It's not that the sequels suck, it's you

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Notice something about action game sequels this generation?  Every single one has recieved lower marks.  That being said, there really isn't an action game, in the typical sense of the word, that has appeared lately and been rated well (this would exclude Uncharted, Dead Space, etc.). 

Why is this I wonder?  Are these sequels actually disappointing?
Take a look at Ninja Gaiden 2 and Devil May Cry 4.  What exactly did they do wrong?
To be frank, I can't say that they did. They were great sequels in every sense of the word, they didn't lose anything (they were both better), but they were just called "worse".

Now take a look at Bayonetta.  This is getting almost attention.  Not to say it's getting none, but in comparison to MadWorld, the other game from the studio, it's a shadow.  Why?  Well, not to discredit madworld (it looks neat) but it's just because it's, well, a traditional action beat em up. Last generation people would have been all over this. 

And yes, I'm going to expect a GOW3 response retaliation.  Guess what?  God of War hasn't yet been released.  In case you forgot, Devil May Cry 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 were hyped up the ass.  I wouldn't be suprised at all if GOW takes a backseat in the main sony action series to a more non traditional action game.  And honestly, what are you expecting for GOW3 to do?  Because if the past is any indication, unless it completely revolutionizes itself into a more open setting and less pure hack and slash with the occassional puzzle, it's going to flop.  Still be a great game for the fans though (much like NG2/DMC4)

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Notice something about action game sequels this generation?  Every single one has recieved lower marks.  That being said, there really isn't an action game, in the typical sense of the word, that has appeared lately and been rated well (this would exclude Uncharted, Dead Space, etc.). 

Why is this I wonder?  Are these sequels actually disappointing?
Take a look at Ninja Gaiden 2 and Devil May Cry 4.  What exactly did they do wrong?
To be frank, I can't say that they did. They were great sequels in every sense of the word, they didn't lose anything (they were both better), but they were just called "worse".

Now take a look at Bayonetta.  This is getting almost attention.  Not to say it's getting none, but in comparison to MadWorld, the other game from the studio, it's a shadow.  Why?  Well, not to discredit madworld (it looks neat) but it's just because it's, well, a traditional action beat em up. Last generation people would have been all over this. 

And yes, I'm going to expect a GOW3 response retaliation.  Guess what?  God of War hasn't yet been released.  In case you forgot, Devil May Cry 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 were hyped up the ass.  I wouldn't be suprised at all if GOW takes a backseat in the main sony action series to a more non traditional action game.  And honestly, what are you expecting for GOW3 to do?  Because if the past is any indication, unless it completely revolutionizes itself into a more open setting and less pure hack and slash with the occassional puzzle, it's going to flop.  Still be a great game for the fans though (much like NG2/DMC4)

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

People are just expecting so much out of games nowadays that developoers probably get more hype than what they bargained for.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By crunchUK

THats because frankly action games have had to step aside for shooters, whos reign will be ended in a couple of years and replaced with sandbox games (quote me on that one)

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ I think sandbox games already had there shine.  Remember True Crime, etc?
i personally think they're actually going away now as they realize an open world isn't the best for every game, although there still are some like crackdown and infamous

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crunchUK
SmugDarkLoser said:
"^ I think sandbox games already had there shine.  Remember True Crime, etc?
i personally think they're actually going away now as they realize an open world isn't the best for every game, although there still are some like crackdown and infamous"
Not really, no.  as graphical enhhancements get more and more expensive and less and less noticable. Simply making your world bigger with few graphical improvements will be the waqy to go for next gen. Look at gta4, technically it doesn't look like much but liberty city in all it's glory was quite breathtaking
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
SmugDarkLoser said:
Well, not to discredit madworld (it looks neat) 
Understatement of the millenium?
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gizmo
Arkthemaniac said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
Understatement of the millenium?"
I think neat is the right word. If it had a next-gen game engine behind it, the concept and physics/art stuff could be incredible.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Gizmo said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
I think neat is the right word. If it had a next-gen game engine behind it, the concept and physics/art stuff could be incredible."
Oh, God, I'm surrounded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!! I'M SURROUNDED BY WII-HATERS!
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

I know it's like people would rather they not make sequels.  People are spoiled.  If I loved the first game, and they go and make a second game that's even more awesome and that continues the story, I would be very happy and wouldn't give a damn if they didn't "raise the bar" for all other games.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

People like to complain, and are like sheep following a herd for the most part. If enough people bleats about some stupid shit or complaint about a game, everyone jumps on the bandwagon and goes along for the ride. A lot of times, sequel is just as good, if not better, but people still complain. It's like they want a new game, not just more of the same that made the first one so good.

There are times where the sequels are truly not as good, but they're overshadowed by the fact that people complain about everything, even good games.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

Maybe it's just me, but I'm waiting for Smug to pull out the "well, look at the scores for Halo 3 compared to Halo 1 and Halo 2" comment.  lol

Also, there are plenty of times that sequels got a better overall score/review/rating/whatever than the original.  Just look at Pandora Tomorrow as a prime example.  That game ran circles around the original!!!  lol
Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kratos81

NG2 was worse in every way except combat. Bugs, story, level design, boss battles are were worse. A complete disappointment for me as a ninja gaiden fan. Dcm4 was half a game you played trough half, and then replayed it with dante. I enjoyed the game but it got the score it deserved. 

