Link has been Vanquished [SSC18]

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Edited By bonbolapti

Two Weeks in and My 3DS has kept my little bits of attention when I need something to do. Luckily Ocarina of Time 3D was there to keep my attention. I don't know if there's much to say about the game that I haven't already said thirteen years ago. It's Ocarina of Time and it's pretty great.

OH MY GOD, THIS OCARINA IS IN 3D!!
It looks sexier at least, smoother, more refined. A lot of the ugliness of N64 games is now wiped completely off the face of this package. If anything that's why I bought this, which actually marks this the 3 time I own this game. Once on it's launch day for the N64, twice when it was packaged as a gamecube game with Zeldas I, II, Majora's Mask, and a wind waker demo (I think?) But from my perspective I don't think I had too much else of a better reason to own this.

I suppose the master quests is a good enough reason.

It's a good enough purchase though, being Ocarina of Time, which a lot of people hail as the greatest Zelda game of all time. The 3D is amazing, that's all I need to say! The depth of field is actually quite complimentary to the world as you play. You really get that sense of how far things are apart from you, so the gameplay is much more immersive. If this whatever 3D gaming was supposed to be about, they really hit the nail on the head here.

Approval all around!

I'm pretty much just starting out in Link's Adult-hood too, and I've just beat the Forest Temple. So I'm actually going to pace myself a little for now, and complete this game before I inevitably pick up Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D. (Is anyone else picking that up by the way? 3DS party?) But I'm actually really glad that Ocarina of Time came out. I know I'm going to be slightly naggy about it and claim that I'm getting some sort of silly Zelda fatigue only because I want them to give it a different build for once. ( I like the game's engine as much as the next guy, but for some reason I just really want a change.) I mean, I'm not sure if I'm really up for playing Skyward Sword. I'm sure with 1:1 it's going to feel like a very different game.

Ocarina of time is just a classic though. It's something that I know I like, and yes if it was presented to me a completely different way, I'm going to buy into it. Hell, I'm all for remakes of old games. That's probably why I'll buy Starfox 64 3D! (also because it's the one Starfox game I never got to play.) But I think there's a lot of good games of older Saturn, N64, or PS1 systems that could really benefit from being redone, retold for the newer Generation. I'm obviously not talking about Upping Textures and calling it a day. I want to see Old games redone from the ground up for the HD era. I do love my Nostalgia a lot. But I also wouldn't mind seeing my Nostalgia prettier.

[This is open to the floor, how do you feel about the idea of remaking older games for the now generation?] 

This game has Action, and Paction to the Maction!
So Vanquish! Here we are, finally! I promised you before 2010 was over that I would play you but I guess I lied. Though I did not lie when I said I would dedicate any and all console gaming time to you when I could. SO THAT'S WHAT I DID.

Vanquish, is a good game, or a Great game... Maybe even an Amazing game, I can't decide which. From begin to end it feels like nothing but a 3rd person Bullet-hell. Seriously. Bullets are flying all over the place and I can't even figure out where they're coming from half the time. So being the cool casual playing dude I am, I played through on Normal and that was a damaging enough experience. I finished the game in 5h 46m and 31 deaths. A lot of the deaths were accidental. Or stupid mistakes, the way you die in Demon's Souls for making stupid mistakes. I was barely in cover because cover is for pussies, which also probably led to a lot of my inevitable deaths. But YOWZA.

My love for this game is that it is all action all the time. When the demo first came out I played it over and over again, because I just couldn't help but be in love with it. It was so fast and flashy. It made me feel awesome, running into the middle of a million gun fight and taking all of them down. So I knew I wanted to tackle the game when I had nothing else on my plate that I'd want to play.

I couldn't be happier. Sure it made me feel incredibly rusty as a gamer but again, I couldn't be happier. It still managed to be really fun, even at times where I was more that a little frustrated with 12 consecutive deaths. And it's theme is so goddamn American Macho Grande, real Hardcore. Sam and Burns throwing their best Solid Snake impressions at each other. It pumped me full of adrenaline and Manliness. If playing this game is a steroid I will happily take it, HOORAH!

LOUD NOISES!!!!
 LOUD NOISES!!!!
Being the short game that it is, I'm sad that I didn't play it sooner. It's worth it's price, and to be honest, I want to come back for more. Missions and things unlocked along the way that I want to try out, and I also wouldn't mind trying my patience to play through it for more trophies. I finished it with only 30% of them collected and I'll be damned if I don't man up and try it all on Hard difficulty. (But there's not fucking way I'm going to play it on God-Hard. I'm not that cool.)

Vanquish, you are my early contender for my 2011's 2010 game of the year. Hell. If I played you sooner, I would have knocked Nier square off of it's pedestal that I made just for it. <3

Other things:

• So I started this thing, and I don't know how long it's going to last. On my personal blog I've been doing a Link a Day. Just drawing him on a Real life Photograph somewhere. I think it's fun, mostly because it's tablet practice. I really want to use my tablet a lot more. So the current goal for myself. I'll be happy if I can at least make it through 20 days because we all know how hard 100 gets after a while.
  • Spiral Knights is cool not because of what it is, but for the fact that one of my favourite webcomic artists has worked on it.
  • We really haven't Podcasted in a while, I apologize for never having the time to do it. BUT MARK MY WORDS, TL;DL will live again. Hopefully soon.... Someone remind me?
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By bonbolapti

Two Weeks in and My 3DS has kept my little bits of attention when I need something to do. Luckily Ocarina of Time 3D was there to keep my attention. I don't know if there's much to say about the game that I haven't already said thirteen years ago. It's Ocarina of Time and it's pretty great.

