Old & New #1: A Piece of Phantasy

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By The_A_Drain
This week I have been getting to grips with a new game, and (what some people consider) a timeless classic, side by side i've been playing them both quite a lot in order to relax, so far i'm enjoying both of them and their ends draw near. These are my opinions :)

One Piece: Unlimited Cruise 1: The Treasure Beneath the Waves

Once destined for release sometime in 2008, but held back because of legal issues, One Piece: Unlimited Cruise finally makes it's way to western shores (Unlike it's predecessor, Unlimited Adventure, which was promised as a release title for the Wii, held back by similar legal issues, and eventually cancelled in the west) and (here at least) at a wonderful budget price of £24.99.

Presumably this is because very little has been done to the game, it has gone through a simple translation and otherwise features the same content seen in the Japanese version (They havn't even changed the screenshots in the manual, you can clearly see the japanese version of the game in the screenshots)

Now, while others might be annoyed by this, I was incredibly relieved because it meant that I would not have to suffer any of the 4Kids bullshit name changes or censorship and could enjoy the franchise as it was originally intended, this pleased me greatly as although several One Piece games have made it to the west, they had all been under the 4Kids flag and featured the same horrible voice actors and name changes as the western dub of the show. As well as having several characters removed (either because 4Kids cut them from the series too, or because they had not been introduced yet)

Anyhow, ranting aside the game plays rather well, a simple third person action adventure that sees you running about 4 different islands gathering items, fishing, fighting enemies and simply larking about as is traditional for the Straw Hat crew. Every item you find on your travels serves a particular use, you can cook, craft weapons and upgrades, as well as medicinal items. In addition to this you have to find or make certain items in order to progress in the storyline, this is the only part that particularly irks me, although (so far) it does not seem quite as bad as Wario Land: The Shake Dimension, it can still be pretty jarring to make it to a new island only to discover that you need to spend the next couple hours grinding out items in order to open up the next boss fight.

Which brings me to the bosses themselves, most of the enemies from the manga/series return here (with a decent enough excuse as well, they appear in the context of the storyline without breaking the universe) and they are all true to their original characters (and voiced by the same actors too) and for the most part, the fights are difficult but not frustratingly so. Although they can be somewhat unfair, Moria for example will send his shadow bats, and his own shadow to attack you and there seems to be no way of avoiding them. Likewise you must fight Don Krieg and Captain Kuro at the same time, which can be an incredibly frustrating fight unless you level up your skills. Each character has a series of skills they can learn which range from button presses to motion controls (or a waggle) and special moves which have different effects for each of the characters, most of the key moves from the series are intact although i've not unlocked them all yet I doubt any of the ridiculously destructive moves are present as they might break the game. Brooks moveset seems a little dead though, but then so is he! SKULL JOKE!!! YO HO HO HO!!!... *clears throat* Uhh, sorry.

Fortunately as I intended to spend most of my time adventuring and exploring, i've not yet become tired of collecting and producing items, and having just unlocked the fishing rod (because i'm a dunce and missed it earlier haha!) i'm having a blast and would reccomend the game to fans of the series and/or fans of action/adventure games, however if you don't know the series at all you may not get some of the jokes, and may find some of the character interactions a little odd, especially the villains the game gives them no introduction and you are expected to know who they are. 

Phantasy Star II

I've been meaning to play this for the longest time, it's been reccomended to me by almost every JRPG fan I know and the opportunity has arisen to play it multiple times but until now i'd never made the leap. When it reared its head for 400 points, with achievements on XBLA I snapped it up with the points remaining after (the dissapointing, imo) Fallout 3 DLC Point Lookout.

At first glance the game seems unplayable by todays standards, even the games "How to Play" section that XBLA games are required to have gives you no information about an of the different skills or items, or how to navigate the menu system or other useful hints. However, this has often been the case with JRPGs in particular, they can be rather punishing and it is often something their fans (including myself) relish on occasion. So I stuck to it, I loaded up an FAQ so I could see what all my new skills did (because the game doesnt tell you) and I marched on through the first few dungeons.

I have to say so far i'm enjoying myself quite a lot, for such an old game the animations and sprite detail are quite high, the enemies are interesting and incredibly varied, and the storyline is quite an interesting one, i've been spending a lot of time levelling up as I find it quite therapeutic so as a result i'm finding the game rather easy, although having gotten used to not seeing them (last game I played with them was Lost Odyssey) random battles are beginning to fray the nerves a little, which is odd as I quite like them. Though, not when exploring.

The game features a large variety of characters and skills, and as a result offers a large degree of party customisation, unfortunately each new character you gain begins at level 1, so you have to spend a long time levelling them up if you wish to use them.

