• 96 results
mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mutley

What game do you think was a underrated gem that you think should be appreciated more?

For me it has to be either Deadly Premonition.

It has some amazing characters there and one of the most best protagonists ever (Francis York Morgan)

Or Ghost Trick-

From the guy who made Phoenix Wright, This game features some of the most best animations I've ever seen in a DS game and has some awesome puzzles and a great story lines.

What about you guys?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By imsh_pl
@RedDragon123: Why do you think Ghost Trick was underrated?

It received great critical acclaim and positive reviews.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Alpha Protocol and Mafia 2. I think they were both excellent games that fans of those genre's would love.. but because they got bad reviews, they were immediately written off and things not worth playing.

I also think Too Human was a very enjoyable dungeon crawler. It had flaws, but really didn't deserve such scathing reviews.

mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mutley

@imsh_pl: I think I'm getting confused with under-appreciated than underrated.

I meant in terms of games that are completely off peoples radar but turned out to be a enjoyable game.

Sorry about that, I'll try and make it clear in the OP.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By Danteveli

Not a big fan of Ghost trick - it was not my type of humor. I bet Shadows of the Damned will be most underrated this gen.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@RedDragon123: If that's the case, Deadly Premonition definitely does not fit into the definition of under-appreciated. Everybody (in our common circle) knows about that game. (Or maybe I'm getting confused by terminology here, too)

Ghost Trick and Radiant Historia, on the other hand, are pretty much under-appreciated. Both of those games sold real badly for how good they are and it's sad.
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FourWude

NIER.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@WinterSnowblind said:

Alpha Protocol and Mafia 2. I think they were both excellent games that fans of those genre's would love.. but because they got bad reviews, they were immediately written off and things not worth playing.

I also think Too Human was a very enjoyable dungeon crawler. It had flaws, but really didn't deserve such scathing reviews.

Alpha Protocol yes...Mafia 2 was shit...collecting the playboy posters was nice though.
KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#9  Edited By KillyDarko

I'm probably missing a few, but from the top of my head, Alpha Protocol and Velvet Assassin.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Steve_C

I quite agree with Ghost Trick. I played it a couple of months ago and it might be my favourite game of the year so far (though admittedly I haven't played too much 2011 stuff).

I've also got a copy of Enslaved waiting to be played. Very curious to see how it is.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By nintendoeats

Alpha Protocol is a good answer, but at present I'm inclined to go with Duke Nukem Forever. It's not a good game by any reasonable standard, but it seems to me to be a solid 3/5, with enough variety to stand up somewhat against your typical military shooter.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By cosi83

999 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors 

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By GeekDown

Even though Alan Wake was pretty well received it gets way more shit than it deserves.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Revan_NL

Alpha Protocol comes to mind. Also, I really enjoyed playing The Saboteur, the last game of Pandemic. It wasn't perfect, but it just was something about the atmosphere in the game, I dunno.

mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mutley

@cosi83: I so wish I could play that...

They haven't released it in the UK :(

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ImBigInJapan

@GeekDown said:

Even though Alan Wake was pretty well received it gets way more shit than it deserves.

The problem with Alan Wake is that it was pretty much a competent 3rd person action game with a few nice, if repetitive, tricks rather than the deeply atmospheric open-world horror game it had originally been played up as. I think that soured some expectations.

Ghost Trick is actually a pretty good choice for an under-appreciated title. I keep seeing it and thinking, 'I bet I would enjoy that' but never ever consider actually purchasing it. It's weird. I am enjoying the crap out of Shadows of The Damned at the moment but that is another game that will live or die based on word-of-mouth. It's a ton of fun though.

mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mutley

@ImBigInJapan: I got Shadow Of The Damned a few days ago. I only played like half and hour of it but when I was playing it, I was thinking " Man the japanese must of smoked that crack pipe HARD"

But I loved everything about the game while I was playing it.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By JoeyRavn

Darksiders, from what I've played recently. Man, what a quality game. Too bad the PC port is rather shoddy... Also, maybe not really "underrated", because it got quite good reviews, but 999 is excellent, yet many people don't give it a chance for being a graphic novel.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By renmckormack

This generation meaning the 360 and the ps3 or in the last year.

because i will answer, as I typically do, and say Shadowrun.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Klei
@RedDragon123
I can't agree with Deadly Premonition. Everybody knows of this game due to its horrid reviews and overall media coverage. ( due to its ssuccess ). 