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Hexpane

Bayonetta looks fucking retarded.   Isn't that character a rip off of that bad Robert Rodriguez movie?

I wonder when JPN devs will start developing unique character designs instead of just stealing western movie stars and re-purposing existing images.
Tidus = Meg Ryan
Vaan = Victoria Beckam
Snake = Kurt R

the list goes on and on

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince
Kratos81 said:
"NG2 was worse in every way except combat. Bugs, story, level design, boss battles are were worse. A complete disappointment for me as a ninja gaiden fan. Dcm4 was half a game you played trough half, and then replayed it with dante. I enjoyed the game but it got the score it deserved. "
 Unfortunately agree with that.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Kratos81 said:
"NG2 was worse in every way except combat. Bugs, story, level design, boss battles are were worse. A complete disappointment for me as a ninja gaiden fan. Dcm4 was half a game you played trough half, and then replayed it with dante. I enjoyed the game but it got the score it deserved. "

Not really.  Level design is obviously better I'd say.  NG1 sort of sucked in that area. Neat idea at first with having it all uniquely connected, but by midway you could tell they ran out of designs.  Boss battles in the second were just epic.  I'm sorry, but you haven't played it through if you disagree (because the ending bosses were epic).  Story... are we being serious here?  What story are you referencing in either game?  And as for bugs-- you're damn right.  It's not constant bugs like in fallout, but there's two things- the massive framerate slow down on the staircase at one of the last levels and then around there they released a patch that crashed the game during a cutscene--> you either had to delete it or you couldn't progress (fixed now). 

LiquidPrince said:
"Kratos81 said:

"
Liquid Prince, you said you just got an xbox like a month ago.  How have you played through so many games already?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Hexpane said:
"Bayonetta looks fucking retarded.   Isn't that character a rip off of that bad Robert Rodriguez movie?

I wonder when JPN devs will start developing unique character designs instead of just stealing western movie stars and re-purposing existing images.
Tidus = Meg Ryan
Vaan = Victoria Beckam
Snake = Kurt R

the list goes on and on"

I mean like yea, japanese developers are awful.  What's the chance of beng able to find something that looks alike?

Because you know, honestly, american developers don't do that at all

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Systech

Okay, let me get this straight. Now you're complaining about other people complaining? Mindfuck.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Here's some sequels that fared better than their predecessors. I'll try to make it so the technical side of things doesn't get in the way. (ex. Ocarina of Time won't go on here because its predecessor, A Link To The Past, was 2D)

*Mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine.
*Pikmin 2 and Pikmin 1
Resistance 2 and Resistance
Killzone 2 and Killzone
Brawl and Melee (yes, it's true)
*Def Jam: Fight For New York and Def Jam: Vendetta
Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill
*Resident Evil 4 and every game before it.

Looking at this list, you can see, as indicated by stars, that half of these games made major changes to bring a new gameplay style to the player. That's where you're wrong about all this. Playing a game that only incrimentally improves certain side-points while leaving the main gameplay unchanged (NOT INTACT, UNCHANGED) kinda sucks, and isn't what a lot of people want to do.

Case and point: One game more than any other that I want to see a sequel to is Colosseum: Road To Freedom. While I would want them to keep the basic gladiator hack n' slash gameplay intact, I would definitely want them to revamp it with squad commands for teammates, better body injury mechanics to effectively cripple your opponent, more weapon types that aren;t just new skins on the same core, etc. Games need that kind of thing, but they also need to do it so that people who didn't play the first can jump into the second and have as easy of a time that the person next to them took to learn the first game.

That's a good sequel.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Arkthemaniac said:
"

"

what's the difference? lol.
brawl is pretty much the same game.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By toowalrus
Arkthemaniac said:
"Here's some sequels that fared better than their predecessors. I'll try to make it so the technical side of things doesn't get in the way. (ex. Ocarina of Time won't go on here because its predecessor, A Link To The Past, was 2D)
*Mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine.
*Pikmin 2 and Pikmin 1
Resistance 2 and Resistance
Killzone 2 and Killzone
*Def Jam: Fight For New York and Def Jam: Vendetta
Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill
*Resident Evil 4 and every game before it.

Looking at this list, you can see, as indicated by stars, that half of these games made major changes to bring a new gameplay style to the player. That's where you're wrong about all this. Playing a game that only incrimentally improves certain side-points while leaving the main gameplay unchanged (NOT INTACT, UNCHANGED) kinda sucks, and isn't what a lot of people want to do.

Case and point: One game more than any other that I want to see a sequel to is Colosseum: Road To Freedom. While I would want them to keep the basic gladiator hack n' slash gameplay intact, I would definitely want them to revamp it with squad commands for teammates, better body injury mechanics to effectively cripple your opponent, more weapon types that aren;t just new skins on the same core, etc. Games need that kind of thing, but they also need to do it so that people who didn't play the first can jump into the second and have as easy of a time that the person next to them took to learn the first game.