For 400 points, i've already put something like 10 hours into the game and even if I don't finish it i'd say it was well worth the cash and having enjoyed it so much I now intend to put some time into other Genesis/Mega Drive RPGs I missed (Which would be all of them except Shining Force II)

I've played a handful of other things this week, Point Lookout for example, some more HD Remix/SFIV, and some Bully: Scholarship Edition (which i'm also enjoying, but doubt I will go back to now i'm enjoying these two so much) but none of them I felt compelled to write about. So how about you, what are you enjoying this week? Or not enjoying? 
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain
This week I have been getting to grips with a new game, and (what some people consider) a timeless classic, side by side i've been playing them both quite a lot in order to relax, so far i'm enjoying both of them and their ends draw near. These are my opinions :)

One Piece: Unlimited Cruise 1: The Treasure Beneath the Waves

Once destined for release sometime in 2008, but held back because of legal issues, One Piece: Unlimited Cruise finally makes it's way to western shores (Unlike it's predecessor, Unlimited Adventure, which was promised as a release title for the Wii, held back by similar legal issues, and eventually cancelled in the west) and (here at least) at a wonderful budget price of £24.99.

Presumably this is because very little has been done to the game, it has gone through a simple translation and otherwise features the same content seen in the Japanese version (They havn't even changed the screenshots in the manual, you can clearly see the japanese version of the game in the screenshots)

Now, while others might be annoyed by this, I was incredibly relieved because it meant that I would not have to suffer any of the 4Kids bullshit name changes or censorship and could enjoy the franchise as it was originally intended, this pleased me greatly as although several One Piece games have made it to the west, they had all been under the 4Kids flag and featured the same horrible voice actors and name changes as the western dub of the show. As well as having several characters removed (either because 4Kids cut them from the series too, or because they had not been introduced yet)

Anyhow, ranting aside the game plays rather well, a simple third person action adventure that sees you running about 4 different islands gathering items, fishing, fighting enemies and simply larking about as is traditional for the Straw Hat crew. Every item you find on your travels serves a particular use, you can cook, craft weapons and upgrades, as well as medicinal items. In addition to this you have to find or make certain items in order to progress in the storyline, this is the only part that particularly irks me, although (so far) it does not seem quite as bad as Wario Land: The Shake Dimension, it can still be pretty jarring to make it to a new island only to discover that you need to spend the next couple hours grinding out items in order to open up the next boss fight.

Which brings me to the bosses themselves, most of the enemies from the manga/series return here (with a decent enough excuse as well, they appear in the context of the storyline without breaking the universe) and they are all true to their original characters (and voiced by the same actors too) and for the most part, the fights are difficult but not frustratingly so. Although they can be somewhat unfair, Moria for example will send his shadow bats, and his own shadow to attack you and there seems to be no way of avoiding them. Likewise you must fight Don Krieg and Captain Kuro at the same time, which can be an incredibly frustrating fight unless you level up your skills. Each character has a series of skills they can learn which range from button presses to motion controls (or a waggle) and special moves which have different effects for each of the characters, most of the key moves from the series are intact although i've not unlocked them all yet I doubt any of the ridiculously destructive moves are present as they might break the game. Brooks moveset seems a little dead though, but then so is he! SKULL JOKE!!! YO HO HO HO!!!... *clears throat* Uhh, sorry.

Fortunately as I intended to spend most of my time adventuring and exploring, i've not yet become tired of collecting and producing items, and having just unlocked the fishing rod (because i'm a dunce and missed it earlier haha!) i'm having a blast and would reccomend the game to fans of the series and/or fans of action/adventure games, however if you don't know the series at all you may not get some of the jokes, and may find some of the character interactions a little odd, especially the villains the game gives them no introduction and you are expected to know who they are. 

Phantasy Star II

I've been meaning to play this for the longest time, it's been reccomended to me by almost every JRPG fan I know and the opportunity has arisen to play it multiple times but until now i'd never made the leap. When it reared its head for 400 points, with achievements on XBLA I snapped it up with the points remaining after (the dissapointing, imo) Fallout 3 DLC Point Lookout.

At first glance the game seems unplayable by todays standards, even the games "How to Play" section that XBLA games are required to have gives you no information about an of the different skills or items, or how to navigate the menu system or other useful hints. However, this has often been the case with JRPGs in particular, they can be rather punishing and it is often something their fans (including myself) relish on occasion. So I stuck to it, I loaded up an FAQ so I could see what all my new skills did (because the game doesnt tell you) and I marched on through the first few dungeons.

I have to say so far i'm enjoying myself quite a lot, for such an old game the animations and sprite detail are quite high, the enemies are interesting and incredibly varied, and the storyline is quite an interesting one, i've been spending a lot of time levelling up as I find it quite therapeutic so as a result i'm finding the game rather easy, although having gotten used to not seeing them (last game I played with them was Lost Odyssey) random battles are beginning to fray the nerves a little, which is odd as I quite like them. Though, not when exploring.

