Microsoft demands content, release date parity for 360 games

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By benjaebe

In an interview with Eurogamer, European Xbox boss Chris Lewis revealed that per their third-party release guidelines all titles must have content and release date parity or they reserve the right to not publish the game. He also goes on to highlight why he thinks this ensures an "even playing field," even though companies like Sony and Valve will regularly allow Xbox Live-first titles on their platform. 
The specifics of the policy can be seen below, as well as more in the whole article here:  

So I ask, is it unreasonable that they ask this or is it a way to throw around their considerable weight to the detriment of people who just like to play games? Certainly explains a lot of screwy release dates and exclusive content deals.

"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available," it reads.

"If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."

Also a response from an anonymous publisher that I found interesting: 

One representative from a publisher who wished to remain anonymous told Eurogamer Microsoft's policy blocks developers from taking advantage of other platforms' strengths.

"Microsoft is suggesting that anything but parity will result in them not carrying a title. They may think this is competitive, but it's not. They are killing any creative exposure of titles to make up for their own platform's shortcomings."

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

Wow, that's fucked up...

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

Microsoft being douchebags. Nothing new here.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thehexeditor

Micro$oft.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Slaker117

Really? Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. No one is entitled to release their games on Mircosoft's platform, and if they want to, I think it's reasonable for Microsoft to ensure that they are not getting a gimped version of the game. I would have no problem with anyone having this policy.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

Don't Sony have some similar policy where they demand that late PS3 ports have bonus content?

This is way harsher though. But I suppose it won't affect many games.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

Seems pretty fair to me, console exclusive crap is bullshit. That goes both ways.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deanoxd

@Slaker117 said:

Really? Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. No one is entitled to release there games on Mircosoft's platform, and if they want to, I think it's reasonable for Microsoft to ensure that they are not getting a gimped version of the game. I would have no problem with anyone having this policy.

thats not what the policy is for, its meant to keep developers who have a PS3 game ready to go but the 360 version is 6 months off they can't release on PS3 first and then the 360 because MS will refuse sighting not release parity. i don't think it has anything to do with gimped products.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By lebkin

@DeanoXD said:

thats not what the policy is for, its meant to keep developers who have a PS3 game ready to go but the 360 version is 6 months off they can't release on PS3 first and then the 360 because MS will refuse sighting not release parity. i don't think it has anything to do with gimped products.

I think it is about stopping delayed releases. But I think it is also to try and stop things like LA Noir and its PS3 exclusive case. Or Batman: Arkham Asylum and its Joker challenge maps.

Of course, the solution to that is online redemption codes. Note the policy talks about "on-disc content" parity.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Icemael said:

Don't Sony have some similar policy where they demand that late PS3 ports have bonus content?This is way harsher though. But I suppose it won't affect many games.

The PSP certainly had a stipulation like this, any game ported to it had to have extra content. That's why so many early PSP games had pointless minigame features tacked on.

Wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 has similar policies.

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By coryrx8

I can't say that I'm opposed to this. I'm apparently in the minority here, but I love stereoscopic 3D. I'm sick of having to choose between stereoscopic 3D on PS3 or playing online with my friends on 360 (the lion's share of my friends are anti-Sony) because Sony slipped the developer a little extra cash for exclusive features.

Honestly, that's what I'm really sick of: bribes for special treatment. If you want exclusive content, then make it yourself or find something exclusive to publish. If this policy makes it harder for both Microsoft and Sony to bribe their way into getting exclusive content (or temporarily exclusive content for that matter) then some good came out of it.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slaker117
@DeanoXD: The specific quote pulled in the OP demands context and feature parity. I would call a game lacking context and features another version has "gimped". Even ignoring that, the same reasoning still applies. Microsoft doesn't want to be anyone's backup date, and they are attractive enough to ensure that they aren't. This is well within their rights, and you can't blame them for trying to protect their own interests.
deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deanoxd

@Slaker117 said:

@DeanoXD: The specific quote pulled in the OP demands context and feature parity. I would call a game lacking context and features another version has "gimped". Even ignoring that, the same reasoning still applies. Microsoft doesn't want to be anyone's backup date, and they are attractive enough to ensure that they aren't. This is well within their rights, and you can't blame them for trying to protect their own interests.

