Looking for some good turn-based strategy games.

Mcubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Mcubed

I'm a big fan of turn based strategy games such as Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Jeanne D'Arc, etc. and am looking for some new ones. I doesn't matter really which platform it's on, though I would prefer either psp, or ipod touch as I think this genre works great on handhelds. Other platforms I have available are PS3, 360, and PC. Now for some reason I wasn't able to get into the Disgaea games, and Final Fantasy tactics was just a little too much for me, but I'll happily take any suggestions.  Thanks guys!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
Lost odyssey  

One you get past the first disk its a great game. Course it is a JRPG...but it is turn based. 
mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mano521

the only hanheld turnbased "strategy" game i played was pokemon 

if you want a real turn based strategy game id check out civ 5

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the GBA is pretty good. It's a lot easier than the original FFT, and it's very addictive. 

There's also Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, but I haven't played it.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By thatfrood

Most of the games you are listing aren't Turn Based Strategy (tbs) but Turn Based Tactics games. Turn Based Strategy games would be like the Civilization series or Europa Universalis. X-com is probably one of the most famous examples of such a game on the pc (the Might and Magic series also is pretty noteworthy), but the games you list are more in keeping with the japanese Tactical RPG genre, in which case I'd recommend something like Valkyria Chronicles, which has a mesh of tactics turn based gameplay and real time gameplay.

Primarily, I play these sorts of games on pc (I play pretty much everything on pc :/), and so I can't help but turn you in the direction of the King's Bounty series, as it is one of the most recent and best Tactical Turn Based RPGs.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Seedofpower

Total war and Civ is what comes to mind. Though those really don't have what comes in the way of RPG elements like you are used to playing. You can find those on steam.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By icicle7x3
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

Fire Emblem everything. That is all.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater
X-COM: UFO Defense is an excellent choice and right up your alley if you are into these kinds of tactical games. It's also $5. I would also say FFT and Disgaea, but you said you aren't really interested in those. Have you considered playing the Japanese Fire Emblems? Those games are of the best in the series, have fan made translation patches, and could probably run on a jailbroken PSP or iTouch if you wanted them to. The SNES ones especially.

I also have to do the obligatory Heroes of Might and Magic plug, even if that isn't exactly the type of game you are listing, because that series is excellent and the first 3 are on Good Old Games for $10 each. If you have to choose, get III, but you can't go wrong with II and V (on steam) either. Maybe Disciples II and King's Bounty too.
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By TomA

the campaign mode in Medieval II has taken over my life.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By BrittonPeele

Highborn on the iPhone is pretty alright, and it's got a great sense of humor. Cheap, too.

And Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is new on the PSP. That one's a classic, and this version is supposed to be fantastic. It's VERY similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, though, so you may not be into it.

I could make a few DS suggestions, but you say you don't have one, soooo... Those are the two that come to mind off the top of my head.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@Mcubed said:
" I'm a big fan of turn based strategy games such as Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Jeanne D'Arc, etc. and am looking for some new ones. I doesn't matter really which platform it's on, though I would prefer either psp, or ipod touch as I think this genre works great on handhelds. Other platforms I have available are PS3, 360, and PC. Now for some reason I wasn't able to get into the Disgaea games, and Final Fantasy tactics was just a little too much for me, but I'll happily take any suggestions.  Thanks guys! "
Steel Panthers Word at War.  It's free.
m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By m1k3
Valkyria Chronicles? its on PS3 and PSP. its really anime-ish though. but one of the hidden gems on the PS3
BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By BrittonPeele

Just remembered a couple more. Shining Force is old, but a classic (I know it's on the iPhone and Xbox Live Arcade. Might be on PSN, too. Also available in Sonic's Genesis Collection, along with other games in the series), and I haven't played it myself, but Valkyria Chronicles may appeal to you.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#15  Edited By gla55jAw

I haven't played it yet, but Saiyuki: Journey West just came out on PSN for $5.99. I'm going to pick it up and try it out soon. I didn't like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance because it wasn't as deep as Final Fantasy Tactics, but it may be what you're looking for. I also haven't played Tactics Advance 2.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ekajarmstro

You can try out Battle for Wesnoth. It has 6 or so factions, multiple campaigns, multiplayer, and HEXES! I really like it, and you can get it on PC/Mac/Linux for free.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Just started Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, pretty sure the FFT(A) team worked on it.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By august
Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Juno500
@MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
" Just started Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, pretty sure the FFT(A) team worked on it. "
It was directed by the same guy who directed FFT, Yasumi Matsuno.