• 96 results
ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By ventilaator

I'm gonna say Bulletstorm. I find it crazy how it had the best story and characters in any FPS game I've ever played,but the general consensus is that the game is stupid, juvenile and immature.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By kingzetta
@louiedog said:
@kingzetta said:
@louiedog: This gen my friend, the adventure games were very good.
I thought Brutal Legend was great, but I only played it recently and new exactly what it was going in. The marketing of that game was a complete failure. You can't just surprise people with a type of game they aren't expecting.   His studio has also been pumping out some of the best downloadable games on consoles, at least for me. I won't pretend they've been perfect, but I've had a lot of fun with them and I wouldn't call any of Double Fine's four games of this generation bad.
Brutal legend had the best first two hours of any game ever, the 10 hours after not so much. 
I beat it, The reason I hate is because of it's waste of an amazing premise.
emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By emem
@louiedog said:
@emem said:
The first that comes to mind is Singularity.
Yes. That game was really good. I enjoyed it a lot more than the single player from just about any other shooter I've played this gen.
Yep, same here. The metascore of 76 is a joke, imho.
intoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By intoblivion

Halo Reach, its probably the best Halo game ever, yet it seems to be put in the same category as the likes of ODST 

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By SSbabel

Majoras Mask re- release in the Wii store.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By luce

People are saying Alice Madness Returns is underrated. I've yet to try it myself though

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#57  Edited By Lazyaza

If you mean underrated in terms of reviews then definitely Lost Planet 2,  I fucking loved LOVED that game.  Best co-op I've ever experienced.

But in terms of less than ideal sales? Enslaved, Darksiders and Bayonetta for sure.  If you have the opportunity to play them people, go play them for god sake please!

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Doctorchimp

Bayonetta.

Internet overhype award gladly goes to Alan Wake.

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By Riddell
Lost Odyssey

The ONLY game that has brought a tear to my eye.
jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By jtmosh

I don't know if I'd say it's the most underrated, but I recently played Dark Sector and enjoyed it quite a but.

Singularity is really great as well.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ShockD
@emem said:
Oh yeah, that one. Great game.
WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
@Doctorchimp said:

Bayonetta.  Internet overhype award gladly goes to Alan Wake.

I wouldn't say underrated, more ignored by the mainstream, but it is indeed one of the standout games of this generation. 

No More Heroes for me, I heard so many conflicting things about it over the years that I had no expectations for when I finally played it. I loved it, even down to the crazy jobs which everyone seems to hate. 

@mazik765  said: 
Viva Pinata.
Oh yes, I got a lot of jokes at my expense  whenever I was playing this and in an online party. Most just see it as a kids game, but the endgame gardening is no joke, stressful stuff. 

Having just recently played it I'll nominate No More Heroes. I heard so many conflicting things about it over the years that I had no expectations for when I finally played it. I loved it, even down to the crazy jobs which everyone seems to hate.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Doctorchimp
@WatanabeKazuma said:
@Doctorchimp said:
I wouldn't say underrated, more ignored by the mainstream, but it is indeed one of the standout games of this generation.   No More Heroes for me, I heard so many conflicting things about it over the years that I had no expectations for when I finally played it. I loved it, even down to the crazy jobs which everyone seems to hate.
The mainstream is the only stream that matters.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#64  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yes, Deadly Premonition is a very underrated game. It deserves more than the perfect 10 it got on the fucking cover.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By NickBOTT
@GeekDown said:

Even though Alan Wake was pretty well received it gets way more shit than it deserves.

This. And love the Agent Cooper avatar Geekdown!
WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
@Doctorchimp said:
@WatanabeKazuma said:
@Doctorchimp said:
I wouldn't say underrated, more ignored by the mainstream, but it is indeed one of the standout games of this generation.   No More Heroes for me, I heard so many conflicting things about it over the years that I had no expectations for when I finally played it. I loved it, even down to the crazy jobs which everyone seems to hate.
The mainstream is the only stream that matters.
...Thats life :( 
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By kishan6

Cod Mod 2

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68  Edited By Junkerman
@WinterSnowblind:  I agree about Alpha protocol.  Although its many flaws are apparent, it has easily become one of the favorite games I've played in the last year.  In this case though, I feel all the horrible reviews helped in some small ways, because I was expecting the game to turn out magnitudes worse then it actually was.
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#69  Edited By Hector

I'd say Enslaved and Shadows of The Damned will soon join the ranks.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Karl_Boss

Glad to see that people still don't understand the difference between underrated and underappreciated.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#71  Edited By ajamafalous

@Klei said:

@RedDragon123: I can't agree with Deadly Premonition. Everybody knows of this game due to its horrid reviews and overall media coverage.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#72  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
Glad to see that people still don't understand the difference between underrated and underappreciated.
Exactly. Should I just make a "Most Underappreciated Game This Gen" thread?
jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By jay_ray

I enjoyed Too Human, yeah it wasn't great but I think it gets more shit then it deserves.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By redbliss

Depends on who you are talking about. Underrated by media or by gamers? If you are talking about gamers, then I would say Far Cry 2 and Grand Theft Auto 4. If you are talking about media, then I would say Nier or Resonance of Fate. 

