Jeff, Ryan and Brad done with writing articles?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bunnymud

All I see on the front page is Patrick, Patrick, Alex, Patrick and so on...

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TheGorilla

I think videos are probably a better use of their time. They have all the numbers so I presume that way more people watch their videos than read their articles. They still write stuff occasionally though. Alex's primary job is writing articles and it's a pretty big reason why Patrick was brought on in the first place.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mosespippy

They are pretty much video and review guys now. I'd expect them to do some writing around E3 but other than that it's Patrick's and Alex's job.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time they've written articles since they got news people is when they're recapping preview events or when they feel the need to write something.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wjb

Did they ever write articles regularly? Like, ever? Ever since Gamespot, all three have been review editors.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By algertman

Patrick's click bait articles take care of it.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By alexpiercey

@algertman said:

Of course, some asshole just had to show up.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KittyVonDoom

The sad irony here is that Patrick seems to be in more QL's than anyone else these days and reviews are super rare.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rattle618

I play vidjagames brah, I aint like no readin'

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Venatio
@KittyVonDoom said:

The sad irony here is that Patrick seems to be in more QL's than anyone else these days and reviews are super rare.

This^^^^ I enjoy reviews and I don't hate Patrick, I just prefer the other guys in Quick Looks, especially Vinny
killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By killacam

@President_Barackbar said:

The only time they've written articles since they got news people is when they're recapping preview events or when they feel the need to write something.

Such as the relationship between games tech and Triple H's hair. More of that please!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Humanity

@Venatio said:

@KittyVonDoom said:

This^^^^ I enjoy reviews and I don't hate Patrick, I just prefer the other guys in Quick Looks, especially Vinny

A world with six Vinny's ...

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By rentfn

I'm sure there will be previews of events in the future. Didn't Ryan just go to a SimCity event. Maybe there is am embargo on that and a story will be posted later. Maybe when they go to PAX there will be a couple of preview articles. I love their writing, I hope there are still more to come.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ajamafalous
@KittyVonDoom said:

Yeahhhhhhh.

@wjb said:

Did they ever write articles regularly? Like, ever? Ever since Gamespot, all three have been review editors.

For the first couple years of the site, most of the articles were Ryan or Brad with a smattering of Jeff.
Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@algertman said:

So he's an asshole because he's right?

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KittyVonDoom

@Venatio said:

@KittyVonDoom said:

Vinny + Jeff + any game = A reason to get excited about a Quick Look.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By AssInAss

@algertman said:

Thread locked in 3, 2, 1...

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By L33tfella_H

@Jace: Which of his articles would you describe as "click-bait" and could you please explain why you feel that way about them?

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By alexpiercey
@Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@algertman said:

No, you guys are both assholes for thinking that Pateick writes those articles for clicks. At this point, if you think anybody at Giant Bomb does ANYTHING, not with the users first in mind, you should just leave the site. Patrick writes what he's interested in. Not what he thinks will be the most popular.
Avatar image for deactivated-57f027c6197c3
deactivated-57f027c6197c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@L33tfella_H said:

@Jace: Which of his articles would you describe as "click-bait" and could you please explain why you feel that way about them?

If he has to explain then you too dumb to know

BOOM

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By abendlaender

@L33tfella_H said:

No! Don't start this again! It will never end well for anybody!

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jace

@L33tfella_H said:

Do I REALLY have to point out the elephant in the room? He condemns something like the dead island preorder, but praises games like Shadows of the Damned. A game that is the literal antithesis of everything he writes in regards to how he feels about sexism/feminism.

He is either baiting clicks with insanely opinionated edgy "news"(fucking stretching the term here) articles when it's convenient for him, or he doesn't really know where he stands on any of those issues.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pr1mus

It's a shame Brad doesn't do articles outside reviews because i find him to be easily the best writer with Alex. I almost never agree with his reviews but his choice of words and general phrasing just make him really interesting to read.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@algertman said:

No, you guys are both assholes for thinking that Pateick writes those articles for clicks. At this point, if you think anybody at Giant Bomb does ANYTHING, not with the users first in mind, you should just leave the site. Patrick writes what he's interested in. Not what he thinks will be the most popular.

Read my second post, I didn't only leave open the click motive option. He could also just be logically inconsistent. Which.....uh.....you know.....news.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alexpiercey
@Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@algertman said:

Read my second post, I didn't only leave open the click motive option. He could also just be logically inconsistent. Which.....uh.....you know.....news.

Just read your second comment. My opinion hasn't changed. The difference between Shadows of the Damned and the Dead Island is that one is a comedic game, and the other one is using sex appeal to boost sales. Shadows of the Danned doesn't take ANYTHING seriously. Dead Island tries to be taken as a serious, gritty, realistic game. It's all about context.

P.S. I do think that games need to tone down the sex appeal. Ever since it was first shown, I've been praying that Ken Levine finally realizes that Elizabeth is practically a pair of breasts on legs and does something to change her.
Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

When Jeff writes, it's the only time I don't feel like he's 90% burned out on games in general.

