Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

According to The Daily Star, Bioware and LucasArts will unveil Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic MMO Next Month.

ARTICLE

Can't say I'm that excited, I love the KOTOR series a great deal but I honestly don't think it would be as good a MMO as it is a single play experience. MMO's are usually very poor at telling stories and the past KOTOR games have all been about the stories. It also feels a little unfair to those who have been waiting ages for a new Kotor but actually hate MMO's. Can't stand them, although I did love SWG but I suspect KOTOR MMO will be very much in the same World of Warcraft vain of games. Would have loved to see KOTOR 3 with todays tech, but I guess LucasArts can make more money with a MMO. I can see all the tacky specal appearances now :)

I think I'll pass and wait for Kotor 3 proper from who ever, even if its Obsidian. Not sure I want a MMO and I'd bet a lot of KOTOR fans would agree, one of the reasons I loved the past games because they weren't an MMO.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I agree to an extent, but I'd at least be willing to let them try it out.  I'm not going to shoot them down and say the game won't work before they even announce the details.  I'm looking forward to hearing more of what they say about this.  I think, if done properly, this can be a great MMO.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

I absolutely loved KOTOR and really enjoyed KOTOR 2 as well, but I've never been too into an MMO and I don't know how well this game would actually hold up against every other MMO out there. I would rather just see KOTOR3 that has a great story like the original, but has awesome real-time combat like a GoW game...that would be amazing!

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rowr

TRUST BIOWARE.

shits going to be awesome.

Three60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Three60

I've been trying to decide whether it would be a good idea or not for about a year, and I've decided that it would be. They don't have to follow the traditional format of giving you text to read with a few sound clips. It would take a bit longer, but they could still do the full conversation trees. They can still do the huge skill tree. All that really needs to change is adding in the other people, and maybe a modified version of the party system. Although I would assume that they would account for that with the other players.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By KindGalaxy

Well first of all, to the OP, this appears to be KOTOR 3, meaning you won't experience a singleplayer campaign KOTOR.
Anyway... I've pretty much given up on Lucas Arts, after various failings, an Unleashed not grabbing my personal attention, I can't see myself wanting to buy any product developed by the company; similar to Sierra about 4 years ago.
Bioware have already said they're not in the MMO Lucas Arts project, and hence are not making this MMO KOTOR/Star Wars game.  If it's not from Bioware than I couldn't care less. Bioware has Dragon Age, the Mass Effect trilogy, recently opened rights to the Baldur's Gate franchise from Interplay and Wizards of the Coast, and some unannounced projects, I can't see a company with just under 200 employees taking the brunt of a console trilogy, a purchase from EA for the entire company, a singleplayer focused PC game AND a KOTOR MMO with co-op from Lucas Arts. If anything their MMO is an independant property, they've already said their MMO is going to bridge the gap between storytelling and MMO gameplay; if they're tied to Lucas Arts than the latter is going to be significantly affected, especially if it is a KOTOR storyline, since the timeline for KOTOR is around 4000 years Before A New Hope. Their MMO is most likely an in-house intellectual property, and is therefore not KOTOR 3/MMO KOTOR. And reiterating; they've said as much. I can't wait for this MMO to be announced and Bioware's company line being no where near it's announcement and all the articles and forum posts on Bioware developing a KOTOR MMO slowly die out; they aren't making this project.

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zebadee

Imo I think they should make a mass effect mmo, the universe they created for it is incredible (plus the music is so damn awesome), it would be a shame to get another recycled Star Wars based game, however I wouldn't mind ;).

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8  Edited By OGCartman

I cant wait!!! =P
Hopefully it will live up to its high expecations.

Three60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Three60
KindGalaxy said:
"Well first of all, to the OP, this appears to be KOTOR 3, meaning you won't experience a singleplayer campaign KOTOR.
Anyway... I've pretty much given up on Lucas Arts, after various failings, an Unleashed not grabbing my personal attention, I can't see myself wanting to buy any product developed by the company; similar to Sierra about 4 years ago.
Bioware have already said they're not in the MMO Lucas Arts project, and hence are not making this MMO KOTOR/Star Wars game."
Well, anything is better than Star Wars Galaxies. Especially after they ruined it a couple years ago.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

October 21st, we get the "big announcement" apparently.