Also, gamers heavily underrated the early rare games of this gen. Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, Viva Pinata, and even Nuts and Bolts. Gamers want to blame MS for what Rare has become, but gamers didnt buy Rare's games and for that we are the ones to blame.

sushisteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By sushisteve

I've been enjoying Trenched quite a bit, I think I'll have to go back and check out doublefine's previous offerings if they have the same level of charm, if not playability.

@emem said:

Exactly. Sure, it is kind of a mash up of Half Life, and Bioshock with Red Alert's alternate history Soviet atmosphere but it felt like they stole some of the best parts of those games.

It feels very average at first, but it does some really interesting things with the game mechanics, and was a lot of fun to play. When I saw the brief time portal stuff in the Bioshock Infinite trailer I started thinking of this game's neat time travel mechanics. I wish they'd come out with a new one sometime.

Could Freedom Fighters be considered an overlooked game? Not this gen, but I'm sad to see only first person shooters tackling the whole 'Russkie Invasion' thing while the studio who made it working on other projects instead of creating a sequel.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By pweidman

Most games offered in this thread received decent to good scores, so they aren't underrated by too much. Two that come to my mind are Ninety-Nine Nights II, and The Last Remnant. Both received poor scores, and both were a total blast imo. Lost Planet 2 was underrated overall but not to the degree as these two games. Too Human can go here as well but many really did appreciate it so that battle's long over for me, lol.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#77  Edited By ericdrum

Whenever this question is brought up, I think of Too Human.

Mike512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Mike512

Transformers: War For Cybertron

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#79  Edited By Yanngc33

Castlevania lords of shadow

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Darksidders

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Badhands

I am not going to lie, I hated everything about Deadly Premonition until I heard it was a lot like Twin Peaks.... so i rented it and ohhhhh man that game is actually kind of decent. Not like GOTY 2010 or anything even close but I was pleasantly surprised.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Tennmuerti

Alpha Protocol

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Binman88

Cryostasis. Genius atmosphere and level design and a fantastic looking game to boot. Absolutely a game that has been glossed over by the majority, but should be looked to by developers for an insight in how to make a truly immersive and unique first person adventure.

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Anjon

This generation? Underrated? Bayonetta maybe? I don't know. Too many games have come out this generation, and I generally love niche titles anyway. Actually, I'm going to say Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Tsoglani

I reckon Just Cause 2 was pretty underrated, and I also believe that Nier was too. People hated on Nier because of the graphics, but it is one of the better and more unique games to hit us this gen.

For some reason, The Saboteur also keeps popping into my mind: had a very enjoyable time with playing as an irishman in the French Resistance!

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By amir90

Nier and Alan Wake.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Loose

I agree wholeheartedly that Ghost Trick was under-appreciated. Seriously, that game was fucking rad. I haven't really played any games that I thought were under-rated so far this gen, although I've played far less games this gen than last so it's possible that some have gone under my radar.

Mike512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Mike512
@Tennmuerti said:
Alpha Protocol
No one was more hyped up about that game than me and it was a big disappointment. It wasn't even an RPG, it was just a shooter with some dialogue between missions. The shooting mechanics sucked too and that was a huge part of the game. The way you talk with people and have a time limit to respond was good and the customization you did with all the weapons was great but the story and shooting mechanics really dragged the game down.
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Mike512 said:

@Tennmuerti said:
Alpha Protocol
No one was more hyped up about that game than me and it was a big disappointment. It wasn't even an RPG, it was just a shooter with some dialogue between missions. The shooting mechanics sucked too and that was a huge part of the game. The way you talk with people and have a time limit to respond was good and the customization you did with all the weapons was great but the story and shooting mechanics really dragged the game down.
  1. about a third of the game was just dialogue, so no it is not just some dialogue between missions
  2. how was it not an RPG? it has pretty much everything most people would say an RPG needs: leveling/customization, skills, perks, loot, equipment/gear customization, dialogue choices and actions that affect the overall storyline
  3. shooting is only a huge part of the game if that's how you choose to play it, you can play it without shooting at all
  4. almost everyone who disliked AP whines how it was a bad shooter (gee I wonder why?)
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By toowalrus

Brütal Legend. If you went into it knowing it was an RTS where you could land on the ground and bash dudes with your axe, that had an open-world bit between story missions, it was fucking awesome.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By napalm

Vanquish. Challenging and rewarding. 

That's just the first one off the top of my head, but I think it suits the title.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Getz

@WinterSnowblind said:

Alpha Protocol and Mafia 2. I think they were both excellent games that fans of those genre's would love.. but because they got bad reviews, they were immediately written off and things not worth playing.

I agree with Alpha Protocol; there were some amazing moments in that game that no one got to see. I'm hesitant to call Mafia 2 "underrated" because I think reviewers called it like it was: a decent action game with a decent story and decent writing, that didn't bring anything new to the table. It's got a 74 metascore, and that sounds about right to me.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#94  Edited By Hizang

Croc, sure it was flawed but I really did like some of the things it did, and man that music! 

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Anund

@Hizang said:

Croc, sure it was flawed but I really did like some of the things it did, and man that music!

Doesn't look much like current gen to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost Odyssey.