The game features a large variety of characters and skills, and as a result offers a large degree of party customisation, unfortunately each new character you gain begins at level 1, so you have to spend a long time levelling them up if you wish to use them.

For 400 points, i've already put something like 10 hours into the game and even if I don't finish it i'd say it was well worth the cash and having enjoyed it so much I now intend to put some time into other Genesis/Mega Drive RPGs I missed (Which would be all of them except Shining Force II)

I've played a handful of other things this week, Point Lookout for example, some more HD Remix/SFIV, and some Bully: Scholarship Edition (which i'm also enjoying, but doubt I will go back to now i'm enjoying these two so much) but none of them I felt compelled to write about. So how about you, what are you enjoying this week? Or not enjoying? 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, Phantasy Star II was a pretty good game. Compared to other games at the time, the music sounded like....music.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

Haha yeah i've noticed that, i'm really digging the music it's very catchy, high quality too. I'll not say so much the the horrid sound effects though :P

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I picked up the Sonic Genesis Collection a few weeks ago and  have been meaning to sit down and play through Phantasy Star II and Shining Force.  They look like they'd be right up my alley.  Good to hear that you are enjoying it for the same reasons I'd enjoy it - level grinding is sort of a nice, mindless way to kill the odd hour or two.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Sparky_Buzzsaw:

Yeah, some RPg fans might take offense but I find grinding levels so relaxing (provided the enemies pose no threats) that I can literally put myself to sleep doing it for a couple hours, really usefull when I desperately need to unwind.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Pazy

I tried to play Phantasy Star 2 on the Mega Drive collection for PSP but I couldent get into it. I had a bit better luck with #4 but ended up giving it up in the end because I had too much grinding and almost no hints as to what to do.

But I recently started playing the original Phantasy Star (released originaly for Master System) because my the host of my new favourite video game show likes it,http://www.youtube.com/user/HappyConsoleGamer ,and Im actually loving it even with the mad grinding and the lack of hints as to what to do next. Im not sure what it is that makes me like this game more than #4 but there is something I love about this game. As soon as ive finished it im going to go back and play 2,3 and 4 on my PSP. Cant wait :) Its an awesome series in retrospect, including PSO and PSU/PSP.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Pazy:

I quite liked PSU, although I only played the single player story mode on Xbox, not the online. I couldn't get on the PSO Ep III though, which is odd I like card based battle games. I find the whole PS series is good for some mindless grinding and dungeon crawling fun :D
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
@The_A_Drain:  I agree.  I loved the Suikoden games because I could spend hours leveling all the side characters, developing their weapons and skills, and just have a nice, relaxing time doing it.  I tend to enjoy it in turn-based RPG's more because my vision is craptastic and I can take my time and not have to use twitch reflexes or really get too jumpy.  Give me a meaty RPG any day of the week and you'll find me vegetating in front of it.  Hah!
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Sparky_Buzzsaw:

Haha, and people say action games rot your brains :P
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Pazy
@The_A_Drain said:
" @Pazy: I quite liked PSU, although I only played the single player story mode on Xbox, not the online. I couldn't get on the PSO Ep III though, which is odd I like card based battle games. I find the whole PS series is good for some mindless grinding and dungeon crawling fun :D "

I picked up PSO Ep.3 expecting to get a PSO for Gamecube (thinking it would "automatically be better than the original") and when I realised it was a card game I was annoyed and traded it in. It wasent until a good while after that I realised that while it wasent like PSO Ep1/2 I actually enjoyed it and now its reasnobly hard to get and inflated prices.

PSU's Story Mode is wierd, the story sort of sucks and is annoying but is also awesome in its own way. 

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Pazy:

Yeah, it's not well written or particularly enjoyable, but for some reason I was having a blast, I should really go back and finish it for the easy 1k achieves.

I kept my copy of PSO ep III (as well as PSO, Ep1/2) thankfully, so if I ever want to play them again I can give them a go without worrying about inflated prices (god I hate them :( )
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By danielkempster

Nice read, The_A_Drain. Phantasy Star II is one of those "need to get around to playing" games for me. With two enormous RPGs on the go at the moment in the form of Morrowind and Fallout 3, I don't think now would be the right time to start.

Oh, and no disrespect intended, but as far as mash-up blog titles go, you have a long way to go to match the undisputed master.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain
@dankempster:

Oh none taken, I was just bored when I wrote this haha, I've been meaning to carry ony me "I Review Stupid Things" series with #3 game manuals, but don't have a scanner :\ Theres some manuals i'd really like to say a few words about.

Nice choices on Morrowind and Fallout 3, I personally would take any of those two over Oblivion 7 days of the week.