So yeah, I'd like to see him find something genuinely interesting enough to him that he would want to sit down and write about it.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JZ

Fuck articles! Who wants to read?

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RubberFactory

@Sgtpierceface said:

I do think that games need to tone down the sex appeal. Ever since it was first shown, I've been praying that Ken Levine finally realizes that Elizabeth is practically a pair of breasts on legs and does something to change her.

Take off her boobs, their sexist.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By algertman

@Sgtpierceface said:

@Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@algertman said:

Just read your second comment. My opinion hasn't changed. The difference between Shadows of the Damned and the Dead Island is that one is a comedic game, and the other one is using sex appeal to boost sales. Shadows of the Danned doesn't take ANYTHING seriously. Dead Island tries to be taken as a serious, gritty, realistic game. It's all about context. P.S. I do think that games need to tone down the sex appeal. Ever since it was first shown, I've been praying that Ken Levine finally realizes that Elizabeth is practically a pair of breasts on legs and does something to change her.

The fuck are you rambling out?

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By yukoasho

I find myself more put-off with the fact that most of the off-kilter stuff is hidden behind a paywall. Were it not for the quick looks, this would simply be another site.

ProLife_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ProLife_Zombie

I think the OP's statement highlights a bigger problem with this site. For anybody that's been here since the start, it's painful how little thought is put into content now. When they first started out one of the things that made this place great was their willingness to take risks and expand the format of what a gaming website could be. There was a lot of energy and they were having fun and you could see that in their videos and their stories. The level of energy around here now is next to nothing and they seem content to rehash the same old features again and again. Almost all the stuff I use to come to giantbomb for, I now go to other sites. I still check up here every once in a while - but it's always just a little bit depressing when I see the state of things.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By yukoasho

@ProLife_Zombie said:

I think the OP's statement highlights a bigger problem with this site. For anybody that's been here since the start, it's painful how little thought is put into content now. When they first started out one of the things that made this place great was their willingness to take risks and expand the format of what a gaming website could be. There was a lot of energy and they were having fun and you could see that in their videos and their stories. The level of energy around here now is next to nothing and they seem content to rehash the same old features again and again. Almost all the stuff I use to come to giantbomb for, I now go to other sites. I still check up here every once in a while - but it's always just a little bit depressing when I see the state of things.

Any recommendations? I'm always looking for new sites and podcasts.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Sgtpierceface said:

@Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@algertman said:

Ever since it was first shown, I've been praying that Ken Levine finally realizes that Elizabeth is practically a pair of breasts on legs and does something to change her.

Why? I don't understand your line or anyone's line of thinking when they say this. What is this stigma on the internet attached to having sexy female characters? Why can't there exist a female protagonist with massive boobs, and a gorgeous body and still be taken seriously? I mean almost every male character in any game ever is pretty much idealized, and there's nothing wrong with that. As an artist when I sketch a person, or a landscape or anything, I like to capture the beauty of it. That can literally mean idealizing something to look super beautiful be it male or female, or making a monster look particularly grotesque.

TechDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TechDJ

@Humanity said:

@Venatio said:

@KittyVonDoom said:

A world with six Vinny's ...

....and they're all playing Sleeping Dogs......and forgot to pick up the purse......

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sooty

Considering how often they are in the office I don't really know where all the work goes.

ProLife_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ProLife_Zombie

@YukoAsho: I'm sure you now of these already, but I really enjoy http://gameological.com/

It's got some clever and well written articles about all types of games, not just video games.

And then of course rockpapershotgun and eurogamer. Those three seem to be my goto sites these days.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mrfluke

well ryan and jeff seem like they are dealing with more business stuff and meetings that relate to cbsi as a whole considering they are some of the most senior members technically. they only review the big stuff at this point

brad apparently does scheduling and making sure they get review copies of games ( this was mentioned a while back). hes essentially their PR

i mean patrick and alex are the news people, so it doesnt surprise me that they do the most written content.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gogosox82

I love how a thread about why Jeff, Ryan, and Brad don't write more articles turns into ANOTHER argument about what Patrick writes about. If Patrick was really "clickbaiting", he would write about every single stupid rumor and gossip he hears about like Kutado does.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

Jesus the arguments by the Patrick-Haters are fricking ridiculous. How can shit like that not get punished by decent moderators? I'm sorry, I understand that Giantbomb isn't supposed to be strictly moderated but with shit like this that becomes more common with a large and growing userbase, what other choice is left.

I feel disgusted to read crap like that, which leads to nothing because it's obviously bullshit. Patrick articles are a mere cheap bait? He destroys just about 90% of other "video game journalists'" articles for crying out loud.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King

@LiquidPrince:

Depends on the level of writing at work. I'd name an example of a highly boobified character done right, but I can't really name any.

Avatar image for piqued_interest
Piqued_Interest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Piqued_Interest

Isn't Clickbait making a top ten list and then spreading each number across a separate page ala a site like Cracked?

I really dig Patrick's Worth Reading articles. Sure it is an aggregation like Kotaku, but it is a curated list making it far better then having to look at Kotaku every couple hours for fear of missing something cool/interesting/

Also see Jeff's article on Windows 8/BlazBlue on the Beta Site.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Video_Game_King said:

@LiquidPrince:

Depends on the level of writing at work. I'd name an example of a highly boobified character done right, but I can't really name any.

