NEW DS *NINTENDO DSi* (constantly updating)

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Nintendo DSi

(All news stolen from Kotaku who is stealing it from Famitsu)

The new Ds is called the DSi, the goal is to have "one DSi for one family". The new unit looks almost exactly like the existing DS Lite, but it's some 12 percent thinner, partly because it doesn't have a GBA cartridge slot. The screens are also slightly larger, at 3.25 inches, as for the rumoured additions, both have proven to be correct, with "audio enhancements" made to the handheld, while it will also now include a 3 megapixel camera. The DSi features an SD memory card slot, making it possible to take pictures with the DSi and then view them on the Nintendo Wii. The DSi features a built-in browers, and its possible to download games and keep them on the DSi. There is a DSi Shop, which users can download DSiWare from as well. Pricing categories for the DSiWare are: Free, 200 points, 500 points and "Premium" or 800 points. Customers will get 1000 free points to spend at the DSi Shop that are good until March 2010. The portable is dated for November 1st in Japan and priced at ¥18,900 (US$179). It will be available in white and black.

Click to make BIG!
Click to make BIG!
capitanm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By capitanm1

Great! Now we just need info.

Edgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Edgar

Kotaku is translating Famitsu's live blog. Check it out if you're willing to work the F5 button.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Info hasn't happened yet. Tell Famitsu to hurry up and liveblog.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose

The specs for the new Nintendo DSi are announced: The new unit looks almost exactly like the existing DS Lite, but it's some 12 percent thinner, partly because it doesn't have a GBA cartridge slot. The screens are also slightly larger, at 3.25 inches, and there are two cameras, at least one of which is VGA res.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Rose said:
"The specs for the new Nintendo DSi are announced: The new unit looks almost exactly like the existing DS Lite, but it's some 12 percent thinner, partly because it doesn't have a GBA cartridge slot. The screens are also slightly larger, at 3.25 inches, and there are two cameras, at least one of which is VGA res."
My F5 button is faster than yours.
DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DoctorTran
Gorillawhat said:
"Black_Rose said:
"The specs for the new Nintendo DSi are announced: The new unit looks almost exactly like the existing DS Lite, but it's some 12 percent thinner, partly because it doesn't have a GBA cartridge slot. The screens are also slightly larger, at 3.25 inches, and there are two cameras, at least one of which is VGA res."
My F5 button is faster than yours."
My F5 is bigger... wait... what are we talking about?

I like how Nintendo has decided to fucking kill Guitar Hero on the DS. I'm being honest to. I've hated what Activision has done to GH. I'm fucking ecstatic over this.
Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bartiemus

Why do we need this my DS lite is going just fine and my phone has a camera/mp3 player yet people will still buy it because its Nintendo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hells yes, we can now download games onto the DSi!

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Emilio
Gorillawhat said:
"Hells yes, we can now download games onto the DSi!"
Fuck yes. Please let this come to the US.
Maybe I'm just being a dumb ass fanboy ( I am ), but the slightly new design looks great.
Edgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Edgar

This actually sounds pretty good. DSiWare could be awesome.

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By John

This is mad dope, thank god I stuck with my phat all these years. Now I have a real reason to upgrade.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tanuki
DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DoctorTran
Emilio said:
"Gorillawhat said:
"Hells yes, we can now download games onto the DSi!"
Fuck yes. Please let this come to the US.
Maybe I'm just being a dumb ass fanboy ( I am ), but the slightly new design looks great."

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't The thing practically prints money. :: queue's the DS printing money picture"

I'm officially glad that I held out so long on a DS.
capitanm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By capitanm1

Well I donno, my guess they might add GBA downloads and GB/Color downloads in the DSi shop. WOuld be a nice idea :).

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#16  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I don't care about the absence of the GBA slot. I have a modded PSP for that.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Black_Rose

I finally found a reason to get a DS

capitanm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By capitanm1

Man... the internet browser better not blow... Better not be the opera one just build in.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tanuki
capitanm1 said:
"Well I donno, my guess they might add GBA downloads and GB/Color downloads in the DSi shop. WOuld be a nice idea :)."

Hahah, except they'll never add Mother 1-3 to that shop.  I had to import them.  ;)   If they did do that though, (as much as that'd be awesome to download Links Awakening which I already own but can't play on my lite and no longer have a GBC)  it'll suck for people with an existing GBA library.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Emilio
Black_Rose said:
"I finally found a reason to get a DS"
Wot?? You mean to tell me NIntendogs wasn't the best reason to get a DS??

capitanm1 said:
"Man... the internet browser better not blow... Better not be the opera one just build in."
That would kinda suck for everyone that already bought it.