Honestly, I just don't see a KOTOR MMO being something worthwhile.  The original games were focused on moral choice, great storytelling, and a pretty deep RPG experience.  Needless to say, having played quite a few MMOs, I just don't see how KOTOR can be applied to the MMO model without losing one or more of those elements.  I don't honestly feel like any MMO game has been able to really get the storytelling mechanic down correctly.  Sure, the story is THERE...but if you don't read it, then what the hell does it matter?  I had never even read Van Cleef's story until 2 years after I started playing WoW!!!

On top of which, I know that Æon is supposed to work in some form of moral choice, dynamic branching stuff...but I don't see how you can work that into an MMO without fucking things up and unbalancing the entire game.  I would be afraid of the same thing happening in KOTOR.  Best example:  someone kills a quest giver.  That person is dead...forever.  It changes the world around you, but it also fucked up everyone who wanted to turn that quest in.

I don't know.  It could easily turn into a great and successful game, as BioWare doesn't have a bad track record.  However, they don't have a track record for making MMOs either.  =  /  
Three60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Three60

As I read the the moral choice thing, it gave me an idea. When you create your character, you could be a neutral character. As you go through the game, you become morally good or evil. From that, you become a part of a faction in the game, either good, neutral, or evil. That's about the only way I can see the moral stuff from the KotOR games work at all.

Cogito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cogito

It could be either really good, or really bad, like most things.
Nonetheless I'd be willing to give it a try.
We'll see how they do on their first MMO.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I'm not really into MMO's, if only for the fact that I have to shell out monthly fees. :p  I wish they would have stuck to the first game's style.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Gunner

im kinda iffy on it. If they can keep the immersion of a single player RPG and have all of the good parts of an MMO it might be worth picking up.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187
Three60 said:
"As I read the the moral choice thing, it gave me an idea. When you create your character, you could be a neutral character. As you go through the game, you become morally good or evil. From that, you become a part of a faction in the game, either good, neutral, or evil. That's about the only way I can see the moral stuff from the KotOR games work at all."
I will agree that using moral choice to lean over to one faction or the other would definitely make for an interesting change on a standard MMO tradition.  I think my biggest concern is how moral choice could potentially cause problems in an open and progressive world.  If you kill someone, they are dead...for good.  Plus, I mean...I don't know, I'm just not big on the idea of killing off a character in a dungeon and having him respawn again for everyone else to kill, because that again defeats the purpose of what KOTOR has been about over the last two games.  That's not even to mention that if you can sway over towards one faction, would you be able to sway back over to the other?  I'm sure that once you were far enough into the faction, there would be a point of no return...but God only knows.

Or maybe I'm looking too deep into it.  Maybe this alleged KOTOR MMO (because remember, it's not confirmed) could very easily be related mostly in name and art direction as the KOTOR games, while offering up its own unique style of gameplay in the MMO model.  However, the KOTOR brand itself carries specific expectations...as well as the Star Wars name (and in video games, the Star Wars name doesn't always end up being attached to GOOD products).  When I say expectations, I don't necessarily mean in quality though.  Let's face it:  KOTOR 1 > KOTOR 2.  Then again, Obsidian seems to enjoy taking the puzzles that BioWare makes, pulling it all apart, then trying to put it back together...but they try to put the wrong pieces in the wrong spots, and just push on them hard enough that they eventually fit - even if they are mangled all to Hell and back.

I told my die-hard KOTOR friend (his username on BF2 and WoW is Revan, if that's a clue) about this, and he was VERY unhappy.  He's also a diehard MMO player (3 accounts on WoW, 2 on GW, and 1 on WAR), which surprised me to hear that his favorite franchise being made into an MMO angered him so extremely.  So I don't know...maybe there is something wrong with bringing KOTOR to the MMO market.

I can only hope that they'll make this MMO work out well, but eventually, they will still put out a true single-player KOTOR game as well.
Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Bartiemus

I would like there to be a good star wars mmo and a new kotor game

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By serbsta

Ooooo, been waiting for this, should eb VERY interesting to say the least.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

It sounds like crap. Everyone wants to "MMO"-transform whatever IP they can get their hands on. It's just a cash grab. All you get is short, boring quests that allow you to barely advance in levels so you can keep the monthly money flowing in.  It's boring.  I'm pretty sure everyone gets tired of playing a cog in the machine with MMOs when they could've played the main hero in the single-player games.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mike

Anyone dug up anything recent on this alleged upcoming announcement?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Rowr

Nothing ever seems to be confirmed or denied with this game. Its weird.