It's not necessarily about just big boobs. Whenever there is a character that is highly sexualized or sexy she gets disregarded as a non character. I mean Bayonetta was taken pretty much seen as a joke. And she is because of the tone the entire game sets. But if the story was more serious, people would be giving that game a lot more shit. I have faith that Elizabeth will be a well written character in Bioshock Infinite. To disregard her because she is voluptuous is fucking stupid. I don't know if some of these people have walked outside but there are girls out there in the real world. And they have boobs. Some of them are really big.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Video_Game_King

@LiquidPrince said:

To disregard her because she is voluptuous is fucking stupid.

Agreed. A character can be sexy and still have some depth. If they're defined almost entirely through their sexiness (such as EVA, the one example I was extremely reluctant to use), then it becomes a problem.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I'm with some others in wondering how Patrick manages to be the one writing and also in almost every Quick Look for the last few weeks. I just don't get what everyone is doing anymore.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Baillie

Patrick's like the John Cena of Giant Bomb.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By algertman

@ArtisanBreads said:

I'm with some others in wondering how Patrick manages to be the one writing and also in almost every Quick Look for the last few weeks. I just don't get what everyone is doing anymore.

Spending that subscriber money.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nux

Well Patrick IS there news guy so...

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By alexpiercey

@LiquidPrince said:

@Sgtpierceface said:

@Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@Jace

@Sgtpierceface said:

@algertman said:

Ever since it was first shown, I've been praying that Ken Levine finally realizes that Elizabeth is practically a pair of breasts on legs and does something to change her.

Why? I don't understand your line or anyone's line of thinking when they say this. What is this stigma on the internet attached to having sexy female characters? Why can't there exist a female protagonist with massive boobs, and a gorgeous body and still be taken seriously? I mean almost every male character in any game ever is pretty much idealized, and there's nothing wrong with that. As an artist when I sketch a person, or a landscape or anything, I like to capture the beauty of it. That can literally mean idealizing something to look super beautiful be it male or female, or making a monster look particularly grotesque.

Sure, it's not just for women. Men are overly sexualized as well. What I would love to see in games are characters that aren't mind-blowingly attractive, and not terribly ugly. Not many games offer a good middle ground. Why can Elizabeth not look like an average woman? I suppose in the case of Bioshock Infinite, the art style makes it a bit tougher to talk about realistic appearances, but in general, how often do main women characters have a small bra size? I can think of Alyx Vance and Faith off the top of my head, but not much more.

That said I can understand the argument from the other side. Recently, I read a response from a developer on Dead or Alive (I think) about how sexualized the characters in the franchise was. He said something along the lines of "we are creating these characters, and we want them to look good". Like I said, I can understand some of the logic behind this statement, but it depends entirely on the context. In a fighting game, we don't really grow that attached to our characters. When somebody plays a fighting game for the first time, they'll probably just pick the one that looks the coolest. This characters have to look good to draw users in, and then the games mechanics will keep them there

But when I play Bioshock Infinite, I am not playing to see a hot/sexy woman or man shoot a bunch of people. I'm there for the story, the setting, and the interactions of the characters (and, sure, for the shooting too). I don't need Elizabeth to be attractive. I need her to be smart, to be funny, to be a good person. And sure in a vacuum, it's fine they she looks good and attractive. If it was, I wouldn't care about her appearance. But it's not just Bioshock that does this.. The teaser for Cyberpunk 2077 didn't have to have a half-naked lady so prominently featured to get me interested in the setting. Cortana in Halo 4 didn't need to have a pair of balloons on her chest to get me to care about what happens to her and Master Chief. And Hitman: Absolution definitely didn't need a troupe of Battle Nuns to get me to want to play it.

So I see what you mean by saying that an attractive character can still be taken seriously. I mean, I'm pretty sure all the women in Saints Row The Third are made to be quite aesthetically-pleasing, but I took all of them pretty seriously (in the context of a comedy). Shaundi isn't supposed to just be eye candy. She's a person that I wouldn't want to fuck with, because I'm pretty sure she would kick my ass.

So it's fine for a character to be attractive. I just don't want either all characters to be attractive, or for the attractiveness to only be skin deep.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hungry

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

Jesus the arguments by the Patrick-Haters are fricking ridiculous. How can shit like that not get punished by decent moderators? I'm sorry, I understand that Giantbomb isn't supposed to be strictly moderated but with shit like this that becomes more common with a large and growing userbase, what other choice is left.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

It would be cool to see Jeff, Ryan, and Brad to write more (I really like the way they all put their opinions into writing) but I am fine with them not doing it either. Their E3 pieces and other writeups are always a pleasant treat.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Insectecutor

Patrick is over-exposed. I agree. I thought Giant Bomb was founded to get away from the terrible business/PR/marketing and political bullshit that engulfs the gaming industry and focus on the games, apparently not any more.

I am getting a little tired of it.