An underrated game, forgotten by gamers is, for instance, Enslaved : Odyssey to the West andsoon to be, Shadows of the Damned.
daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By daiphyer

I would say The Saboteur. I did everything you could in that game, and I still wanted more. I enjoyed every second. That game was great.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oraknabo

Enslaved

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nocall
@JoeyRavn said:

Darksiders, from what I've played recently. Man, what a quality game. Too bad the PC port is rather shoddy... Also, maybe not really "underrated", because it got quite good reviews, but 999 is excellent, yet many people don't give it a chance for being a graphic novel.

Agree with Darksiders. Lots of people passed this over when it was released (myself included) despite above average reviews since it seemed to be really derivative. Lucky for me, I picked it up on the cheap much later on and was absolutely blown away.
WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By WightnNerdy

Darksiders and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West for me. Both are amazing games, especially Darksiders. Did Zelda better than Zelda.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Enslaved. That game's cool.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By cosi83

^ Yeah Enslaved was a lot of fun

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Dawglet
@cosi83 said:
999 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors 
I second this. 
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

Yeah, I agree with Enslaved: Odyssey of the West.  It was a little short but still very good.  I'm not sure what it's critical ratings were on average, Giant Bomb gave it a 4 out of 5 stars.  It sold pretty poorly initially, but it's been priced dirt cheap since, so maybe its sales records have improved. 

50 Cent: Blood in the Sand would be another good choice in my opinion.  It wasn't a great game, but it was damned fun.  I found it to be a competent 3rd person shooter that was as enjoyable as any recent military shooter.  Also, you got to jump some big-ass ramps.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phish09

Red Faction: Guerrilla has one of the most fun competitive multiplayer modes I've played this gen, and that certainly didn't get the love or attention it deserved.    I get that it got some good reviews of the games press, but I don't think it ever caught on with gamers the way it deserved to.  Another game that didn't sell anywhere near as well as it deserved was Rock Band 3.  Like that game actually sold like shit, and it is easily the best rhythm game ever created.  

In terms of games that didn't get the kind of critical response that I think they deserved; Alpha Protocol is right up there, and Bioshock 2, which is a far better game than the first one imo.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mikeeegeee

Mirror's Edge

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By dagas
Bloodlines box art
Bloodlines box art

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

One of the best RPG's I've played. It's a really great atmosphere. It's like someone took a great RPG and combined it with Buffy: The Vampire Slayer except you are a vampire and not a vampire slayer. So few RPG's are set in the modern world. this is one of the few and it pulls it off really well.

vanadiumxero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vanadiumxero
@FourWude said:
NIER.
This would be my choice too. Such a wonderful atmosphere and story to this one, along with an impressive musical score and memorable characters.
cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cheesebob

@dagas: That isn't this generation?

Either Vanquish or Enslaved

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jetsetwillie

TOO HUMAN !!!!!! 

no way that game deserved the shit it got when it was released. sure its not the best game ever or anything but playing that game co-op with a mate is great fun.  

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Elazul
@Danteveli said:
I bet Shadows of the Damned will be most underrated this gen.
Agreed. I'm only about halfway through but I still love the hell out of it, if you'll pardon the pun.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Just Cause 2 hands down 
Just Cause 2 hands down 

oh and: 

@mikeeegeee said:
Mirror's Edge
Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Bwast
@dagas: You smart man. I kill you last.
dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dagas

@Cheesebob said:

@dagas: That isn't this generation?

Either Vanquish or Enslaved

Sorry missed the this generation restriction. There aren't many games this generation that I love that others don't love as well. If I have to mention something then I'd say The Saboteur, it was a fun open world game and I don't see why people think it is somehow a second tier open world game.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By Dookysharpgun
@GeekDown said:

This, I loved that game, and would love to see a sequel, its the first time in years a game enthralled me so much that I stayed up late, just to find out what would happen next....damn I want to play through it again now...

Oh and Lost Odyssey, the best JRPG in recent years. As far as I'm concerned, it was the next Final Fantasy, and I'm not just saying that, I'm serious, the story was emotionally driven, the memories mixed with the soundtrack provoked a major emotional response, and the combat and strategy system was one of the best I've ever seen. The only downside: Cooke and Mack...*shudders*
dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dragonzord

Yakuza.

