Nintendo Powers' final issue comes full circle.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Phatmac

Nintendo Powers' final issue cover is here and it is oddly nostalgic.

No Caption Provided

Here's both the first and last cover image of Nintendo Power.

No Caption Provided

Goodnight, Sweet Prince. :(

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Even as a guy who never subscribed, this is sad.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

The poster's no longer free?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

*sigh*

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By PeasantAbuse

RIP Nintendo Power, you were always good to me for the few years I subscribed.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Joeyoe31

Lame.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TheFreeMan

Goodbye, Nintendo Power. You were the best.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

I remember all of those old issues of Nintendo Power. Great times indeed.

It was my favorite gaming propaganda publication for many years. It had a good run, and I'll miss those old, simpler days.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad to see such an iconic part of Nintendo go away.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kyreo

As a former subscriber, I am sad to see NP go. I really enjoyed my time with it... but all good things must come to an end.

Chalphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Chalphy

A very fitting ending cover. Well done NP.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FierceDeity

I've only ever read one gaming magazine in my entire life - a random issue of some official playstation mag. The only thing I can remember about it was that it made the audacious claim that the ps1 was more powerful than the N64.

So um... I don't know how that relates to this, but there you go!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

That is great. The people who worked there must of enjoyed their jobs.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By landon

@Joeyoe31 said:

Lame.

You're so edgy and cool.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By Little_Socrates

I loved what Nintendo Power issues I read when I was about six.

Somehow, I kind of knew this is what the final cover would end up being. And it's still adorable.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Grimluck343

What's the story on the color of Mario's hat in issue 1?

I have around 100 issues of Nintendo Power sitting in a box somewhere, I should find them...

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By StarFoxA

Nintendo Power was there early on in my gaming obsession. My subscription has long since run out, but I just always assumed that Nintendo Power's presence in gaming was a given. Sad to see it go.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By knoxt

this really is sad to me. In the n64 days, maybe into the GC days, i had a subscription to NP and always enjoyed them. It is a shame, but like all good things, they eventually end. Nintendo has reverence and respect for it's material and that is something I really like about nintendo. I hope they stay alive for generations to come.

RIP NP

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

Oh man. I know it was basically a magazine entirely devoted to advertising Nintendo products, but the kid in me is super sad right now :(

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By apathylad

I was thinking of picking this up.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Hizang

@Grimluck343 said:

I have around 100 issues of Nintendo Power sitting in a box somewhere, I should find them...

Mario's colour scheme was originally that, but they changed it sometime later.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Joeyoe31

@Landon said:

@Joeyoe31 said:

Lame.

You're so edgy and cool.

Sorry bruh, meant it was lame that Nintendo Power was ending. Didn't mean the topic was lame.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Dixavd

I still don't understand what Nintendo refused to move the magazine staff onto an online presence (or made it a thing to go with the WiiU - their new console that uses a tablet controller). I remember seeing an interview with one of the writers where the tone (although could have been due to editing) implied that he was a bit disappointed in Nintendo for not working with the magazine enough to keep them running in some form.

Great cover though - as someone who never owned it since I'm not from the US, it always seems to be brought up with quite a bit of childlike nostalgia from people (which I always found quite sweet).

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By fattony12000

Aww.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Dixavd said:

I still don't understand what Nintendo refused to move the magazine staff onto an online presence (or made it a thing to go with the WiiU - their new console that uses a tablet controller). I remember seeing an interview with one of the writers where the tone (although could have been due to editing) implied that he was a bit disappointed in Nintendo for not working with the magazine enough to keep them running in some form.

Great cover though - as someone who never owned it since I'm not from the US, it always seems to be brought up with quite a bit of childlike nostalgia from people (which I always found quite sweet).

Yeah. Honestly I have no idea what NIntendo is doing these days.

I mean, I would probably have subscribed to Nintendo Power in a heartbeat if they had any good games. I remember when I got my wii, (first day it was out) I was a little giddy about returning to Nintendo for the first time since the SNES. I would have loved to go back to reading nintnedo power. But unfortunately.. Nintendo just doesn't make enough decent games to warrant it. My wii spun like 8 disks total and then collected dust for 5 years.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DeathByWaffle

When I was a little kid, Nintendo Power was awesome. I used to love reading it, I'd even read the walkthrough sections for games that I never was going to buy. When I got older though, years after my subscription stopped, I saw the at that time current incarnation of the magazine and it looked bad. They didn't seem to have any of the great material they used to - it seemed like it was almost all ads. Still, I feel bad that they are stopping NP. I used to have posters lining my bedroom wall from that magazine as a kid.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By JJOR64

:_(

I'm going to try to buy this one. Haven't bought a Nintendo Power in years.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's tragic that one of the original staples of the gaming media has finally ended, but it should've stopped years ago. I mean, I subscribed to Nintendo Power for like 4 years and still have a ton of issues in my closet, but once I discovered what the internet was and realized that the Wii was kind of a bummer, I outgrew my use for state-sponsored propaganda. I mean, a 20 page special on New Super Mario Bros U? That's what they're closing out on? Oh well. It was useful for what it was.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By fishmicmuffin

Nintendo power was the first magazine I subscribed to. Looked forward to it every week. Haven't gotten it in a long time, but this seems like a fitting note to end on!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#30  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Just realized that none of the magazines I subscribed to as a kid are still around in their old formats. GamePro, PC Gamer, Nintendo Power... that's weird.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SmilingPig

It would be great if there would be a map of all the levels in the mag. for old time sake.

MonkeyMitcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By MonkeyMitcho

Is it in stores yet? If so how much?

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kerned

@Dixavd said:

I still don't understand what Nintendo refused to move the magazine staff onto an online presence (or made it a thing to go with the WiiU - their new console that uses a tablet controller).

Nintendo seems to be in a weird state of denial about the importance of the internet, this is true. Nintendo Power, however, hasn't been published by Nintendo since 2007, so it might not have been their decision to keep it a print-only publication.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dogma

@Hizang said:

@Grimluck343 said:

Mario's colour scheme was originally that, but they changed it sometime later.

Wait. Are you sure about that? When has he ever had a blue hat? In the beginning he looked like he does today but then in SMB he got a red suit and blue shirt, then they swicthed back in SMB2 (except for on the cover of the game for some wierd reason) and then I believe Mario always since SMB3 kept his blue outfit with red shirt and cap. I don't think I've seen him with a blue cap.

I remember how his color switch confused me when Super Mario Bros. 3 came. Even though he had the blue dress in SMB2 he still was drawn with red on the cover, the comics and the TV-show. And that were where I saw him the most. So for me Mario began with a red suit and then the blue one became a reality post-SMB3. It took a while to get used to.

EDIT: I looked it up. He had a blu cap in Mario Bros. BUT only ont the cover, not in the game so... does that count? Still feels lika weird design decicsion from Nintendo Powers since that cover was made after Super Mario Bros. 2 was realeased. Oh well...weirder stuff has happened.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By nightriff

Wish i was subscribed longer than I was. My brother for my birthday got me a subscription and it came with the......Master Quest Zelda or Zelda Collection disk, can't remember which one. But I remember looking foreword too each month getting the magazine and just reading and looking at the pictures. I didn't have money so I couldn't resub but it was a fun year. Good memories.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think that's about the best final issue cover they could have made.

Either that or another severed Dracula head.

Also, this does sadden me. Even though I unsubscribed to Nintendo Power years ago, it's still sad.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cmblasko

Man, that is kind of heartbreaking to look at. I grew up reading Nintendo Power; receiving an issue in the mail was usually the highlight of my month when I was younger. I still remember the time I sent in a poorly drawn depiction of Ken firing a Hadoken; it didn't make it into the magazine, but I got a letter and a t-shirt which I ended up wearing all the time.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ducksworth

If you check the screenshot on their wikipedia page you can see Mario has a blue cap in game as well. I never subscribed to Nintendo power but I remember borrowing them from my local library, I even loved reading stuff in the older issues. It's sad to see them go, I think I'll grab it just for the sake of having it. Can I find it in the grocery store magazine sections?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By Justin258

Going out in style. I almost want to buy a copy just to have one, and of course it shall stay in mint condition.

Vitamin_Dei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Vitamin_Dei

Man, Nintendo Power was my childhood. From issue one until I lost touch with it in highschool and eventually drifted away from Nintendo entirely as my tastes diverged. Wicked sad to see it ending even though it hasn't really played a role in the hobby for me in ages.

R.I.P. Nintendo Power.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

I wonder where I can find one. I'd love to have this.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Single tear.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dogma

@Ducksworth said:

If you check the screenshot on their wikipedia page you can see Mario has a blue cap in game as well. I never subscribed to Nintendo power but I remember borrowing them from my local library, I even loved reading stuff in the older issues. It's sad to see them go, I think I'll grab it just for the sake of having it. Can I find it in the grocery store magazine sections?

Huh weird. It seems that the arcade version has the blue cap (as showen in the screenshot you refer to) but not the NES version. It's still werid that they went with such a old version of Mario's design though.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MocBucket62

I may want to get this magazine even though I haven't kept up with Nintendo's products lately. I used to read Nintendo Power back from the Gamecube. 

But man that Cover art, its some of the best magazine covers I've seen in a while.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By laserbolts

Fuck the Internet.

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By procrasturbate

I want that last issue! I still have that original Nintendo Power issue. Would go great with it.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ben_H

I think I might buy this. I was subscribed to Nintendo Power for like 5 years and I am definitely sad to see it go.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I have a lot of fond memories of Nintendo Power back in the NES and SNES days. It really fell off after the N64 era, but I almost blame Nintendo more for that than anyone actually at the magazine.

I definitely need to see if I can track down a copy of this to keep with the boxes of old issues that I'm still dragging around every time I move.