newhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By newhatter

Hey Everybody,

I built a PC this week, and I am ready to put it through its paces. I was hoping that some of you could suggest some "must play" titles. Some background: I have been exclusively playing on consoles for the last decade or so, as I have not had a computer capable of running anything remotely modern. I built this machine not only because consoles are starting to show their age graphically, but also because it seems like you can get some really unique experiences on the PC. So, what are those experiences? Great simulations? Great RPGs? Great anything that uses a mouse as its primary means of control? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

If you haven't checked out the Witcher games yet, do that. Witcher 1 is good but 2 is okay to jump into. It'll look nice on your computer too. Really interesting RPGs with choice but compared to Bioware, lots of grey areas. Also a really interesting world.

I highly recommend the Total War series for the type of thing you just can't get on a console. Strategy overworld with tactical battles that involve huge amounts of troops with real formations and everything. Rome Total War is my favorite in the series but the recent Shogun is great too.

Dawn of War II is awesome. It's basically a tactical action RPG, very unique and the Warhammer 40k universe is one of the best out there.

Mount and Blade is a very cool series that's far different than stuff you'd see on consoles. It's a medieval sim. You get to take control of a leader who can go around being a bandit, pleding allegiance to various factions, taking part in tournaments, and fighting in large battles. You can be infantry, but the real draw is the horseback riding and combat which is really awesome. It has a multiplayer and a great mod scene too. If you're interested, Warband is the best in the series and it's like $10 or so. The graphics are pretty low rent but the game is a blast.

Just a few recent ones that jump out to me. Have fun dude! I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By C2C

Starcraft 2 is a great PC only experience.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By fox01313

I'd say either go through some of the pc quick looks on the site or hit up steam/good old games. Either of these sites will give you a good collection to work with where the games are only on the PC or better on there. Depends really on how far back in the pc game library you are willing to go as there's some gems out there but not done recently.

newhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By newhatter

@ArtisanBreads: Thanks for the reply. I am a little intimidated by the RTS genre, to be honest. TBS is probably more my thing - so I may have to check out Total War.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@newhatter said:

@ArtisanBreads: Thanks for the reply. I am a little intimidated by the RTS genre, to be honest. TBS is probably more my thing - so I may have to check out Total War.

Well Total War does have real time battles but the overworld is all turn based. In the battles you have a pause function and it's easier to focus because it's not like Starcraft or something where you have to manage a base. It's just managing your troops themselves, which are all in big formations and there isn't a lot of micromanaging to it. It's basically all about positioning, flanking, protecting archers, that kind of thing.

Check out some videos to see if it's something you'd be interested in.

Now that I think about it, another interesting TBS game I really liked is Silent Storm, if you liked the recent XCOM. It's turn based with more micromanagement than XCOM has but more depth. Takes place in World War II. Not sure where it's still available, probably on GOG.com. That one's older but you probably haven't played it.

And if you are worried about Dawn of War II because you find RTS intimidating you should check out gameplay of that as well because it's really an action RPG, something like Diablo, more than an RTS really.

newhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By newhatter

@FritzDude: Civ V is definitely on my radar. Missed the Steam sale, though, for which I am now kicking myself.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By rentfn

Add me on Steam, I have an extra copy of Civ 5. Rentfn. Welcome to PC gaming!!!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs and Far Cry 3 for some really nice looking games.

newhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By newhatter

@rentfn: Wow. That is pretty gosh darn generous of you!

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Franstone

Looking at my Steam list for games not yet mentioned...

Company of Heroes

World in Conflict

Diablo III (whatever haters)

Any flight sim kicks all console ass, MS FSX, DCS A-10 Warthog, Wings of Prey.

Don't ignore any console games that you may not have played, most of the time they are better on PC.

Counterstrike: GO is pretty good and cheap.

Chivalry is fun n cheap as well.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By penguindust

Dragon Age Origins. It's lightyears better on the PC over the console.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Branthog

@newhatter said:

Hey Everybody,

I built a PC this week, and I am ready to put it through its paces. I was hoping that some of you could suggest some "must play" titles. Some background: I have been exclusively playing on consoles for the last decade or so, as I have not had a computer capable of running anything remotely modern. I built this machine not only because consoles are starting to show their age graphically, but also because it seems like you can get some really unique experiences on the PC. So, what are those experiences? Great simulations? Great RPGs? Great anything that uses a mouse as its primary means of control? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FTL is $5 on Steam right now.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Branthog

@PenguinDust said:

Dragon Age Origins. It's lightyears better on the PC over the console.

It also has the added benefit of not being Dragon Age 2 !

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

The Witcher 1 and 2. You could get 2 on 360 but the PC version looks really, really good.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat or Shadow of Chernobyl for open-world hardcore Eastern European buggy weird shooter post-apocalyptic goodness.

Crysis 1 is a different beast on PC than its console counterpart. OK, the levels and guns and stuff are the same, but it looks and runs so much better and the powers are separated.

Dragon Age Origins is also a game that plays a whole lot better with a mouse and keyboard. The console version plays fine but after seeing how much more I can do, and how much better I can do it, with a mouse and keyboard, I don't want to go back to a console for this game.

Battlefield 3, for the massive 64 player battles.

Team Fortress 2

Portal 2 for all of the user-made content. Also, every Bethesda game since Morrowind for the mods.

Finally, you have to play Half-Life at some point.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By me3639

If you want to test its power, Metro 2033, Witcher 2, Sleeping Dogs, and the original Crysis.

newhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By newhatter

Thanks everybody. Certainly keep the suggestions coming, but I definitely have a good base to start with now.