Either one

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mazik765
emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By emem

The first that comes to mind is Singularity.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By louiedog
@ImBigInJapan said:

@GeekDown said:

The problem with Alan Wake is that it was pretty much a competent 3rd person action game with a few nice, if repetitive, tricks rather than the deeply atmospheric open-world horror game it had originally been played up as. I think that soured some expectations.

Ghost Trick is actually a pretty good choice for an under-appreciated title. I keep seeing it and thinking, 'I bet I would enjoy that' but never ever consider actually purchasing it. It's weird. I am enjoying the crap out of Shadows of The Damned at the moment but that is another game that will live or die based on word-of-mouth. It's a ton of fun though.

I guess I was reading different info. I don't recall Alan Wake being played up as an open world horror game at all. I don't even think that I heard it was supposed to be open world until after they'd switched away from that. If I'd been expecting that I could see being disappointed, as having some freedom and exploring that world more could have been fun. Although it may have removed tension from the story.

@emem said:
The first that comes to mind is Singularity.
Yes. That game was really good. I enjoyed it a lot more than the single player from just about any other shooter I've played this gen.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Funny, I think Deadly Premonition is the most overrated games this console generation.  It is one of those games that the internet community has rallied around as an underrated gem to the point that the opposite became true.   Cool story and dialogue aside, the game is just not fun to play.  The gameplay is awful  which you could try to be clever and say it is on purpose.  I say it  lacks that intentional ironically bad and repetitive game play Suda 51 did in No More Heroes. 

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kingzetta

Alpha Protocol and Enslaved are by far the most underrated games his gen.
I love Swery as a person the same way I love Tim Schafer as a person, but they both make bad games.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By louiedog
@kingzetta said:
Alpha Protocol and Enslaved are by far the most underrated games his gen. I love Swery as a person the same way I love Tim Schafer as a person, but they both make bad games.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

LeChuck's Revenge continues the adventures of Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate, in his quest to find the grand treasure of Big Whoop, which inadvertently leads to the resurrection of his former nemesis, the zombie pirate LeChuck.

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle

Day of the Tentacle is a point-and-click adventure game that follows Bernard Bernoulli, Laverne, and Hoagie as they try to prevent the Purple Tentacle from taking over the world.

Full Throttle

This post-apocalyptic adventure game from LucasArts follows a tough-as-nails biker named Ben, leader of the Polecats, a motorcycle gang.

Grim Fandango

This was Tim Schafer's last game working for Lucasarts.

The Secret of Monkey Island

Also: Programmer

Star Wars: Dark Forces

Motivational Guru

Maniac Mansion

Your girlfriend has been captured! You (Dave Miller) and your friends must save Sandy Pantz from the evil Dr. Fred Edison and his dangerous and crazy mansion.

Costume Quest

A new downloadable adventure/RPG by Double Fine. Play as a child on Halloween night in search of your little sibling.

Stacking

A downloadable adventure puzzle game by Double Fine, set in a 1930s environment, where you play as the world's smallest Matryoshka doll.

Brütal Legend

Brütal Legend is a humorous heavy-metal, open-world, action-adventure game with light real-time strategy elements. As Eddie Riggs, lead the people of the Brütal World to rise up against the Tainted Coil demons who rule the world, and their leader, the sinister Emperor Doviculus.

Psychonauts

Developed by Double Fine Productions, Psychonauts is a platforming action-adventure game in which players take on the role of Razputin, a young psychic out to thwart an evil plot to subvert the minds of other powerful psychics.

Trenched

Studio Creative Director

You lie.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kingzetta
@louiedog: This gen my friend, the adventure games were very good.
louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By louiedog
@kingzetta said:
@louiedog: This gen my friend, the adventure games were very good.
I thought Brutal Legend was great, but I only played it recently and new exactly what it was going in. The marketing of that game was a complete failure. You can't just surprise people with a type of game they aren't expecting. 

His studio has also been pumping out some of the best downloadable games on consoles, at least for me. I won't pretend they've been perfect, but I've had a lot of fun with them and I wouldn't call any of Double Fine's four games of this generation bad.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darksiders, I really loved that game.  It out-Zelda'd Zelda in several areas.