And you know what? Whatever happened to DS games with rumble? I feel sad that the lil rumble pak will now be useless on this.
thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thebobster10

I"ll wait for the first reviews on this one. Im going to wait out untill a completely new Hardware is released, or maybe wait for that new Hardware's better version. I dont like these upgrades. A camera does not do it for me because my phone takes pretty decent pictures and videos at 2.0 MP and my phone also has music playback with up to 8gigs of external memory.

SystemFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SystemFreak

Already placed a pre-order request... wondering what the quality control is going to be like for DSWare considering the amount of shovelware on the DS currently. 

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By John
Black_Rose said:
"I finally found a reason to get a DS"
  No excuses, thing has been out since 2004 man!
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Black_Rose
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tanuki said:
"capitanm1 said:
"Well I donno, my guess they might add GBA downloads and GB/Color downloads in the DSi shop. WOuld be a nice idea :)."

Hahah, except they'll never add Mother 1-3 to that shop.  I had to import them.  ;)   If they did do that though, (as much as that'd be awesome to download Links Awakening which I already own but can't play on my lite and no longer have a GBC)  it'll suck for people with an existing GBA library."

Dude, you can get a GBA Micro for a smile nowadays

It looks sexy, but I am slightly dismayed that I'm gonna have to get a DS for a third time. I'm in no rush to pick it up until there's some kickass DSi game coming
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Emilio

New Mario & Luigi, new WarioWare, new Phoenix Wright... ugh I just came hard.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Red

Hmmmm.....hope it comes out this year in the states.

Oh well, if it doesn't I'll just get Warhammer Online

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Jayge_

I seriously don't see why people are going nuts over the same system.

guttershark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By guttershark

i might get one

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jayge said:
"I seriously don't see why people are going nuts over the same system."

caption
caption
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By ZenaxPure
Jayge said:
Because it is adding quite a few new features that will be great to have. I also imagine the DS ware service thing will end up doing a VC like thing with past GB games which given how much I love the VC and the fact I never owned an original GB to get the games as they came out at the time it is far to appealing.
solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By solidphoenix

Personally I'm disappointed with the new redesign. The flow of digital distribution isn't being taken advantage of with this piece of new hardware, and quite frankly it's just not what we should expect from Nintendo. However the fact that Nintendo has finally opened up the SD card slot to users is a big thing; for decades now Nintendo has not been lenient with allowing consumers to access the main storage mediums, be it the cartridge formats on the N64 or the special disc technology for the Gamecube. However it has never really stopped people from pirating on the handhelds, and at this stage I'm glad that Nintendo has finally decided to come into the 21st Century.

Furthermore, the adding of the camera has me feeling a bit mixed. I mean yes it's a sure thing that most people will have their DS out with them for car trips etc. and that this is a nice way to take quick snapshots, but at the same time a 3 megapixel camera is just primitive at this point. While it is really noteworthy as well that Nintendo has allowed plug-and-play with the Photo Channel on the Wii I have to wonder whether most people will bother. Additionally, having a camera on the outside proposes some problems; what if it breaks? The very nature of the clamshell design is that the outside can take a beating without destroying the LCD screens on the inside. I have to wonder why Nintendo went ahead with focusing on bringing out the picture and SD card functionality when it's clear that this is not the future.

Moreover, why does Nintendo think that widening the screens by a quarter of an inch is enough? The days of having 4:3 gaming being acceptable are over; widescreen is the future. This seems to be the case with Nintendo's games as well, in that they rarely feature a widescreen mode. Some might say that it's not needed, but you're retarded. If you've got good technology, why not use it? And widescreen isn't even complicated at all, you just need to put a bit more work in, and with Nintendo's soaring profits they can afford to do so; they just don't. As a sidenote, letterboxing the format is not the answer either, so anyone who does that is even more lazy than those who leave the 4:3 mode in there. These new screens should have been widescreen.
I also think that both screens should have been touchscreen. Whenever you give someone a DS for the first time they almost always try to use both screens as touch; it seems illogical to not open up that functionality. It's a missed opportunity.