That's a good sequel.
"
Forgot a couple:
GTA 3 and 4 vs GTA 1 and 2
Warcraft III  vs Warcraft I  and II
Rock Band 2 vs Rock Band
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac
SmugDarkLoser said
what's the difference? lol.
brawl is pretty much the same game."
It was reviewed more favorably. Also, FANBOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TooWalrus said:
Forgot a couple:
GTA 3 and 4 vs GTA 1 and 2
Warcraft III  vs Warcraft I  and II
Rock Band 2 vs Rock Band"
GTA didn't go on because of the massive technical jump between the 2D and 3D. Same with Warcraft 3, kinda. Also, is that true about Rock Band 2?
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Bulldog19892
SmugDarkLoser said:
"That being said, there really isn't an action game, in the typical sense of the word, that has appeared lately and been rated well (this would exclude Uncharted, Dead Space, etc.)."
...so we're just supposed to ignore all the games that are an exception to your condition?
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Bulldog19892 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"That being said, there really isn't an action game, in the typical sense of the word, that has appeared lately and been rated well (this would exclude Uncharted, Dead Space, etc.)."
...so we're just supposed to ignore all the games that are an exception to your condition?"
LULZ
How did I not catch that . . .
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187

GUYS, GUYS, GUYS!!!  Don't worry.  The joke is on YOU...because ALL of the new Ninja Gaidens sucked anyways!!!  = D  That should settle the argument once and for all.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Arkthemaniac
jakob187 said:
"GUYS, GUYS, GUYS!!!  Don't worry.  The joke is on YOU...because ALL of the new Ninja Gaidens sucked anyways!!!  = D  That should settle the argument once and for all."
. . . DISCUSSION OVER.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince
SmugDarkLoser said:
LiquidPrince said:
"Kratos81 said:

"
Liquid Prince, you said you just got an xbox like a month ago.  How have you played through so many games already?

"
It's not like I didn't play 360 before I owned it. I used to play atmy friends house a ton. In this short time that I have gotten the 360 I have played a couple of games though.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Bulldog19892 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
...so we're just supposed to ignore all the games that are an exception to your condition?"
No, it's called they're essentially shooters. 
I'm talking about straight up action games- swords, monsters, etc.

Really, although it's classified as an action game, how is Uncharted not a shooter?  Bigger question: How are Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space not always considered shooters?  Wha?
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By breadfan
You can have an action game without swords and monsters
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gunswordfist

I honestly don't see why people would consider DMC4 to be worst than 1 and 3. They all had backtracking and Nero's a great character.Arkthemaniac said:

"Gizmo said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
I think neat is the right word. If it had a next-gen game engine behind it, the concept and physics/art stuff could be incredible."
Oh, God, I'm surrounded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!! I'M SURROUNDED BY WII-HATERS!
"

I'm definitely one of them.
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By BigBoss1911

I wouldent say  its us the gamers.Alot of developers (especially those who make action games) need to let there games evolve.Most FPS games these days are all mindless shoot em ups.After a while its just like your playing the same game but with differences in design and story.Some series also need to go back to their roots,such as ghost recond and Rainbow Six.Those games any more are just shoot em ups,not tactical in any way.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ZeroCast

Look, it's God of War, it will never flop.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pause422

Its more than anything, just a seeming habbit for action games in general over shooters, for the sequels to be called shit or mediocre, and it doesn't look like its going to change. A shooter sequel hits, people never hesitate to be excited for it if its the sequel to a good game, even if it doesn't do a single thing new. Its like they get a free pass 90% of the time. An action game sequel hits, the same thing, it doesn't change a lot, but its a good fun sequel to the game, and it gets treated as if its a complete and utter failure of a game that doesn't live up to the original. I think its just a trend that is going to keep going on, honestly.

No real idea why, since there are definitely plenty of shooter sequels, and other genre sequels that could easily be called ' the same damn game with a coat of paint', which is hardly reason enough for the game to be called a 'failure'(yes there are plenty of ways it can be worse in other places, but this isn't the case every single time). Some sequels definitely deserve the shit that they get, but some that may not change much, yet overall are continuing something from before or have that plus more to it, just get treated to the old 'eh, its the same thing, 6/10!' mentality.

Though I won't say DMC4 was all that great, since I just generally don't find Nero a good protagonist at all..its the same shit the whole way through with him, and when you finally get to play dante, its just backtracking through the levels you already did, fighting some of the same bosses for the second or third time, which is a bit ridiculous.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By brukaoru

DMC4 was not better "in every sense of the word," it was worse than DMC3. The story was awful, there was no upgradeable weapons for Nero, Dante's part was just backtracking through previous levels, I could go on. It was very disappointing.

The only reason Bayonetta is getting less attention than MadWorld is because MadWorld is releasing soon and Bayonetta still doesn't have a release date. Once the release date is announced, more people will be getting excited about it.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zitosilva

I can't say anything about Ninja Gaiden 2 because I didn't play, but DMC 4 was certainly a inferior game compared to the others for several reasons. Does it mean the game is bad? NO, it's fun. But the fact that it is a sequel to something that was already pretty good makes us expect it to be greater, bigger and better.