Novint Falcon - Have Any Of You Used One?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

I heard a customer talking about this today, and I'm curious if anyone has used one...staff included (as I did find an old On The Spot video from a GDC with Ryan MacDonald talking about it). 

I'm thinking about buying one, as it looks like it'd just be a great level of immersion: 

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Sushbag

Yup. Friend has one, and he loves it. I hear they frequently add new game support, and consistently tweak and improve the forces for existing games over time. And, I mean come on: They have Valve's support. Not bad when the best in the biz lets you work on their games.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

I've never heard of this, but it looks awesome. Tell us how it is if you get one!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

I remember hearing about it, but I've never actually seen or even heard of anyone actually using one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they talked about it a bit on an episode of the Idle Thumbs podcast (or was it RebelFM? Think it was Idle Thumbs). General consensus is that it was cool.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RaikohBlade
@jakob187: If you get it, use it only for single player games. The recoil may be realistic, but it will only be a detriment for multiplayer, where you need all the accuracy you can get.
sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sgjackson
@Khann: It was Idle Thumbs, and they thought it was cool.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive

i remember that device a while ago and i was wondering what ever became of it.  
never seen it with a gun attachment before. fucking awesome.  

combine this with head tracking and 3D. ZOMG

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have one, I bought it when they launched. It's pretty awesome but too expensive. It needs more support from developers and the modding community, until it gets that your better off saving your money quite frankly.  I don't regret getting mine, but I cannot persuade others to get it when I get only a little use out of it myself.

It recently got Left 4 Dead support, which was something I was crying out for last year:

http://www.giantbomb.com/left-4-dead/61-20690/i-really-hope-this-game-gets-some-novi-falcon-support-eventually/35-19669/     

Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Khemitude

Used it at a huge Lan party here in the UK back in August it's sweeeet!!!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Geno

That looks amazing. 

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By Hamst3r

I haven't tried one yet, but I love stuff like this. These types of peripherals really add a ton of immersion to games, the problem being that they're under-supported.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've never heard of the Falcon before, let alone used one, but this thing looks awesome. If you have the cash for it I say go ahead and get it.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By fuzzyponken

That looked pretty cool but I don't think I'd wanna play for very long sessions with it. I like resting my hand on the mouse. 

Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Renegade

Thought I'd mention to the OP (and anyone else that is interested) that there will be a Black Friday sale for the Falcon, and it will bring one of the Pistol Grip Bundles down to only $99.99. Definitely a great price if you haven't picked one up already. More details are available here: 

http://novintblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/black-friday-cyber-monday-sale.html

I already have one, and love it, but for anyone who was thinking about it but may have been short on cash, now is the time to pick one up =) I saw someone mention that they you can't use it in multiplayer, and that is completely false. I play DOD: Source and TF2 regularly with it, and I can still keep up with the best of them. Admittedly, it takes some time to get used to, but for the experience it provides, it's absolutely worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

That thing looks like some alien technology were not supposed to be using.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By MrSnow

No i never have

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187

Man, I don't know how I missed all the responses on this thread!  LOL  Well, I wish I had caught the Black Friday sale thing early enough, as I would've saved the money for one at that time. 

Nonetheless, thanks to a busted head on my car amidst other things that my car has decided need to go wrong...I won't have the money for this in the immediate future.  I still want one, though.