It looks sexier at least, smoother, more refined. A lot of the ugliness of N64 games is now wiped completely off the face of this package. If anything that's why I bought this, which actually marks this the 3 time I own this game. Once on it's launch day for the N64, twice when it was packaged as a gamecube game with Zeldas I, II, Majora's Mask, and a wind waker demo (I think?) But from my perspective I don't think I had too much else of a better reason to own this.

I suppose the master quests is a good enough reason.

It's a good enough purchase though, being Ocarina of Time, which a lot of people hail as the greatest Zelda game of all time. The 3D is amazing, that's all I need to say! The depth of field is actually quite complimentary to the world as you play. You really get that sense of how far things are apart from you, so the gameplay is much more immersive. If this whatever 3D gaming was supposed to be about, they really hit the nail on the head here.

Approval all around!

I'm pretty much just starting out in Link's Adult-hood too, and I've just beat the Forest Temple. So I'm actually going to pace myself a little for now, and complete this game before I inevitably pick up Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D. (Is anyone else picking that up by the way? 3DS party?) But I'm actually really glad that Ocarina of Time came out. I know I'm going to be slightly naggy about it and claim that I'm getting some sort of silly Zelda fatigue only because I want them to give it a different build for once. ( I like the game's engine as much as the next guy, but for some reason I just really want a change.) I mean, I'm not sure if I'm really up for playing Skyward Sword. I'm sure with 1:1 it's going to feel like a very different game.

Ocarina of time is just a classic though. It's something that I know I like, and yes if it was presented to me a completely different way, I'm going to buy into it. Hell, I'm all for remakes of old games. That's probably why I'll buy Starfox 64 3D! (also because it's the one Starfox game I never got to play.) But I think there's a lot of good games of older Saturn, N64, or PS1 systems that could really benefit from being redone, retold for the newer Generation. I'm obviously not talking about Upping Textures and calling it a day. I want to see Old games redone from the ground up for the HD era. I do love my Nostalgia a lot. But I also wouldn't mind seeing my Nostalgia prettier.

[This is open to the floor, how do you feel about the idea of remaking older games for the now generation?] 

So Vanquish! Here we are, finally! I promised you before 2010 was over that I would play you but I guess I lied. Though I did not lie when I said I would dedicate any and all console gaming time to you when I could. SO THAT'S WHAT I DID.

Vanquish, is a good game, or a Great game... Maybe even an Amazing game, I can't decide which. From begin to end it feels like nothing but a 3rd person Bullet-hell. Seriously. Bullets are flying all over the place and I can't even figure out where they're coming from half the time. So being the cool casual playing dude I am, I played through on Normal and that was a damaging enough experience. I finished the game in 5h 46m and 31 deaths. A lot of the deaths were accidental. Or stupid mistakes, the way you die in Demon's Souls for making stupid mistakes. I was barely in cover because cover is for pussies, which also probably led to a lot of my inevitable deaths. But YOWZA.

My love for this game is that it is all action all the time. When the demo first came out I played it over and over again, because I just couldn't help but be in love with it. It was so fast and flashy. It made me feel awesome, running into the middle of a million gun fight and taking all of them down. So I knew I wanted to tackle the game when I had nothing else on my plate that I'd want to play.

I couldn't be happier. Sure it made me feel incredibly rusty as a gamer but again, I couldn't be happier. It still managed to be really fun, even at times where I was more that a little frustrated with 12 consecutive deaths. And it's theme is so goddamn American Macho Grande, real Hardcore. Sam and Burns throwing their best Solid Snake impressions at each other. It pumped me full of adrenaline and Manliness. If playing this game is a steroid I will happily take it, HOORAH!

LOUD NOISES!!!!
 LOUD NOISES!!!!
Being the short game that it is, I'm sad that I didn't play it sooner. It's worth it's price, and to be honest, I want to come back for more. Missions and things unlocked along the way that I want to try out, and I also wouldn't mind trying my patience to play through it for more trophies. I finished it with only 30% of them collected and I'll be damned if I don't man up and try it all on Hard difficulty. (But there's not fucking way I'm going to play it on God-Hard. I'm not that cool.)

Vanquish, you are my early contender for my 2011's 2010 game of the year. Hell. If I played you sooner, I would have knocked Nier square off of it's pedestal that I made just for it. <3

Other things:

• So I started this thing, and I don't know how long it's going to last. On my personal blog I've been doing a Link a Day. Just drawing him on a Real life Photograph somewhere. I think it's fun, mostly because it's tablet practice. I really want to use my tablet a lot more. So the current goal for myself. I'll be happy if I can at least make it through 20 days because we all know how hard 100 gets after a while.
  • Spiral Knights is cool not because of what it is, but for the fact that one of my favourite webcomic artists has worked on it.
  • We really haven't Podcasted in a while, I apologize for never having the time to do it. BUT MARK MY WORDS, TL;DL will live again. Hopefully soon.... Someone remind me?
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By vidiot

Kinda upset Master Quest is unlocked, AFTER you beat the game. I've played through Ocarina so many times I've lost count, I would rather do something new and I haven't played Master Quest yet.   