The main argument for the DS in the beginning was that it was a games system, not some entertainment device. I have to wonder why Nintendo decided to do this, perhaps to compete with the PSP's media capabilities? Also, solid state internal memory was what Nintendo should have gone with. The days of buying expensive cartridges is slowing, and unfortunately Nintendo is not taking advantage of their lead. Nintendo's R&D department has tripled since the launch of the Wii; I can only wonder where all that money is going to. This, is not the answer.

One more thing: why is the power button now moved back to around the D-pad? This time it's below it, but I have to think that even at this spot it poses the same problem that the original Power button placement did. If someone has massive hands isn't it possible that they'd accidentally press it? Is putting the button inside the clam really a good idea?

Quite frankly Nintendo should have made a DS2 or something instead of trying to yet again milk the name and hardware for all it's worth. Then again Nintendo is making money, so I suppose they can do whatever they want. By the way, I remember Nintendo saying that they wouldn't release a redesign until sales started slowing. So with the sales still being so high why announce this now? Couldn't they hold off and work on DS2 instead of this?

In conclusion, I don't like the redesign.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I see no point in it,  nintendo is simply pulling the old hey look we've upgraded now every that purchased the old version go get a new one ALA ipod.

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Earthbounder

I can't wait to play the new Mario and Luigi and Wario Ware! I also think the new Final Fantasy game is going to be awesome!
I am not sure I will have enough money to purchase the DSi right after it launches though. I am assuming it will cost around 500 bucks here where I live.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ManlyBeast

Sound cool I guess, but everytime I buy a hangheld I end up trading it in.... 

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JohnDudebro

I wonder how they're going to make Guitar Hero: On Tour compatible with this. That guitar grip needed the GBA slot, and it's sold enough copies by now that somebody has to figure out a solution.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jayge_
Zenaxzd said:
"Jayge said:
Because it is adding quite a few new features that will be great to have. I also imagine the DS ware service thing will end up doing a VC like thing with past GB games which given how much I love the VC and the fact I never owned an original GB to get the games as they came out at the time it is far to appealing."
The PSP does most if not all of those "new features" better and on more stable hardware. I have no confidence that a sub-100Mhz processor can do any of that shit with 4 megs of mRAM.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By Karmum

Eh, I want to get a DS eventually, but it won't be this. It seems like "Hey, considering we have tons of money leftover, lets make the same shit, different design!" approach.

None the less, it will probably sell like hotcakes, similar to the DS Lite.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40  Edited By tofford

I never got the DS Lite because i didnt see anything wrong with the original design even though the Lite was an obvious improvement. Im not sure if i use my DS enough to warrant another £100 i was hoping for the next generation but if the online features are good i might pick one up.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Another DS!? Another PSP???

aghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hexproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hexproof

I was thinkin about buying it until I heard that the battery life got cut down a lot. And the  0.3 MP Camera is weak( considering it's the same quality as my old cellphone).

solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By solidphoenix
Legion said:
"I was thinkin about buying it until I heard that the battery life got cut down a lot. And the  0.3 MP Camera is weak( considering it's the same quality as my old cellphone)."
It's a 3 MP Camera, now 0.3
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jayge_
solidphoenix said:
"Legion said:
"I was thinkin about buying it until I heard that the battery life got cut down a lot. And the  0.3 MP Camera is weak( considering it's the same quality as my old cellphone)."
It's a 3 MP Camera, now 0.3"
There is both a 3 MP camera *and* a shitty VGA camera.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Endogene

haaa sweet sweet nostalgia of the Game Boy Camera

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ZenaxPure
Jayge said:
"Zenaxzd said:
"Jayge said:
Because it is adding quite a few new features that will be great to have. I also imagine the DS ware service thing will end up doing a VC like thing with past GB games which given how much I love the VC and the fact I never owned an original GB to get the games as they came out at the time it is far to appealing."
The PSP does most if not all of those "new features" better and on more stable hardware. I have no confidence that a sub-100Mhz processor can do any of that shit with 4 megs of mRAM."
Yes the PSP does some of that stuff, and yes I currently use my PSP as a portable media device at times. But honestly the PSP just doesn't feel portable to me, even though I have a case for one I can't exactly stick that in my pocket like I can with a DS and be on my way. I also like the DS speakers being on the top half of the console allowing me point the sound towards me rather up into the air like the PSP when I have it laying down listening to it. And no I can't always use headphones, such as when I am at work.