a hardcore gamer. It just makes you an idiot.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Meowayne said:
"Bullet_Jr said:
Ignoring potentially great games just because they have casual appeal doesn't make you a hardcore gamer. It just makes you an idiot.

"
Watch your mouth, Sweetheart. I don't ignore great games, I will literally play anything for hours.

I, like most gamers here, have a preference on what type of games I like. Now look, I have nothing at all against good,  quality games aimed at casual players but the majority of the "casual" games being made for Wii just don't appeal to me so no, I don't have to like them and no, it does not make me an idiot for having a preference.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By brukaoru

Nintendo still can't (or rather won't produce enough to) keep shelves stoked with Wiis. Most people still can't walk into a store and buy one. They are sold out within minutes when online stores have them in stock. People are buying them up like crazy. They aren't going to stop manufacturing anytime soon.

Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stanford

You know, I think Nintendo like earning this thing like money.  I'm not quit sheer why, but if they can still earn this money stuff, I think they will

Avatar image for deactivated-596b8044e5f9a
deactivated-596b8044e5f9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think its obsolete at all, given that it has made a lot of money for Nintendo and still sells like crazy years after its initial release. They won't stop making Wiis until demand has dried up, which could be a while yet. So far they haven't even needed to drop the price. From a business perspective it is far from obsolete. However, from a creative perspective I don't think 3rd parties (for the most part) take it that seriously, and that we haven't really seen much innovation in 3rd party Wii games (generally speaking). So going by the amount of shovelware on the system, does that mean it could be considered "creatively obsolete" outside of Nintendo's own releases? Let's hope not - software companies should be taking advantage of the Wii's large install base to release games that are quicker and easier to develop than the Herculian masterworks released on the 360 and PS3, but instead they're being very cynical and releasing shoddy ports and crap minigame compilations. I want to see less of this in the latter half of the console's life cycle.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meowayne
Bullet_Jr said:
Watch your mouth, Sweetheart. I don't ignore great games, I will literally play anything for hours.

I, like most gamers here, have a preference on what type of games I like. Now look, I have nothing at all against good,  quality games aimed at casual players but the majority of the "casual" games being made for Wii, just don't appeal to me so, no, I don't have to like them, and no, it does not make me an idiot for having a preference."
Fair enough, but my comment was actually targeted at Miniman, whom you quoted. Sorry if that went the wrong way. : )

I understand what you're saying, but I'd still say that games are worth trying even if you absolutely hate the style/approach. "The world ends with you" makes my eyes bleed, but I tried it nonetheless and found it a great game. Most people dismiss(ed) Wii music instantly, but I actually got around to try it, and it was surprisingly entertaining. You shouldn't limit yourself to the games you listed, just because they look the most like "regular" games.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Shadow

I only use it for Smash Bros......which I play with a gamecube controller......so no, the Wii's not obsolete.  It's the Gamecube slim.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Meowayne said:
"Bullet_Jr said:

I, like most gamers here, have a preference on what type of games I like. Now look, I have nothing at all against good,  quality games aimed at casual players but the majority of the "casual" games being made for Wii, just don't appeal to me so, no, I don't have to like them, and no, it does not make me an idiot for having a preference."
Fair enough, but my comment was actually targeted at Miniman, whom you quoted. Sorry if that went the wrong way. : )

I understand what you're saying, but I'd still say that games are worth trying even if you absolutely hate the style/approach. "The world ends with you" makes my eyes bleed, but I tried it nonetheless and found it a great game. Most people dismiss(ed) Wii music instantly, but I actually got around to try it, and it was surprisingly entertaining. You shouldn't limit yourself to the games you listed, just because they look the most like "regular" games."
I think I'm fairly open with what games I like to play, which is one of the main reasons I bought a Wii. The Wii is fantastic because it allows smaller developers the chance to make a game for a console.

Many people bitch about the Wii's graphic capabilities but it actually makes it less expensive for smaller 3rd parties to afford having their game published. The more smaller companies get their games published, the more fresh ideas come in, which in the end, makes the gaming world a better place.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Karmum

Are you kidding me? It is approaching the 50 million mark, don't they have a problem getting more out, rather than the ludicrous idea of "stop manufacturing" them?

NinjaSquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By NinjaSquirrel

Plus, I personally think this year will have a ton of sleeper hits for it.