@bonbolapti said:

-Insert reminder here-
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Hopefully the success of OoT3D will lead to either Majora's Mask 3D or Wind Waker 3D. Or both.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By WickedCestus

Vanquish is fucking amazing, but it is also exhausting. I found myself having to play in 4 minute sittings because the frenetic gameplay would just leave my brain completely unable to function after a while. If 2010 hadn't been the best year for video games ever, it could have taken top spot.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bonbolapti
@vidiot: That's kind of how I felt about it. Could have been nice to go to Master Quest right off the bat. : / and thank you.

@MariachiMacabre: haha well here's hoping.

@supermike6: I definitely had a moment where, I took a break in a spot, and when I got back to the game I died 4 or 5 times just getting back into it remembering what the hell was going on.
buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By buft
@bonbolapti: I also thoroughly enjoyed vanquish and approve of your anchorman quote
Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Simplexity

@MariachiMacabre: Wind Waker 3d would be so sick.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hehe, you say things in the vain of "what can I say?" and "that's all I need to say about it." After which you proceed to talk about Zelda for another 3 paragraphs :)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, Ocarina of Time on the N64 is ugly? I'd replay it to prove you wrong, but I have one rule about replaying games I've already beaten: never make them relevant to anything. Why do you think I played Knuckles Chaotix for my latest blog?....Hint hint.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bonbolapti
@buft: I'm not going to lie, that quote was subconsciously thrown in there. hahaha

@S0ndor: yeah, I think I meant I didn't have much to say about the game itself considering it wasn't the first time played it. the rest was just supposed to be about it as a 3DS game :S

@Video_Game_King: All n64 games are ugly, So there's nothing to prove. :P That's right, play games that you've already played before! dance monkey! DANCE! MWAHAHAHHAHA

@SaltyPancakes: hahaha, if it's one thing you can rely on with that game is Sam and Burns Constantly being dicks to each other.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@bonbolapti

Really? Have you played Majora's Mask? Or Conker's Bad Fur Day? Or Banjo Tooie? Or Star Fox 64?

I already am, so it's kind of a moot point.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vanquish was amazing. I think it's Platinum's best game, better than Bayonetta. That rumor where Brad said it was made for about 5 million dollars makes it that much more incredible.

It's too bad Platinum is a Sega thing. They should've signed with a Western publisher that could actually recognize their talent and put it to good use.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bonbolapti
@Video_Game_King: yeah I have played those (minus Star fox 64) . It doesn't make the games bad by any means. They play fine and have good stories and what not, blah blah blah. but visually a lot of N64 games are just fuzzy or horribly textured, sloppy designs. Again, this doesn't make it bad. You can continue to list N64 games, it's not going to change my opinion. :P It's half why I would like to see N64 remakes on the 3DS because if there is the handful of N64 games that I really like then something like this is really beneficial.

@Brodehouse: I read that Platinum game only had a certain amount of games under contract with Sega. I was thinking Vanquish was the last one, so if Platinum makes another game, we'll just have to see who the published is.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@bonbolapti

But the games still look pretty good. Hell, I played one a few days ago. I'd blog about it, but I beat Half-Life an hour or two ago, so there's that.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bonbolapti
@Video_Game_King: oh don't kid yourself, you'll blog about it hahaha
Avatar image for commodoregroovy
CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

You and Ossi should totally start up the 100 challenge again. You're like... half there already. =p

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By TheFreeMan

I feel like the only person on giantbomb that was disappointed by Vanquish, but I'm glad that everybody else is digging it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
@bonbolapti

I know I will, but no way in hell will it be in my next blog.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bonbolapti
@CommodoreGroovy said:
You and Ossi should totally start up the 100 challenge again. You're like... half there already. =p
Quoted to think about. hahaha (though, he's actually pretty much further into the challenge 100 than I am. 

@Ossi: I could definitely see Nintendo making an impressive 3D Zelda game from the ground up. AND with the proof of concept that is Excitebike 3D I've been thinking about how cool it would be to see a much deeper NES game getting the 3D experience. (as cool as the little things are, this would be a gold mine.) But BOOM! OoT3D is wicked and I'll be looking forward to Starfox. later I'll probably be compiling my dream list of games I would like to see get this treatment hahaha
halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By halberdierv2

we bon, my brother just got a 3DS (albeit with no games yet) so maybe you can have a 3DS party soon.

Avatar image for masterindisguise
Masterindisguise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By Masterindisguise

I love Vanquish. I would not mind if that game was 100 hrs long lol. I never got tired of that game. when you slide down, I felt the  adrenaline inside me kick up which I like.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bonbolapti
@Halberdierv2: wicked. I'll PM you my friend code