it sounds to me as MS using a policy because of sour grapes, why is it bad that Sony was able secure exclusive content that yes some might think the games are not on par with each other, but MS is much more guilty of this, with the GTA 4 exclusive content, all of the Call of duty content. So i agree they can do whatever they want, but if a competitor is able to wrangle some exclusive content on their platform and it won't ever make it to the 360 tough shit for MS and if they tell a dev that they won't let their game come out on their platform because of it, well MS is just a bunch of fucking cry babies.

and for the record i play 98% of my games on my 360.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slaker117
@DeanoXD: I see how it could make them look a bit fussy, but I guess I'm just saying I don't care about that. From a business standpoint it's legitimate and understandable, so I take no issue with it.

I also have no problems with exclusive content on any platform, that's also "just business".
Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Devoid

I'd certainly have more pity for Microsoft about this if they didn't spend so much of their own money snagging timed exclusives and other such.

It's a fine idea, yeah, but this is a bit rich coming from them.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Kazona

@DeanoXD: Another way to look at this is that Microsoft was smart enough to include this in their guidelines, while Sony wasn't. It has nothing to do with being "a bunch of fucking cry babies". It is simply a shrewd bussiness move.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deanoxd

@Slaker117 said:

@DeanoXD: I see how it could make them look a bit fussy, but I guess I'm just saying I don't care about that. From a business standpoint it's legitimate and understandable, so I take no issue with it. I also have no problems with exclusive content on any platform, that's also "just business".

agreed, i could really care less either let MS do whatever they want, but the story does make them look petty in my opinion.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By James_ex_machina

MS being MS.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Devoid said:

I'd certainly have more pity for Microsoft about this if they didn't spend so much of their own money snagging timed exclusives and other such.

It's a fine idea, yeah, but this is a bit rich coming from them.

Perhaps it's because I haven't been paying attention to too many 360 games lately, but I thought Sony's been a lot worse for this lately.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#20  Edited By KillyDarko

Everything made sense as soon as I read Microsoft...

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@thehexeditor said:

Micro$oft.

Witty.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#22  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I don't see this mattering in the long run. Let's say Assassin's Creed: Revelations had one extra on-disc mission for the PS3, I think Microsoft knows they'd be making a mistake turning that game away. Even if the example were a smaller game, I don't think Microsoft would be stupid enough to force exclusivity to a competing console because of this policy.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By benjaebe
@Sleepy_Insomniac said:

I don't see this mattering in the long run. Let's say Assassin's Creed: Revelations had one extra on-disc mission for the PS3, I think Microsoft knows they'd be making a mistake turning that game away. Even if the example were a smaller game, I don't think Microsoft would be stupid enough to force exclusivity to a competing console because of this policy.

See, my main concern with the policy isn't with games published by big name publishers who have their own weight they can throw around - it's more about smaller games and indie devs that would probably be pushed around a lot more by the restrictions. I'm sure this has happened before. They're kind of forcing you into a position where if you only have the resources to focus on one system you'll focus on the Xbox because if you come out somewhere else first, be it Steam or PSN, Microsoft might not let you release it.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By Icemael
@Sleepy_Insomniac said:

Ubisoft (and indeed any developer) has far more to lose than Microsoft in that situation. I think they'd budge if Microsoft even so much as hinted that they'd block Revelation's Xbox 360 release if the game had PS3-exclusive content.
swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By swoxx

They're a business. Why is anyone shocked?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Enigma777

@lebkin said:

@DeanoXD said:

I think it is about stopping delayed releases. But I think it is also to try and stop things like LA Noir and its PS3 exclusive case. Or Batman: Arkham Asylum and its Joker challenge maps.

Of course, the solution to that is online redemption codes. Note the policy talks about "on-disc content" parity.

Then it's even worse. I can't even think of a conference where MS hasn't bragged about their timed exclusivity of COD DLC, and there's the whole "Better with Kinect" crap they're bolting on to upcoming releases like ME3.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

And Sony has a policy that games released after the 360 verison have exclusive content or said game wont get a green light...Namco Bandai brought light to it a long time back.